Q for folks who've auditioned recently

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Q for folks who've auditioned recently

Post by gobobbygo »

Spoiler
Placeholder for the post that's setting off errors when I hit submit. Will be editing in pieces of original post until I figure out which piece is verboten... Bizarre, it turned out to be the smiley. Apparently one can't copy an embarrassed-face smiley from mail.app and paste it in here. Who knew?
A friend just introduced me (via email) to another friend who has an audition in a couple of weeks. While I typed out my standard infodump of advice (a wonder that I don't have it saved as a text file somewhere), he sent this:
As much as I really do appreciate this introduction, I'm hesitant to ask many (or any) questions about Jeopardy! for the simple fact that I've signed some random form that says I haven't talked to any previous contestants. If Tuesday somehow DOES go well, I suppose it will be a game on situation.
Of course I didn't see it until I hit send.

I've heard of lots of restrictions, but I've never heard of that one. Is he misremembering? Or have they started telling people not to talk to former contestants? Why on earth would they do that?
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Re: Q for folks who've auditioned recently

Post by caknuck »

gobobbygo wrote:
Spoiler
Placeholder for the post that's setting off errors when I hit submit. Will be editing in pieces of original post until I figure out which piece is verboten... Bizarre, it turned out to be the smiley. Apparently one can't copy an embarrassed-face smiley from mail.app and paste it in here. Who knew?
A friend just introduced me (via email) to another friend who has an audition in a couple of weeks. While I typed out my standard infodump of advice (a wonder that I don't have it saved as a text file somewhere), he sent this:
As much as I really do appreciate this introduction, I'm hesitant to ask many (or any) questions about Jeopardy! for the simple fact that I've signed some random form that says I haven't talked to any previous contestants. If Tuesday somehow DOES go well, I suppose it will be a game on situation.
Of course I didn't see it until I hit send.

I've heard of lots of restrictions, but I've never heard of that one. Is he misremembering? Or have they started telling people not to talk to former contestants? Why on earth would they do that?
They ask you who you've talked to that's appeared on the show (or is otherwise related to its production, i.e. employees of CBS Television) and the nature of your conversations.

Tell your friend's friend that they go through the same disclosure process if and when he gets "The Call", so any contact he's had with you -- or any of us miscreants -- can be disclosed at that time.
@caknuck
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I doubt emailing with you will be disqualifying. I mean, they let Kristin Sausville on....

That having been said (and maybe with a little more snark than I intended--sorry), I'll admit that between the time I got the Call and the time I taped, I scrupulously avoided any possible contact with a college friend of my wife's who was a five-time champion back in 1980-something, just in case TPTB would look askance.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

If I'm understanding your post correctly, it's just talking about the part of the form that has you list all the people that have been on the show. As long as you're up front with them, it shouldn't be a problem. As was brought up, Kristin got on, so ...

To put it in perspective, I had 76 names on mine (about 4 or 5 of those weren't people that have been on, but were also "in the pool", but I listed them for due diligence"). I had talked with some of them as recently as the night before my audition. Andy Saunders had north of 200 people on his form, it made for a great interview segment at his audition.

So, as long as you're up from with them (I basically listed who I've talked with, in what way (Facebook, jboard, Live Panel chats, in person, etc., public or private chats), and I also mentioned that I was a boardie), there's no worries.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The exact wording, by the way, is
The Paperwork wrote: DO YOU KNOW OR HAVE YOU COMMUNICATED WITH ANYONE WHO HAS EVER APPEARED AS A
CONTESTANT ON JEOPARDY!? YES____ NO ____, IF YES, PLEASE GIVE DETAILS REGARDING THE
RELATIONSHIP/COMMUNICATIONS (FOR EXAMPLE, NAME(S) OF PERSON, FREQUENCY, MOST RECENT
CONTACT, ETC.): (USE BACK IF NECESSARY)
(Of course I have my paperwork saved). Nowhere does it say you're disqualified for knowing people, we have several boardies on recently who wouldn't be otherwise. They're just interested in keeping things on the up and up.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012