Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7137, 2015-09-29

Matt Jackson game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Alan Sherman, a freelance political consultant from Mountain View, California
Cam Hoang, an attorney from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 2-day cash winnings total $51,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, everyone. Welcome to our show. This is the third week of Jeopardy! in the new season, and we're kind of settled down and we're on cruise control right now. That's certainly true of Matt, who was brilliant yesterday to start the week off. Cam and Alan, you've got your work cut out for you, but it can be done. Good luck. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEATER RHYME TIME (5/5)
FRUITS & VEGETABLES (2/5)
DECIMALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE DICTIONARY (5/5)
HAIRLESS BANDS (5/5)
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Matt: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Cam: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $1,800
Matt: $1,800
Cam: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Does anyone write anymore? Pick up a pen and write? Alan Sherman, I understand, proposed to his lady...

Alan: Yes.

Alex: ...by writing a sonnet.

Alan: Yes.

Alex: Not tweeting a sonnet.

Alan: Correct.

Alex: You wrote it.

Alan: Well, you can't tweet a sonnet 'cause it's 14 lines, um...

Alex: One line at a time.

Alan: Right. So my wife, Andrea--uh, I wrote a sonnet for her, and we were at a beach by ourselves. And I read the sonnet to her, and at the last line, I got down on my knee. And--and I asked her to marry me, and she said yes.

Alex: That's--that's cool.

Alan: Yeah.

Alex: Cam Hoang, attorney from Minneapolis, English is your second language, and you majored in English in college?

Cam: That's right. I actually learned English watching Sesame Street as a child. And, uh, I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment. I liked it so much that I decided to go on and major in it.

Alex: I learned English by watching Sesame Street in my 20s.

[Laughter]

Alex: I love the Count.

Alex: Okay, Matt Jackson, paralegal from Washington D.C., who was involved in a Supreme Court case?

Matt: Yes, so I like to say that I won a Supreme Court case this year. What that actually means is that I proofread a section of a brief that was submitted by a party that was submitting, as a friend of the court, on the winning side. But, hey, I take the credit where I can.

[Laughter]

Alex: I didn't understand anything of what you just said, but good for you!

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Matt had $4,200, Cam had $800, and Alan was at $4,400. Alan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

DECIMALS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents as the digits of pi appear on the monitor one by one.) When it's expressed as a decimal, pi never repeats or terminates, so it's one of these numbers that sound like they could use a little therapy

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FRUITS & VEGETABLES $600: The fruit sold under this name, from that of an Italian estate, is a muskmelon

FRUITS & VEGETABLES $800: Almost all California raisins are produced from this seedless grape named for an English immigrant

FRUITS & VEGETABLES $1000: Pickled pods of this have been called "a standard hors d'oeuvre at... every Southern cocktail party"
(Cam: What are pea pods?)

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE $1000: The first person born in the Americas to be canonized was this woman of Lima

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $9,400
Matt: $5,000
Cam: $800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK 125th ANNIVERSARY (5/5)
ROLE IN COMMON (2/5)
"MM" BOP (4/5)
COUNTRIES IN SPANISH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERARY BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: I thought we had that in the first round, but this one is a little different.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Alan: 7 R, 4 W
Cam: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Matt had $6,600, Cam had $2,400, and Alan was at $9,400. Matt wagered $5,000.

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE $1200: This brigadier general who gave his name to a Colorado peak was killed during the War of 1812

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Matt had $22,000, Cam had $1,200, and Alan was at $7,800. Matt wagered $3,000.

COUNTRIES IN SPANISH $800: Reino Unido

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROLE IN COMMON $1200: "Men in Black 3" had Josh Brolin as the young Agent K; he's the older Agent K
(Alan: Who is James Garner?)
(Cam: Who is, uh... Thompson?)

ROLE IN COMMON $1600: In "Beaches", this actress "blossomed" into Bette Midler
(Cam: Who is Sissy Spacek?)

ROLE IN COMMON $2000: Ryan Gosling ages into this actor in the weepie romance "The Notebook"
(Alex: Alan, now is the time for [*]!)

"MM" BOP $1200: Ironically, it was the for the movie "Beginners" that at 82 he became the oldest person to win an acting Oscar
(Alan: Who is Philip Seymour Hoffman?)

COUNTRIES IN SPANISH $2000: Costa de Marfil

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE $2000: From 1949 to 1953 this five-star general served as the first chairman of the joint Chiefs of Staff

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $26,600 (lock game)
Alan: $10,200
Cam: $3,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: If you have traveled to Europe, you might have a slight edge in dealing with European museums. Let's see. Here is the clue...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN MUSEUMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Alan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Cam: You've no hope of catching up... unless Alan does something stupid. So risk $3,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In one of her last official acts before abdicating, Queen Beatrix reopened this museum after a 10-year renovation

FINAL SCORES
Cam: $3,200 + $3,100 = $6,300 (What is the Rikjsmuseum?) (3rd place)
Alan: $10,200 + $3,773 = $13,973 (What is the Rijksmusem Rijksmuseum?) (2nd place)
Matt: $26,600 + $3,400 = $30,000 (What is the Rijksmuseum) (51201-day champion: $30,000)
(Alex: [To Cam] [*] in Amsterdam, of course. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.)
(Alex: [To Alan] And he spelled it correctly.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $20,600, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Alan: $6,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Cam: $3,200, 7 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 25/60 = .417
Alan: 20/59 = .339
Cam: 8/58 = .138
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEATER RHYME TIME $400: A place to sell stage objects
(Alan: What is a store store?)

FRUITS & VEGETABLES $200: A veggie that comes in spears, or the genus it belongs to
(Matt: What is broccoli?)

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE $600: Formed in 1980, it's the largest animal rights organization in the world
(Cam: What is the Humane Society?)

DECIMALS $600: Though not required, "trailing" these to the right of a decimal point are often used to show levels of accuracy
(Matt: What are digits?)

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK 125th ANNIVERSARY $1200: Yosemite Valley is home to groves of these giant conifers that lend their name to another national park 100 miles south

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK 125th ANNIVERSARY $1600: In 1903 this naturalist took Teddy Roosevelt on a personal tour of Yosemite, leading to further federal protected areas

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK 125th ANNIVERSARY $2000: Featured on California's state quarter, this iconic granite formation rises to nearly 9,000 feet in elevation

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK 125th ANNIVERSARY $800: Waterfalls, like the 2,000 foot Sentinel Falls, remind you you're in the mountains, the western slopes of this California range

LITERARY BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Milan Kundera's "Unbearable" novel turns into a 1999 film about literally getting into a real-life movie star's head
(Alan: What is The Unbearable Lightness of Being Sarah Marshall?)

ROLE IN COMMON $800: (Hi, I'm Zachary Quinto.) In March 2015 I got to reminisce with Conan O'Brien about the beautiful life of this man with whom I shared a role

COUNTRIES IN SPANISH $400: Corea del Sur
(Alan: What is South Africa?)

"MM" BOP $400: It was about as large or even larger than a modern-day elephant

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK 125th ANNIVERSARY $400: Larger animal life includes mule deer, black bears, mountain lions & this stocky species of sheep

CORRECT RESPONSES
irrational numbers
cantaloupe
Thompson seedless grapes
okra
St. Rose of Lima
(Zebulon) Pike
the United Kingdom
Tommy Lee Jones
Mayim Bialik
James Garner
Christopher Plummer
Côte d'Ivoire
Omar Bradley
the Rijksmuseum
a prop shop
asparagus
PETA
zeroes
sequoias
(John) Muir
Half Dome
the Sierra Nevada
The Unbearable Lightness of Being John Malkovich
(Leonard) Nimoy
South Korea
a mammoth
bighorn

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 pm

European Museums.

In one of her last official acts before abdicating, Queen Beatrix reopened this museum after a 10-year renovation.
Spoiler
Show
What is the Rijksmuseum?
Cam Hoang: $3,200+$3,100=$6,300

Alan Sherman: $10,200+$3,773=$13,973

Matt Jackson: $26,600+$3,400=$30,000; now a three-day champion with $81,200
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Abraxas » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Congrats to Matt on another outstanding game and win. Alan put up a good challenge in the first round, but he could not keep up in the second. The first three clues of the game were all triple stumpers. I had 37 correct responses including three triple stumpers: cantaloupe, Thompson, and James Garner. I also got FJ.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Second person I've seen with the name Cam. The first is the singer of this excellent song:

phpBB [video]

Lach Trash: cantaloupe (blech), Ivory Coast.

Ran Dictionary. Got all but $200 in Decimals, because I was confused by the wording. I thought they were asking for a term, not just "express 1/4 as a decimal".

I think this is the first time I've ever had a $10,000 Coryat at the end of the J! round. Interestingly, I gained exactly $10,000 in DJ!

Precalled "Alemania" in Countries in Spanish. Got all but Latvia, which I actually thought was the hardest since it was the only one that hinged on knowing exactly where the country is instead of spotting the cognate.

Is there a way I can get my mind to stop conflating Yosemite and Yellowstone?

No guess on FJ! NHO the correct response.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:38 pm

Anyone else think it was getting a little competitive between Matt and Alan there? I saw some directional glasses, and a lot of arm movements between the two of them. I'm sure it was heat of the moment stuff, but yeah ...

brick

Post by brick » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Poor Alan. He had the kind of play that would have won on many other days. He looked a little peeved at the end of DJ, but pulled himself together during the break.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 pm

That was just a car crash for Alan in Double Jeopardy, negging all over the place. Matt will be up on the TOC tracker after tonight's game, knocking Darren off, but I wouldn't count chickens unless he wins tomorrow.

Leander

Post by Leander » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 pm

One thing I hate about playing the board from the bottom up is that it makes the last couple of minutes of play pointless, like tonight.

Instaget FJ for me, a little surprised it was a triple get.

BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:55 pm

I've been to the Rijksmuseum but thought Queen Beatrix was from Denmark for some reason, so I couldn't come up with anything.

Matt, meanwhile, is on a roll.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:04 pm

38 right.

Theater (3), Fruit/Veg (2), Dec (2), Dict (4), Band (3), Gen (4)
Yosemite (3), Role (5), "MM" (2), Span (3), Lit BA (3), General (4)

Lach Trash: "Tommy Lee Jones", "Mayim Bialik", "James Garner", "Ivory Coast"

I knew Beatrix was Queen of the Netherlands, and I was torn between the Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, and Van Gogh Museum; went with Van Gogh.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:43 pm

RIP Darren Harris-Fain's TOC dreams.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Second game in a row that the player in the middle got crushed by Matt and the right side challenger.
Anybody catch Allen giving a glance toward Cam after he answered the "Glutton" for punishment clue?

One thing I have noticed about Matt so far is his fondness for round numbers in his FJ calculations. Today he left $2799 on the table (which coincidentally was the same amount he left in his first game) for a combined total of $7197 extra that he could have safely risked. Granted it has only cost him $2197 because of his incorrect guess yesterday, but still....
IMHO, when you have a lock you should either make the maximum safe wager or bet zero if you are leary of the category.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:16 pm

Category 13 wrote:bet zero if you are leary of the category.
Or leery.

Or Timothy.

mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Category 13 wrote:Second game in a row that the player in the middle got crushed by Matt and the right side challenger.
Actually the middle podium has not been kind to several players thus far -- Cam, Jedidiah, Sue, Kyle... maybe Talia damaged the buzzer?

Also, every new champ has come from the right podium.
Learned League: KimEd

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Congrats to Matt on another win!

For the second night in a row I found the J! round to be hard, but then did very well in DJ. The only clue that I got in the category on film roles was "James Garner," at the bottom of the board. Yes, I have seen The Notebook.

I got FJ by guessing the only museum that I know that is located in The Netherlands.

Once again, I think that Matt could have done better on his DD wagers. He made the nice round number wager of $5000 on the first one, and he should have just gone all in. Then on the second one he wagered $3000, but I think that it would have been better to go small there and not put the lock at more risk on a miss. It was a second row clue, but there is still no guarantee that it won't be an unusually difficult clue.

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 pm

mrexley wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Second game in a row that the player in the middle got crushed by Matt and the right side challenger.
Actually the middle podium has not been kind to several players thus far -- Cam, Jedidiah, Sue, Kyle... maybe Talia damaged the buzzer?

Y'know, I wonder if there's anything to this theory. Has anyone ever done a breakdown of whether one new-player podium is likelier over the other to result in the contestant advancing to the winner's podium? The only psychological difference I can think of is that it might be more intimidating to be in the middle because you have the winner on one side and your opponent on the left, so you're more conscious of the competition.

I started on middle podium, but that might have given me an advantage because that's the one I was hoping to get.

Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 pm

mrexley wrote:

Although I'm sure the recent bad luck of the middle contestant is 99.9% coincidence, I think the middle podium might have a tiny, yet legitimate, disadvantage. It is slightly more distracting to hear furious buzzer clicking and responses coming from either side of you, instead of just one side. Does this determine the outcome of games? Almost certainly not, but it is something I noticed. You can see me behind the middle podium on Thursday.

Golf

Post by Golf » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 pm

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Y'know, I wonder if there's anything to this theory. Has anyone ever done a breakdown of whether one new-player podium is likelier over the other to result in the contestant advancing to the winner's podium? The only psychological difference I can think of is that it might be more intimidating to be in the middle because you have the winner on one side and your opponent on the left, so you're more conscious of the competition.
Shirley, you can't be serious.

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Golf wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Y'know, I wonder if there's anything to this theory. Has anyone ever done a breakdown of whether one new-player podium is likelier over the other to result in the contestant advancing to the winner's podium? The only psychological difference I can think of is that it might be more intimidating to be in the middle because you have the winner on one side and your opponent on the left, so you're more conscious of the competition.
Shirley, you can't be serious.
I am serious. And... [etc.]

C'mon, if we can speculate about optimal Sony cafeteria lunch choices, we can do this, too.