Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7153, 2015-10-21

CONTESTANTS
Kelly Winck, a grants and development manager from Knoxville, Tennessee
Dennis Golin, a video editor from New York, New York
Robert Arrowood, a former realtor from Provincetown, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. As you just heard, Robert earned a lot of money yesterday. He played the game well. It was a close match, but he came up with the correct response in final and wagered a lot of money. Kelly and Dennis, the same thing could happen to you, you know. Good luck. Here we go. Categories in this first round of play are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCRAMBLED 20th CENTURY DECADES (5/5) (Alex: Let me give you an example that they have written. If I were to say the clue is, "fife sit", you would say the decade is, "What are the fifties?" Okay?)
"I" OF THE TIBER (4/5)
NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS (4/5)
ARE YOU GAME? (5/5)
THE PREAMBLE OF THE CONSTITUTION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HOPE YOU REMEMBER THAT OLD SONG! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dennis: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Robert: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Kelly: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kelly found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Robert had no money, Dennis was scoreless, and Kelly was at $800. Kelly made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

THE PREAMBLE OF THE CONSTITUTION $600: "Provide for the common" this; the president's proposed 2014 budget for it was $526.6 billion
(Kelly: What is welfare?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dennis: $2,800
Kelly: $2,600
Robert: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kelly Winck is from Knoxville, Tennessee. Tell me about the youth foundation you work for.

Kelly: I work for Emerald Youth Foundation, uh, which is an urban youth and community development, uh, organization in Knoxville. And we work, uh, with the 14 inner city communities, uh, in Knoxville. We do after-school programs, sports programs, um, a college completion, uh, kind of mentorship program.

Alex: What's the age range of the kids you're helping?

Kelly: We go from 5 to 25.

Alex: Wow.

Kelly: So, yeah, we do holistic child development, uh, basically from kindergarten through, uh, young adult through college.

Alex: Good for you. Way to go.

Alex: Dennis Golin is a video editor from New York who has a public access sketch comedy show.

Dennis: I do, yeah.

Alex: Uh, which means you're working with other people.

Dennis: Well, yes, four or five friends of mine. Basically, anybody who's in the house, I involve them and throw them on the air.

Alex: Public access sketch comedy show--how would I get to see your show?

Dennis: Well, if you're in the New York area and you're up at 1:00 A.M. in the morning, then... please check it out.

[Laughs]

Alex: Okay. On television?

Dennis: It is on television, on MNN, the local station.

Alex: All right. I'll look for it next time I visit my son there.

Alex: Robert Arrowood, a former realtor from Massachusetts. And I guess a big jazz fan. You once sat backstage with a lady whose name comes up so often in crossword puzzles.

[Robert chuckles.]

Alex: Ella Fitzgerald.

Robert: That's right. I, uh, used to be a production manager, stage manager. And before one of her final concerts in Texas, uh, I got the opportunity to sit backstage, hold her hand, and we talked about going to the grocery store.

Alex: Really?

Robert: And then I got to walk her onstage.

Alex: She was very down-to-earth, wasn't she?

Robert: Very, very sweet.

Alex: Lovely lady. I met her once.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"I" OF THE TIBER $800: In this book, the title guy says I'm "usually called Tiberius... inappropriate because the Tiber runs very fast"

NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS $1000: This group was started in Britain in 1942 to feed starving women & children in Greece

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dennis: $6,200
Robert: $5,200
Kelly: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DIRECTORS BY FILM (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the film. You give us the director.)
HISTORIC NAMES (3/5)
STATE FAIR SITES (5/5)
HEMINGWAY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BLANK "UM" (3/5) (Alex: Responses will end with "U-M".)
VETERINARY MEDICINE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Jimmy: ...from the school at U.C. Davis, ranked No. 1 in the world for making the same strides in animal health that are being made for humans.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dennis: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Robert: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Kelly: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dennis snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Robert had $12,000, Dennis had $11,000, and Kelly was at $2,800. Dennis wagered $3,000.

HEMINGWAY $1600: In 1928 Hemingway went to a Princeton game with this author, who got drunk after the game

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dennis who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Robert had $14,000, Dennis had $16,000, and Kelly was at $4,000. Dennis wagered $2,000.

VETERINARY MEDICINE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Veterinary Hospital at UC Davis, CA.) The hospital has its own blood bank & a program for local dogs to give blood; dogs with type dea 1.1 negative are considered this, their blood type suitable for any recipient

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC NAMES $1200: Almost 100 years before the Wright Brothers were born, these French brothers pioneered flight in hot air balloons

HISTORIC NAMES $1600: After helping to bring Catherine the Great to power, this military leader & statesman became her lover
(Dennis: Who's Metternich?)

HEMINGWAY $2000: Harry is dying of gangrene while on safari in Africa in this short story

BLANK "UM" $800: It's a retail store that sells a variety of items like the one at Disneyland that sells hats, pins, snacks, etc.

BLANK "UM" $2000: These 2 metallic elements that start with "C" differ by only a letter

VETERINARY MEDICINE $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Veterinary Hospital at UC Davis, CA.) With a fistulated cow, students literally have a window into the beginnings of the digestive process & what happens to food & nutrients in this first chamber of the stomach

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dennis: $18,000
Robert: $14,000
Kelly: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PRIME MERIDIAN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third. Shore's Conjecture.
Dennis: Wager $10,000. Risk any less and Robert may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Kelly may overtake you if you get it wrong. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $2,001.
Robert: Wager all $14,000. If Dennis bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Kelly: Wager all $4,000, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Dennis if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Besides the U.S., it's the only country that the Prime Meridian touches that starts with a vowel

FINAL SCORES
Kelly: $4,000 + $4,000 = $8,000 (What is Algeria?) (3rd place)
Robert: $14,000 + $5,999 = $19,999 (What is Angola) (2nd place)
Dennis: $18,000 + $13,999 = $31,999 (What is Algeria) (New champion: $31,999)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dennis: $15,400, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Robert: $14,000, 16 R, 2 W
Kelly: $4,800, 11 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Dennis: 25/60 = .417
Robert: 17/58 = .293
Kelly: 12/59 = .203
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS $800: Here's the logo of this foundation that works to give every baby a fighting chance

NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS $400: (Hi, I'm Mark Kelly.) My wife Gabrielle Giffords & I founded Americans for Responsible Solutions in response to the 2012 Sandy Hook tragedy in this Connecticut community

"I" OF THE TIBER $200: The Tiber is one of the longest rivers in this country
(Robert: What is... Iraq?)

HOPE YOU REMEMBER THAT OLD SONG! $600: In 1990 he got his "Freedom" by singing, "all we have to do now, is take these lies, & make them true somehow"
(Dennis: Who is Neil Young?)

ARE YOU GAME? $600: Its game board is seen here

"I" OF THE TIBER $600: Water intakes on the Tiber are chiefly used for this, from the Latin for "watering"
(Kelly: What are aqueducts?)

DIRECTORS BY FILM $1600: 2014:
"Gone Girl"
(Dennis: Who is Ben Affleck?)

HISTORIC NAMES $800: In a Jan. 1, 1946 broadcast, he repudiated his semi-divine status as emperor
(Robert: Who is Mao?)

VETERINARY MEDICINE $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Veterinary Hospital at UC Davis, CA.) As seen in the "before" & "after" photos, dogs benefit from eye surgery to restore vision loss caused by this clouding of the lenses
(Kelly: What is glaucoma?)

HEMINGWAY $1200: In this novel American Robert Jordan joins the Republican Army in Spain
(Kelly: What is A Farewell to Arms?)

BLANK "UM" $1200: Beware that the pretty flower seen here yields this

VETERINARY MEDICINE $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Veterinary Hospital at UC Davis, CA.) One of the most important procedures students learn in the U.C. Davis Veterinary Hospital is how to perform these two birth control surgeries, depending on if the animal is male or female

VETERINARY MEDICINE $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Veterinary Hospital at UC Davis, CA.) The state-of-the-art linear accelerator with real-time imaging is designed to treat cancer more quickly by delivering precise doses of this to destroy abnormal cells

CORRECT RESPONSES
defence
I, Claudius
Oxfam
(F. Scott) Fitzgerald
a universal donor
the Montgolfier Brothers
Grigory Potemkin
"The Snows of Kilimanjaro"
an emporium
cerium & cesium
the rumen
Algeria
the March of Dimes
Newtown
Italy
George Michael
Chinese checkers
irrigation
(David) Fincher
Hirohito
cataracts
For Whom the Bell Tolls
opium
spaying & neutering
radiation
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

The Prime Meridian

Besides the UK, it's the only country that the Prime Meridian touches that starts with a vowel.
Spoiler
What is Algeria? Robert had Angola
Kelly Winck: $4,000+$4,000=$8,000

Robert Arrowood: $14,000-$5,999=$8,001

Dennis Golin: $18,000+$13,999= now a 1-day champion with $31,999
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robsidian89
Contributor

Post by Robsidian89 »

32 right, I swept the old hits and scrambled decades categories. I couldn't think of the right African country for the Prime Meridian and said Ireland, gambling that the two were both on the line, but I knew that seemed way too easy. Good game overall, Dennis and Robert both played well

LT: Montgolfier and emporium
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

I got the FJ by dumb luck, even though I was pretty sure Algeria was too far east. I guess need to get that map shower curtain that all the Jeopardy champions seem to have.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Dennis played very well; congrats to him on his win. I had 43 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Montgolfier and cerium/cesium. I also got the missed DD of defense. Instaget FJ. I precalled that the FJ clue would be about a country through which the prime meridian passes. So I made a mental list of these countries, and one of them was Algeria.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I wish I'd gotten around to ordering that world map (the kind you put pins in to illustrate your travels) that I want to hang over my desk. My guess for FJ was Andorra, which turned out to be shockingly close to being correct (the longitude of its capital, Andorra-la-Vella, is just 1 degree and 31 minutes east of the prime meridian).

I think the Montgolfier freres were undervalued at $1,200 in a non-TOC game. (Clues about those ballooning bros were valued at $1,600 in 2012, and $2,000 in 2007. The clues were TS's on both of those other occasions too.). In the meantime, I was happy to scoop up that lach trash.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Leander

Post by Leander »

My guess for FJ was the Ivory Coast. Algeria never occurred to me as I think I implicitly assumed it was too far east.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Doctors Without Borders.

Suggestions on keeping Nightingale/Barton straight? I always mix them up.

Had no idea what country the Tiber is in.

Decades was insultingly easy, and I ran it with ease. Got all but bridge in Game.

Preamble seemed very YEKIOYD.

4/5 in State Fairs. The only Columbia I could think of immediately was Missouri, so I clammed.

Hemingway was miles over my head. It seems there is just way too much to know about him, and that they use a different TOM for him literally every time. The ones I did know, six-toed cats and Key West, didn't come up.

Got only the bottom two in "Um".

Algeria? No, that's more inland/eastward, I think, the Prime Meridian wouldn't cross it. Screw it, why put anything down, anything I put down will be wrong.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

That last DD wager could have resulted in a tie if he missed. Odd wager but would have made FJ very interesting.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really liked this board! And based on appearances, I felt like we were watching Rani Peffer vs. Josh Brakhage vs. Jeff Kirby in this game.

I had no idea on the "Hall & Oates" clue, but I guessed correctly based on "'70s duo." I also thought that "I'm a Believer" was overvalued at the bottom of the board.

I joined the contestants in falling into the "Ben Affleck" and "glaucoma" traps.

The "Hemingway" category was an easy run for me. I would have wagered all but like $50 on the DD in that category.

That category on state fairs really got the better of me. I was clueless on all but the top clue in that category, if I remember correctly.

Geography is a funny category for me. It is generally one of my best, but if the clue is a fact that I don't already know off the top of my head then I am probably going to be useless mapping it out in my head. I was also worried that Algeria is too far east, but I had nothing else to guess. That one saved me from a possible doughnut on the FJs for this week.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

danspartan wrote:That last DD wager could have resulted in a tie if he missed. Odd wager but would have made FJ very interesting.
That last DD wager was a boneheaded move for the ages. What a shame the clue was basically "what is it called when you can give blood to anybody?". I very very badly wanted that to come back and bite Dennis.

That decades category was so wonderful, challenging, funny, and not at all ridiculous. They should have one exactly like that in every single episode. :x

Geography FJ! Yeah!!! I got it, but was pretty sure like many others here that it Algeria was too far east. Thought of Andorra but what are the odds of it hitting the bull's eye?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Was expecting this king of FJ, thought of Algeria but dismissed it for Egypt. Major facepalm.

Off topic... I normally don't watch WoF, but did today. Just wow.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Leander wrote:My guess for FJ was the Ivory Coast. Algeria never occurred to me as I think I implicitly assumed it was too far east.
I wrote Ivory Coast immediately just because it starts with a vowel. Then thought about how far east the equator and prime meridian intersect and began thinking of Northern Africa to get to the correct answer.

Scribbled at the last second!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

grindcore wrote:
danspartan wrote:That last DD wager could have resulted in a tie if he missed. Odd wager but would have made FJ very interesting.
That last DD wager was a boneheaded move for the ages. What a shame the clue was basically "what is it called when you can give blood to anybody?". I very very badly wanted that to come back and bite Dennis.
Not that I was rooting against Dennis (despite his inexcusable DD wager), but I was so hoping to see a tiebreaker question after FJ . . .
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

The correct DD wager is to just go for the win right there--considering 800 clue in an easy category. 13K gets a lockout and some chance at 2nd if it comes to that.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

danspartan wrote:The correct DD wager is to just go for the win right there--considering 800 clue in an easy category. 13K gets a lockout and some chance at 2nd if it comes to that.
I think that's debatable. Ordinarily I would bet the ranch on an $800 DD unless I really hated the category. But there's still a chance of a curveball, and in that game situation the most important thing is to be in first place going into FJ -- which you're guaranteed to be if you wager no more than $1,999.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

If you dont get to >1.5x of 2nd then you have to get FJ correct if 2nd wagers correctly. A small bet means you have to get FJ correct to win (most likely). In that case you can win if you just go for it OR you can win with correct FJ answer.

5,0001 is needed to get >1.5x if you miss you are in a close 2nd and can win if the new leader misses in FJ (you bet small). Cant be optimal though cause we are taking a chance to have a chance--the product of those probabilties is unlikely to be above 50%.

Any small DD wager is just treading water waiting for FJ. Guess category and player specific. I'd think random correct % on a 800 video DD is higher than FJ.

2,000 is the nut worst. The tie is awful with the new rules.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Welp,
I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to watch this game, since our local affiliate pre-empted it with Thursday's game. :x
It wasn't that long ago they broadcast the same episode two days in a row. :evil:
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

With the departure from the top-to-bottom strategy, it was hard to keep score in this episode. I think I had $25,400 (38 right, including Final, 0 negs). I was 11-14 in geography in LL66, so that FJ was an instaget. Algeria is very wide.
Was it just me, or were the bottom two rows of the DJ round very tough?
Hoping for a third lap