Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote:
caknuck wrote:
Woof wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The anagramed decades category was stupid. It should have been on Kids week if they had kid-friendly anagrams for the 60s and 20s.
My sentiments exactly. What a lazy effort on the part of the writers.
Errr... lamburger?
Spamburger...suck it Trebek
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:I got the cesium/cerium clue, but only because I thought of cesium first. If I'd thought of cerium first, I'd have fastened on curium as being one letter off and considered my work done. Curium doesn't work because the clue asked for metallic elements. But it's awful negbaity. Possibly even more so for our Canadian friends who, I suspect, use the official IUPAC spelling of "caesium", which takes that element out of the running.
Curium's fine. In fact, I think curium and cerium is a more accurate answer given the official caesium spelling.
The actinide /ˈæktɨnaɪd/ or actinoid /ˈæktɨnɔɪd/ (IUPAC nomenclature) series encompasses the 15 metallic chemical elements with atomic numbers from 89 to 103, actinium through lawrencium.[2][3][4][5]
(Disclaimer, I went cesium/cerium)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

dhkendall wrote: I got the Montgolfier brothers mainly because of a Monty Python sketch about them. (Can it be called a sketch if it's practically the entire episode?)
Me, too! In fact, in a case of irony, that night my boyfriend comes home, after having missed Jeopardy! and we decide to watch an episode of MP, like we tend to every once in a while. We watch the episodes in order, so, oddly, this very night the next one up in the queue was The Golden Age of Ballooning. This happens to me all the time. What a place, this Trebekistan.
Not Jeopardy! material :(
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm really tired so I made some unforced errors, including "welfare" for "defense". Got "cataracts" on the first try, though.

Got cerium and cesium--can't see any reason why cerium and curium wouldn't be correct.

I don't remember ever hearing of the Montgolfier brothers, though that doesn't mean I haven't.

I'm bad at geography--said Antarctica for FJ. I figured it wasn't a country but couldn't summon enough energy to make a better guess.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I got the cesium/cerium clue, but only because I thought of cesium first. If I'd thought of cerium first, I'd have fastened on curium as being one letter off and considered my work done. Curium doesn't work because the clue asked for metallic elements. But it's awful negbaity. Possibly even more so for our Canadian friends who, I suspect, use the official IUPAC spelling of "caesium", which takes that element out of the running.
Curium's fine. In fact, I think curium and cerium is a more accurate answer given the official caesium spelling.
The actinide /ˈæktɨnaɪd/ or actinoid /ˈæktɨnɔɪd/ (IUPAC nomenclature) series encompasses the 15 metallic chemical elements with atomic numbers from 89 to 103, actinium through lawrencium.[2][3][4][5]
(Disclaimer, I went cesium/cerium)
I don't suppose hafnium and hahnium are acceptable.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:I don't suppose hafnium and hahnium are acceptable.
Nope.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Did they literally cut a hole in a cow so you could watch its digestive system in action?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Euphonium wrote:Did they literally cut a hole in a cow so you could watch its digestive system in action?
Yup. Pretty standard at most veterinary schools. They say that the cow doesn't mind it, but it still strikes me as creepy.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote:Did they literally cut a hole in a cow so you could watch its digestive system in action?
Could be worse

http://www.livescience.com/28996-hole-i ... stion.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

Volante wrote:
Could be worse

http://www.livescience.com/28996-hole-i ... stion.html
Not 5 miles from Rancho Del Jefe is a museum (in St. Albans, VT) with notable Vermont-related exhibits such as
1) a room dedicated to the St. Albans Raid, the northernmost conflict of The U.S. Civil War (mainly a horse-rustling and arson escapade)
2) mannequinned recreations of two of the most famous US medical oddities in history. One guy had something of a headache (I hate it when that happens!):

ImagePhineas Gage

and the other sad sack (Alexis St. Martin) wandered into a career by injury (and spurred Dr. Beaumont to revolutionize digestive science)

ImageSt. Martin and Beaumont

Now could we all sing a few verses of "There's a hole in my stomach, dear doctor, dear doctor, there's a hole in my stomach, dear doctor a hole!"?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That's gonna leave a mark.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I stand corrected, but they really shouldn't refer to the country as Ivory Coast.
I agree. But the list of countries they refer to in English whose name is not English is very long:
Germany
Poland
Italy
Spain
China
Japan
etc., etc.

Do you also think the same about all of those?
I presume he doesn't. Here's why Côte d'Ivoire is different. They have officially declared Côte d'Ivoire to be their name IN ENGLISH (and in all other languages). They decline to recognize translations of their name. The US government accedes to their wishes in this. The US State Department page for the country calls it Cote d'Ivoire. For comparison, the US State Department page for Spain calls that country Spain.

Even more telling is their US State Department page for Passports & International Travel. First, note that the URL ends with "cote-divoire.html". For comparison, the URL for Spain's page ends, as you would expect, with "spain.html". Second, note on that page that their "official name" is "Republic of Côte d'Ivoire", a translation from the French "République de Côte d'Ivoire". (And again, Spain's OFFICIAL name on their page is "Kingdom of Spain".) Notice in that official name that "République" and "de" get translated. "Côte d'Ivoire" does not. It has, officially, no translation. It should not be confused with the identical French phrase which does have a translation. When speaking of the country, "Côte d'Ivoire" is Côte d'Ivoire. Period. Letters to The Ivory Coast are returned, unopened, with the stamp PAYS INCONNU. Ok, just kidding about that last part. I think.

tl;dr - They're Côte d'Ivoire because that's what they want to be called and that's what we agree to call them.
The only thing I would add to this, is that "we" in this case, is presumably the U.S. Government. I doubt that Cote d'Ivoire has any ongoing diplomatic relations with Jeopardy!, or any other trivia-providing organization, so I think that they're in the clear. Oh, and just to make bpmod's day, here's some pretty damning evidence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Coast
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I stand corrected, but they really shouldn't refer to the country as Ivory Coast.
I agree. But the list of countries they refer to in English whose name is not English is very long:
Germany
Poland
Italy
Spain
China
Japan
etc., etc.

Do you also think the same about all of those?
I presume he doesn't. Here's why Côte d'Ivoire is different. They have officially declared Côte d'Ivoire to be their name IN ENGLISH (and in all other languages). They decline to recognize translations of their name. The US government accedes to their wishes in this. The US State Department page for the country calls it Cote d'Ivoire. For comparison, the US State Department page for Spain calls that country Spain.

Even more telling is their US State Department page for Passports & International Travel. First, note that the URL ends with "cote-divoire.html". For comparison, the URL for Spain's page ends, as you would expect, with "spain.html". Second, note on that page that their "official name" is "Republic of Côte d'Ivoire", a translation from the French "République de Côte d'Ivoire". (And again, Spain's OFFICIAL name on their page is "Kingdom of Spain".) Notice in that official name that "République" and "de" get translated. "Côte d'Ivoire" does not. It has, officially, no translation. It should not be confused with the identical French phrase which does have a translation. When speaking of the country, "Côte d'Ivoire" is Côte d'Ivoire. Period. Letters to The Ivory Coast are returned, unopened, with the stamp PAYS INCONNU. Ok, just kidding about that last part. I think.

tl;dr - They're Côte d'Ivoire because that's what they want to be called and that's what we agree to call them.
The only thing I would add to this, is that "we" in this case, is presumably the U.S. Government. I doubt that Cote d'Ivoire has any ongoing diplomatic relations with Jeopardy!, or any other trivia-providing organization, so I think that they're in the clear. Oh, and just to make bpmod's day, here's some pretty damning evidence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Coast
I look at it as a case of calling them what they want to be called. I refer to the head of the Kardashian clan as Caitlyn Jenner and the anti-secrecy advocate as Chelsea Manning because that's what they want to be called, and I see deliberately doing something else as dickish. (However, I also have no compunctions against referring to the track star as Bruce Jenner and the soldier as Bradley Manning and using male pronouns to refer to those areas of their lives). I see country nomenclature as the same way, referring to a country the way they want it to be called in English is a sign of courtesy and respect towards it, as is calling the reality TV star Caityln.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You most likely know it as Côte d'Ivoire, but it will always be Ivory Coast to me.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

If any place should be a Kardashian-free zone, it's JBoard.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:I look at it as a case of calling them what they want to be called.
Like how the creator of the .gif format says it's pronounced "jif"? :)
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I look at it as a case of calling them what they want to be called.
Like how the creator of the .gif format says it's pronounced "jif"? :)
No no, take the whole post into account!
dhkendall wrote:...referring to [something] the way they want it to be called in English is a sign of courtesy and respect towards it...
I, for one, cannot respect someone who thinks 'gif' should start with a soft-g sound.