LLML: '80s Music (fall 2015)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LLML: '80s Music (fall 2015)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote:I totally knew Tiffany and Billy Idol, but forgot to RTFQ and said the song names instead. Oh, well.
Same here. You'd think the bolded text would have helped, but apparently not...
LHamilton
Contributor

Post by LHamilton »

Lampy wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Slow clap on that first question. Well played, HorwitzJ and PaceK.
I legitimately wondered if the clip might be a red herring for several seconds.
Me too. I clicked on it once, then shut it off after a half second. Then spent wondered if it was all a joke and forced myself to go back and watch the whole thing, in case I missed something
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Just like I feared, the Thompson Twins are in my brain now and won't leave.

Sigh.

Oh well - a healthy 7(5) on day one of this ML, and I've already surpassed my total match point and correct answers in the college football ML.
Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Ryno »

patkav wrote:
Ryno wrote:Well, I'm not in LL yet, but this is one I definitely wish I could be in. Following along, reading the questions on the website. I went 5 for 6. That first one got me. Yep, Rick Rolled. I totally thought of A-Ha's "Take on Me". Now, that I think about it that was from 86 not 87.
Me too!

Edit to add: Because I didn't RTFQ on #1, I never saw the "click here" and didn't realize there was a video. D'oh!
Ah, same here. Good to learn such lessons before playing for real.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

If it wasn't for the click to reveal, I would have wracked my brain for what European bands were on the Cocktail soundtrack, to try to think of a bartender. (Take On Me starts in a diner, not a bar, come on! :D) But yeah, it's Beach Boys, Georgia Satellites, Fabulous Thunderbirds ...

I'm sad to say I couldn't come up with Bust A Move, myself. I know a lot of misc stuff about that song and Young MC, but sadly, the lyric reference didn't click.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I loved the Tommy James covers question (but hated the giveaway Weird Al clue). One of my favorite trivial factoids is which three artists had Billboard Top 10 hits during the '80s with Tommy James and the Shondells covers. The third was
Spoiler
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - "Crimson and Clover"
Sprinkles are for winners.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Bamaman wrote:As expected, I lost 6(5)-0(1).

On the bright side, perfect defense!!!!
Perfect defense for me, too! I lost 3(3)-9(6)!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Lampy wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Slow clap on that first question. Well played, HorwitzJ and PaceK.
I legitimately wondered if the clip might be a red herring for several seconds.
I didn't notice the link for the clip at first, but was 99% sure I had the right song. Once I found the link, I knew it was right.

OTOH, I misread question 2 and answered with the song names.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Playing the dreaded R Craig today! My brush with greatness.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

.38 Special and Santana got me to "Hold On", it took me until Thompson Twins to get rid of the "on". I didn't recognize any of the other song(s?).

I was seriously sweating the first question: Could it really be THIS easy? --> I can never tell the difference between Never Gonna Give You Up and Together Forever --> NGGYU is too damn obvious, I'm going to go with Together Forever --> I really think it's Together Forever, but I'd never forgive myself if it was NGGYU and I didn't guess it. I have to guess that --> phew!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

With 6 you get Rick-rolled; my first ever in LL. And of course, I tied. :evil:

My first LL beer, earned due to the songs that I probably listened to when I had my first real beer. Ah, the irony. Like rain on your wedding day. (Oh, wait, that's 90's).

The only one that I was not 100% sure on was Alice Cooper; didn't remember seeing the picture before, but assumed from the eye makeup.
Sheepin' it real.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

mennoknight wrote:Playing the dreaded R Craig today! My brush with greatness.
Pray there are no questions about Prince.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUNcQO4v8A
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:With 6 you get Rick-rolled; my first ever in LL. And of course, I tied. :evil:

My first LL beer, earned due to the songs that I probably listened to when I had my first real beer. Ah, the irony. Like rain on your wedding day. (Oh, wait, that's 90's).

The only one that I was not 100% sure on was Alice Cooper; didn't remember seeing the picture before, but assumed from the eye makeup.
Cooper was my lone miss. I saw the eye makeup and immediately thought, "of course! Ozzy!" 'Twas quite the headslap upon reveal. And I have no excuse. I love Wayne's World. I've attended the Fairway to Heaven benefit concert in Las Vegas. Cooperstown in Phoenix is one of my favorite rib restaurants anywhere. I could tell you off the top of my head that his real name is Vincent Furnier. All for naught.

Luckily, I correctly predicted that my opponent would miss "She Works Hard For The Money" and ended up with a 7(5)-6(5) victory.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Thank goodness for Q1. (And for the video with it. Never would have gotten it without that gimme.) I will probably never again be so glad to have been Rickrolled. :P

3(3)-1(2) victory yesterday...also got Alice Cooper and "She Works Hard For The Money" with little problem. (The others, I was lost. Just to have something on Q4, I put "Funky Cold Medina.") Yay for perfect defense! And for knowing a few answers. Will either of these last? Probably not. But for someone born at the start of the 90s...this is a nice start.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Got a definite "Lucky Johnson" on the last clue in MD2, had no idea of the name, but figured if they shared a name, it's probably common, so I guessed "Jones" and hoped that it didn't require both names (although if I was Thorsten I would have mandated it), wound up getting points for that one, to my surprise! (Didn't win the match though, while my opponent didn't get that question, he got the rest of them, I missed 2 others.)

I must have overlooked today's name when I said I didn't recognize any (except for my own), looks like I play Mark Japinga today.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:WORD UP!
I had never seen the video for that song so the codpiece meant nothing to me (I guessed El deBarge).
Then I watched that SNL video (which is what I think of when I hear that song) and of course he's wearing that stupid codpiece - I just never noticed it.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Sure, he might have won lots of games on Jeopardy! but Roger Craig didn't go see Alphaville in concert 3 times like I did and know they were from Germany. 6(9) - 5(9) win!
That Cameo song is one of my 10 favourite songs of all time, so that was a snap. Big Audio Dynamite - also awesome, so the Mick Jones question came pretty quickly to me. Is there a way I can make a living playing 80's music trivia?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

mennoknight wrote:Sure, he might have won lots of games on Jeopardy! but Roger Craig didn't go see Alphaville in concert 3 times like I did and know they were from Germany. 6(9) - 5(9) win!
That Cameo song is one of my 10 favourite songs of all time, so that was a snap. Big Audio Dynamite - also awesome, so the Mick Jones question came pretty quickly to me. Is there a way I can make a living playing 80's music trivia?
That's 9(6) - 6(5), right?
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

I knew Alphaville was from Europe, but I thought it was Scandinavia for some reason. But there was no mistaking Scorpions (incidentally, when that song first came out, I thought it was "Raunchy Like a Hurricane").

Almost talked myself out of Cameo --> "That looks like Word Up. But, I remember ______ kid from high school making fun of that song, and I was either in college or still in HS but not hanging around with _____. So it's gotta be something else. Dammit, I can't think of anything else. So I'll put Cameo even though I know it's wrong."

And then I got credit for Mick on Q6. I knew Mick Jones from the Clash, but I thought the guy from Foreigner was Mick Ronson. I'll take the points, though.