Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Suggestions on keeping Nightingale/Barton straight? I always mix them up.
Simple. The former is British, the latter American.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

My dream category - Veterinary Medicine at UC Davis - since I went to...wait for it...UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine! And the second DD in DJ!, and in the second row!!!!! Oh my god, would I have jumped on that one. I just want to cry that I wasn't there to play it.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Game (3), Con (4), Non (3), Decade (5), Tiber (2), Song (4)
Film (3), History (2), Fair (5), Hemingway (2), "UM" (2), Vet (1)

Lach Trash: "cerium/cesium"

I settled on Algeria at the last minute. I briefly considered Andorra, but rejected it because of its minute size; I might have went with Ivory Coast if I had thought of it.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Did anyone else learn the Preamble by watching Schoolhouse Rock? If not for that I don't think I would've run the category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

thenextofken wrote:Did anyone else learn the Preamble by watching Schoolhouse Rock? If not for that I don't think I would've run the category.
Somehow, the "America Rock" was the only one of the original four (America, Grammar, Science, Multiplication) that I never saw at all, and I only saw Grammar and Science once each.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

doihavetoreally wrote:

Off topic... I normally don't watch WoF, but did today. Just wow.
Thanks for the tip as I paid a little more attention than I usually do even though I often have it as background noise during computer time after J! Great player and contestant and I felt guilty for getting a Wednesday Addams vibe at first look.

There were a couple of times it seemed like Alex hesitated to count a response as correct such as after the "bridge" one. I don't like it because it makes me doubt my own response. Alex has always been quite sharp, so I hope it's just some kind of fluke and not any kind of declining skills.

steveo: You gonna have a problem with J! glorifying such games at GTA? There can be a lot more mayhem in those games than in any episode of GoT. (Uh...so I've heard ;) )

PRIME MERIDIAN seemed a tip off for some kind of touching country thing. I was prepared to take a shot with Portugal or Morocco because of course I would know little of where it actually goes after the UK. To me the clue meant head to Africa. I knew enough not to guess the E countries in the eastern part of the continent.

Ivory Coast never occurred to me. That left me with Algeria & Angola. I went the right way tonight at that time. The show could ask the same clue in a year and I cannot guarantee I don't have Angola instead.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:...PRIME MERIDIAN seemed a tip off for some kind of touching country thing. I was prepared to take a shot with Portugal or Morocco because of course I would know little of where it actually goes after the UK. To me the clue meant head to Africa. I knew enough not to guess the E countries in the eastern part of the continent.

Ivory Coast never occurred to me. That left me with Algeria & Angola. I went the right way tonight at that time. The show could ask the same clue in a year and I cannot guarantee I don't have Angola instead.
Forgot about Equatorial Guinea on the Atlantic coast? I considered it briefly, but remembered that the 0° Longitude and 0° Latitude meet in the ocean. Ivory Coast to the west of the meridian, so stick with Algeria.
OCSam
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

thenextofken wrote:Did anyone else learn the Preamble by watching Schoolhouse Rock? If not for that I don't think I would've run the category.
That's exactly how I remember it. Once I start thinking of that tune, the words come easily.

I use J! Archive to cycle through past FJ clues, and got it based on this one:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ht=algeria
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Not the best final wager by Dennis, but with this debut, he could very well also go on a bit of a run. And I hope he does.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,200
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: defense (DD), emporium, cerium & cesium

The J! round seemed particularly easy (26/30 even after clamming on the March of Dimes and blanking on Newtown), but DJ! ate me alive. I figured FJ! had to be Algeria just because of its size, but part of me did wonder briefly if it might be Equatorial Guinea. I'm surprised by all of the consideration of Ivory Coast on FJ! Given that the trend in this country over the last several years has been to call the country by its official name of Cote D'Ivoire, it's highly unlikely that is would be the correct response to a "country starting with a vowel" clue.
hbomb1947 wrote:
danspartan wrote:The correct DD wager is to just go for the win right there--considering 800 clue in an easy category. 13K gets a lockout and some chance at 2nd if it comes to that.
I think that's debatable. Ordinarily I would bet the ranch on an $800 DD unless I really hated the category. But there's still a chance of a curveball, and in that game situation the most important thing is to be in first place going into FJ -- which you're guaranteed to be if you wager no more than $1,999.
I disagree with the bolded. In this situation, the leader needs to get his choice of either the DD or FJ! right to win (assuming rational wagering, of course). He can either bet big on the DD, where he knows the category, the approximate difficulty level and that contestants are historically far more successful on DDs than on FJ!, or he can punt to FJ!, where he has none of these advantages.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote:My guess for FJ was the Ivory Coast. Algeria never occurred to me as I think I implicitly assumed it was too far east.
The official name of the country is Côte d'Ivoire, so I don't think they'd ever use a clue stating that the country's name starts with a vowel...since it doesn't and all.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Leander wrote:My guess for FJ was the Ivory Coast. Algeria never occurred to me as I think I implicitly assumed it was too far east.
The official name of the country is Côte d'Ivoire, so I don't think they'd ever use a clue stating that the country's name starts with a vowel...since it doesn't and all.
From 5/11/15 - GILLIGAN'S "I"SLAND $1600: Fittingly, the national soccer team of this African nation is known as the Elephants
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
From 5/11/15 - GILLIGAN'S "I"SLAND $1600: Fittingly, the national soccer team of this African nation is known as the Elephants
I stand corrected, but they really shouldn't refer to the country as Ivory Coast.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I got FJ but I wasn't confident. Good thing Andorra never crossed my mind! Good game overall. The new champ was impressive in his knowledge.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I stand corrected, but they really shouldn't refer to the country as Ivory Coast.
"I"LAND - force of habit
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Also thought of Andorra but def went with Algeria (bigger target, eh!). 46R, + 6 LT: I, Claudius, Oxfam, Montgolfier bros, Potemkin, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, emporium. ;)
Ran cats: Tiber; Hemingway, 20th Century decades scrambled (LOL), vet medicine and history. As usual only 2 gets in pop music. Go figure.
Missed sweep in "UM" with cerium-cesium, was thinking of calcium-cadmium but have to change two letters, meh! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:In this situation, the leader needs to get his choice of either the DD or FJ! right to win (assuming rational wagering, of course). He can either bet big on the DD, where he knows the category, the approximate difficulty level and that contestants are historically far more successful on DDs than on FJ!, or he can punt to FJ!, where he has none of these advantages.
This. An average J! player is going to get FJ correct ~50% of the time. The get rate on a second row DD should be at least 90%. Bet on yourself and win the game right there.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
And they really shouldn't refer to Myanmar as Burma, but they use them interchangeably.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Considered Iceland and Algeria. Went for the former.

There's an emotional aspect to wagering from the lead on a final-clue DD (not saying it's right or good; it's just a fact, I think). Sure, chances are better of getting a second-row DD right, but I believe plenty of people would rather lose getting FJ wrong from a narrow lead than by wagering themselves into second place one clue before a triple get FJ. It's like the emotional side of the Monty Hall problem: switching improves your chances of winning, but if you switch and lose, then you're the schmuck who had it all along and dropped it at the last moment.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The anagramed decades category was stupid. It should have been on Kids week if they had kid-friendly anagrams for the 60s and 20s.

I spent too much time in Europe and then spanning the globe on FJ. Landed in Africa late and got stuck in Egypt. At the last second I figured out what country it was, except I could not remember the name in time. That makes eight straight misses for me.

I was part of a large chorus shouting "Miss it" when he bet $2,000 on that DD. Sadly, he got a simple clue, though it would not have mattered as FJ was a sole get.