Thursday, October 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7149, 2015-10-15

CONTESTANTS
Dana Desprois, an attorney from Arlington, Virginia
Josh Silverman, a graduate student from Miami, Florida
Michael Baker, a travel media editor from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I think our returning champion, Michael Baker, kind of surprised himself on yesterday's program when he defeated 13-game winner Matt Jackson. Am I right?

Michael: Yes.

Alex: Yeah. Well, Matt was a great champ. Uh, no need to feel sorry for him. He went home with over $411,000, qualified for this year's Tournament of Champions, which is coming up in a few weeks, in which he could wind up winning an additional $250,000. Same thing could happen to Josh, Dana, or you, Michael. We won't know unless we start the game, will we? Here we go. All right, let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HALLOWEEN COSTUME IDEAS (4/5)
BIOGRAPHIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STARTS WITH "D" (5/5)
REORDERING THE NOTED PAIR (5/5)
THE WORLD FACTBOOK SAYS... (5/5)
OLYMPIC DEMONSTRATION SPORTS (2/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 9 R, 1 W
Josh!: 9 R, 1 W
Dana: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Josh!: $3,800
Michael: $1,600
Dana: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Dana Desprois is an attorney from Virginia...

Dana: That's right.

Alex: Who has a famous cat.

Dana: I do have a famous cat. I started posting pictures of my cat, Iggy, on social media, and I realized that I was doing it a bit too much, and my friends kindly suggested I make the cat its own social media page. And now the cat is much more popular than I am.

[Laughter]

Alex: The cat has more hits on a daily basis than you do?

Dana: Yeah, she--she's very cute and she--in her own way. She's cross-eyed and snaggle-toothed, so... but we love her anyway.

Alex: You should love her because of that.

Dana: Yes. [Chuckles]

Josh: Aw.

Alex: Josh Silverman, graduate student from Miami, Florida. Performing stand-up comedy for how long now? you look--

Josh: 12 years.

Alex: 12 years? My gosh. You don't look old enough to be performing--

Josh: Yeah, so does the person who takes the tickets for the rated "R" movies.

Alex: Uh-huh. Now what kind of material do you perform?

Josh: Uh, some of it's autobiographical. Some of it is stuff that happens in the news, that kind of stuff.

Alex: I mean, this is a presidential election year.

Josh: Well...

Alex: You're gonna have a lot of material before this is over.

Josh: I'm excited.

Alex: Yeah, I--you should be.

Michael: I did. I am a member of the New York City gay men's chorus. And Joan Rivers was a longtime supporter of the organization. And, uh, as, you know, part of her funeral, she wanted a very big celebration, so they asked us to come perform a few numbers at the beginning, and, uh, I got to stay for the whole thing.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Michael: Yes.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dana found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Michael had $2,200, Josh! had $4,400, and Dana was at $1,600. Dana made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

BIOGRAPHIES $600: "Neither Shaken Nor Stirred" is the subtitle of Andrew Yule's biography of this actor

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HALLOWEEN COSTUME IDEAS $1000: If the guys are gangsters, wear fringed dresses & be these '20s gals found in a Fitzgerald title

OLYMPIC DEMONSTRATION SPORTS $1000: Rusty Kanokogi threw herself into making this martial art a demonstration sport in Seoul
(Michael: What is tae kwon do?)

BIOGRAPHIES $1000: Arianna Huffington's biography of this painter was the basis for a 1996 film starring Anthony Hopkins
(Dana: Who is Jackson Pollock?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Josh!: $5,000
Michael: $4,200
Dana: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1965 (2/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DANCE IDIOMS (3/4)
ANCIENT ROMAN LITERATURE (3/5)
SCIENCE & NATURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"ON" TV (3/5)
OLYMPIC DEMON-STRATION SPORTS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josh!: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Michael: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Dana: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josh! snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Michael had $4,200, Josh! had $7,400, and Dana was at $3,400. Josh! wagered $3,000.

SCIENCE & NATURE $1200: A national park near Twentynine Palms is named for this tree seen here

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Michael had $6,600, Josh! had $15,200, and Dana was at $3,800. Michael wagered $4,000.

1965 $1200: On March 23 this space project launched its first mission with Gus Grissom & John Young as commander & pilot
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE & NATURE $1600: The scientific name for the common this plant is Ficus elastica

"ON" TV $1600: This AMC Western is about railroads & revenge

OLYMPIC DEMON-STRATION SPORTS $1600: "The truth is discovered": Lilith had this Squeeze hit as podium music after getting the most innocents to eat forbidden fruit

OLYMPIC DEMON-STRATION SPORTS $2000: Mastering Akkadian, Coptic & Gullah, Legion really came together in this competition, aka glossolalia

ANCIENT ROMAN LITERATURE $1600: Dating from the 2nd century, this Roman emperor's "Meditations" is a classic of stoic philosophy

ANCIENT ROMAN LITERATURE $1200: Better known name of Titus Livius, author of a history of Rome from its founding to 9 B.C.
(Michael: Who is Plutarch?)

"ON" TV $2000: We can't look away from this PBS series subtitled "America's Civil Rights Movement, 1954-1985"

DANCE IDIOMS $1600: With multiple alliteration, it means that both entities have to be willing

1965 $1600: This U.N. ambassador & former Democratic presidential nominee died in July & Arthur Goldberg succeeded him
(Dana: Who is RFK?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Josh!: $15,200
Michael: $10,600
Dana: $3,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE MIDDLE EAST

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Josh!: Wager $6,001 to cover Michael, but no more than $7,599 so as not to fall behind Dana's doubled score.
Michael: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,400 (martian), and you'll win the game if Josh! wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Dana: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With an area of 4,000 square miles, it's the only primarily Arabic-speaking country in the Middle East that has no desert

FINAL SCORES
Dana: $3,800 - $3,000 = $800 (What is the UAE?) (3rd place)
Michael: $10,600 - $4,601 = $5,999 (What is Lebanon Bahrain) (2nd place)
Josh!: $15,200 + $6,001 = $21,201 (What is Lebanon) (New champion: $21,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Josh!: $13,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Michael: $7,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Dana: $2,800, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $24,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Josh!: 18/59 = .305
Michael: 16/59 = .271
Dana: 10/59 = .169
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OLYMPIC DEMONSTRATION SPORTS $800: This sport, aka boardsailing, was a demonstration sport in 1984
(Josh: What is surfing?)

STARTS WITH "D" $400: Refresh yourself with the banana type of this rum drink

REORDERING THE NOTED PAIR $200: Smucker's blackberry & Jif's extra crunchy, in that order
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute to go now.)

REORDERING THE NOTED PAIR $1000: We turn the fashion world upside down as D&G becomes G&D, this new brand; sorry, Domenico, Stefano is now No. 1
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCIENCE & NATURE $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Alaska.) It's summer now, but during their winter sleep, bears don't eat, drink, or urinate; how their kidneys remove toxins from the blood is unknown, but if it could be replicated in humans, it would eliminate the need for this process for patients with kidney failure

"ON" TV $800: From 2005 to 2010, "Kathy Griffin" was followed by this subtitle
(Michael: What is, uh, Life on the D-List?)

OLYMPIC DEMON-STRATION SPORTS $800: Sadly, Zabulon got disqualified from his wrestling match after going outside the border of this symbol

SCIENCE & NATURE $400: I'm gonna say hi to this animal. Its Angora type comes from Turkey & gives mohair. Say hi to your mother for me
(Josh: What is a rabbit?)

DANCE IDIOMS $800: To steal an item, perhaps in Vienna, likely in triple meter
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sean Connery
flappers
judo
Pablo Picasso
a Joshua tree
Gemini
the rubber plant
Hell on Wheels
"Tempted"
the ability to speak in tongues
Marcus Aurelius
Livy
Eyes on the Prize
it takes two to tango
Adlai Stevenson
Lebanon
windsurfing
daiquiri
jelly & peanut butter
Gabbana & Dolce
dialysis
My Life on the D-List
a pentacle (or pentagram)
a goat
waltz away with
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

The Middle East

With an area of 4,000 square miles, it's the only primarily Arabic-speaking country in the Middle East that has no desert
Spoiler
What is Lebanon? Dana had UAE (United Arab Emirates); Michael crossed out Lebanon for Bahrain.
Dana Desprois: $3,800-$3,000=$800

Michael Baker: $10,600-$4,601=$5,999

Josh Silverman: $15,200+$6,001=now a 1-day champion with $21,201
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Well, for those that thought Matt was yelling during his run... Have a bit of that.

Polo shirts, fist pumps, wristbands, oh my! I must say I was tickled at the Joshua tree DD. I just hope he doesn't try to do stand-up during his subsequent interview segments.

FJ! was tough because I can visualize square miles about as well as I can visualize Kelly Miyahara with a goatee. It took me just a smidge over 30 seconds but I got it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What fresh hell is this? After three weeks of that blowhard, I was hoping for a few games of Michael's mellowness. Instead we are assaulted by another blowhard, one who bellows, spells his name with a ! and plays the board from the bottom up.

Interestingly enough, [not that interesting after all. Just uncalled for].

Adlai Stevenson was easy, so many TOMs: former Democratic nominee, died in '65, replaced by Arthur Goldberg. I don't think any of our current supreme court justices would give up their lifetime tenure to be UN ambassador for a few years.

I had to think for a few seconds but came up with Qatar.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

grindcore wrote:It took me just a smidge over 30 seconds but I got it.
Which is to say you didn't get it. ;)

Not that I did -- went with Qatar (which is about the right size, at least).
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

After such a good wager from FJ yesterday, a complete wagering fail on the last DD and FJ from Michael today. Ended up not mattering, but still.....

New champ reminds me of loud Howard from the Dilbert cartoon.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprisingly, I was 19/28 in DJ!, with three runs (Halloween Costumes, Starts with "D", and Noted Pairs), and all but Picasso in Bios. No way was I getting any of those obscure World Factbook pieces, though.

Even more surprisingly, I ran the silly Demon-ic category in DJ!

Lots of Lach Trash, too: flapper, "Tempted", speaking in tongues, rubber, "it takes two to tango".

WLT Tibet or Goat at $400? And what was with that "Say hi to your mom" thing in the goat clue, too?

No guess on FJ!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Think the new champ is a bit happy to be there and win? Cool.

The late DD wager in addition to FJ was not pretty.

On a side note, I made the mistake of reading gator's post even though he's on my ignore list. Can he be banned the following?
floridagator wrote:What fresh hell is this? After three weeks of that blowhard, I was hoping for a few games of Michael's mellowness. Instead we are assaulted by another blowhard, one who bellows, spells his name with a ! and plays the board from the bottom up.

Interestingly enough.......
Please?

Pretty please?
Last edited by Golf on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Tibet or Goat at $400? And what was with that "Say hi to your mom" thing in the goat clue, too?
In order, Roof of the World, angora, and not a clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:On a side note, I made the mistake of reading gator's post even though he's on my ignore list. Can he be banned for today's comments on the chorus? Please?
I can't do the banning, but I can definitely edit the comment out.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote:
Golf wrote:On a side note, I made the mistake of reading gator's post even though he's on my ignore list. Can he be banned for today's comments on the chorus? Please?
I can't do the banning, but I can definitely edit the comment out.
Cool. Good quick work.

I just don't think commenting on the chorus is something we need here. Who cares how people act while under the lights? All that should matter, at least to true boardies, is how the game is played.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Tibet or Goat at $400? And what was with that "Say hi to your mom" thing in the goat clue, too?
In order, Roof of the World, angora, and not a clue.
That might be it. I couldn't picture what could possibly be a "roof of the world", since the only thing I could picture being a literal roof of the world would be, well, the outer layers of the atmosphere. Over-literalism chokes me up again.

Also, I have heard of angora rabbits, but not goats to my knowledge.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

It's referencing a Saturday Night Live sketch, where Andy Samberg plays Mark Wahlberg talking to animals. You can watch it here: https://screen.yahoo.com/mark-wahlberg- ... 00362.html
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Golf wrote:Can he be banned for today's comments on the chorus? Please?
I found it on the web site of the GMC of Charlotte: "It's our amazing 10th anniversary season. Join us! You don't have to be gay - or even a man! - just sing tenor, baritone or bass and blend in dress-wise on stage. "

From an article about NJ GMC: "Just because it’s a gay men’s chorus doesn’t mean you have to be gay, or even a man, to join. “We don’t have any rules that say you have to be male to sing with us,” Russell says, “so technically we’ve always been open to membership to anyone. ... ""

From an article about the Philly GMC: “You don’t have to be gay or even a man to join the chorus,” clarifies Weight. “That is not what this is about.”

So I don't think anyone is going to be banned for parroting something that is common knowledge among fans of GMCs. I even owned a couple of GMC CDs myself, back when CDs were a thing.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
WLT Tibet or Goat at $400? And what was with that "Say hi to your mom" thing in the goat clue, too?

No guess on FJ!
A nanny goat is called a mama, and goats say "maaa."
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

danspartan wrote:New champ reminds me of loud Howard from the Dilbert cartoon.
I call a jarring lack of indoor voice Billy Mays Syndrome.

Oh wait, I didn't spell that right. BILLY MAYS Syndrome.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Josh played well. I had 36 correct responses. There were quite a few triple stumpers of which I got five: flappers, rubber plant, speaking in tongues, takes two to tango, and Adlai Stevenson. I got FJ after thinking about it for about 15 seconds.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Well, that was embarrassing. I was looking in the wrong part of the Middle East, and went with a random country (Oman) which turns out to be nearly 120,000 square miles. Qatar (4,468 square miles), which I also considered, would have been a better guess.

So is Lebanon's lack of a desert that well-known? Is it one of those YEKIOYD facts?

As for the game itself, it was bound to be a letdown after the excitement of last night. I was disappointed that Mike wasn't hunting for a DD until the very end, despite being in a trailing situation -- and then he underwagered when he found it. Not that it (or his FJ overwager) mattered in the end, with Josh's sole solve.

I thought that DD was neg-baity, by the way; Apollo 1 was only 2 years later, in 1967 (although tragically it never got off the ground, which I guess is the key thing to know there).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:I thought that DD was neg-baity, by the way; Apollo 1 was only 2 years later, in 1967 (although tragically it never got off the ground, which I guess is the key thing to know there).
One astronaut = Mercury
Two astronauts = Gemini
Three astronauts = Apollo
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

hbomb1947 wrote:I thought that DD was neg-baity, by the way; Apollo 1 was only 2 years later, in 1967 (although tragically it never got off the ground, which I guess is the key thing to know there).
Not only that, but Gus Grissom was on both missions.