Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dlbookman »

brick wrote:In a perfect world all the Matt Jackson Survivors would go out together after and tie one on. Voodoo dolls optional.
I think we're all expecting to be invited to the dinner he mentioned during my episode, for everyone who helped him along the way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If anyone does see the other Matt on a contestant list for a week, please do not mention it on here. Do not even say the site has a spoiler, since that would be giving it away.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: If he had better luck with when he found the DDs (and had gotten to the first round one), he could have taken down Roger Craig's record.
I'm curious if Matt really liked tonight's FJ category. Givin he left an additional 12,000+ on the table, that would be a litmus test of how much he is willing to go for that record. I don't foresee him attempting to break the record unless he accrues at least 50,000 against less than 5,000 each for his opponants.
Even Ken Jennings wagered greater than 20,000 only three times during his entire 75 game run.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

Bamaman wrote:If anyone does see the other Matt on a contestant list for a week, please do not mention it on here. Do not even say the site has a spoiler, since that would be giving it away.
I ran into once of these situations on Reddit. :|
@caknuck
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

I'd guess Matt averaged a 32-35k Coryat at home, and 40-45 right every night prior to his appearances. I feel bad for the two people who faced him on the buzzer at the audition; he probably rang in faster than them nine out of ten times! There are quite a few people on this board who could beat him in the knowledge game (not me), but not on the buzzer. We haven't seen KJ play a regular game in almost eleven years, so we've forgotten how great he was.
I had $22,600 ($24,600 without negs) and 29 right, including Final. Rare to have the J! round Daily Double unrevealed.
Hoping for a third lap
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
StevenH wrote:
9021amyers wrote:I'm getting tired of these curb-stomp victories. I don't care if Matt Jackson's streak reaches Ken Jennings-like proportions, but for God's sake, I'd like to see some of these games to be competitive.
Matt is highly unlikely to win 74 games without curb stomping his opponents. Of Ken's 74 wins only like 9 or 10 weren't locks, and it was pointed out that the odds of even a player with Ken's knowledge base escaping that many times without a lock going into FJ were very small.
Right now I enjoy the streak and hope it continues for a long time, but there is a difference between a relatively narrow lock and a massacre. Of course, the memory of Ken has faded with time, and maybe he had more massacres than I remember. Does anyone know what his average margin of victory was?
This site (which is badly formatted) claims, if you scroll quite a bit down, that KJ's average margin of victory was $26,011, and that he averaged 35 correct pre-FJ responses per game.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~curleyb/ ... ersion.Rnw

The j-archive reveals that KJ's average Coryat in regular play was $27,861, which is substantially higher even than Matt's has been ($25,000 to date, which I think was also Matt's Coryat score tonight).

Given those stats, without digging too deep into his 75 games, it seems pretty likely that KJ's victories included large numbers of massacres.
Thanks.
electricia
Contributor

Post by electricia »

Bamaman wrote:
Now I really wish you had won. Where are you from originally?
I'm from a tiny place in rural TN originally, but I went to Bama and lived in T-town for close to 8 years. I'm dying to get back for a game and take my husband. A few years back I was visiting my family and we took a little road trip down to see how much the place had changed since I moved away in 2001. I'd been back in 2004 and it was pretty much the same as when I'd left, but by 2012 (or 2013 I can't remember) it was mind-boggling how much it had changed. This was a couple of years post-tornado, too, so there were still the changes wrought from that.

And you?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

sarisson wrote:I'd guess Matt averaged a 32-35k Coryat at home, and 40-45 right every night prior to his appearances. I feel bad for the two people who faced him on the buzzer at the audition; he probably rang in faster than them nine out of ten times! There are quite a few people on this board who could beat him in the knowledge game (not me), but not on the buzzer.
In the auditions, the contestant coordinators don't call on the people who buzz in fastest on every question; because they want to see how other people project their responses, call out clues, etc., even if one person is dominating on the signaling device.

BTW, I think Matt may have been in my D.C. audition session in March. His anecdote from his first game about playing a severed head in a theatrical production sounded familiar.

Separately, imagine how much J! history would have changed if Matt had made it into one of the college tournaments that he took the online test for, and wasn't still eligible to audition for regular play this season.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:Emily reminded me of Laraine Newman from the original SNL cast.

When Alex told her "I hope you enjoyed yourself" at the end of DJ, there was a delayed subtle laughter from the audience as if she made a negative remark or facial jesture that was edited out. Just speculating, not accusing.
Yeah, just comparing her facial expressions to a description I once heard from someone summarizing a review of a book by Oliver Sacks, I'm pretty sure she has Tourette's. Also, an ingrown toenail. I want to say it's on her left foot on the toe next to the big one. But obviously I could be wrong.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

When I saw that there were already 9 posts here before the episode started, I thought maybe Matt had lost and people who saw it earlier were already talking about it. Then I saw the jazz hands and thought you were all probably talking about that. Shows how good I am at guessing what people are talking about.

FJ was a sort of instaget. I didn't know for sure that Tetris was that old -- I was pretty sure the original Game Boy came out in 1989 and didn't know Tetris was older -- but what else could it have been?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

electricia wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Now I really wish you had won. Where are you from originally?
I'm from a tiny place in rural TN originally, but I went to Bama and lived in T-town for close to 8 years. I'm dying to get back for a game and take my husband. A few years back I was visiting my family and we took a little road trip down to see how much the place had changed since I moved away in 2001. I'd been back in 2004 and it was pretty much the same as when I'd left, but by 2012 (or 2013 I can't remember) it was mind-boggling how much it had changed. This was a couple of years post-tornado, too, so there were still the changes wrought from that.

And you?
I grew up in Florence. I did not go to UA, though I wish I had. I don't go to games, but from what I understand, the stadium has changed a lot in the last ten years or so. The area was hit hard by the tornado. I spent time on the coast post-Katrina and I avoided seeing the Tuscaloosa damage because I had enough of looking at natural disasters.

We lived in Knoxville for a few years after we got married. Being a Bama fan there was interesting, to say the least. I got to see the Peyton Manning years first hand. But we're back in my home state now living the life of empty nesters.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Emily reminded me of Laraine Newman from the original SNL cast.

When Alex told her "I hope you enjoyed yourself" at the end of DJ, there was a delayed subtle laughter from the audience as if she made a negative remark or facial jesture that was edited out. Just speculating, not accusing.
Yeah, just comparing her facial expressions to a description I once heard from someone summarizing a review of a book by Oliver Sacks, I'm pretty sure she has Tourette's. Also, an ingrown toenail. I want to say it's on her left foot on the toe next to the big one. But obviously I could be wrong.
We can do without armchair podiatrist penguins.
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

Bamaman wrote:If anyone does see the other Matt on a contestant list for a week, please do not mention it on here. Do not even say the site has a spoiler, since that would be giving it away.
Exactly why I didn't mention it sooner. :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jazz hands for 10 wins was a good one. What would Matt have to do for a Spinal Tap go to 11?

Matt made $50,000 on a total of $10K on the DDs. What is the DD total for the other guys who did it?

To make any judgment of how the game might go for Matt in the J! round and especially the first segment is ridiculous. Matt clearly has some weakness in the sports history area although he's not completely out to sea as Four Horsemen proved. He should be studying the sports Pavlov we have here.

Tetris has to go high 90s in the weekly poll. As always in such a case I wonder what the misses could be? The Sims? Any of the countless other stacking strategy games?

The next taping day: This our returning champ, Matt Jackson. Care to tell everyone how many games you've won? And how much money?

The rest of pool:
Spoiler
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Pretty astounding turnaround by Matt after starting out in the hole. Yeah, he's no Subaru, that's for sure.

First time I've ever heard anyone pronounce El Paso as "El Pah-so."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I tried to write my answer in tetraminos but i don't think I quite pulled it off. Admittedly it was an afterthought after I wrote it normally... :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote:Tetris has to go high 90s in the weekly poll. As always in such a case I wonder what the misses could be? The Sims? Any of the countless other stacking strategy games?
Mine was the "I have no idea" miss.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ElendilPickle wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Tetris has to go high 90s in the weekly poll. As always in such a case I wonder what the misses could be? The Sims? Any of the countless other stacking strategy games?
Mine was the "I have no idea" miss.
Yeah, I think if you know anything more about Tetris than the name "Tetris" you're going to get this FJ correct.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Matt has a Facebook fan page if anyone wants to be a part of it. It's currently at about 1,200 likes and I think it's the real Matt that's managing it. I've already seen a couple trolls go on the page just to harass him but they are outnumbered.

If you have Facebook, just search "Matt Jackson Jeopardy" and you'll see it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was not loving these categories at all. None of them were ringing any bells for me.

I use the term "Fat finger" all the time but still clammed on it.

"Oh, ostro- and visi- are Goth, but how can I turn that into a language? Really, just gothic? Deeeerp."

I clammed on axeman, since the bottom two were film related and I was wondering what an "axeman" could be in a film context after "editor" was already used.

I assume "house call" works or "house visit"? Google says the former is more common.

Producer, house arrest, house of cards, and quite a few others were on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't get them. Result? -$200 Coryat. Yes, that's minus 200.

Instaget FJ! on top of that.

====

Also, FJ! below for anyone who wants to edit in earlier:

Video Games

As part of its 30th anniversary celebration in 2014, this video game used the slogan "we all fit together."
Spoiler
What is Tetris?
Emily Rollman: -$1,200

Elicia Woerle: $3,600+$0=$3,600

Matt Jackson: $35,000+$15,000=$50,000; now a 11 day champion with $339,411