Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7145, 2015-10-09

Matt Jackson game 11.

CONTESTANTS
Elicia Woerle, an interior architectural design student from Los Angeles, California
Emily Rollman, an attorney from Shawneetown, Illinois
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 10-day cash winnings total $289,411)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hi, folks. For those of you who are into statistics, let me begin today's program by telling you that there are only four other players in the 31 years of Jeopardy! who have won more games than our current champion, Matt Jackson. We're not talking about cash winnings, now, nor tournament games, but regular games. If Matt wins today, he will be tied with the celebrated Arthur Chu. Okay, Emily and Elicia, good to have you here. Let's go to work. And now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME (2/5)
17th CENTURY AMERICA (5/5)
A LITTLE ALLITERATION (2/3)
BUILDING TERMS (4/5)
THOSE WERE THE DAYS (3/4)
VWLLSS WRLD CPTLS (3/4) (Alex: VOWELLESS WORLD CAPITALS.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 10 R, 1 W
Elicia: 7 R, 1 W
Emily: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Elicia: $2,200
Matt: $1,600
Emily: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Most of the time when I talk to the contestants at this point in the program, I rely on some information that they have provided us with, and Elicia woerle, you gave me a very provocative bit of information here. It says you were switched at birth?

Elicia: That's right, I was switched at birth. Back when I was born, fathers didn't go into the delivery room, so my dad was outside the nursery, and they brought this baby to show him, and it was this small, dark-skinned, dark-haired, Hispanic baby. And my dad looked and said, "I don't think that that's my baby." And they started looking into it, and there was a man down the way that they had brought this big pink, large-eared baby to, and he was happily snapping pictures away. And luckily, they got everything straightened out, and a couple weeks later in the mail my parents got all of the photos that that gentleman had taken of me. Unfortunately, he didn't get any of his baby in the nursery.

Alex: The same thing happened with my son, with regard to the photos.

Elicia: Oh, wow.

Alex: We got--we got photos of a different baby. And then when I looked at my son, I said, "I want the other baby."

[Laughter]

Alex: Emily Rollman, an attorney from Illinois. You found a way to insult, uh, an Oscar-winning actor.

Emily: Well, he asked for it, Alex.

Alex: What did he do? Who was it?

Emily: It was Ben Affleck. I was an extra on the set of Gone Girl, and we had to do several takes where he had to run in front of me and I had to give chase. And after one take, he, uh, asked me, "How was that one?" And I just said honestly, "Well, that was okay."

Alex: Okay. So much for the relationship with an Oscar-winning star.

Alex: Matt Jackson is our champion, and it says here that you wore a mobster suit wrapped in cellophane for Halloween?

Matt: Yes, so, when, um--I started getting into this competition with my college roommates to see who could come up with the cleverest Halloween costume, um, and so every year I'd pick a different pun to try and wear. So '20s mobster outfit covered in cellophane. Do you have any guesses?

Alex: No.

Matt: Okay. I was a gangster (w)rapper.

[Laughter]

Matt: I didn't say it was funny.

Alex: No, I got news for you. That's good. That's darn good. That's a lot more creative than I could come up with.

Matt: Thank you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BUILDING TERMS $1000: A horizontal beam that supports weight above a door, it sometimes follows "post &"
(Matt: What is a jamb?)

THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME $400: Mississippi Valley State produced this inductee who would dance away with an NFL record 208 touchdowns
(Alex: San Francisco star [*].)

THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME $600: (Jiimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, GA.) The runner-up for the Heisman in 1937 for his play at Colorado perhaps will see his judicial robes honored someday in the Supreme Court hall of fame

THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME $800: 2015 members of the Hall include Jim Tressel, longtime coach of this team that won it all with a new guy this year

VWLLSS WRLD CPTLS $800: It's a bilingual city:
TTW
(Alex: It's the home of my alma mater, the capital of Canada, [*].)

A LITTLE ALLITERATION $1000: A May 2010 stock market collapse was initially blamed on this alliterative kind of typo

THOSE WERE THE DAYS $800: Old Frenchies speaking Old French knew it as juesdi
(Elicia: What is Tuesday?)
(Alex: The current French word for [*] is jeudi.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $6,200
Elicia: $2,400
Emily: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WAR NOVELS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AROUND THE VATICAN (5/5)
SCIENTISTS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHOW BIZ JOBS (4/5)
"HOUSE" (4/5)
OF REPRESENTATIVES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 18 R (including 3 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Elicia: 6 R, 3 W
Emily: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Matt had $7,400, Emily had $1,200, and Elicia was at $3,600. Matt wagered $5,000.

WAR NOVELS $1600: Paul Baumer is an idealistic enlistee until he sees the horrors of war firsthand in this 1929 novel

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 4th clue. Matt had $12,400, Emily had $1,200, and Elicia was at $3,600. Matt wagered $5,000.

SCIENTISTS $1600: In 1877 Asaph Hall discovered its 2 moons, for which he won the Lalande Prize

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WAR NOVELS $2000: This novel by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim tells the harrowing tale of a captain & his crew aboard a WWII German sub
(Emily: What is U-571?)
(Alex: No.)
(Emily: Shoot. [Sighs])

SHOW BIZ JOBS $2000: On a film set this "grip" operates most moving camera platforms
(Elicia: What is the key grip?)

"HOUSE" $2000: This European songbird takes its name from its habit of building nests in the eaves of homes
(Emily: What is a house wren?)
(Emily: [Sighs] Oh, boy.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $35,000 (lock game)
Elicia: $3,600
Emily: -$1,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Elicia] And with that, you wind up in second place with $3,600. And Emily, we have to say goodbye to you.

Emily: I know.

Alex: You have no money. You can't be around in Final Jeopardy! I hope you enjoyed yourself, however. Matt, with $35,000, really enjoyed himself. Here comes Final Jeopardy!...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VIDEO GAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $27,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Elicia: You've no hope of catching up... unless Matt does something stupid. So risk as much as $3,599; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
As part of its 30th anniversary celebration in 2014, this video game used the slogan "We all fit together"

FINAL SCORES
Elicia: $3,600 + $0 = $3,600 (What is Tetris?) (2nd place)
Matt: $35,000 + $15,000 = $50,000 (What is Tetris) (289412-day champion: $50,000)
(Alex: He went big, and now has $339,411 and is tied in fourth place in number of games won.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $28,200, 28 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Elicia: $3,600, 13 R, 4 W
Emily: -$1,200, 4 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 29/60 = .483
Elicia: 14/58 = .241
Emily: 4/58 = .069
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BUILDING TERMS $400: As seen here, it's a small tower that rises up from a castle wall

THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME $200: (Jiimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, GA.) Before his days as a Dallas Cowboy, this Fox NFL commentator made some waves as a Bruin hurler for UCLA

A LITTLE ALLITERATION $600: Gregory Keller, a Catholic priest, invented a machine to automate the process for making these Christmas sweets
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go now.)

THOSE WERE THE DAYS $400: In Old Norse it was Odinsdagr
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

OF REPRESENTATIVES $1600: The only Speaker of the House to become president was this Tennessee representative & 11th president
(Elicia: Who is Andrew Jackson?)

SHOW BIZ JOBS $400: For "All About Eve", Darryl F. Zanuck; for "Rubber Soul", George Martin
(Emily: What is the director?)
(Emily: [Sighs] Oh, geez.)

SCIENTISTS $800: (I'm Neil deGrasse Tyson.) One of my heroes is unquestionably this 17th century man who at various times in his life was a member of Parliament, Warden of the Royal Mint & Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

WAR NOVELS $800: "The Short-Timers" by Gustav Hasford follows a member of this military branch, from basic training to war in Vietnam
(Elicia: Who are the Green Berets?)

OF REPRESENTATIVES $400: There are 6 non-voting representatives in the house, including one from this self-governing commonwealth
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
lintel
Jerry Rice
Byron "Whizzer" White
the Ohio State Buckeyes
Ottawa
fat finger
Thursday
All Quiet on the Western Front
Mars
Das Boot
the dolly grip
the house martin
Tetris
a turret
(Troy) Aikman
candy canes
Wednesday
(James) Polk
producer
(Sir Isaac) Newton
the Marines
Puerto Rico
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Final Jeopardy

Video Games

As part of its 30th anniversary celebration in 2014, this video game used the slogan "we all fit together."
Spoiler
What is Tetris?

Emily Rollman: -$1,200

Elicia Woerle: $3,600+$0=$3,600

Matt Jackson: $35,000+$15,000=$50,000; now a 11 day champion with $339,411

(credit to TPH; I merely moved it up)
Last edited by patkav on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

Until the first commercial break, I thought MJ was done for! I mean, before today I don't remember the last time we saw the color red in front of his podium. And he wasn't even in the lead at the break!

I guess it's Friday, so he's been in the hot seat for a long taping day already. Does anybody know if this was the second taping day of the week? He certainly showed signs of fatigue for a while, I thought.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

JonathanHenke wrote:...I don't remember the last time we saw the color red in front of his podium.
In a quick scan of the j-archive graphs, I don't see any other examples of Matt dipping below zero before today.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess we can add architecture to sports in subjects Matt isn't strong in. Other than that, I see no stopping him.

If he had better luck with when he found the DDs (and had gotten to the first round one), he could have taken down Roger Craig's record. The first one was likely under alliterations for $400 and then he finds the other two fairly early in the round so he couldn't do major damage with them. But even without them, he still got $25,000 from the other clues.

I thought we might see a single player FJ. Emily clearly got frustrated and I think Elisha could have done well against a lesser champ, but she had no chance today.

I had FJ written down before the music even started.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Matt's pretty good.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I haven't seen today's game yet, so I don't know what he missed in architecture, but he should be decent in architects, at least. He got Saarinen yesterday, was it? Architecture is part of the quiz bowl canon, so he should be pretty conversant with it.
electricia
Contributor

Post by electricia »

JonathanHenke wrote:Until the first commercial break, I thought MJ was done for! I mean, before today I don't remember the last time we saw the color red in front of his podium. And he wasn't even in the lead at the break!

I guess it's Friday, so he's been in the hot seat for a long taping day already. Does anybody know if this was the second taping day of the week? He certainly showed signs of fatigue for a while, I thought.
This is Elicia from today's game. It was the second day of taping. It sure didn't feel like he was fatigued. :)
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

JonathanHenke wrote:I guess it's Friday, so he's been in the hot seat for a long taping day already. Does anybody know if this was the second taping day of the week? He certainly showed signs of fatigue for a while, I thought.
Yes, this would be his tenth game in two days.
Learned League: KimEd
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

tiwonge wrote:I haven't seen today's game yet, so I don't know what he missed in architecture, but he should be decent in architects, at least. He got Saarinen yesterday, was it? Architecture is part of the quiz bowl canon, so he should be pretty conversant with it.
The category was "building terms" and he went to it first. The other two players ran through the first four and then he missed the $1,000 clue. Of course, he may have tried to ring in on the first four but got beat.

I thought he would have known Byron White.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Waah! I so much wanted to see Emily win. She just couldn't get the hang of it.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
electricia
Contributor

Post by electricia »

Bamaman wrote:
I thought we might see a single player FJ. Emily clearly got frustrated and I think Elisha could have done well against a lesser champ, but she had no chance today.

I had FJ written down before the music even started.
Thanks Bamaman! I really wish I could have had the opportunity to play against almost any other champ, since I agree I had no chance against MJ. And had it not been for a small twist of fate, I wouldn't have played against him. Erik from yesterday's game and I were the two L.A. alternates, but one of the other contestants was also named Matt, and they didn't want to force two people with the same name to play. Since Erik was the alternate whose name got drawn to play that day, I would have been postponed to a later taping date. But since they took Matt #2 out of the contestant pool until Matt J. lost (which obviously he did not), they took both alternates that day. Ah, if only. On the other hand, at least I got beaten by Matt Jackson, so I can keep telling myself that I would have kicked anyone else's butt... :)

P.S. I'm also a Bama Girl. Roll Tide!
TreadingWater
Contributor

Post by TreadingWater »

Well...on Monday, the question everyone has been asking will be answered...how will Matt represent 11 wins with his hands in the opening???
Taken two dips in the pool but currently sitting on the edge waiting for another swim....
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

TreadingWater wrote:Well...on Monday, the question everyone has been asking will be answered...how will Matt represent 11 wins with his hands in the opening???
A) He'll hold one finger up on each hand.

B) He'll stick a dummy hand in his sleeve, giving him three hands to work with.

(Gotta admit, that'd be funny to see)
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Matt continues to roll, with eleven wins now. Congrats to him. I had 35 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Ohio State Buckeyes, Ottawa, fat finger, and producer. Instaget FJ.
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

electricia wrote:And had it not been for a small twist of fate, I wouldn't have played against him. Erik from yesterday's game and I were the two L.A. alternates, but one of the other contestants was also named Matt, and they didn't want to force two people with the same name to play. Since Erik was the alternate whose name got drawn to play that day, I would have been postponed to a later taping date. But since they took Matt #2 out of the contestant pool until Matt J. lost (which obviously he did not), they took both alternates that day. Ah, if only. On the other hand, at least I got beaten by Matt Jackson, so I can keep telling myself that I would have kicked anyone else's butt... :)
Welcome to the Board, Elicia. And welcome to the I lost to Matt Jackson Club. There are several of us here. (I played him on the show aired 9/30).

I've been thinking all week that Matt (Jackson) would play every day this week; the other Matt in your pool was a holdover from my taping day. When I didn't see him as a contestant on the Jeopardy site, I figured he got bumped.

Despite the fact that he went to LA, spent two days in the studio, and didn't get to play, he may have won by not having to go up against the Buzz Saw.
tpop1
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tpop1 »

Hi All,

I messed up tonight and just before Final Jeopardy I changed the channel while Jeopardy was paused and lost the end.

How much did Matt end up with tonight?

Thanks
brick

Post by brick »

That was a little painful to watch.

I kind of wonder if finding himself in the red didn't lead him to really come out swinging after the first break.
brick

Post by brick »

Quick everyone: change your name to Matt!