FJs for the 10/26/15 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/26/15 week?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Appropriately, this 1984 blockbuster was the first music CD mass-produced in the United States
43%
On an alphabetical list of Declaration of Independence signers, he comes between Lyman Hall & Benjamin Harrison
76%
Anna Freud wrote, "The infantile ego resorts to" this behavior "in order not to become aware of some painful impression"
26%
On the Horn of Africa, it's the only country whose name in English begins with a silent letter
79%
Founded in 1873, it was endowed by & named for the richest man in America
50%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
THE 1920s $2000: In 1926 she received the first NYC ticker tape parade just for a woman, after her memorable 35-mile swim
46%
TIMELY LIT $1200: "Son of the Morning Star" is Evan S. Connell's study of this lt. col.'s death in June 1876 in Montana
87%
NEO GEO $2000: Tshwane, after a local chief, is the new name of this South African city formerly named for a Boer leader
10%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was "Thriller."
37%
TOYS & GAMES $400: This card game named for a suit is also called Black Maria - Oops! My first guess was spades.
38%
TOYS & GAMES $400: This card game named for a suit is also called Black Maria - Yay! I got hearts right on the first try.
28%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Alexander Hamilton.
17%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Carnegie Mellon.
34%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Stanford.
7%

Total votes: 124

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Re: FJs for the 10/26/15 week

Post by patkav »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It feels like a familiar pattern this season: I cruise through the week and trip up on Friday's FJ. I knew CMU wasn't correct, but it was all I could come up with. D'oh!
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Thriller (i'm pretty sure there was another recent clue about Born that I guessed Thriller for, but can't find it in the archive), Hamilton (thought of him, his name's in the range, okay, great, done... [too late] oh, yeah, that guy), repression, no answer (Djibouti wasn't coming to mind, all other countries that were didn't have a silent initial letter).

Torn between Carnegie Mellon, Vandy, and Stanford; dropped CM because of two names, then went with Vandy because I thought of it first. No box of shame for me this week!

Said spades, but realized it was hearts before the contestant spoke. Still counted it wrong.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:x :mrgreen: :(

I play FJ & the 3 extra clues from the archives or from the posts on here, since I can't see any episodes. I knew Gertrude right away for the 1920s clue, just couldn't place her last name for the life of me, especially once I got Stein stuck in my head. Would've counted it wrong after 8 seconds anyway, but I kept trying to think of it for about 3 or 4 minutes. So frustrating...
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Regression rather than denial, though props to the Dear Wife for nailing it. As for Vanderbilt ... the brain was trying to reach it, but I guess I still can't wrap my head around a thoroughly New York industrialist endowing a university in Tennessee.

Also, this.
Leander wrote:Did not know Pretoria was named for a person, went with Blomfontein, which sounded more Boer-like.
Didn't come up with Ederle before the contestant did.
I blurted "spades" even though the queen of spades, and its role in the game of hearts, popped right up into my head. And I have played plenty of games of hearts.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I'm fascinated that at least as of the time I'm writing this, Thriller is outpolling Born in the USA among responses to Monday's FJ, having garnered a whopping 42% of reported responses. I'm genuinely curious as to why this has occurred. What is it about the wording of the clue that led so many boardies, who are much better than the average contestant at this sort of thing, to give the same response of that Michael Jackson album (as opposed to more of a smorgasbord of responses)? I can understand people mixing up the dates of albums that came out over three decades ago (and only a couple of years apart), but as even acknowledged by some Thriller respondents in the game thread, the one released by the King of Pop doesn't seem to fit the clue very well (e.g., what would have been "appropriate" about Thriller being first?). Is it just that Thriller was an album that came out in the early '80s that sold a bazillion copies?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I can't speak for everyone who guessed Thriller, but I was almost positive that it was wrong. I figured that the TOM was not referring to the fact that the album sold a lot of copies, and I knew the year was off, but I had no other guess.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think I was lucky enough to have already known that Born in the USA was the first major commercial CD here. It was my kneejerk reaction, and the blockbuster status, release year, and "appropriately" TOM helped confirm it.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

StevenH wrote:I can't speak for everyone who guessed Thriller, but I was almost positive that it was wrong. I figured that the TOM was not referring to the fact that the album sold a lot of copies, and I knew the year was off, but I had no other guess.
I wasn't thrilled with it as an answer, either, by my mind was stuck in the pop arena and didn't come out of it in time. The albums I most associate with 1984 are Private Dancer and Purple Rain, and those seemed even more off than Thriller.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

2nd straight 5/5 week!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

hbomb1947 wrote:Is it just that Thriller was an album that came out in the early '80s that sold a bazillion copies?
For me, that and general ignorance of pop music; Thriller's on my radar and Born in the USA isn't. (On the other hand, I'm certain I would recognize "Born in the USA" (the song) but not at all sure about "Thriller.") I didn't like Thriller for the "appropriately" part, but better to go with my best guess and probably be wrong than no guess and definitely be wrong, yeah?
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WAGged "memory suppression" on Wednesday. Thought it was a pretty lame clue with no real TOM to grab hold of.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

What's all this about a first guess? Did Jeopardy change the rules?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Vanya wrote:What's all this about a first guess? Did Jeopardy change the rules?
With my wording for the Hearts option I was trying to get the box checked only if the voter said Hearts before hearing the contestant incorrectly guess Spades. Some people when they watch at home are more generous with their personal scoring systems.

The fair way to check the Yay Hearts option was Alex read the clue and the person said Hearts. Coming up with Hearts on a rebound proved nothing in a 4-suit option with one already eliminated. For a J! contestant of course that can be the benefit to be the 2nd person in. For home scoring I don't play that way, but some do.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :oops: :( :( :(
Yikes, what a week. Realized Hamilton wasn't a signer but got stuck on him, repression on Wed, not seeing the map of Africa (that's my general geography weakness), was too sure my first guess Stanford was right even though I doubted he was richest, cause it's a J! favorite. Vanderbilt would never have come...
Pop music is not my category either so I dodged that one, but it seemed fairly obvious.
Another Bloemfontein, and I didn't guess on the cards.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Was I the only person to miss with Rockefeller University? And I figured that Pretoria was named for the Praetorian guard, so went with Durban.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Finally 5/5. "Denial" came after wondering; "Suppression"? Then think: Five stages of grief/loss: Denial, Anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance; = Psych 101. Fun! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Woof wrote:Was I the only person to miss with Rockefeller University?
Nope.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

"Regression" rhymes with "impression" and Bloemfontein sounds like it would be a Dutch last name. No clue on the CD, and somehow I thought BITUSA was a year or two older. And yes, busted on Spades. No problem getting Hancock and Vanderbilt.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:I thought BITUSA was a year or two older.
The recent LL 80s music ML definitely helped out in that regard. I had no problem with the card game as the Black Lady variant of Hearts is a staple chez nous.