Monday, October 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, October 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

He's Jewish?!?
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

[edited to remove Stanislaus Jacob's now-deleted original comments and my response to them]

And why are people still discussing this from the perspective that this is an appropriate and necessary conversation to have? Why does it matter whether Matt is on the spectrum or not? Why is this anyone's business? How would this change our views of him beyond his being one of the greatest Jeopardy! champions of all time, who's found a play strategy that clearly works for him? If he showed up here and stated that he was NOT on the spectrum, would that make everyone feel as foolish as they should feel for assuming that Matt's appearance on Jeopardy! gives us the right to demand full details about his private life and complete neurological history?

This is like when people started making cracks about me, and whether I needed to "take my lithium," which resulted in my stating that I had ADHD just to clear the air and explain some details about the way I function. Even that wasn't enough to stop the speculation about exactly how much I was able to "control" it and whether I could or should have attempted to alter my essential and true personality at the most intense moment of my life out of respect for a game show that had observed those same behaviors in my audition and found them acceptable, perhaps even desirable. Hell, it carried over to the J! Facebook page without my consent, so I accept that anyone who Googles me will eventually come across that very personal aspect of who I am and how I operate, left for all eternity on the internet.

C'est la vie. At least I was the one who voluntarily put it out there. Matt has kept mostly off social media, engaging with viewers only through a bare-bones Facebook fan page. I am appalled that someone can master a game we all respect and yet receive no respect or dignity of his own in return.
Last edited by TheSunWillComeOut on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:And why are people still discussing this from the perspective that this is an appropriate and necessary conversation to have?
Seriously. Please stop.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

bpmod wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:... but when he makes such poorly judged (even if well meant) comments like, "Let's go for the sweep," a viewer has at least some reason to theorize.
What? Are you serious? Poorly judged? I cannot believe anybody would think that poorly judged.

Maybe I'll start a poll.

Brian

I guess the question is whether he is intentionally making comments that are likely to be demoralizing to his opponents as an intimidation tactic? Or was he unaware of the effect a comment of that nature is likely to have on his opponents and the viewing audience.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

brick wrote:
bpmod wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:... but when he makes such poorly judged (even if well meant) comments like, "Let's go for the sweep," a viewer has at least some reason to theorize.
What? Are you serious? Poorly judged? I cannot believe anybody would think that poorly judged.

Maybe I'll start a poll.

Brian

I guess the question is whether he is intentionally making comments that are likely to be demoralizing to his opponents as an intimidation tactic? Or was he unaware of the effect a comment of that nature is likely to have on his opponents and the viewing audience.
Want my opinion? I think that Matt's quirky behavior, as is the case with most quirky behavior you'll ever see on the show from any contestant, is done largely to amuse himself and any loved ones watching the show. After all, the contestant coordinators tell you to "have fun." I suspect that the slow smile, the finger-counting, and the rest of it, are Matt's own idea of fun. I also suspect, based on his gracious comments toward his opponents on his Facebook page, that he would be surprised to hear that anyone had taken his offhand quips and gestures as a personal affront.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Vermonter wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:And why are people still discussing this from the perspective that this is an appropriate and necessary conversation to have?
Seriously. Please stop.
Echoing the sentiment.

Also, I would pretty much guarantee Matt has NO IDEA how some of his actions appear to people who are not in a pressure-filled situation that moves very fast.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This viewer appreciated the "Let's go for the sweep" comment, because I often have a hard time noticing when someone runs a category if the players are jumping all over the board.

Now I kind of want to see a contestant who goes full pro-wrestling in his/her play style, cutting promos in the interview segments. "Whatcha gonna do when Mattamania runs wild on you?" Or something about the "Mattcho Man" Randy Savage. I don't know where I was going with this.
brick

Post by brick »

I just looked at his Facebook. Using a photo of Eleanor Roosevelt with Shirley Temple is pretty funny. And he 'likes' The Final Wager.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:If Matt had planned at any point to show up and post here, I think we've done a fine job of making him feel unwelcome and judged for invasive personal reasons beyond his game play.
Just wait until he wears a sweater with hearts on it.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:Pretty much everything Jennifer has said goes double for me.
TAKING THE JENNIFER DIAL AND TURNING IT UP PAST SINGLE STRENGTH IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!
But... this one goes to eleven-morrow!
@caknuck
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:He's Jewish?!?
The black, curly hair didn't give it away, Andy? :P
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I actually was trying to say that this speculation was ridiculous from the beginning and most of the so-called evidence made no sense, but I obviously did not articulate it properly, so I have deleted the post. I certainly do not believe that this is "this is an appropriate and necessary conversation to have." It is highly inappropriate and stupid.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:I actually was trying to say that this speculation was ridiculous from the beginning and most of the so-called evidence made no sense, but I obviously did not articulate it properly, so I have deleted the post. I certainly do not believe that this is "this is an appropriate and necessary conversation to have." It is highly inappropriate and stupid.
In a situation like this, even the well-meant comments further discussion of an issue that should be dropped, so thank you for doing that. I have edited my own post accordingly.
caknuck wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:Pretty much everything Jennifer has said goes double for me.
TAKING THE JENNIFER DIAL AND TURNING IT UP PAST SINGLE STRENGTH IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!
But... this one goes to eleven-morrow!
I am unclear about what turning up the Jennifer Dial would accomplish in my own case, and slightly scared now. I am picturing the scene in Being John Malkovich where Malkovich enters the portal into his own brain.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

goatman wrote: but I really feel fairly certain that Matt suffers from an emotive disability.
Who the hell doesn't suffer from some kind of emotive disability in this modern world? I have no doubt had I grown up in the 90s instead of the 50s, I would have been diagnosed with ADHD, or Aspbergers' or some other damn faux "condition." Thank goodness I had to learn to deal with bullies on my own, and wasn't forced to take any mind-bending drugs before my brain was fully formed (after it was I took several mind-bending drugs, but that was my choice :) ).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Nuff.
I noticed after this game ABC is pushing spots featuring Matt as "the returning champion-- can he win more than 7 games?!"
Last edited by goatman on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

brick wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Maybe I'll start a poll.

Brian

Really, what effect can a comment like that have on an opponent? As far as we've heard so far, from real people who have met Matt in person, Matt is a very nice person and very gracious to his opponents.

I feel no need to disbelieve any of that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
brick

Post by brick »

bpmod wrote:
brick wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Maybe I'll start a poll.

Brian

Really, what effect can a comment like that have on an opponent? As far as we've heard so far, from real people who have met Matt in person, Matt is a very nice person and very gracious to his opponents.

I feel no need to disbelieve any of that.

Brian
I don't think anything I said is an accusation or in any way assails the belief that he is a nice person. When taping a Monday game there is a whole group of opponents watching. A couple of small shows of dominance, a casual quip that reveals your very high degree of confidence that you will ring in before both your opponents and give the right answer to the last clue in the column... that's just strategy. Or it could be, anyway.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:
alietr wrote:He's Jewish?!?
The black, curly hair didn't give it away, Andy? :P
Tomorrow's show
Spoiler
Clears this one right up.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

I will stop, but only after this one additional post. I made my comment in response to the responses to goatman's original post offering some speculation as to a possible factor in Matt's behavior. Some responders objected to his even daring to suggest such a thing based on limited evidence. My point was mainly to say that those who are familiar with the phenomenon, which I very much am, might possibly see signs of it in Matt. There was no denigration in my post; in fact, I gave high praise to his character. Most responders chose to read the parts that fed their fury and not the rest of the comments, nor the overall import. Other posters who have expressed dislike for Matt's actions and words have basically said they think he's a jerk. Somehow that's more acceptable.

Respond as you wish, folks, but do make sure you respond to what is actually said.

Now I'm stopping.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Tencent wrote:A bit of deduction suggests the Matt Jackson wins this week out or at least looses on Friday. If you
count the number of people in the hometown howdies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScOhSndUQA
not named Matt Jackson you get the number 10. Considering they have 15 spots to fill, Mr. Jackson is
taking the other spots. Q.E.D.
That doesn't mean anything. There are eleven unique individual appearing each week regardless.

Even if there's a new winner every day:

Day 1: you have A, B, and C. A wins.
Day 2: you have A returning, D and E are new. D wins.
Day 3: you have D returning, F and G are new. F wins.
Day 4: you have F returning, H and I are new. H wins.
Day 5: you have H returning, J and K are new. One of them will, of course, win.

That's still eleven unique participants, even with a new champion daily.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

willwoodlen wrote:I will stop, but only after this one additional post. I made my comment in response to the responses to goatman's original post offering some speculation as to a possible factor in Matt's behavior. Some responders objected to his even daring to suggest such a thing based on limited evidence. My point was mainly to say that those who are familiar with the phenomenon, which I very much am, might possibly see signs of it in Matt. There was no denigration in my post; in fact, I gave high praise to his character. Most responders chose to read the parts that fed their fury and not the rest of the comments, nor the overall import. Other posters who have expressed dislike for Matt's actions and words have basically said they think he's a jerk. Somehow that's more acceptable.

Respond as you wish, folks, but do make sure you respond to what is actually said.

Now I'm stopping.
To "see signs of it in Matt" based on watching him on a TV show is irresponsible and insulting and based on no useful evidence.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide