Ties on Jeopardy! RIP

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Ties on Jeopardy! RIP

Post by Winchell Factor »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:A Facebook friend of mine posted an opinion yesterday that people that don't offer ties in Jeopardy by wagering the extra dollar are being "bad sports". Leaving aside the falsity of this statement in the former tie situation, I informed the individual that ties were no longer permitted on Jeopardy, explaining the history behind this decision. Much to my surprise though, when I looked on Google for an official link to cite for this I could not find one, just comments by "unofficial" websites (like this one) that the change was likely to occur. Even Wikipedia and game show pages that explain Jeopardy still state that ties are allowed on Jeopardy and that co-champions return when they occur. Have I missed something? Did the change not occur? I believe I remember reading that contestants here that filmed in the past year were informed of the new rule prohibiting ties, but it is odd that a significant number of websites have not been updated to reflect this. :?

I was in a similar situation since I wanted to update the Wikipedia article for this information, but couldn't find a good source to do so. I'm guessing that it hasn't been commented on because it hasn't come up in-game yet.
And, of course, it hasn't come up in a game yet because players are informed in the briefings on the green room that there won't be returning co-champions any longer--that any time there's a tie for first place, there will be tie-breaker to determine who'll win the cash and come back in the next game. Kind of a Catch-22.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:A Facebook friend of mine posted an opinion yesterday that people that don't offer ties in Jeopardy by wagering the extra dollar are being "bad sports". Leaving aside the falsity of this statement in the former tie situation, I informed the individual that ties were no longer permitted on Jeopardy, explaining the history behind this decision. Much to my surprise though, when I looked on Google for an official link to cite for this I could not find one, just comments by "unofficial" websites (like this one) that the change was likely to occur. Even Wikipedia and game show pages that explain Jeopardy still state that ties are allowed on Jeopardy and that co-champions return when they occur. Have I missed something? Did the change not occur? I believe I remember reading that contestants here that filmed in the past year were informed of the new rule prohibiting ties, but it is odd that a significant number of websites have not been updated to reflect this. :?

I was in a similar situation since I wanted to update the Wikipedia article for this information, but couldn't find a good source to do so. I'm guessing that it hasn't been commented on because it hasn't come up in-game yet.
and it no longer comes up in game because of the no tie rules.

As far as the "bad sport" part of it, well that's just whining because everybody deserves a trophy (they don't). When you play a game, the point is to play to win. In the days of 5 time champions, I did think it would be a nice gesture if the outgoing champ would play to tie if given the situation as the champ would not be coming back anyway (did this ever happen?). Even though I felt that way, I don't know if I would've done it myself as it might not feel like I really "won" five games.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3046
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

triviawayne wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

and it no longer comes up in game because of the no tie rules.

As far as the "bad sport" part of it, well that's just whining because everybody deserves a trophy (they don't). When you play a game, the point is to play to win. In the days of 5 time champions, I did think it would be a nice gesture if the outgoing champ would play to tie if given the situation as the champ would not be coming back anyway (did this ever happen?). Even though I felt that way, I don't know if I would've done it myself as it might not feel like I really "won" five games.
It *will* come up as there are "unavoidable tie" situations, such as being tied going into Final. And there have been a few "accidental" ties since the rule if a player's Final Jeopardy! answer was different.

Rest assured, one day it will come up and it will be revealed to the world.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I wonder if those same people would complain that their favourite sports team walloped the opponent instead of playing for a tie? Or do they only want a tie if it were otherwise a relatively close game?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Sprinkles are for winners.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Does anyone see this thread title and think, "Well, we have gotten much more casual in our dress..." and then have a moment of realization that it references the game, not the neckwear?

I mean, not that I did that. I'm just saying I could see where someone might.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

patkav wrote:Does anyone see this thread title and think, "Well, we have gotten much more casual in our dress..." and then have a moment of realization that it references the game, not the neckwear?

(raises hand sheepishly)
Sprinkles are for winners.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

patkav wrote:Does anyone see this thread title and think, "Well, we have gotten much more casual in our dress..." and then have a moment of realization that it references the game, not the neckwear?

I think this isn't the only thread with a somewhat misleading title.

There's also that one that always makes me think that some wild pig met his demise on the show.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

That seems to happen every season, doesn't it, Brian?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

patkav wrote:That seems to happen every season, doesn't it, Brian?
You noticed that too, eh?

Brian

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Actually, my first thought was about Jeff Kirby. :twisted:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

georgespelvin wrote:

The plural form of the noun should lead you away from Jeff Kirby.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:

Well done, sir.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:

One guess what I'm going to be talking about on Sunday on my "This Week In Jeopardy! History" segment on #JeopardyLivePanel...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:

(raises hand sheepishly)
<My hand going up as well>
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Thanks for the solidarity, gentlemen!
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

We now have official word of the rule change, as shown here.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

GoodStrategy wrote:We now have official word of the rule change, as shown here.
I would conclude that either a tie is imminent, or the powers that be want to explain why viewers will be tuning in to Alex doing a soft shoe.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

9021amyers wrote:
GoodStrategy wrote:We now have official word of the rule change, as shown here.
I would conclude that either a tie is imminent, or the powers that be want to explain why viewers will be tuning in to Alex doing a soft shoe.
You may be right, but the conclusion doesn't seem necessary. The page addresses two scenarios that have recently occurred: a) all three contestants finishing with no money, and b) a tie for a wildcard spot. That's sufficient reason to address those questions and throw in two similar scenarios so the information is all in the same place.

I just wish they had specified when the no-tie rule was officially instated. I believe our first official confirmation of the change came on 19 Nov 2014 from boson whose wife was taping an episode with a January airdate.

When was the most recent time we had co-champions?