Friday, October 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7160, 2015-10-30

CONTESTANTS
Justin Morales, a graduate student from Omaha, Nebraska
Katie Walker, a biomedical science teacher from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Nikki Grillos, a freelance associate casting director from New York, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $30,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. So far, it's been treats only, no tricks, for Nikki Grillos, our champion. But what will happen in this half-hour? Katie, what happened to your arm?

Katie: I broke my elbow... recently.

Alex: Good thing it's not on your signaling hand.

Katie: Yeah. [Laughs]

Alex: Still got that right one to work. Justin, good to have you here, too. Pick up your devices. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? Let's see if we can have some fun with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LORD OF THE JUNGLE (3/3)
THERE'S A COLOR IN MY BRAND (3/5)
DAY OF THE DEAD (4/5)
ALSO A MILITARY RANK (2/4)
LIT-POURRI (3/5)
CHEMICAL ELEMENT SPELLING (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to give us the word, made from the symbols of the elements we will give you in the clue.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 8 R, 0 W
Nikki: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Katie: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 9
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nikki found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Nikki had $600, Katie had $200, and Justin was at $1,000. Nikki wagered $1,000.

CHEMICAL ELEMENT SPELLING $400: Copper,
phosphorus

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Justin: $3,600
Nikki: $1,600
Katie: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Going to meet your future in-laws or your girlfriend's family can lead to problems. Justin Morales, you had experience in that regard.

Justin: Uh, yeah. I went to Hong Kong to visit my girlfriend's, uh, family, and I went out for dim sum with her, uh, family, as I said. And, anyway, we went out there, and she wanted me to call him grandpa, the Cantonese for "grandpa", and I kept saying another word that means, uh, Cantonese slang for a certain part of the male anatomy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Are you still with that young lady?

Justin: Mandy's my wife today.

Alex: Okay. I bet you don't call grandpa that anymore.

Justin: No, no, no.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Katie Walker, I'm glad to see your right hand works okay on that signaling device. Now, it says here there's a crime scene set up outside your classroom on the first day of class. What is all that about?

Katie: That's right. We, uh--I teach a class called biomedical science at East Chapel Hill High School, and all throughout the year, the students are trying to solve a case where we have a crime scene set up outside with different pieces of evidence, so they get to learn about forensics, anatomy, physiology, and pathology, too. Yeah.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Nikki Grillos. I saw a promo on television the other day for Wee Willy and the Chocolate Factory--Wee Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Nikki: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Yes.

Alex: All right. You're married to somebody who was in that movie.

Nikki: I am, yes. I'm married to Paris Thenmen, who played Mike Teevee, the little cowboy.

Alex: The little one?

Nikki: Little boy. Yep. He got shrunk. Yeah.

Alex: Did he have a career after that film?

Nikki: He's had many careers after that film, yeah.

[Laughter, applause]

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LIT-POURRI $600: This 18th c. novel has wordy chapter titles like "Containing a Conversation which Mr. Jones Had with Himself"

LIT-POURRI $1000: This Irish-born Nobel Prize-winning playwright earned the Croix de Guerre for helping the French resistance

DAY OF THE DEAD $1000: July 5, 2015:
The Dead say farewell with a 50th anniversary show including this song about their "long, strange trip"

CHEMICAL ELEMENT SPELLING $800: Vanadium,
erbium,
selenium
(Katie: What is vase?)

CHEMICAL ELEMENT SPELLING $1000: Protactinium,
thorium

THERE'S A COLOR IN MY BRAND $800: This brand known for smokehouse almonds named itself for a rare gem

THERE'S A COLOR IN MY BRAND $1000: This Heritage brand calls itself "all weather" professional hairspray

ALSO A MILITARY RANK $800: O-9 in the Navy, this word in front of "admiral" that also comes before "squad"

ALSO A MILITARY RANK $1000: O-1 in the Navy; any heraldic badge of authority

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Justin: $3,800
Nikki: $3,000
Katie: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MY MOVIE CHARACTERS (3/5) (Alex: We'll give you the characters. You identify the star.)
QUOTATIONS IN AMERICAN HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LEGAL LINGO (3/5)
WE ADMINISTER! (2/5) (Alex: You name the country that administers the territory we give you.)
"AB"SOLUTELY (3/5)
COSTUMES AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: A visit to the costume department at the Metropolitan Opera. [Thumps bass drum])

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nikki: 7 R, 1 W
Katie: 6 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Justin: 3 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 14
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $21,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Nikki had $5,800, Katie had $4,800, and Justin was at $1,800. Katie wagered $1,000.

QUOTATIONS IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1200: The Gettysburg Address:
"Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not" do this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Katie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Nikki had $4,600, Katie had $5,000, and Justin was at $1,800. Katie wagered $1,000.

COSTUMES AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA $2000: (Alex delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) The Imperial Commissioner is the one who reads the marriage agreement of Cho-Cho-San & Lieutenant Pinkerton in Act I of this opera
(Alex: Before we move on, a quick thank-you to the wonderful people at the Metropolitan Opera for helping us prepare that category. We had a lot of fun, and it was a lot of work. And if you'd like to see some of the behind-the-scenes activity, go to jeopardy.com.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MY MOVIE CHARACTERS $1600: Ludwig van Beethoven,
Lee Harvey Oswald
(Alex: That was [*] in Immortal Beloved and JFK.)

MY MOVIE CHARACTERS $2000: Ted "Theodore" Logan,
Siddhartha
(Justin: Who is Jason Segel?)
(Alex: Little Buddha and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.)

"AB"SOLUTELY $800: Any deviation from what's normal, or the failure of light rays to focus properly
(Justin: What is abstract?)

"AB"SOLUTELY $1600: A summary, like one "of title" that covers the history of a parcel of real estate

COSTUMES AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA $800: (Alex delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) Oh, what fun--I get to clown around in the actual costume worn by this great tenor in some of his more than 100 performances in "I Pagliacci" here at the Met in the early 20th century

COSTUMES AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA $1200: (Alex delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) I'm wearing a consiglieri's costume from "Simon Boccanegra"; it's a rather somber opera by this composer of "La Raviata"

QUOTATIONS IN AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: Thomas Paine:
"These are the times that" do these 3 words
(Katie: What is "try men's hearts"?)

QUOTATIONS IN AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: MLK: "I have a dream that one day... sons of former slaves & the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at" this

WE ADMINISTER! $1200: Western Sahara, until 1976
(Justin: What is Egypt?)
(Alex: Now Morocco does.)

WE ADMINISTER! $1600: New Caledonia

WE ADMINISTER! $2000: Tokelau

LEGAL LINGO $1200: The place where a court trial is held; a "change of" it may be requested because of possible prejudice

COSTUMES AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA $1600: (Alex delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) Aren't I quite the devil in this character's costume from "The Damnation of Faust"?
(Nikki: Who is Satan?)

LEGAL LINGO $2000: Treason is betraying one's country by committing hostile acts; this is inciting the betrayal

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nikki: $6,200
Katie: $6,000
Justin: $1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Nikki: Wager $5,801 to cover Katie. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $2,201.
Katie: Your score is within 4/5ths of Nikki's, so wager between $401 (venusian) and $2,399 (martian), beating Nikki's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Justin's part.
Justin: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Katie, but if Katie decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded in 1873, it was endowed by & named for the richest man in America

FINAL SCORES
Justin: $1,800 - $1,698 = $102 (What is Carnegie Mellon) (3rd place)
Katie: $6,000 - $1,000 = $5,000 (What is Carnegie Univ.) (New champion: $5,000)
Nikki: $6,200 - $5,801 = $399 (What is Carnegie-Mellon?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $29,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Katie: $7,200, 10 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Nikki: $5,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Justin: $1,800, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $14,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Nikki: 13/59 = .220
Justin: 11/58 = .190
Katie: 10/60 = .167
Team: 34/63 = .540

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LIT-POURRI $800: Hughenden is not a typical author's home; this resident was British prime minister, an earl & a hugely popular writer

LORD OF THE JUNGLE $400: As emperor of India from 1910 to 1936, he was George of a heck of a lot of jungle
(Alex: You are right with less than a minute to go now.)

LORD OF THE JUNGLE $600: In the 19th c. Radama I ruled the lemurs of this once jungle-rich island that's now been largely deforested
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

"AB"SOLUTELY $2000: The Latin for "wandering" gives us this name for one who wanders with no means of support
(Alex: You've just doubled your score to $4,000.)

COSTUMES AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA $400: (Alex delivers the clue from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) From Donizetti's "Anna Bolena", I'm decked out now as this royal spouse
(Alex: Yep. Why are you laughing at me?)
(Nikki: I was--you're so handsome, I was overwhelmed.)
[Laughter]
(Alex: You're supposed to say, I looked so regal. Select again.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
cup
Tom Jones
Samuel Beckett
"Truckin'"
verse
path
Blue Diamond almonds
Aqua Net
vice
ensign
perish from the Earth
Madame Butterfly
Gary Oldman
Keanu Reeves
an aberration
an abstract
Enrico Caruso
Giuseppi Verdi
try men's souls
the table of brotherhood
Spain
France
New Zealand
venue
Mephistopheles
sedition
Vanderbilt University
(Benjamin) Disraeli
George V
Madagascar
a vagabond
Henry VIII
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Colleges & Universities

Founded in 1873, it was endowed by & named for the richest man in America.
Spoiler
What is Vanderbilt? All three contestants said Carnegie Mellon.
Justin Morales: $1,800-$1,698=$102

Katie Walkre: $6,000-$1,000=now a 1-day champion with $5,000

Nikki Grillos: $6,200-$5,801=$399
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

When Nikki corrected Alex on "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory," I wondered if she'd cursed herself. I was happy to see Katie win.

There were a lot of TS/stand & stares today. I lost count. Justin looked strong early in J! round but proved weak.

That FJ was a killer. I went with Rockefeller University after deciding Carnegie Mellon didn't fit because the clue only mentioned one man. I was uncomfortable with that choice, because Rockefeller is kind of an obscure institution. My mind briefly wandered to Stanford, except I knew Leland Stanford was never the richest man in America; plus SU wasn't founded until later. Like I said, a killer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That...that was a game that happened. Yep. Yikes.

Instaget FJ. I knew someone would say Carnegie, I just didn't think it would be all three of them :shock:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Pondered Stanford briefly, but I'm an SEC guy, so Vandy came to me quickly and I knew it was correct.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Anybody even remotely interested in sports will yawn at FJ, those not will get sucked in by Carnegie Mellon even it doesn't make much sense.

Always nice to see an intelligent wager from 2nd win a game that most would lose. Pretty big chuckle at the wager from 3rd.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Had CMU even though I was pretty sure it was wrong, but I had nothing better. Would never have gotten Vandy.

The J! round was out of my nightmares. Grateful Dead, chemistry, and literature all on the same board? Good night, folks!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Katie on her win. Not a very well-played game, with many triple stumpers and negs. I had 36 correct responses including ten (!) triple stumpers: Tom Jones, Truckin', verse, path, Blue Diamond, vice, abstract, Enrico Caruso, try men's souls, and venue. Instaget FJ.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Golf wrote:Anybody even remotely interested in sports will yawn at FJ, those not will get sucked in by Carnegie Mellon even it doesn't make much sense.

Always nice to see an intelligent wager from 2nd win a game that most would lose. Pretty big chuckle at the wager from 3rd.
I'm a sports guy and I missed it. Of course I don't know a damn thing about college sports...
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

If they can finish today's DD round, they should be able to finish any game. Tough game to watch.

Movie category was completely impenetrable.

Got FJ solely because the other university is Carnegie and mellon is there too. So went with vandy.. East coast bias?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Jjmorales
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Jjmorales »

Uggh this is Justin, love you guys on here. Very different when you are on the show. Just had what to me was a rough double jeopardy as far as categories. Had a blast just having the opportunity to be on though
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I jumped on Carnegie-Mellon too early, not stopping to think that 1873 was probably too early for Andrew Carnegie to have endowed anything (he was 38 years old at the time). Once Alex said there were 2 anticipated likely responses, I realized the error of my ways and knew that it had to be Vandy. Sadly, I'll be checking "my incorrect guess on Friday's FJ was Carnegie-Mellon" on this week's poll.

P.S. Even if CMU had been correct, Katie's response of "Carnegie Univ." would have been wrong.

What a fitting end to a dismal week of games. How in the world is "These are the times that try men's souls" a stand-and-stare? And I'm lovin' those $1K DD wagers that all the contestants have been making lately. While I congratulate Katie on winning, she was very lucky that Nikki missed FJ, because it was Katie's timid DD wagering that allowed Nikki to grab the lead heading into FJ. At least Katie made a good FJ wager.

ETA: The precursor to what became CMU was founded in 1900.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Maybe I am just way too amused by this than I should be, but how the heck does it take until her third game for the tidbit about Nikki being married to Mike Teevee come up!? That movie is such a classic; I just can't believe that that wasn't mentioned in her first game!

I can't say anything about this game that hasn't been said already. I mean, it was a tough board, but there were still too many inexcusable negs and stand and stares.

I instant got FJ. It probably helps that I am from the south and went to an SEC school. I did think of Carnegie Mellon, but figured that the date in the clue was too early for Carnegie and the school probably didn't fit the clue since it was named for two individuals instead of one person.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

doihavetoreally wrote:If they can finish today's DD round, they should be able to finish any game. Tough game to watch.
Yeah, I was really baffled that they finished the DJ! round, especially since they had that all-video category. I thought the first round went a lot more smoothly, yet they still somehow ran out of time.

Had a tough time with these boards like the contestants. Unlike them, though, I got FJ! after a few seconds.

The new champ seems to like the number 1,000.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

doihavetoreally wrote:If they can finish today's DD round, they should be able to finish any game. Tough game to watch.
Yeah, the fact that we gave seen rounds in games that were much faster paced not get finished is inexcusable.
Ursa Minor
Contributor

Post by Ursa Minor »

econgator wrote:Pondered Stanford briefly, but I'm an SEC guy, so Vandy came to me quickly and I knew it was correct.
At age 79, the "Commodore" made the only philanthropic gift of his life: one million bucks to start a university he would never see. The women's drill team is called The Commodorables. In a defiant anti-union stance, the fall term starts each year on Labor Day.

--John Bear who's wife (the one who should have been
on Jeopardy) did her Ph.D. there in the 1980s
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Stand - and - stare... instaget FJ and clear win from the 4th podium from LT alone!

44R; 14 LT: Tom Jones (The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling, by Henry Fielding); V-Er-Se; Pa-Th; Vice Admiral; Ensign; Keanu Reeves (Siddhartha); ABerration; Verdi (La TRaviata); "Try Men's Souls"; "Table of Brotherhood"; Petty larceny; change of venue; Mephistopheles (shouting this one out, NOT Satan, DOH!); treason >[foment] sedition. Win from LT alone with instaget FJ "Vanderbilt" not Carnegie-Mellon, founded 1900; those guys came into money long after 1873! :!: :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote:Anybody even remotely interested in sports college basketball will yawn at FJ.
Pretty big chuckle at the wager from 3rd.
FTFY
I was anticipating a bad wager from Justin but that was just plain goofy.

And the sub-par games continue.
LT: Truckin, ensign, venue, try men's souls. I cannot believe no one got the rebound on the latter. Good Grief.

ETA, That playhouse category was a crusher. Can't blame Katie for just wagering $1000.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Games like this are hard to watch, especially since my 18-month eligibility expires in two days.