Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7136, 2015-09-28

CONTESTANTS
Vicki Eastus, a law school professor and administrator from Brooklyn, New York
Jedidiah Smith, a technical writer from Denver, Colorado
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us once again. Did you notice on the opening when Matt was introduced by Johnny Gilbert, Matt had a very serious face until Johnny said, "Whose cash winnings total $21,200"? Yeah, money changes things, doesn't it? Jedidiah and Vicki, welcome aboard, and good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. Start off with the dollar figures, and we follow that with the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COMPUTER HISTORY (5/5)
THE BRADY BUNCH (5/5)
CRIME OF THE DECADE (5/5)
PLAYING POLITICS (4/5)
FROM PAGE TO MUSICAL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"O-M-G"! (5/5) (Alex: Not, "Oh, my God." Each correct response will begin with an "O", and it will be followed at some point by an "M" and a "G" in that order.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Vicki: 12 R, 0 W
Jedidiah: 0 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Matt had $1,400, Jedidiah was scoreless, and Vicki was at $1,800. Matt made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

FROM PAGE TO MUSICAL $600: Damon Runyon's story "The Idyll of Miss Sarah Brown" rolled the dice as this musical

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $5,000
Vicki: $4,800
Jedidiah: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vicki Eastus is from Brooklyn, New York, and she had a run-in--an unusual run-in on a golf course, and I'd be willing to bet my life that that did not happen in New York. What was the run-in, first of all?

Vicki: Uh, I was playing golf for really the first time, and my field hockey skills had me chip it over--chip the ball over the green, so I'm walking, looking at the water trap, looking at houses across the way, and I notice everyone's yelling at me. And when they finally all, in concert, yelled "Stop", I did, and there was an alligator about as far away from me as you are.

Alex: So this was not New York? Otherwise, I've got to tell my son to move out of that city.

Vicki: No, it was in Florida, and it was the last time I played golf.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Jedidiah Smith, a technical writer from Denver, Colorado. You and I have the same fear, but I don't have an 8-year-old daughter who makes fun of me because of it. Tell the folks.

Jedidiah: Right, I have an 8-year-old daughter. Name is Madelyn. And, uh, when we go to amusement parks, she loves to go on roller coasters, and I don't. So her mom always has to go. And when she always asks me to go, I say, "Well, why doesn't your mom take you?" And I know she's silently judging me because I'm not gonna go on the roller coaster with her.

Alex: 8-year-olds are very judgmental.

Jedidiah: Yes.

Alex: Daughters, particularly.

Alex: Matt Jackson is a paralegal. He's our champion, ladies and gentlemen. And he visited the city of Olympia in Greece.

Matt: Yes.

Alex: And was that special for you?

Matt: Yes, so I was on study abroad, and one of the things that we did when we were touring the ancient Olympic games site was the athletic kids on the trip decided they wanted to do a foot race down the original Olympic stadium.

Alex: Wow. And did you participate?

Matt: Yeah, I came in second to last, but, you know...

Alex: Second to last.

Matt: ...It's all about the experience, isn't it?

Alex: You bet. That's true.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAYING POLITICS $600: Photos taken in this D.C. space that's 36 by 29 feet (well, roughly) may not be used in political campaigns

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $10,000
Vicki: $8,200
Jedidiah: -$1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

I am unfond of this champ. I hate his whiny voice and his angry demeanor. This is the second game he pummeled the buzzer late in DJ and wouldn't let anyone else in.

I hate this game.

I hate any FJ question about hard rock "music." I can't believe Nana Mouskouri was a stand & stare. What OTHER Greek female singer is there? This error was prompted by the blowhard playing the board from the bottom up.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Well I like the champ. He's playing well and he dominated once again.

The only thing I am unfond of is how the Jeopardy site, once again, carelessly spoiled the outcome of a game (they listed Matt's one day carryover from last week as $30,000, which he actually ended up winning today).

I didn't get FJ right. I don't think I even heard of that band before. Terrible name, too.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

floridagator wrote:I am unfond of this champ. I hate his whiny voice and his angry demeanor.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:What OTHER Greek female singer is there?
Yanni? Never heard of Nana whateverhernameis.

I've heard of The Band, but had exactly a zero chance to get it. WAG'd Zep.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rock & Roll

The group Nazareth took its name from the first line of a 1968 song from this other group.
Spoiler
What is The Band? Vicki had Rolling Stones (but it was incomplete), Matt had Janis Joplin Band.
Vicki Eastus: $14,200-$10,000=$4,200

Jedidiah Smith: $2,000+$928=$2,928

Matt Jackson: $35,000-$5,000=$30,000; now a 2-day champion with $51,200
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jedidiah seemed pretty weak. I think at least twice he made guesses that clearly didn't fit.

Lach Trash: Oval Office

Any reason I should know Steve Beshear, Rand Paul, or Henry Clay = Kentucky?

WLT "root" on Botanists for $400? That clue seemed really obscure. Who the hell knows what a radicle is anyway?

I thought that Coolio/LL Cool J was nasty, NASTY negbait for $400. At least give us something to narrow it down!

Secretary of the Treasury in Brady for $600 also seemed like a coinflip, since the treasurer's John Hancock is also on our folding money.

Transistor and oil embargo cost me the runs in Computer History.

Nothing sounded remotely familiar in Crime of the Decade.

Oddly, $400 was my only miss in Double Letter. Couldn't get off sea, bay, ocean in time.

The only Greek musician I know is Kostas, who wrote a few hit country songs in the '90s.

No guess on FJ! Barely heard of The Band, sort of know they had a song called "The Weight", but can't say that I've heard it.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Immediately guessed the FJ song they were looking for, but had to sing the first line in my head before I remembered the group's name.

I would call the champ intense rather than angry.
brick

Post by brick »

I'm still liking this champ. He has a solid game and could be with us a while, not to jinx him.

His answer in FJ made me cringe.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Matt on a great game and win. I had 41 correct responses including two triple stumpers: The Oval Office and Nana Mouskouri. Instaget FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I like rock music, so pretty easy FJ for me. I would not classify The Band as "hard rock."

Matt seems a little awkward, sure, but I enjoy watching a dominating performance, so I'm excited to see how far he goes. Vicki could have been a multi-day champion in many other weeks, but she drew a tough champion.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote:
floridagator wrote:What OTHER Greek female singer is there?
Yanni? Never heard of Nana whateverhernameis.

I've heard of The Band, but had exactly a zero chance to get it. WAG'd Zep.
Yanni is a man, dude. Are you channeling TPH today?

Twitter agrees with me about Matt:

"Dude on Jeopardy is frightening." -- Laurent B. Chevalier
"The guy won jeopardy can't even tie his tie r u joking" -- Willie Beaman
"Matt on Jeopardy has the terrifying smile and affectation of a poorly made cyborg." -- Zach Lee
"Psycho smile game on Jeopardy tonight" -- Kirby Methven
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Any reason I should know Steve Beshear, Rand Paul, or Henry Clay = Kentucky?

Secretary of the Treasury in Brady for $600 also seemed like a coinflip, since the treasurer's John Hancock is also on our folding money.
Secretary of the Treasury is one of the big four cabinet members that is very Jeopardy worthy. Treasurer of the US is a bureaucratic backwater that will not be asked about on Jeopardy. And you should be able to associate important statesmen with their home states. IIRC, Kentucky is a neighbor of yours.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

floridagator wrote:I am unfond of this champ. I hate his whiny voice and his angry demeanor. This is the second game he pummeled the buzzer late in DJ and wouldn't let anyone else in.
I hope this is an attempt at satire, since otherwise you are saying you're unfond of people who play the game well.

I felt bad for Jedidiah, sandwiched between Matt, who was a 1-man buzzsaw, and Vicki, who seemed to get in whenever Matt didn't, and could have been a champion herself if she hadn't had the misfortune to face Matt.

I've heard "The Weight," and deep in the recesses of my brain I knew it was by The Band, but I couldn't place the song when I thought of the lyric. That song was just a little before my time. So for the first time this season I start a week 0-1 on FJ's.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

I burst into uncontrollable laughter during the intro. Most returning champs are slightly dazed in their first defending match just because of the shock factor of having to come back and do it all over again 10 minutes later - Matt was staring at the camera with a "You think this is a GAME?" face until the slow smile at the end. I suspect he's not going to be very popular with the casual social media crowd, but to anyone who watches for the strategy factor, heck yeah, that's the good stuff right there.

No guess on FJ, which embarrasses me to admit. Was there a tease-out factor that I was missing or was it just a YKIOYD clue?
Last edited by TheSunWillComeOut on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought that Coolio/LL Cool J was nasty, NASTY negbait for $400. At least give us something to narrow it down!
I agree that it was a tough neg, but while I couldn't come up with Coolio in time, I did know that Ladies Love Cool James, so it wasn't L.
brick

Post by brick »

MitchO wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought that Coolio/LL Cool J was nasty, NASTY negbait for $400. At least give us something to narrow it down!
I agree that it was a tough neg, but while I couldn't come up with Coolio in time, I did know that Ladies Love Cool James, so it wasn't L.
They gave us Coolios surname, so I suppose it could have been. But it obvs isn't.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

brick wrote:
MitchO wrote:
They gave us Coolios surname, so I suppose it could have been. But it obvs isn't.
No, they gave us Coolio's FULL name.
Artis Leon Ivey Jr. (born August 1, 1963), better known by the stage name Coolio
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
No guess on FJ, which embarrasses me to admit. Was there a tease-out factor that I was missing or was it just a YKIOYD clue?

I think it's YKIOYD, but looking at it now, I see that the word "band" is conspicuously absent from the clue, where normally it would be used to describe the "group," yes?
brick

Post by brick »

MitchO wrote:
brick wrote:
MitchO wrote:
No, they gave us Coolio's FULL name.
Artis Leon Ivey Jr. (born August 1, 1963), better known by the stage name Coolio
Thank you for the correction.