Monday, October 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Historical Artifacts

Its restitchings over the centuries helped perpetuate the story of King Harold II being struck in the eye with an arrow.
Spoiler
What is the Bayeux Tapestry? Julia and Victor misspelled it as "Bayeaux", which was accepted.
Julia Novakovic: $7,000+$3,002=$10,002

Victor Quillen: $12,000+$2,001=$14,001

Matt Jackson: $39,600+$11,400=$51,000; now a 12-day champion with $390,411
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, October 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I won't be able to post FJ right away. Someone message bpmod.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I won't be able to post FJ right away. Someone message bpmod.
Doesn't need to be right away. Now that there theFJguy account, you can edit that in at any time and it'll be right at the top.

(And before you ask I won't be home until later. It's Thanksgiving Day)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Damn near Kid's Week FJ.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Matt once again was very impressive; congrats to him on his 12th win. Victor started strongly but missed his DD; Matt got the other two DD's and capitalized on them. I had 37 correct responses including two triple stumpers: snowmobile and Leon Uris. I also got the missed DD of Truth in Lending Act. Instaget FJ.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

48R instaget FJ; LT: snowmobile, st elmo's fire, trappist monks, leon uris >Mila 18.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I'm not convinced that Victor isn't David Cross workshopping a Southern character, but he may have been Matt's worthiest opponent thus far.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I'm running out of superlatives for Matt. He's grinding good players into dust. And if anything he seems to be gaining more confidence, making larger wagers on his DD's and on FJ (even though he continues to leave money on the table -- with his ridiculous DD solving percentage, he should be going the full Roger Craig). So now he's posted $50,000 or more in total winnings in back-to-back games -- when's the last time someone did that?

I may be misremembering, but it seemed like Matt's opponents helped him in this game by not hunting for the DD's in the DJ round. Of course, if Matt went into FJ with any lead he was going to win the game with such a cupcake FJ.

Oh, and there was a little bit of a letdown at the beginning of the show for those of us who were wondering what combination of appendages Matt would hold up to signify 11. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ginroth
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ginroth »

hbomb1947 wrote:I'm running out of superlatives for Matt. He's grinding good players into dust. And if anything he seems to be gaining more confidence, making larger wagers on his DD's and on FJ (even though he continues to leave money on the table -- with his ridiculous DD solving percentage, he should be going the full Roger Craig). $50,000 or more in back-to-back games -- when's the last time someone did that?

I may be misremembering, but it seemed like Matt's opponents helped him in this game by not hunting for the DD's in the DJ round. Of course, if Matt went into FJ with any lead he was going to win the game with such a cupcake FJ.
Ken won $52,000 in both games 28 and 29; $50,000 then $75,000 in games 37 and 38; and $55,099 then $50,000 in games 71 & 72. I think Ken and Matt are the only people to win >=$50,000 more than once.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Winter (3), "Ice", "Fire" (3), Nothing (2), North (1), Debts (2), Game of Thrones (3)
WW2 (3), Adj (2), River (3), Doc (1), Number (4), "T" (2)

Lach Trash: "St. Elmo's Fire"

Instaget FJ.

So Matt is dominant, with digits or without digits. That's a scary thought. :shock:
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Instaget FJ for me, although I spelled it the way the challengers did.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Once again, Alex seems to have missed the theme in the J! categories. I'll admit, I haven't watched an episode of GoT, but I got most of the references and figured out the others were also Got/ASoIaF references.

Got the first DJ! DD mainly because I was Grammarian at a Toastmasters meeting I was visiting last week, and I chose the word "loquacious" as my Word of the Day that day. Since it was recently in my mind, it helped with the get, I might not have got it in time had I not.

I knew FJ! was __ Tapestry, but I couldn't fill in the blank. Best I got was Domesday Tapestry, but I knew that was more a book (but at least the right time period).

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mxc_takeshi wrote: So Matt is dominant, with digits or without digits. That's a scary thought. :shock:
Actually, I think he's much scarier with digits. Without, I could probably beat him as my buzzer speed would be much greater than his.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Matt on win #12!

The "Danube" DD was my only miss in the "Tributaries" category. I guessed the Volga River. That was a nice pull by Matt; I'm not even sure if the Danube would have been my 3rd guess!

Instant get FJ. I would not have put that one in Kids Week, but it would have been fine for the Teen Tournament.

This time I felt like Matt overwagered on both DJ round DDs. He had comfortable enough leads where he could have wagered smaller on both. And this is just me, but I am never confident in vocabulary categories. I like that Matt has the basic idea that it is generally better to make large wagers on DDs when so many contestants underwager on them, but he still needs to hone that skill a little bit more.
theGrue

Post by theGrue »

I'm dating the lady in the middle, so I got to go see the taping for this one. 8-) Not sure she's too keen on joining, but I'll relay any nice things people say.
hbomb1947 wrote:I may be misremembering, but it seemed like Matt's opponents helped him in this game by not hunting for the DD's in the DJ round. Of course, if Matt went into FJ with any lead he was going to win the game with such a cupcake FJ.
Just wanted to chime in here and say this was the first taping of the week, so nobody knew who Matt was until he took the stage and Johnny informed us he was an 11 day champ. Sure, DD hunting is a good strategy, but nobody knew quite what they were up against until he hit the two in a row and it was all over.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote: This time I felt like Matt overwagered on both DJ round DDs. He had comfortable enough leads where he could have wagered smaller on both. And this is just me, but I am never confident in vocabulary categories. I like that Matt has the basic idea that it is generally better to make large wagers on DDs when so many contestants underwager on them, but he still needs to hone that skill a little bit more.
The issue isn't whether you're comfortable on vocabulary categories. Clearly Matt is -- and in many other categories as well. Overall, Matt is an astonishing 25 of 27 on DD's by my count; I think he is fully justified in having the confidence to bet large on them (especially when he has a big enough lead that he can afford to miss a $10K DD). And remember, on one of the two DD's that he's missed during his run, Matt had the presence of mind to wager $5. But unless the category scares him, the sky ought to be the limit for his DD wagering. I continue to believe that with DD's being so automatic for him, he's still underwagering quite often on them.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Would they have accepted "Bolsheviks" for "Red Army"?
If not, I had $22,400 and 31 right, including Final (if you're not a good speller, the correct response might've gone Bayeux.) I forgot the category was "Religiousi-T" and said "Kama Sutra." (facepalm emoji)
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT "dragon" on Game of Thrones for $200? The whole category seemed YEKIOYD.

Lach Trash on "snowmobile" resulted in me running Winter. Also got "Trappist".

No idea how I've heard of the Bayeux Tapestry, but "restitchings" was enough to get me there.