Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Rex Kramer »

bpmod wrote:Are you answering that based on the three choices I have given, or should those be the outcomes generally speaking?

Brian
I was influenced by your choices in only one instance:
Spoiler
A) You said "A man and woman have consensual sex. . . . they discover upon her death that she was infected. The man is found to also be infected." This implies that he was not known to be infected -- by anyone, including the man himself -- that he was infectious; therefore, he could not have had the intent needed for a crime to have been committed. If you had written "The man is found by the authorities also to be infected," that might have implied that he knew before they did.

B) If the senior citizen had died of cardiac arrest, then he was dead when the young men (I do not see why their "certain ethnicity" matters) stabbed him. The question then becomes, "What part did they play in causing the heart attack?" Depending on the facts, I could have seen it going any of several ways, but since this is the only one in which "involuntary manslaughter" was even possible, I chose that.

C) "Administer poison" implies intentional dosage -- not something done unwittingly -- which I would have thought supplied the intent needed for a murder charge.
Rex
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Does the administration at Sporcle sit around and try to think of ways to make their site less user friendly? First it was the popups that appear in the middle of a game, Now the screen is formatted in a way that it is too big for my computer screen.
Huh. It looks the same to me. I use AdBlock to keep the ads away. (I'd be a good netizen and let the ads through if they didn't abuse the privilege.) Can you change the screen size by holding the Ctrl key and spinning the scroll wheel on your mouse?
I installed AdBlock and that worked like a charm, thanks for the tip. Other sites I go to are asking me to turn it off so they can get ad revenue. I disabled it for one site because I like them but not another one that I don't like. But yes, the Sporcle ads were out of hand.

The screen size issue just started in the last few days. I don't use a mouse, so what else might help?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My wife drives a school bus. I cannot believe your school and transportation system aren't giving you any support in this situation.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:My wife drives a school bus. I cannot believe your school and transportation system aren't giving you any support in this situation.
Did I mention that it is a very affluent area of town? The offending vehicles are usually of the Tesla, Maserati, Hummer, Mercedes, etc variety. Or at least in that price range. Therefore the school staff came up with a new solution today. Cars continue to get priority treatment, while buses are now permitted back provided they don't upset any of the car drivers. Well, all bus drivers except one. Apparently the newsmedia thing was a plot by the driver to embarrass the school and the school principal has demanded that the bus company not let that driver back into the school.

So, I guess for me the problem is solved. At least at that location.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:The screen size issue just started in the last few days. I don't use a mouse, so what else might help?
Using a mouse? :D I dunno. What are we talking here? A PC with a keyboard but no pointing device of any sort? Try Ctrl and + or - to make the screen bigger or smaller. Firefox and Chrome should remember the new setting and make it Sporcle-specific. It shouldn't affect the size of your other web pages. I'm wondering if you accidentally hit Ctrl+ while on Sporcle and that's the source of the problem. Or maybe they made a change and I just didn't notice. I frequently change the size of my Sporcle page anyway. The right size for a slideshow isn't the right size for a clickable game isn't the right size for a text-only game.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Tonight was the third GOP debate. Jeb Bush has officially lost his status as a credible candidate. (Never really was because of his family's past, but..) KASICH'S ON HIS WAY UP! Yay!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

arjavrawal wrote:KASICH'S ON HIS WAY UP! Yay!
Go home, Governor. You're drunk.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

arjavrawal wrote:Tonight was the third GOP debate. Jeb Bush has officially lost his status as a credible candidate. (Never really was because of his family's past, but..) KASICH'S ON HIS WAY UP! Yay!
While I'm definitely not a Republican, Kasich is, as of now, my least objectionable of the candidates. (This of course changes based on actions, one time, last month even, it was Jeb).

That being said, call me when Kasich is beating Carson and Trump and everyone else. I don't think that's happening any time soon. You need to control the extreme elements in your party first.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Rex Kramer wrote:
bpmod wrote:Are you answering that based on the three choices I have given, or should those be the outcomes generally speaking?

Brian
I was influenced by your choices in only one instance:
Spoiler
A) You said "A man and woman have consensual sex. . . . they discover upon her death that she was infected. The man is found to also be infected." This implies that he was not known to be infected -- by anyone, including the man himself -- that he was infectious; therefore, he could not have had the intent needed for a crime to have been committed. If you had written "The man is found by the authorities also to be infected," that might have implied that he knew before they did.

B) If the senior citizen had died of cardiac arrest, then he was dead when the young men (I do not see why their "certain ethnicity" matters) stabbed him. The question then becomes, "What part did they play in causing the heart attack?" Depending on the facts, I could have seen it going any of several ways, but since this is the only one in which "involuntary manslaughter" was even possible, I chose that.

C) "Administer poison" implies intentional dosage -- not something done unwittingly -- which I would have thought supplied the intent needed for a murder charge.
Rex
You bring up things that I never thought of while giving the facts. My intent was to give the basic facts (definitely influenced by whatever bias I might have, admittedly) without too many details.

In case A, yes, the man did know.

In case B, the elderly man died six days later, after spending those six days on life support. Not during or immediately after the incident, and definitely not before.

In case C, I used the term s/he to refer to the victim. There is a specific reason I did that.

This coming November 10th marks the 40th anniversary of case B. How the heck has time passed so quickly?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I had a "thing the SHC reminded me of" post in the Wikipedia thread, so here's one for this thread:

There's this Halloween Get Fuzzy strip and the next one.

And here's another homage to a certain work of art.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dinghammer wrote:And here's another homage to a certain work of art.
No! Not Lucky!
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

dinghammer wrote:And here's another homage to a certain work of art.
ALF: Hey Willy, help me get the cat into the microwave!
WILLY: Alf, why are you trying to put the cat in the microwave?
ALF: Because he doesn't fit in the crock pot! HA!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I was shopping for halloween candy to give out at my door. There I was, standing in front of the display with two choices in front of me. I was trying to flip a coin in my mind to choose the right one, but I just knew that I was going to fail.

I also realized that only those on JBoard would know my predicament.

Here's what I was looking at:
Spoiler
50_50_90.jpg
50_50_90.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
Brian

PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

dhkendall wrote:
arjavrawal wrote:Tonight was the third GOP debate. Jeb Bush has officially lost his status as a credible candidate. (Never really was because of his family's past, but..) KASICH'S ON HIS WAY UP! Yay!
While I'm definitely not a Republican, Kasich is, as of now, my least objectionable of the candidates. (This of course changes based on actions, one time, last month even, it was Jeb).

That being said, call me when Kasich is beating Carson and Trump and everyone else. I don't think that's happening any time soon. You need to control the extreme elements in your party first.
We keep trying to but Bush, Rubio and Romney just won't go away.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
9021amyers wrote:An important piece of the Trivia Canon will now need to be rewritten. Affirmed in 1978, you are now condemned to the dustbin of history.
http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Affirmed won without ear plugs. :)

When J! does use American Pharoah let's hope it's the FJ! round so we can see the misspellings.
American Faroe! :lol:
Triple Crown + The Classic

Not Secretariat. Not Seattle Slew. Not Affirmed. (Of course that 4th opportunity was not available to them.)
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

PeteMoss wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Bush's campaign manager just resigned, and he's been telling donors that it's "not on life support". Having studied politics while elementary school passed by, it's pretty easy to say that when a Bush family member says something you know not to believe it. That being said, Jeb Bush is on his way out. Romney isn't running. The only guy left to trash is Rubio, who doesn't stand a chance because of his terrible, terrible voting record. Kasich won't beat Trump or Carson, but he may have a strong showing in a place like California, where I'm from, because of the amount of social-moderate, fiscal-conservative Republicans we have here, provided he doesn't drop out beforehand. That being said, I see a Vice Presidential nomination around the corner waiting for someone like him, or possibly court an ex-Democrat-turned-Independent (Webb and/or Lieberman) to the Republican party.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

arjavrawal wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

Bush's campaign manager just resigned, and he's been telling donors that it's "not on life support". Having studied politics while elementary school passed by, it's pretty easy to say that when a Bush family member says something you know not to believe it. That being said, Jeb Bush is on his way out.
Well, considering it seemed to nosedive right after I thought he was the least objectionable, perhaps I am the cause of his bad fortunes and should switch form Katich to Trump and Carson then, those guys could use a dose or twelve of bad luck.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wow, the drama of tonight's World Series game. Will Fox be airing game 6 on Tuesday or Scream Queens?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

arjavrawal wrote: Bush's campaign manager just resigned, and he's been telling donors that it's "not on life support". Having studied politics while elementary school passed by, it's pretty easy to say that when a Bush family member politician says something you know not to believe it.
Fixed that for ya.

If Carson is elected we can all take a nap for 4 years. I'd like to see Trump win just for the laughs, and to see how long it takes him to put his name on the White House.

When Hillary takes office in 2017, she will be 69. Hopefully she will die in office.