FJs for the 10/26/15 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/26/15 week?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Appropriately, this 1984 blockbuster was the first music CD mass-produced in the United States
43%
On an alphabetical list of Declaration of Independence signers, he comes between Lyman Hall & Benjamin Harrison
76%
Anna Freud wrote, "The infantile ego resorts to" this behavior "in order not to become aware of some painful impression"
26%
On the Horn of Africa, it's the only country whose name in English begins with a silent letter
79%
Founded in 1873, it was endowed by & named for the richest man in America
50%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
THE 1920s $2000: In 1926 she received the first NYC ticker tape parade just for a woman, after her memorable 35-mile swim
46%
TIMELY LIT $1200: "Son of the Morning Star" is Evan S. Connell's study of this lt. col.'s death in June 1876 in Montana
87%
NEO GEO $2000: Tshwane, after a local chief, is the new name of this South African city formerly named for a Boer leader
10%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was "Thriller."
37%
TOYS & GAMES $400: This card game named for a suit is also called Black Maria - Oops! My first guess was spades.
38%
TOYS & GAMES $400: This card game named for a suit is also called Black Maria - Yay! I got hearts right on the first try.
28%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Alexander Hamilton.
17%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Carnegie Mellon.
34%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Stanford.
7%

Total votes: 124

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/26/15 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POP MUSIC HISTORY

10/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Appropriately, this 1984 blockbuster was the first music CD mass-produced in the United States

10/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE FOUNDING FATHERS

10/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On an alphabetical list of Declaration of Independence signers, he comes between Lyman Hall & Benjamin Harrison

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POPULAR PSYCHOLOGY TERMS

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Anna Freud wrote, "The infantile ego resorts to" this behavior "in order not to become aware of some painful impression"

10/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICA

10/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the Horn of Africa, it's the only country whose name in English begins with a silent letter

10/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

10/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded in 1873, it was endowed by & named for the richest man in America

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Born in the U.S.A.
John Hancock
denial
Djibouti
Vanderbilt
The players were 5/14 (35.71%) with a 1-2-1-1-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a triple stumper.

THE 1920s $2000: In 1926 she received the first NYC ticker tape parade just for a woman, after her memorable 35-mile swim

TIMELY LIT $1200: "Son of the Morning Star" is Evan S. Connell's study of this lt. col.'s death in June 1876 in Montana

NEO GEO $2000: Tshwane, after a local chief, is the new name of this South African city formerly named for a Boer leader

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Gertrude Ederle
Custer
Pretoria
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/26/15 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

You can decide whether it was a trick or a treat that I posted the poll a little early this week.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I gave myself extra Africa punishment with the Pretoria clue for also missing the Djibouti one.
Guessed spades first.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Mon - Purple Rain
Wed - arrested development (slightly overthought it there...)
Fri - Stanford
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thriller on Monday

I didn't think that Thriller was the correct response for the Monday FJ clue, but I had nothing else. The Wednesday FJ is one where the correct response seems obvious in retrospect, but I wouldn't have gotten it even if I had all day to think about.

Pretoria's name changing is news to me, and I didn't know that the city was named for a person to begin with.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Lucky guess with denial
Stanford on Friday

Did not know Pretoria was named for a person, went with Blomfontein, which sounded more Boer-like.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I haven't a clue why I guessed Hearts first - Spades is a much more reasonable first guess - but there are times I pull the correct answer out of my Acquitane, and I have no idea why I guessed it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

:cry: :mrgreen: :cry:

"Pleasure-seeking" on the horrendous Freud clue on Wednesday (which could be a candidate for toughest FJ of the quarter). And on Friday, I went to Carnegie-Mellon too quickly without considering any alternatives.

For the rest, I stupidly said Esther Williams for the swimmer who got the ticker-tape parade; and I was thinking Pretoria for the South African city, but wasn't confident enough in it and stayed clam.

ETA: I fell for spades on the card game, but I'm not sure I would have been in a hurry to buzz in on it.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Thriller, repression, and no guess.

Initially thought Spades, but corrected myself before the clue was done being read.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I might have had a better chance on Wednesday if I hadn't interpreted "the infantile ego" as "an infant's ego." I spent the thirty seconds trying and failing to come up with "defense mechanism," and I settled with "repression." Vanderbilt was an instaget that I wasn't expecting given the category.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote:
Pretoria's name changing is news to me, and I didn't know that the city was named for a person to begin with.
It's more complicated than depicted in the clue. According to some quick-and-dirty wikipedia research, the city centre still retains the name of Pretoria; and while there have been proposals to change its name to Tshwane as well, those proposals have been controversial.

The founder of Pretoria, Marthinus Pretorius, named the city after his father Andries Pretorius.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Material Girl on Monday
Tuesday was an instaget (despite precalling Hamilton, once I saw the clue, I went straight to Hancock)
Cognitive dissonance on Wednesday (I may have slightly overthought that one)
Friday was an instaget - I'm actually surprised so many missed it. I went straight to Vanderbilt, then thought of CMU and automatically dismissed it because it's named after two people, one of whom was decidedly never the world's richest person. (EDIT: I guess Mellon was the world's richest person in the 1930s. I thought he wasn't. Doesn't change that I knew he was around too late for the 1870s, and doesn't change that CMU is named after two people.)
Last edited by nightreign on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :(

Carnegie.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday: 1984 :roll:
Friday: Carnegie

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(
Didn't get anywhere on Monday. Hamilton on the brain on Tuesday.

I'm a former avid card player who would have known it was Hearts rather than Spades, but I got as far as "Old Maid? No, that can't be right" before time ran out.

mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

:cry: :) :cry: :) :)
:cry: :) :cry:

Count me in the Thriller and spades camps. Childhood memories of the music video's release threw off my memory of the timing of the former.

I was enjoying a cocktail while watching the Pretoria game, so I knew it was a South African city but ran out of time before I settled on one. Being that it was the same day, I don't even remember what I came up with for final that day, but there's no denying it was probably stupid. As Maggie warned us, alcohol is not a performance-enhancing drug for Jeopardy!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mikeyb wrote: :cry: :) :cry: :) :)

Count me in the Thriller and spades camps. Childhood memories of the music video's release threw off my memory of the timing of the former.

I was enjoying a cocktail while watching the Pretoria game, so I knew it was a South African city but ran out of time before I settled on one. Being that it was the same day, I don't even remember what I came up with for final that day, but there's no denying it was probably stupid. As Maggie warned us, alcohol is not a performance-enhancing drug for Jeopardy!
Neither is tiredness. I've been missing a lot of questions lately I really should be getting, and I'm hoping that it's because I've usually been really tired when watching J! and not because I'm getting stupider.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Linear Gnome wrote:
mikeyb wrote: :cry: :) :cry: :) :)

Neither is tiredness. I've been missing a lot of questions lately I really should be getting, and I'm hoping that it's because I've usually been really tired when watching J! and not because I'm getting stupider.
You? Never! Let's use that extra hour of sleep we gain tonight to get back on top of our games. :D

Speaking of the dangers of cocktails, I see I used the wrong smilies for my right answers. How gauche of me.
Last edited by mikeyb on Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Mon: Thriller
Fri: Clammed, then threw out Princeton at the last minute
@caknuck