TD 263: Stephen Sondheim

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

TD 263: Stephen Sondheim

Post by Tigershark »

For my fourth TD quiz, I decided to honor Stephen Sondheim. Don’t worry this is not another musical theatre quiz… well sort of. Questions 1-12 are inspired by twelve Sondheim shows and cover a wide range of topics. While questions 1-12 are not about musical theatre, I did sneak a couple of musical theatre options whenever I could. Questions 13-14 are about Sondheim specifically.

The Rules:

1. Like other TD quizzes, the goal is give the least popular answer. You may select one answer for each question. You will get one point for each person who gave that answer (including yourself). Lowest score at the end of the quiz wins.

2. Several of the questions have bonus questions about the show that inspired the question. All of the bonuses are worth minus one (-1) point each. You do not have to answer the question correctly or even answer the question at all to be eligible for the bonus.

3. For one (1) question, you may select the option Everybody Says Don’t (or DROP) for which you will receive a score of zero (0). You may use this option only once. If you do not use this option, you will receive a bonus of minus six (-6).

4. Additionally, for up to two (2) questions you may select the option Another Hundred People (or SHEEP), for which you will receive a score equal to the higher of the most popular (Sheep). answer or the number of people selecting Another Hundred People.

5. Incorrect answers are equal to the Sheep answer or Another Hundred People answer plus five (+5).

6. Ties will be broken in the following order 1. Number of correct answers, 2. Number of singletons. After that, it will remain a tie.

7. For ALL questions (except for #6), you MUST include the letter, or I will count it wrong. PLEASE check your answers carefully before sending, because I WILL NOT send PMs to remind you to correct your response.

8. PM answers to me. Do not post answers in the thread.

9. The Deadline for entry is Wednesday October 7 at 9 p.m. PT.

10. No cheating. All answers must come from your own brain.
Last edited by Tigershark on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 263: Questions

Post by Tigershark »

1. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1962)

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is a farce set in ancient Rome. The following are images of Roman ruins outside of Italy. Identify the present day country where the ruin can be found. Since many ruins look alike, I am providing clues for some of them.

A-F
Spoiler
G-J
Spoiler
L-M
Spoiler
A. El Jem
B. Leptis Magna
C. Cuicul
D. Sorry, no help on this one
E. Porta Nigra
F. Caesarea
G. Aspendos
H. Sorry no help here
I. Diocletian
J. Jerash
K. Baalbek
L. No Help
M. Conimbriga

2. Anyone Can Whistle (1964)

The plot of Anyone Can Whistle centers around a corrupt mayor who concocts a fake miracle to draw tourists to a bankrupt town. The show ends with a true miracle happening. The Catholic Church teaches that miracles are acts of God directly or by the intersession of specific saints. A patron saint is the heavenly advocate of a place, person, craft, profession, or group of people.

Name the patron saint associated with one of the following:

A. Music/ Musicians
B. Blindness
C. Lost Items
D. Engineers, Ireland
E. fathers, carpenters
F. Lost Causes
G. Sailors, children
H. Fisherman, Scotland
I. Lawyers
J. Television
K. throat ailments
L. Dentists
M. Breast cancer

3. Company (1970)

Company is a concept musical centered around a bachelor, Robert, his married friends, and various girlfriends. The opening lyrics are Bobby... Bobby... Bobby baby... Bobby bubbi... Robby... Robert darling... Bobby, we've been trying to call you.

Identify one of the following Roberts/ Bobs /Robs/ Bobbys, etc.:

A. American engineer who was commissioned by Napoleon to design and build Nautilus, which is considered to be the first practical submarine
B. Hall of Fame baseball player who won the 1971 World Series MVP with the Pittsburgh Pirates
C. Actor best known for playing the patriarch of the Brady Bunch
D. Director who won the 1972 Oscar for Best Director, beating Francis Ford Coppola for “The Godfather”
E. In 2014, this songwriter became the 12th person to complete the EGOT
F. King of Scotland from 1309-1329
G. Quarterback who won the Heisman Trophy in 2011
H. U.S. Attorney General from 1961-1964
I. Entertainer who has hosted the Academy Awards 14 times, which is more than any other host
J. Television producer and writer who created the shows Veronica Mars and iZombie
K. Actor who was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Charlie Chaplin
L. This poet, known primarily for depictions of rural life in New England, was actually born and raised in San Francisco

4. Follies (1971)

Follies is a concept musical about a reunion of former Follies girl. The reunion takes place set in a theater that is about to be torn down. In honor of Follies, name the one of the famous theaters shown below.

A couple of notes: B is located at 1260 6th Avenue in NYC and several Jeopardy episodes taped there. C is located on 42nd Street and is one of the oldest Broadway theaters. It became dilapidated, and was renovated and reopened in 1997. There are two pictures for D, and exterior and an interior. Many of these are outside of the United States.

A-F
Spoiler
G-J
Spoiler
K-M
Spoiler
5. A Little Night Music (1973)

A Little Night Music is based on the Ingmar Bergman film Smiles of a Summer Night. Nearly all of the music is written in waltz time. Given the clips below of famous waltzes, name the composer.
Spoiler
Bonus: The title “A Little Night Music” comes from the English translation of a musical composition by which composer?

6. Pacific Overtures (1976)

Pacific Overtures tells the story of the Westernization of Japan from the Japanese point of view.

Name a city in Japan with a population over 1 million according to the 2010 census. (12 Possible answers)

7. Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1979)

Sweeney Todd is one of the most popular Sondheim shows. Sweeney Todd slits the throats of his customers, while his assistant has an interesting solution to disposing of the bodies. The character of Sweeney Todd first appeared in Victorian Penny Dreadfuls during the 1840s. In honor of Sweeney Todd, given the title of a work of horror fiction, name the author.

A. The Call of Cthulhu
B. The Turn of the Screw
C. Books of Blood (series)
D. Fear Street (series)
E. The Castle of Otranto
F. The Masque of the Red Death
G. I am Legend
H. The Haunting of Hill House
I. Rosemary’s Baby
J. The Exorcist
K. Pet Sematary
L. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Bonus: Who played Tobias in the original Broadway production of Sweeney Todd?

8. Merrily We Roll Along (1981)

Merrily We Roll Along tells the story of three friends. The first scene of the show takes place in 1976 when the friendship has dissolved and they are no longer speaking. The show moves backwards in time, and the last scene of the show is set in 1957 when they first meet. Identify one of these other examples of nonlinear storytelling:

A. Television show, which premiered on ABC in 2004 in which episodes of the first few seasons where characterized by flashbacks, season 3 was characterized by flash forwards, and later seasons jumped erratically through time.
B. 1994 film featuring three intersecting stories which connect and overlap. The first and final scenes of the movie depict the same event, but from different points of view.
C. Musical about a relationship told from both perspectives in a series of sung monologues. Her songs begin after the break up and move backwards in time. His songs start at the beginning and move forward in time. The stories intersect midway through the show at their wedding.
D. 2000 film in which the protagonist suffers from antegrade amnesia and is searching for his wife’s killer. The scenes from the film are shown in reverse order to simulate his amnesia.
E. 2004 film where a woman has all memories of a relationship erased after a painful break-up. After her ex discovers this, he decides to undergo the procedure as well. While undergoing the procedure, he relives the relationship before the memories are erased.
F. 2006 Oscar nominated film directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu featuring three related sequences in Morocco, Japan, and Mexico.
G. Epic poem depicting battles of the Trojan War that established the convention of beginning a narrative in medias res (“in the middle of things”).
H. 2009 film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt about a failed relationship. The film jumps between various days during the course of the relationship.
I. Television series currently airing on the CW network featuring a protagonist who returned after being missing and presumed dead for five years. Nearly every episode mixes scenes from the present day with flashback sequences from the missing five years.
J. English novel, originally published in 1847, in which most of the novel is a flashback about the Earnshaw and Linton families.
K. Pulitzer Prize winning novel by Michael Cunningham inspired by the novel Mrs. Dalloway, which tells the stories of three women of different generations, one in in 1923, one in 1949, and one in 2001.
L. Television drama set in a women’s prison, in which every episode features flashback sequences from one inmate’s life before prison.
M. Musical currently playing on Broadway. The show begins in the present day, as the protagonist begins to write her memoirs. The shows events from her childhood and first year of college, and events unfold in a non-linear sequence.

9. Sunday in the Park with George (1984)

The first act of Sunday in the Park with George is about the creation of the painting “A Sundat Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jette” by Georges Seurat, which can be found in the Art Institute of Chicago. Below are twelve other paintings from the Art Institute of Chicago. Name the Artist.

A-H
Spoiler
I-L
Spoiler
Bonus- A second, less famous, Seurat painting is a major plot point in the show. Name the painting. (The title of the painting does not have to be exact. As long as it’s close, I’ll accept the answer.)

10. Into the Woods (1987)

Into the Woods juxtaposes four familiar fairy tales-- Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Jack and the Beanstalk, along with the story of a baker and his wife and their desire to have a child. The story of Cinderella has been told and retold many times. Identify one of the following with a retelling of Cinderella.

A-B
Are you sick of waltzes? Here are two more. Both come from a larger work entitled “Cinderella.” Name the composer.
Spoiler
C. Name the heroine from a Chinese fairy tale with plot elements similar to the European Cinderella tale. (There are multiple variant spellings. As long as the name is reasonably close, I will accept the answer.)
D. French author of fairy tales who added the pumpkin and glass slippers to the Cinderella story
E. Author of the revisionist novel “Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister”
F. Name of the YA series in which the first book is “Cinder,” a science fiction version of Cinderella.
G. Title of the 1969 made for television adaptation of Cinderella featuring the Muppets.

For letters H-M name the ACTRESS who played Cinderella or the equivalent in one of the following films of television series:
H. Cinderella (1950 animated feature. I’m looking for the actress who provided the voice of Cinderella)
I. Faerie Tale Theater “Cinderella” (1985)
J. Ever After (1998)
K. Once Upon a Time (ABC series)
L. Into the Woods (2014 film version)
M. Cinderella (2015)

Bonus- In the out of town tryout for Into the Woods, a fifth story was part of the show. It was cut from the final version for length, but in the 2002 revival of Into the Woods, characters from this story made a cameo. Name the story.

11. Assassins (1991)

Assassins is a dark concept musical about various historical Assassins.

Given the name of an assassin, name the famous victim:

A. John Bellingham
B. Khalid Islambouli
C. Charlotte Corday
D. Leon Czolgosz
E. Nathuram Godse
F. Ignacy Hryniewiecki
G. Luigi Lucheni
H. Ramon Mercader
I. Prince Faisal bin Mus’id
J. Gavrilo Princip
K. Francois Ravaillac
L. Sirhan Sirhan
M. Dan White

Bonus- Who is the only person listed above that is a character in the musical Assassins?

12. Passion (1994)

Passion is set in 19th century Italy, and the central character is a soldier in the army. 19th century Italy is characterized by the unification of Italy, also known as the Risorgimento. Identify one of the following people associated with the Risorgimento.

A. Nice-born General who fought in many military campaigns that eventually led to the unification of Italy. He is associated with red shirts worn by his volunteers. The state fish of California is named for him.
B. Monarch who became the first king of Italy in 1861
C. Region of Italy that B was king of before becoming the first king of Italy.
D. Statesman who founded the original Liberal Party in Italy. In 1861 became the first Prime Minister of a unified Italy, only to die three months later.
E. Influential Genovese politician and activist who founded “Young Italy,” a secret society dedicated to the unification of Italy.
F. Painter whose most well-known painting. “The Kiss” is considered to portray the spirit of the Risorgimento.
G. Composer who wrote patriotic works. His best known work is the opera The Barber of Seville.
H. The chorus from this composer’s opera Nabucco expressed support for a unified Italy. According to Operabase, this composer was the most performed opera composer in the last five years.
I. Opera composer whose music was often used to promote the Risorgimento, even though he preferred not to get involved in politics. His best known works include The Elixir of Love and Don Pasquale.
J. Author whose novel, “The Betrothed” is a symbol of the Risorgimento and is generally considered a masterpiece of world literature.
K. Last Pope to rule as sovereign of the Papal States. He was the longest serving elected pope, and convened the First Vatican Council, which decreed the dogma of papal infallibility.
L. French emperor who provided military aid to the cause of Italian unification in exchange for the territory of Nice.

13. Sondheim Lyrics

Below are sets of lyrics from the twelve shows that were the inspiration for this quiz. Match the lyrics to the show. Hint: each show is used only once. Since this is a matching question, the letter MUST be included.
Spoiler
A. Green finch and linnet bird,
Nightingale, blackbird,
How is it you sing?
How can you jubilate,
Sitting in cages,
Never taking wing?

Nothing's gonna harm you
Not while I'm around
Nothing's gonna harm you
No sir, not while I'm around
Demons are prowling everywhere
Nowadays
I'll send 'em howling
I don't care, I got ways

B. I am unworthy of your love,
Jodie, Jodie,
Let me prove worthy of you love.
Tell me how I can earn your love,
Set me free.
How can I turn your love to me?

Everybody's got the right to be happy.
Don't stay mad, life's not as bad as it seems.
If you keep your goal in sight,
You can climb to any height.
Everybody's got the right to their dreams...

C. Not a day goes by,
Not a single day
But you're somewhere a part of my life
And it looks like you'll stay.

It's our time, breathe it in:
Worlds to change and worlds to win.
Our turn coming through,
Me and you, man,
Me and you!

D. Another hundred people just got off of the train
And came up through the ground,
While another hundred people just got off of the bus
And are looking around
At another hundred people who got off of the plane
And are looking at us
Who got off of the train
And the plane and the bus
Maybe yesterday.

Somebody, hold me too close,
Somebody, hurt me too deep,
Somebody, sit in my chair
And ruin my sleep
And make me aware
Of being alive,

E. Something familiar,
Something peculiar,
Something for everyone:
A comedy tonight!

Isn't it a shame?
I can neither sew,
Nor cook, Nor read or write my name.
But I'm happy
Merely being lovely,
For it's one thing I can give to you.

F. I'm so happy, I'm afraid I'll die
Here in your arms
What would you do if I died like this -
Right now, here in your arms?

I wish I could forget you.
Erase you from my mind.
But ever since I met you,
I find, I cannot leave the thought of you behind.

G. Not the building but the beam,
Not the garden but the stone,
Only cups of tea
And history
And someone in a tree.

Streams are flowing?
See what's coming
Next!
Winds are blowing?
See what's coming,
See what's going
Next!

H. Agony!
Beyond power of speech,
When the one thing you want
Is the only thing out of your reach.

No more riddles.
No more jests.
No more curses you can't undo,
Left by fathers you never knew.
No more quests.

I. Don't know when, don't know where,
And I can't even say that I care!
All I know is, the minute you turn
And he's suddenly there,
There won't be trumpets!

Everybody says don't,
Everybody says don't,
Everybody says don't walk on the grass,
Don't disturb the peace,
Don't skate on the ice.
Well, I say do.

J. Art isn't easy.
Every minor detail
Is a major decision,
Have to keep things in scale,
Have to hold to your vision-

Stop worrying where you're going-
Move on
If you can know where you're going
You've gone
Just keep moving on

K. I'm just a
Broadway Baby.
Walking off my tired feet.
Pounding Forty-Second Street
To be in a show.

The sun comes up,
I think about you.
The coffee cup,
I think about you.
I want you so,
It's like I'm losing my mind.

L. Every day a little death
In the parlor, in the bed,
In the curtains, in the silver,
In the buttons, in the bread.

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.
14. Various Sondheim Facts

14. I originally was going to have a few bonus questions at the end, but I decided to expand that out into a full question. Please identify one of the various things associated with Stephen Sondheim:

A. Broadway lyricist who was Sondheim’s mentor.
B. Sondheim was a mentor to this composer/lyricist who won the 1996 Tony for Best Score.
C. Autobiographical Off-Broadway musical by B that features a play on the song “Sunday” from “Sunday in the Park with George.”
D. Composer who Sondheim collaborated with for West Side Story.
E. Composer who Sondheim collaborated with for Gypsy.
F. Composer who Sondheim collaborated with for Do I Hear a Waltz?
G. Song for which Sondheim won the 1991 Academy Award for Best Original Song.
H. 2003 film directed by Todd Graff in which Sondheim music is featured heavily, and Stephen Sondheim makes a cameo appearance.
I. Actress who sings “Ladies Who Lunch” in H. She was nominated for a Tony at age 12 in 1998 for “High Society.”
J. Actress who starred in the original casts of “Sunday In the Park with George” and “Into the Woods” as well as revivals of “Follies” and “A Little Night Music.”
K. Television show, which premiered on ABC in 2004, in which nearly every episode title is the name of a Sondheim song.
L. Name of Sondheim’s first musical. It was supposed to be produced as part of the 1954-55 season, but the production fell through. It went unproduced until 1997, and finally had a production Off-Broadway in 2000.
Last edited by Tigershark on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 263...

Post by Tigershark »

Clarifications go here.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 263: Participants

Post by Tigershark »

List of participants.

1. Tabby
2. quarterrican
3. ElendilPickle
4. gamawire
5. Ryno
6. MarkBarrett
7. cf22
8. 9021amyers
9. Peggles
10. dinghammer
11. clprez
12. patkav
13. Blue Lion
14. Peachbox
15. dnbguy
16. immaf
17. jkbrat
18. Lampy
19. Abraxas
20. econgator
21. Linear Gnome
22. dlbookman
23. dott888
24. Magna
25. sillymonkey
26. nightreign
27. barandall800
28. Leander
Last edited by Tigershark on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hmm... If this is a TD about ellipses like I'm reading into from the subject, everyone else might as well sit this one out. I use those almost as much as I do actual words. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Volante wrote:Hmm... If this is a TD about ellipses like I'm reading into from the subject, everyone else might as well sit this one out. I use those almost as much as I do actual words. :D
Dots all, folks.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD 263: Stephen Sondheim

Post by Tigershark »

Questions are now posted. This may be of some help or maybe not: I originally was going to have a tiebreaker question with this quiz. Originally I had three people, places, things, and/or titles that were answers in exactly two questions, and one person, place, thing, or title that was an answer in exactly three questions. For the tiebreaker, you got a score based on how many of those you could identify. I ended up changing the quiz, and one person that was supposed to show up in two answers now only shows up in one. However, there are still two people, places, things, and/or titles that are the answer to two questions and one person, place, thing, or title that is an answer in exactly three questions.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Tough questions - I have a headache now, but my submission is in!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

What?!? No reference to Sondheim's single most important contribution?!? At least to my black-and-white world . . .

Rex
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Absolutely loved this! In The Producers, Max Bialystock is called the "King of Broadway."

Wrong. The real monarch is Stephen Sondheim.

My two favorite Sondheim shows are Sweeney Todd (I'm a sick puppy) and Into the Woods. I have both movies on my DVR and watch each regularly.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Bump!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Wow, another awesome TD, Tigershark! -- nice coverage of the subject matter, great use of multimedia, and a good level of difficulty (challenging without being impossible)!

Thanks so much for writing and hosting; really looking forward to the reveal!
Last edited by jkbrat on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

About 48 hours left to enter. If you are thinking of entering, do. I have the feeling there may be some very surprising singletons on this one. There is at least one question where the answer I predicted would sheep is going unused at the moment.

Also, I'm really hoping that someone gets the bonus on question #7.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Just over 22 hours left to enter. Tons of singletons left!
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

6 hours left! I would love some more entries, or else there are going to be some very, very shocking unused answers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Tigershark wrote:6 hours left! I would love some more entries, or else there are going to be some very, very shocking unused answers.
A well written quiz, but sadly I will have to sit this one out as too many of the topics just aren't in my areas of knowledge.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Bamaman wrote:
Tigershark wrote:6 hours left! I would love some more entries, or else there are going to be some very, very shocking unused answers.
A well written quiz, but sadly I will have to sit this one out as too many of the topics just aren't in my areas of knowledge.
Come on - that never stops me! :D
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gamawire wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Come on - that never stops me! :D
Ditto. I even left the last two blank because I had nothing.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

TD 263: Question 1 Results

Post by Tigershark »

1. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1962)

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is a farce set in ancient Rome. The following are images of Roman ruins outside of Italy. Identify the present day country where the ruin can be found. Since many ruins look alike, I am providing clues for some of them.

A-F
Spoiler
G-J
Spoiler
L-M
Spoiler
A. El Jem
B. Leptis Magna
C. Cuicul
D. Sorry, no help on this one
E. Porta Nigra
F. Caesarea
G. Aspendos
H. Sorry no help here
I. Diocletian
J. Jerash
K. Baalbek
L. No Help
M. Conimbriga

I wanted a question about the Roman empire that had not been done before. I thought about doing a question about Roman literature, but I already had a massive question about Ovid on a previous TD I hosted that took forever to write, and didn't feel like writing another Roman literature question. I'm not sure how I came up with this, but I really liked it.

This question was hard. If I had seen this question, and had not done any of the research, I would have known two of them. Unsurprisingly, those were the two highest scoring answers. Also, not surprising, there were a ton of drops and unused answers.

H. United Kingdom — SHEEP 5 responses
ElendilPickle
immaf
Manga
Ryno
Tabby

L. France — 3 responses
9021amyers
clprez
patkav

B. Libya — 2 responses
jkbrat
Lampy

A. Tunisia — Singleton!
Peggles

D. Spain — Singleton!
Blue Lion

E. Germany — Singleton!
gamawire

K. Lebanon — Singleton!
Abraxas

M. Portugal — Singleton!
sillymonkey

Everybody Says Don't
barandall800
cf22
dlbookman
dnbguy
Linear Gnome
MarkBarrett
quarterrican
Leander

Another Hundred People-Score 5
econgator

Incorrect- Score 10
D. FRANCE
dinghammer
dott888

D. ITALY
nightreign

E. SPAIN
Peachbox

Unused
C. Algeria
F. Israel
G. Turkey
I. Croatia
J. Jordan
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Oh boy, that was one of the few answers I had any confidence in. Those buildings in the background looked so French!

I just found out another answer I thought was right is also wrong, but at least I have somebody to blame for that one. I should probably save up my wrong-answer explanations and post a few at a time so I don't overwhelm the thread. :roll:

And here I thought only the answers I wasn't sure about would be wrong...