Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick »

Category 13 wrote:What was the clue/answer on Matt's DD that Alex said "we'll except that"?
I thought it was a four letter word category, and it sounded like Matt's response was a three syllable word (Nen-e-a ?). Not saying the judges made a mistake but I was just a little confused afterwards. Maybe it's a Spanish pronounciation thing?
Yeah, he arguably added a syllable in the middle there, but it very much sounded like an imperfect attempt at getting the Spanish pronunciation. I think it was an appropriate call.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Category 13 wrote:What was the clue/answer on Matt's DD that Alex said "we'll except that"?
I thought it was a four letter word category, and it sounded like Matt's response was a three syllable word (Nen-e-a ?). Not saying the judges made a mistake but I was just a little confused afterwards. Maybe it's a Spanish pronounciation thing?
Pretty sure he said "Nina" when they were looking for "Niña". (I'm pretty sure I learned it as just Nina, and that's what I would have said as well.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I wouldn't have taken that pronunciation, FWIW; it sounded like it changed the spelling.

FJ: got Cyrillic immediately, spent too much time trying to figure out if there was another name for the Greek alphabet. I am SO BAD at being Greek, guys. (Except when it comes to Easter cookies.)
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

jeff6286 wrote:
floridagator wrote:Matt's domination on the buzzer is obviously key to his winning. Many of these questions are so easy, relative to what the contestants have to go through on the online and written test, that I have to believe that all three of them know the correct answer by the time AT is finished reading. Therefore, Matt's knowledge on these questions is equal to the others. So his advantage on the buzzer is allowing him to take all these elementary questions that leave him in control of the board and able to hunt daily doubles.

We've seen this pattern many times before.
You just really go out of your way to be an ass at every opportunity, don't you? Yes, Matt's knowledge base is equal to every other player he has faced, that's why he has won 10 games and nearly $300K, because he can buzz faster, clearly the only reason. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You didn't read my statement very carefully en route to your ad hominem attack. I said that his knowledge on those questions (the elementary ones, like photosynthesis) is the same as any J! contestant. Every J! contestant knows 3rd grade science and 4th grade spelling, so the advantage to the one who gets them is the buzzer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
macsr

Post by macsr »

bpmod wrote:How many contestants have used their telephone area code as their wager? Was this the first?

Sameer, is that really the reason for your wager?

Welcome to JBoard, BTW.

Brian

Yea I knew my wager didn't matter, so I took the opportunity to give a subtle shoutout to Toronto with it. "The 6" is a semi-big thing for the city now.

In terms of my Final Jeopardy! response, the inclusion of Bulgaria in the clue sort of threw me off since I didn't know they used cyrllic there. I didn't think they used Greek, so I searched for another alphabet I could think of related to Bulgaria and came up with Turkic cause of the history of previous Ottoman rule.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

It sounded to me like he said "Niña", so I couldn't figure out what else they would have wanted. "Neena"?
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Budphrey wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Oh, but watchin' too hard can give you
A MattAttack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack
You oughta know by now (you oughta know by nooooow)
Well, if anyone in that room is trading in his Chevy for a Cadillac...
At least he can polish the fenders.

If his name was Anthony instead of Matt, this would totally work.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

triviawayne wrote:
Budphrey wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Oh, but watchin' too hard can give you
A MattAttack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack
You oughta know by now (you oughta know by nooooow)
Well, if anyone in that room is trading in his Chevy for a Cadillac...
At least he can polish the fenders.

If his name was Anthony instead of Matt, this would totally work.
Mama, if Matt's movin' up, then I'm movin' out
Learned League: KimEd
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

grindcore wrote: Mr. Peabody and Sherman looks about as funny as a car accident.
No worse than when they were originally on the air.
Robsidian89 wrote: There was something funny about Matt's serious expression after the Mr. Peabody & Sherman clues, almost like he was thinking "I don't have time for you, cartoon dog." The show might be clever (I liked Rocky & Bullwinkle), but the character designs just seem like change for the sake of change
I disagree...Matt rarely does the low value clues until the high levels are done, but he finished that category; I think he liked them...or at least wanted to reveal all of them.

Anyone following Disney news lately got to use the second TOM for one of the islands...
https://variety.com/2015/film/news/disn ... 201612514/
Dwayne Johnson is already on board to voice the demi-God Maui in a tale that follows a spirited and fearless teenager who, with help from Maui, sets out on a daring mission to prove herself a master wayfinder.
FJ was instant...though I was worried for the remaining 20 seconds I was overlooking something.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
brick wrote:
brick wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: All of the Hawaiian islands sound too much like each other, so they always get tangled up in my mind. I kept going "oh yeah, I knew that" when each one came up for all except Lanai, which honestly sounds completely unfamiliar to me. Looking them up, I also don't recognize Niihau or Kaho'olawe.
It's unusual for any but the same five islands to come up. If you can manage to lock those down you're good to go.
Also, there was a TOM in the Lanai clue, if you know that a patio is called a lanai in Hawai'ian.
Or you've watched Golden Girls.
+1

Was Alex adjusting his tie and missed Erik's hand zero? He should have commented on that funny bit in his opening. I wonder if the powers will continue to allow hand gestures on intros or after Matt is done then squash it in case it gets more intimidating or sillier?

Wendi M-C's '80s fad return wish is phone with cords? I hear her on the cell phone angle, but at home even though I have a landline it has been very nice ever since switching to cordless.

Winter's Bone
Gone Girl
Grand Budapest Hotel
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Bridesmaids

I've seen all five and that is a mix of movies I would think would have a lot of varying opinions on the better ones and the lesser ones. That's my order best to not as good above.

The weekly poll will some of those got one and not the other type options. Cyrillic was an instaget and Greek never occurred to me. To complete my response I wrote Gaelic.

I have Matt's Coryat as 33200 and the combined at 49400. A little less leaping around with completed boards and the guys could have done 50k+
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

brick wrote:
Yeah, he arguably added a syllable in the middle there, but it very much sounded like an imperfect attempt at getting the Spanish pronunciation. I think it was an appropriate call.
Brick's got it right. "We'll accept that" was unbelievably pedantic in this case.
Last edited by Lampy on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

MarkBarrett wrote: Was Alex adjusting his tie and missed Erik's hand zero? He should have commented on that funny bit in his opening. I wonder if the powers will continue to allow hand gestures on intros or after Matt is done then squash it in case it gets more intimidating or sillier?
The Powers That Be are surprisingly tolerant of what you do in your intro. Their main concern is that you don't do anything that would necessitate the taping to be halted (e.g., falling off the podium, presumably obscene gestures as well although they didn't specifically mention that when I asked them).
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

The ship is spelled Niña, which is pronounced neen-ya. English speakers (well Americans at least) tend to drop all diacritical marks used in other languages so it's often printed as just Nina, but that's not accurate. It sounded to me like Matt pronounced it just fine, and I was surprised when Alex said "we'll accept that". To me it seemed Matt used the correct pronunciation and the nee-na pronunciation would have also been acceptable. I guess if you're expecting to hear nee-na then neen-ya might seem like three syllables but I don't think it actually was.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MarkBarrett wrote: The weekly poll will some of those got one and not the other type options. Cyrillic was an instaget and Greek never occurred to me. To complete my response I wrote Gaelic.
Irish is indeed an official language of the EU, but Gaelic - whether Scots or Irish - uses the Latin alphabet, though with a couple of letters omitted.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

debramc wrote:The ship is spelled Niña, which is pronounced neen-ya. English speakers (well Americans at least) tend to drop all diacritical marks used in other languages so it's often printed as just Nina, but that's not accurate. It sounded to me like Matt pronounced it just fine, and I was surprised when Alex said "we'll accept that". To me it seemed Matt used the correct pronunciation and the nee-na pronunciation would have also been acceptable. I guess if you're expecting to hear nee-na then neen-ya might seem like three syllables but I don't think it actually was.
I agree 100%. I also pronounced the tilde.

I had 40 correct with a Coryat of $38,000, which is high for me. It was just a board of things I knew.

And I originally wrote slavic and Greek, then did a mental head-slap and changed it to cyrillic.
brick

Post by brick »

debramc wrote:The ship is spelled Niña, which is pronounced neen-ya. English speakers (well Americans at least) tend to drop all diacritical marks used in other languages so it's often printed as just Nina, but that's not accurate. It sounded to me like Matt pronounced it just fine, and I was surprised when Alex said "we'll accept that". To me it seemed Matt used the correct pronunciation and the nee-na pronunciation would have also been acceptable. I guess if you're expecting to hear nee-na then neen-ya might seem like three syllables but I don't think it actually was.
What I think I heard was "nee en yah" or possibly "nee uhn yah". It was almost a half syllable extra more than a full one.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Lampy wrote:
brick wrote:
Brick's got it right. "We'll accept that" was unbelievably pedantic in this case.
Seconded.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I definitely heard Niña.

I absolutely loved Erik's "zero". It didn't come across as mocking to me--I interpreted it as good-natured and self-effacing.

For some reason I also got to Cyrillic quickly and Greek with a head slap at the last minute.

Matt is a very impressive player. I choose not to comment further.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Hawaii (3), 21st Movies (2), Stupid (4), Pizza (3), Life (4), "Any" (3)
3 P's (2), Mom (5), Energy (1), 4-Letter (4), Wrote (4), Peabody (4)

Lach Trash: "Patricia Heaton", "Debbie Reynolds"

I thought of Cyrillic, but Greek didn't come to me; I should have thought of it as it borders Bulgaria.

Winning a minimum 10 games on their regular run- doesn't take many fingers to count those who have reached that milestone:

Ken Jennings, David Madden, Arthur Chu, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson (A few others lost their 10th game). Don't think I'm missing anybody- correct me if I am. It may be a relatively young rule in Jeopardy (post Brad Rutter, for example) history, but still impressive.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Well...he showed up, big time. Having to get past yesterday's game was almost a heart-throbber for Matt Jackson.

Likewise, his rhythm seems to be on point. All the odd numbered wins have got him between $20,000 - $30,000, and one below $20,000. Likewise, with the even numbered wins, he's been trying to get the $40,000 win, and it worked. Two out of five attempts done this time.

With Final, I only knew that Greek would be a solution because of how their lettering is. But damn...I don't study on European languages as much. I just said 'Ah, screw it...maybe perhaps Slavic?' . But...I knew that it could probably be wrong...and I was right. Literally...

I'm willing to see if he'll go all the way with two weeks straight on his wins.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.