Tuesday, October 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alan tiger »

greenwich village is located between 14th street and houston street (pronounced " how' - stun "). manhattan is separated into east and west sides by fifth avenue. the southern portion of fifth avenue ends at waverly place, which is basically 7th street. washington square park and new york university straddle what would be the southern portion of fifth avenue.
i lived at sheridan square (west 4th street between 6th and 7th avenues) in the very heart of the west village from 1975 - 2010. when new yorkers say "the village," they are usually referring to the west village. when new yorkers want to refer to the east village, they almost always say "the east village."
jayne was entitled to full credit for her answer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:Think that's going to be my favorite FJ of the season. Upon first glance, completely impenetrable. But process it for a few seconds, unbelievably obvious.
I have a lot of sympathy though for anyone who when from Hal to Ham, came up with Hamilton, and stuck with that. Once you have such a plausible response, it's hard to force the mind to keep working. My disorderly mind landed on Hancock first, so I was saved from embarrassment.

I totally went through all the stages of getting suckered on the Black Maria clue though. Hubris-induced Hamartia (It's obviously Spades. Boom!), Peripeteia (No?!??!! That's not right? How can it not be right?), Anagnorisis (Hearts? Really? I'm flabbergasted and discomfited by this revelation), Catharsis (Ooooohhhhh. Because of the Queen of Spades. It all makes sense now. I shall curse my fate and amputate my buzzing thumb).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:It all makes sense now. I shall curse my fate and amputate my buzzing thumb).
Birds ain't got thumbs.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:It all makes sense now. I shall curse my fate and amputate my buzzing thumb).
Birds ain't got thumbs.
Not anymore.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

This exchange is...disturbing.

One could say it has ruffled my feathers.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

Ironically, the day my three-day winnings total is passed is the day I taught Lord Byron--the FJ answer in my losing game, which I had hoped my opponents wouldn't get. Sigh.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Strong game for me, though as an avid hearts player, I'm kicking myself for falling into the spades trap on Black Maria! I've never heard heard it called that, but it makes sense and reminds me of a scene in one of my favorite old tearjerkers, "Make Way For Tomorrow." Beulah Bondi is pestering the players at her daughter-in-law's bridge game, talking about how she prefers hearts and that they always called the queen of spades "Dirty Dora."

No single card really has any significance in spades (unless you count the ace of spades, which is unbeatable and fatal to have in your hand if you go for a blind nil).

Instaget final, though I certainly sympathize with those with Hamilton on the brain.

eta: The HoF category must have been REALLY easy, because even I went 5/5 on that one.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

triviawayne wrote:Was I the only one hoping someone would write the answer really large?
Nope - if I had been there I totally would've done so! :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote:Was I the only one hoping someone would write the answer really large?
Was I the only one that sang the old John Hancock Insurance jingle?
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

Have to admit that I was rooting for Jayne as soon as I saw she would be on the show. She was in my KC audition group; stood beside her in the practice game. Still, played better than I did.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I thought it was just me. That would have been an extraordinarily nice touch to finish the game, I thought.

:)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OSXpert wrote:To me, it seemed very clear that they wanted three letter responses, but I also agree that nothing was explicitly said that make her answer incorrect. So, I just hope they gave her the money back very begrudgingly.
In the end they gave her $1,000 for third place, so it's pretty much moot.

I also thought it was clear they wanted a 3-letter word, so I thought her response was correctly ruled incorrect initially. All the others were 3-letter words.

All thing considered, I think Jayne hit the trifecta for three of the worst wrong answers in a single game in a long time:

1. Mutt instead of cur for (many of us thought) 3-letter word;

2. Travel from Missouri to New Mexico becomes the Oregon Trail (seriously?); and

3. Given that they are asking for a name beginning with "P," she gives Yalta instead of Potsdam.

She seemed like a really likeable young woman, but those made me wonder whether she was really reading the clues.

Congrats to Sean on making the Hall of Fame, and I hope he continues his very nice run.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: 2. Travel from Missouri to New Mexico becomes the Oregon Trail (seriously?);
Surely everyone knows the Oregon Trail ends in the Willamette Valley after you travel down the rock filled river (well, rock filled except for the far right which is always inexplicably clear...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Parts of the Whole weren't connecting. "Cementum? Well, I've never heard of that, so clearly it's NOT a tooth."

NHO Santa Fe Trail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SposGx8dZts
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I focused on "Founding Fathers" more than "Declaration of Independence signers" and got Hamilton and never looked back. :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote:2. Travel from Missouri to New Mexico becomes the Oregon Trail (seriously?);
That one I can kinda understand, because it's possible to latch onto "blah blah TRAIL blah blah Missouri", tune out the New Mexico part, and knee-jerk "Oregon Trail".

Since I figure I'm the only one who missed it because I had never heard of the Santa Fe Trail, at least.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote:
John Boy wrote: 2. Travel from Missouri to New Mexico becomes the Oregon Trail (seriously?);
Surely everyone knows the Oregon Trail ends in the Willamette Valley after you travel down the rock filled river (well, rock filled except for the far right which is always inexplicably clear...)
I thought it ends when you get dysentery
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote:
Volante wrote:
I thought it ends when you get dysentery
I'd occasionally get one or two party members who didn't drink from Buffalo Runs.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

nlw44 wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I said fen for bog - judges?

I'm fine with the "west village" correction, even though i said greenwich village, but i thought the "mutt" correction was odd. Sure, it technically has 2 consonants and a vowel, but...
The reason AT gave for the reversal was that supposedly he hadn't specified that there were ONLY going to be 2 consonants and 1 vowel...except that he DID specify just that when he introduced the category. He said something to the effect of "...and that's it" after giving the category name. That seems pretty clear to me.
A reasonable way to interpret that, and given Alex's explanation I think it's very probable that this was the judges' reasoning, is that "only two consonants" means "only two distinct consonants." And "mutt" does in fact have only two distinct consonants, "m" and "t."
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Euphonium wrote:
nlw44 wrote:
OSXpert wrote:I said fen for bog - judges?

I'm fine with the "west village" correction, even though i said greenwich village, but i thought the "mutt" correction was odd. Sure, it technically has 2 consonants and a vowel, but...
The reason AT gave for the reversal was that supposedly he hadn't specified that there were ONLY going to be 2 consonants and 1 vowel...except that he DID specify just that when he introduced the category. He said something to the effect of "...and that's it" after giving the category name. That seems pretty clear to me.
A reasonable way to interpret that, and given Alex's explanation I think it's very probable that this was the judges' reasoning, is that "only two consonants" means "only two distinct consonants." And "mutt" does in fact have only two distinct consonants, "m" and "t."
All this hand-wringing over the merits of MUTT is for naught; Scrabble fans and others should tell you MUT has been an acceptable alternate spelling for the same word in Merriam-Webster for many (dozens of?) years. Certainly I have not encountered it 'in the wild,' as we say, but it avoids the debate over "that's it" nicely...