Thursday, January 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6299, 2012-01-26

CONTESTANTS
Brendan Graham, a soldier and a physician from San Antonio, Texas
Rhonda Hammons, a former video store owner from Winnsboro, Louisiana
Taylor Cope, a financial analyst from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Our champion, Taylor, started practicing with his parents at Jeopardy!-style games when he was just 5 years old. Well, he made it pay off yesterday to the tune of $28,000, so now he has a lot of finances to analyze. Rhonda and Brendan, newcomers, welcome aboard. Pick up those signaling devices, because you have to go to work right now. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FAMOUS FIRSTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
APPLIANCES (5/5)
BIBLICAL GEOGRAPHY (4/4)
RETRONYMS (4/5)
SPORTS BY MOVIE (5/5)
USS IWO JIMA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Taylor: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Rhonda: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Brendan: 10 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rhonda found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Taylor had no money, Rhonda had $200, and Brendan had nothing in the bank. Rhonda wagered $1,000.

FAMOUS FIRSTS $400: In March 1841 the U.S. Senate experienced its first continuous one of these; it lasted 6 days

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rhonda: $4,600
Taylor: $2,400
Brendan: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brendan Graham, soldier, surgeon, who is married to a...

Brendan: Another physician in the United States Army, yes. My wife Lindsay, who is a United States Army internal medicine physician, uh, uh, and I are both physicians in the United States Army, and she actually recently depl--returned from a deployment to Iraq this past March.

Alex: Now did you two meet in the service?

Brendan: We did. We actually met at our, uh, officer basic training at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Rhonda Hammons from Winnsboro, Louisiana. You're gonna love this. A guy she met took her out to a movie and dinner, right?

Brendan: Right.

Alex: And the next day?

Brendan: I had a good time. He asked me out again. The next night, went to the same restaurant and to the same movie. [Laughter] And he seemed to have no recall of the movie. [Laughs] There--there was no third date.

[Laughter]

Alex: Taylor Cope, you attended a university with a very famous person.

Taylor: Indeed. This is my school tie there. It's the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.

Alex: In Scotland, and that's where Prince William...

Taylor: William, and indeed, his lovely wife Kate.

Alex: Yeah. Now Prince William--was he, uh, a rabble-rouser? Was he a bit of a fun guy? A party guy?

Taylor: Very--very well behaved, although I have to say I never saw him in the careers office, so I don't know what he's gonna do after school.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, we'll try to figure out something for him to do. You have command of the board right now.

Taylor: Thank you, sir.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RETRONYMS $600: Sometimes we have this, as opposed to daylight saving
(Brendan: What is daylight spending?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rhonda: $6,200
Taylor: $5,600
Brendan: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A REAL RHODES SCHOLAR (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MARVEL-OUS (2/5)
AUTHORS' RHYME TIME (4/5)
ANIMALS IN THE NEWS (4/5)
BAVARIA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOUNDS LIKE A LANGUAGE (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end in -I-S-H.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brendan: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Taylor: 9 R, 1 W
Rhonda: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brendan snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Taylor had $6,000, Rhonda had $6,200, and Brendan was at $7,400. Brendan wagered $2,600.

BAVARIA $2000: Every 10 years the villagers of Oberammergau stage about 100 performances of this type of Easter drama

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brendan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Taylor had $11,600, Rhonda had $5,800, and Brendan was at $12,400. Brendan wagered $2,400.

A REAL RHODES SCHOLAR $2000: This Arkansas senator for whom an international scholarship is named was a Rhodes scholar

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MARVEL-OUS $800: In Neil Gaiman's graphic novel "1602", Marvel kills off this British ruler
(Brendan: Who is Henry VIII?)
(Rhonda: Who is James I?)

MARVEL-OUS $1600: "She-devil with a sword", she made her first appearance in Marvel's Conan the Barbarian No. 23
(Rhonda: Who is Xena?)

MARVEL-OUS $2000: His surgical career was cut short after an accident, so now he's "Master of the Mystic Arts"

SOUNDS LIKE A LANGUAGE $800: I have labored to learn this ancient tongue, which happens when the end of a race is too close for the naked eye
(Taylor: What is finish?)
[Taylor's response was initially accepted but the ruling was reversed when Brendan found the second daily double at clue 28. Taylor was not penalized.]

ANIMALS IN THE NEWS $2000: In Sept. 2010 the FDA held hearings over approving genetically altered these fish for human consumption
(Brendan: What is tuna?)

SOUNDS LIKE A LANGUAGE $2000: I get by in this, a verb meaning to reduce someone to a state of dire want
(Taylor: What is diminish?)

AUTHORS' RHYME TIME $1200: Ian's migratory rodents

A REAL RHODES SCHOLAR $1600: This cable TV newswoman received a doctorate in politics from Oxford
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brendan: $14,800
Taylor: $11,600
Rhonda: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HEALTH MATTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Brendan: Wager $8,401 to cover Taylor.
Taylor: You'll want to wager $3,201, and you'll win the game if Brendan wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Rhonda: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This term for sudden severe head pain that typically lasts only a few minutes was trademarked by 7-Eleven in 1994

FINAL SCORES
Rhonda: $5,800 + $2,800 = $8,600 (What is a brain freeze?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Taylor: $11,600 + $8,401 = $20,001 (What is "Brain Freeze") (2nd place: $2,000)
Brendan: $14,800 + $11,601 = $26,401 (What is a brain Freeze) (New champion: $26,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brendan: $13,800, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Taylor: $11,600, 18 R, 1 W
Rhonda: $5,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Brendan: 21/60 = .350
Taylor: 19/58 = .328
Rhonda: 12/59 = .203
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FAMOUS FIRSTS $600: In 1963, for the 1st network use of this technology, Lindsey Nelson cautioned that "Army did not score again"
(Brendan: What is, uh, football? Or what is television, I'm sorry?)

USS IWO JIMA $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the deck of the USS Iwo Jima in New York.) The tiltrotor Osprey carried Barack Obama during his 2008 tour of Iraq & was later used in relief efforts in this Caribbean nation after the January 2010 earthquake

USS IWO JIMA $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the deck of USS Iwo Jima in New York.) The Harrier jet, a British-American hybrid that can take off & land vertically, has been used by the Marines all over the world & by the British in this 1982 war in the South Atlantic

USS IWO JIMA $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the deck of USS Iwo Jima in New York.) The backbone of the Marines' attack helicopter fleet, the Cobra helped provide air support in the 1990 evacuation of the U.S. embassy in this Liberian capital
(Alex: You found your, uh, category, it seems. Go again. [Chuckles])
(Brendan: My compatriots in the Navy would be proud.)

USS IWO JIMA $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the USS Iwo Jima in New York.) The LCAC amphibious landing craft rides on a cushion of air, delivering troops & equipment to beaches around the world; in 1991, a record 11 LCACs were used in the Persian Gulf during Operation this

USS IWO JIMA $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clues from the deck of USS Iwo Jima in New York.) The Iwo Jima's motto "Uncommon valor" comes from this commander of the Pacific Fleet in World War II, who said, "For those who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue"

RETRONYMS $200: Typewriter keyboards had only one kind of slash; on computer keyboards, it's now called this "slash"
(Brendan: What is a back slash?)

BIBLICAL GEOGRAPHY $800: This city is also called Zion, referring to one of the hills on which it stood
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SOUNDS LIKE A LANGUAGE $1600: I'm fluent in this, the type of Islamic worshiper seen here in the specific garb of his order

A REAL RHODES SCHOLAR $400: George Stephanopoulos was a Rhodes scholar in theology before becoming a senior aide to this Rhodie
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

A REAL RHODES SCHOLAR $800: First in his class at West Point, this Rhodes scholar later ran for president

CORRECT RESPONSES
a filibuster
standard time
a passion play
Fulbright
Queen Elizabeth I
Red Sonja
Doctor Strange
photo-finish
salmon
impoverish
Fleming's lemmings
Rachel Maddow
brain freeze
instant replay
Haiti
the Falklands
Monrovia
Operation Desert Storm
(Chester) Nimitz
the fore-slash (forward slash)
Jerusalem
a whirling dervish
Bill Clinton
Clark
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Health Matters
This term for sudden severe head pain that typically lasts only a few minutes was trademarked by 7-Eleven in 1994.
Spoiler
What is a brain freeze?
Brendan Graham: $14,801+$11,601=$26,401...now a 1-day champion with $26,401
Taylor Cope: $11,600+$8,401=$20,001
Rhonda Hammons: $5,800+$2,800=$8,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Unfinished rounds grumble grumble...ok, moving on.

7-Eleven trademarked 'brain freeze'? It seems like such a natural expression, I'd have thought it predated them. Oh well, super-duper-mega-instaget nonetheless. Health Matters? The writers are pushing it.

26k goes a long way towards offsetting the sting of answers like 'daylight spending'.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:7-Eleven trademarked 'brain freeze'? It seems like such a natural expression, I'd have thought it predated them. Oh well, super-duper-mega-instaget nonetheless. Health Matters? The writers are pushing it.
*nod* Had no clue that it was trademarked.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

It would have sucked if a doctor missed FJ because the question wasn't about actual health.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:7-Eleven trademarked 'brain freeze'? It seems like such a natural expression, I'd have thought it predated them. Oh well, super-duper-mega-instaget nonetheless. Health Matters? The writers are pushing it.
It's not like you can't use the phrase. Just don't name your drink after it and try to sell it.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Slurpy Burpy?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Nobody's mentioned the wagering yet. We had the same scenario as the other day: lock-tie for second within 2/3 of first (maybe closer, but I still don't understand the difference between 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, etc.)

I fully expected (well, not really) second to wager zero and third to wager everything. That way, second comes back in 4 of eight outcomes. First is coming back in the other four anyway, so why would second risk some of those four? And why would third not take the only chance (s)he has at coming back?

Oh, yes, I forgot. We cannot ask why.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Tune in tomorrow to see if Brendan ever smiles!
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

Budphrey wrote:Tune in tomorrow to see if Brendan ever smiles!
Thought the exact same thing. Dude never so much as cracked a smirk. Outstanding self-control (if you're a half-full kinda person).

Picked up impoverish and Maddow, among some other Lach Trash. Should've kept score. Oh well.

Flip-flopped between "ice cream headache" and "brain freeze." "Brain freeze" sounds a hell of a lot easier to sell as a product, so I settled on it.
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
Merriam-Webster says its first known use was in 1991, three years before the trademark. 7-11 need not have invented it, only be the first to associate it with a product, in this case the Slurpee.

I got it after a moment's thought, but I have always called that phenomenon ice cream headache. If someone had asked me to define "brain freeze," I would have said "a memory lapse." So I wasn't sure where the answer came from, and I was sure it was wrong until the reveal.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Diners Club vs. credit card had me tossing a coin to go specific or general on the clue. Was the clue pinned for Diners only?

Not every military contestant can be a Dave Belote on the contestant congeniality scale. Brendan won, but was he having fun? How can we tell?

The FJ clue had me go right to brain freeze, but I had a distractor in thinking about the same name as part of the "Operation" board game. I had to assure myself I had the right term.

The photo finish ruling on Taylor was unusual to only take the clue value from him, but not bust him for a neg since he was not offered a BMS.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Diners Club vs. credit card had me tossing a coin to go specific or general on the clue. Was the clue pinned for Diners only?
It mentioned he was at a restaurant, so that's why I went to Diner's Club.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Diners Club vs. credit card had me tossing a coin to go specific or general on the clue. Was the clue pinned for Diners only?
Yes. I have heard that story of Diner's Club's origins before. But I've never actually seen a Diner's Club card or ever heard anyone mention having one. I once worked the phones for a mail order catalog. They took Diner's club, but I never had a customer use it.

For FJ, I felt the Army doc had it locked up based on the category. Although it really wasn't medically related, it was an insaget for him, and for me.

Though it didn't matter, what would they have done if the champ had ended DJ leading by $400 and then had the $800 taken away? That would not have been fair for him to lose the game due to Alex's screwup.
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Budphrey wrote:Tune in tomorrow to see if Brendan ever smiles!
I had to watch thru the end of the broadcast to see if he would lighten up with Alex and he DID! He actually smiled!

Also, did the champ say fore slash instead of forward slash and not get dinged? Or is fore slash ok?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

messyjesse wrote:Flip-flopped between "ice cream headache" and "brain freeze."
Sadly, I didn't. I said the former immediately and never considered anything else. As soon as the first answer was revealed, I knew I was dead.

We had that mega-rare chance again for someone to say "I'd like to make it a daily sextuple, Alex!" and once again forsaking it (despite actually converting it into one.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wimple wrote:Also, did the champ say fore slash instead of forward slash and not get dinged? Or is fore slash ok?
I've never used it, myself.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:The photo finish ruling on Taylor was unusual to only take the clue value from him, but not bust him for a neg since he was not offered a BMS.
I wondered if it was merely unusual or actually unique.

When Taylor made the response and Alex negged him, I initially felt Taylor had gotten a raw deal. But on second thought, I decided it was the other players who'd been deprived. "Finish" is not what happens "when the end of a race is too close for the naked eye". I say give him the zonk and let Brendan or Rhonda get the rebound.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Wimple wrote:Also, did the champ say fore slash instead of forward slash and not get dinged? Or is fore slash ok?
I thought I heard "foreward slash", but that was a completely bogus clue.

There are slashes and backslashes. "Foreward slash" is redundant. But, then again, when I am instructing somebody and I say 'slash', almost invariably the person asks "foreward slash or backslash?", usually followed by "which is which anyway?"

The slash is the one coupled with the question mark on the bottom row. The backslash could be anywhere. (It's coupled with the pipe, but most people don't know that either.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.