Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Re: Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

harrumph wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: I was hoping one of the players would take the opportunity to do the "King Tut" dance, which was straight-up presented to them on a silver platter. PFFT.
Geez what a youtube moment it would have been had you answered it during your reign!
Ahem: http://www.j-archive.com/media/2015-07-16_J_23.jpg

HOW CAN YOU GIVE THAT ANSWER ANY OTHER WAY
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Still unanswered:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT The Simpsons on TV for $200, or London at $400? Just "pick a random capital"?
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2473

That is the appropriate place when somebody has not answered your questions and you still are hoping for an answer. That's the second time this week you've asked about questions being unanswered.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

stevo4212 wrote:Why can't quizbowl be a game that adults would pay to play, for the chance to earn cash prizes, etc.? Instead of cribbage or bridge club, go to quizbowl club, and earn masterpoints, etc. I guess bar trivia is something like that, but the games are not uniform, too much trash, and there is no centralized national stat tracker for that sort of thing. Maybe O'Brien's bar trivia is the closest thing they have.
Every now and then, there are "Open" tournaments where players don't have to be students to play. However, these are usually "Masters" academic events where former players battle on even harder questions than the championship college canon. There are also pop culture "Trash" tournaments, although they emphasize video games and recent entertainment much more so than Jeopardy! If any of these come along, I'll post a new thread about them.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Like Tony, I had "Tennessee Waltz" for Texas Two-Step.

I think Matt and I agonized over the "Copyright Act" DD for the same reasons - "It can't be THAT simple, can it? Maybe so..."
I knew it couldn't be a waltz because waltzes are in 3/4 time. The clue description had four steps which just wouldn't work.

I definitely did the same thing on Copyright Act. It was the first thing that occurred to me, but I wouldn't want to blurt it out. Take a couple of seconds and see if anything's a closer fit.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:

I think Matt and I agonized over the "Copyright Act" DD for the same reasons - "It can't be THAT simple, can it? Maybe so..."
I knew it couldn't be a waltz because waltzes are in 3/4 time. The clue description had four steps which just wouldn't work.

I definitely did the same thing on Copyright Act. It was the first thing that occurred to me, but I wouldn't want to blurt it out. Take a couple of seconds and see if anything's a closer fit.

Yeah. I've noticed that unlike Arthur, Matt is glad to stand and think for the time allotted when he finds a DD, but he stood there so long on that one we started to get very nervous for him!
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Yeah. I've noticed that unlike Arthur, Matt is glad to stand and think for the time allotted when he finds a DD, but he stood there so long on that one we started to get very nervous for him!
Haha, I'd love to see the numbers on how many boardies paused on that one just because they were thinking, "Okay, but is it the Copyright Act or the SOMETHING-SOMETHING Copyright Act"?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Haha, I'd love to see the numbers on how many boardies paused on that one just because they were thinking, "Okay, but is it the Copyright Act or the SOMETHING-SOMETHING Copyright Act"?
You mean the Smoot–Hawley Copyright act.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

harrumph wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Nice!
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

harrumph wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

:lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
harrumph wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: I was hoping one of the players would take the opportunity to do the "King Tut" dance, which was straight-up presented to them on a silver platter. PFFT.
Geez what a youtube moment it would have been had you answered it during your reign!

Ooo, sorry, that's not "King Tut", that's "I'm A Little Teapot"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

dhkendall wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
harrumph wrote:

Ooo, sorry, that's not "King Tut", that's "I'm A Little Teapot"
Yeah, it wasn't until after the fact that I realized the correct "King Tut" dance requires both hands in front, like so:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/s/stevema ... ion-14.jpg

Next contestant who gets a "King Tut" question is required to do this:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/d01760e8f631 ... o1_500.gif
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
Alex's impressions amuse me greatly, but c'mon, don't do an Eleanor Roosevelt impression for a FJ about Eleanor Roosevelt.
How many people know what she sounds like?

Yet another woman who put up with a philandering husband for the sake of power.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

harrumph wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Haha, I'd love to see the numbers on how many boardies paused on that one just because they were thinking, "Okay, but is it the Copyright Act or the SOMETHING-SOMETHING Copyright Act"?
Nice to see that THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF has become such a running gag here. Someone has to give that as a joke answer sometime.

I, too, clammed on Copyright Act since I didn't think it'd be that straightforward.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Vanya wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
Alex's impressions amuse me greatly, but c'mon, don't do an Eleanor Roosevelt impression for a FJ about Eleanor Roosevelt.

Who hurt you, Vanya?

Many people know what she sounded like. Here, have Eleanor Roosevelt's game-show appearance on the wonderful What's My Line?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrry_ttDLqU
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Haha, I'd love to see the numbers on how many boardies paused on that one just because they were thinking, "Okay, but is it the Copyright Act or the SOMETHING-SOMETHING Copyright Act"?
I did pause, but I got it right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Did Temple and Roosevelt have the exact same job at the U.N.? Our old friend Wikipedia says Temple was a representative and that Roosevelt was a delegate. What is the difference?
I can't find a difference between the two.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but someone posted on the quiz bowl message board that Matt has made it onto The Soup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9G8_2LKPFM
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Who hurt you, Vanya?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Vanya wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Who hurt you, Vanya?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY
I LOLed.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
Vanya wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:

Who hurt you, Vanya?

Many people know what she sounded like. Here, have Eleanor Roosevelt's game-show appearance on the wonderful What's My Line?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrry_ttDLqU
Good succinct response. Thanks for finding and posting that clip. Back then W'sML was a really big shewww!