Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:No R.E.M. in HAIRLESS BANDS? I lost that bet.
REM is in the J!6 clue, which tells me it was the backup clue if needed.

Loved the Spanish countries category, of courses, and yes, I also would have TDD'd that DD.

Judges: IN THE DICTIONARY $800: Clue: "It's defined as any substance with the tendency to produce a cancer". "Carcinogen" was given, would my adverbial "carcinogenic" be accepted?

Like many of y'all (and the players) I got (and spelled correctly) Rijksmuseum, but I'm with gnash:
gnash wrote: Cam's answer shouldn't have been accepted (Vilnuis), but my guess is they didn't care since it didn't affect the standings.
, citing the Vilnuis precedent. However, I don't think we can use that as an excuse, "emanciptation" didn't affect the standings either (as boardies love to point out to Hurley-boosters who loudly call for extra money to be given as restitution) yet that spelling was judged according to the rules. I just don't think anyone caught it.
gnash wrote: It isn't silent. It also isn't a letter. "ij" is the Dutch way of writing "y".
Truth. Which is why the Rijksmuseum is pronounced that way. (Yet, for some reason I still pronounce IJsselmeer as "ee-JESS-el-meer" - I *know* it should be more like "EES-el-meer")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

gnash wrote: It isn't silent. It also isn't a letter. "ij" is the Dutch way of writing "y".
Then due to phonetics rules, that makes "Ryksmuseum" acceptable, and thus by extension "Riksmuseum" which makes the 'j' silent using English pronunciation, and we're back to accepting "Rikjsmuseum" since there's no way to know where the j goes simply by hearing it aloud.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mystcmage wrote: I would have had my first 50 if not for coming up with Omar Bradley too late and guessing El Capitan for Half Dome.
Shouldn't have updated OS X so soon; it wouldn't have been on your mind :D
http://gizmodo.com/the-new-version-of-o ... 1733732062
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
Then due to phonetics rules, that makes "Ryksmuseum" acceptable, and thus by extension "Riksmuseum" which makes the 'j' silent using English pronunciation, and we're back to accepting "Rikjsmuseum" since there's no way to know where the j goes simply by hearing it aloud.
But the point is that there is no "j" in Rijksmuseum. "IJ" is a letter in Dutch on its own, that isn't two characters, it's one, "Rijksmuseum" is actually a ten letter word.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MarkBarrett wrote:We have not discussed music enough in the Monday thread. No R.E.M. in HAIRLESS BANDS? I lost that bet.
Ed Cassidy, the drummer in Spirit, was probably the first rock and roll shaved head guy. Would have made a good $1000 clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote:
But the point is that there is no "j" in Rijksmuseum. "IJ" is a letter in Dutch on its own, that isn't two characters, it's one, "Rijksmuseum" is actually a ten letter word.
I knew that "ij" is pronounced Y because of the store Meijer, which was founded by a Dutch immigrant and is pronounced more or less like "Meyer".
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,800
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: cantaloupe, Thompson seedless, okra, Tommy Lee Jones, Mayim Bialik, James Garner

How have I gotten to this point in life without ever having heard of the Rijksmuseum?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Over-the-counter meditation

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

For pi I said that it's a transcendental number (which it is) and, since transcendental meditation can be a form of psychotherapy, it should satisfy the clue as well as "irrational."

And it's "RAYKS-moozayoom."
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Over-the-counter meditation

Post by tiwonge »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:For pi I said that it's a transcendental number (which it is) and, since transcendental meditation can be a form of psychotherapy, it should satisfy the clue as well as "irrational.""
The clue mentioned that it was (irrational) because the decimal representation does not end or repeat. That is the definition of an irrational number, not a transcendental number. (I also thought of transcendental first. I would have counted the question wrong.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:When Cam's "Rikjsmuseum" was accepted I was afraid I had blown it on the spelling. It was very nice of Alex to assure me that Alan had it spelled correctly.
Cam's answer shouldn't have been accepted (Vilnuis), but my guess is they didn't care since it didn't affect the standings.
It's a little different when the misplaced letter is silent (for English-speaking purposes at least). I don't think the judges feel so emanciptated that they'll rule a wrong response correct if it doesn't affect the standings.

EDIT: I see now that both my arguments have been made upthread. For the record, I am not swayed by the counter-arguments. I still agree with me.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:Matt knows his stuff and has pulled away late twice against strong competition. I wonder how he would have done if he had drawn both Alan and Vicki from yesterday on the same show.
That would make things easier, wouldn't it? They'd be stealing points from each other.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: IN THE DICTIONARY $800: Clue: "It's defined as any substance with the tendency to produce a cancer". "Carcinogen" was given, would my adverbial "carcinogenic" be accepted?
Adverbial? You responded carcinogenically? Are you the new Marvel supervillain?

"Carcinogenic" is right on the line. Not being a noun (or an adverb, but that's not Shirley right now), it can't be a "substance". But you could argue that the response could be construed as "What is [a] carcinogenic [substance]?" This seems like an issue the judges would or at least should have settled ahead of time. I always wish we could see Alex's notes in cases like this. Did they tell him to accept "carcinogenic" or oooh sorry it?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mystcmage wrote:It doesn't make for much drama, but I love watching Matt steamroll through these games.
Arthur Chu's games were among my favorites and I could see this easily lasting 11 games.
If I ever get on the show, this is exactly what I want to emulate.
I'd rather emulate Julia Collins.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:Things I (and apparently Alan) learned today....Zebulon Pike died in the War of 1812.
Same here. I guessed Long. Had no idea Pike died that early.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Things I (and apparently Alan) learned today....Zebulon Pike died in the War of 1812.
I got it from "peak" being in the answer and that is the only mountain I am aware of (in Colorado) called a peak. From his expression, Alan was guessing as well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I got it from "peak" being in the answer and that is the only mountain I am aware of (in Colorado) called a peak. From his expression, Alan was guessing as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longs_Peak
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote:
The j affects the pronunciation, I understand. If the category was "Dutch Linguistics," this would matter. Since the j is not voiced as a consonant but as an unEnglish diphthong to an English-speaking eye and ear it's silent. J! is usually more lenient with foreign words, especially around vowels. (I'd say they probably should have accepted Vilnuis too, but those vowels arguably don't form a diphthong, they're separate syllables.)

According to the Archive, they have accepted these spellings in Final Jeopardy, missing j's and misplaced y's and all...
Rekyavik, Reykyavik, Rejykivic
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Leander wrote:One thing I hate about playing the board from the bottom up is that it makes the last couple of minutes of play pointless, like tonight.

Instaget FJ for me, a little surprised it was a triple get.
Totally agree on both counts. I know it's up to the players to determine their own strategy, but I wouldn't mind seeing more top-down play, or at least not picking the bottom-row clues right off the bat.

I was so proud of myself to get FJ, thinking what a good get that was. Then, a triple get. Must me more common knowledge than I realized.

Once again Matt looked awesome. I sense a ToC player here.
Bclay

Post by Bclay »

MitchO wrote:Anyone else think it was getting a little competitive between Matt and Alan there? I saw some directional glasses, and a lot of arm movements between the two of them. I'm sure it was heat of the moment stuff, but yeah ...
Maybe there were others, but I think one of those times Alan was looking at Cam. For her story, she had mentioned that she learned English as a second language and that she must be a "glutton for punishment" because she went on to major in it. Just a few clues later, the clue was 'This word for a person with a big appetite often precedes "for punishment"' so Alan shot her a glance after answering, kind of just to acknowledge the funny coincidence.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

A couple of interesting points have been brought up here. I too was bothered by the Rikjsmuseum spelling, but since it's never an arrangement that you'd see in Dutch for the reasons cited above, I have no idea whether the judges should have ruled it incorrect. One thing I'm surprised no one has commented on is that Rijksmuseum isn't quite so Pavlovic as one would surmise from reading this thread since the Rijksmuseum Vincent van Gogh is a bone fide tourist draw in its own right (and, I find, underwent a comparatively brief renovation in 2012). I also am not sure about how to rule on transcendental number for the pi clue, since they are a subset of irrational numbers that pi falls into.