Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7164, 2015-11-05

CONTESTANTS
Ken Hill, a nuclear power plant inspector from Mauldin, South Carolina
Mike Barrett, a cashier and writer from Medford, Massachusetts
Sam Stubblefield, a hospital pediatrician from Wilmington, Delaware (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I was standing backstage, watching these three gentlemen as Johnny was introducing them, and thinking, there's an interesting collection of facial hair here.

[Laughter]

Alex: Enough said. Welcome, gentlemen, and good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Let's find out what the categories are, shall we?...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE URGE TO MERGE (4/5)
TIME CAPSULES (4/5)
TEXTING ACRONYMS (4/5)
COMPOSERS (5/5)
2-WORD RHYMING PHRASES (3/5)
POP CULTURE FROM BARTLETT'S (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sam: 9 R, 1 W
Ken: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Sam had no money, Mike was scoreless, and Ken was at $200. Ken wagered $1,000.

POP CULTURE FROM BARTLETT'S $400: Trey Parker & Matt Stone get credit for "Oh my God" followed by this 3-word catch phrase

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $4,000
Mike: $3,600
Ken: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: A nuclear power plant inspector, Ken Hill is from South Carolina. It says here that you and I met abroad.

Ken: Yes, we did.

Alex: When?

Ken: Um, we--we were both in Berlin. You were there with the USO doing a contestant search, and, uh, you--you were the, uh, speaker, you know, while they graded tests.

Alex: While they graded the tests. Did you pass that test, or did you take another one back here in the United States?

Ken: No, I did not pass that test. I didn't think it'd be 28 years before we met, finally.

Alex: Oh, gosh, has it been that long?

Ken: [Laughs] Yeah.

Alex: Okay, well, nice to have you with us today.

Alex: Uh, Mike Barrett from Medford, Massachusetts. I'm surprised that you didn't get with the program today and shave your head...

[Laughter]

Alex: ...and keep your facial hair...

Mike: Right.

Alex: ...so you would fit in with your two, uh, opponents.

Mike: There's time before the second round.

Alex: Oh, yes. indeed. Now is it true that when you were a kid, you thought that I was the guy on the penny?

Mike: On the penny, yeah. I, uh...

[Laughter]

Mike: 'Cause when I was a kid, it was the local news and then the nightly news and then you, and I assumed that it was just kind of the--the cherry on top of the cake. I thought you were the most important guy in the world. I still do!

[Laughter]

Alex: Sam Stubblefield is a pediatrician from Delaware. He is our champion. And he did something that I can relate to because I've been there. You swam to Zambia.

Sam: Oh, yeah.

Alex: Not the whole way.

Sam: No.

[Chuckles]

Sam: We, uh, we were doing some white water rafting on the Zambezi. And our guide got a little bit adventurous and flip goes the boat, out go the people. And Zambia was a little bit closer than Zimbabwe, and so I went to Zambia.

Alex: Good for you.

[Laughs]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TIME CAPSULES $800: At Flushing Meadows in this New York City borough, the Westinghouse Time Capsule is set to open in the year 6939; we won't be around

THE URGE TO MERGE $200: This 14th state had previously been a republic called New Connecticut
(Sam: What is Rhode Island?)

2-WORD RHYMING PHRASES $800: Style of blues music heard here

2-WORD RHYMING PHRASES $1000: In Southern California, June Gloom is typically preceded by this month of similar weather

TEXTING ACRONYMS $1000: YOYO:
I'm out of here, so...

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mike: $6,200
Sam: $5,400
Ken: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION (4/4)
IT WILL BE OVER IN A YEAR (3/5)
THAT'S LUNAR SEA! (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"L" OF A CATEGORY (5/5)
GOTHIC LITERATURE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP CULTURE FROM BARTLETT SHER (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Ken: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Sam had $5,400, Mike had $7,000, and Ken was at $2,200. Mike wagered $3,000.

GOTHIC LITERATURE $800: Lady Caroline Lamb featured a version of this ex-lover in her Gothic novel "Glenarvon", calling him Ruthven
(Mike: Who is Bram Stoker?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Sam had $10,200, Mike had $7,600, and Ken was at $2,200. Sam wagered $3,400.

THAT'S LUNAR SEA! $2000: A current off the west coast of South America on earth & a sea on the moon share this man's name
(Sam: Who is Galileo?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT WILL BE OVER IN A YEAR $800: He became a king on Jan, 20, 1936 but was a non-king by Dec. 10

IT WILL BE OVER IN A YEAR $2000: In the book "The Year of Magical Thinking", she examined the aftermath of losing hubby John Gregory Dunne

POP CULTURE FROM BARTLETT SHER $800: Prior to teaching a thing or 2 on "Glee", this alliterative actor was a Marine in Sher's revival of "South Pacific"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $15,600
Sam: $10,400
Ken: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Mike: Wager $5,200 for the tie. Sam has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Sam: Normally in this scenario you would wager all or nothing, but in this case a $0 wager isn't an optimal option because it doesn't cover Ken's doubled score. Wager all $10,400.
Ken: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $2,601 and $7,799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Although it's a statue of a giant's foe, an observer who saw its 1504 unveiling called it "the marble giant"

FINAL SCORES
Ken: $7,800 + $7,799 = $15,599 (What is David) (3rd place)
Sam: $10,400 + $10,241 = $20,641 (Waht is David) (2nd place)
Mike: $15,600 + $5,201 = $20,801 (What is David?) (New champion: $20,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $18,600, 22 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: $13,800, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ken: $7,200, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Mike: 23/59 = .390
Sam: 17/59 = .288
Ken: 11/59 = .186
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TIME CAPSULES $1000: The "Crypt of Civilization" at this u. named for Georgia's founder was sealed in 1940, to be opened in 8113
[Alex reads "u." as "university".]

THE URGE TO MERGE $800: Prussia once owned part of the Moresnet Region, since just after WWI, it's been part of Wallonia in this country
(Ken: What is Poland?)

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Here's the Electoral College victory of this man; the only state he lost was Minnesota, by the slim margin of 49.72% to 49.54%

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION $1200: There were 235 Electoral College votes to be had in 1820; he got 231
(Sam: Who was Jackson?)
((Ken: Who was Adams?)

THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Here is the schooling this Democrat gave Alf Landon in the Electoral College

"L" OF A CATEGORY $1600: A certified competitive swimming pool has 8
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

POP CULTURE FROM BARTLETT SHER $1200: Luckily, this actor didn't turn into an enormous green rage monster during Bartlett's "Awake and Sing!" in 2006

"L" OF A CATEGORY $2000: It's a melodic phrase associated with one character in an opera
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
"They killed Kenny!"
Queens
Vermont
boogie-woogie
May Gray
you're on your own
Lord Byron
Alexander von Humboldt
Edward VIII (the Duke of Windsor)
Joan Didion
Matthew Morrison
David (Michelangelo's statue)
Oglethorpe
Belgium
(Ronald) Reagan
Monroe
FDR (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)
lanes
Mark Ruffalo
a leitmotif
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Art History

Although it's a statue of a giant's foe, an observer who saw its 1504 unveiling called it "the marble giant".
Spoiler
What is David (Michelangelo)?
Ken Hill: $7,800+$7,799=$15,599

Sam Stubblefield: $10,400+$10,241=$20,641

Mike Barrett: $15,600+$5,201= now a 1-day cahmpion with $20,801
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Heard a fellow Capital Regioner is on tonight and wanted to send some retroactive good luck.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Strangely, $200 was my only miss in Bartlett's. I also couldn't connect Eroica to Beethoven at $200, and after I got the next two, I blanked on both Copeland and Dvorak.

Ran Texting and 2-Word Rhyming Phrases.

Lach Trash: boogie-woogie, May gray, You're on your own.

Gothic Literature was miles over my head.

WLT Reagan on Presidential Election for $800? That one of those "you had to be there" clues?

Another "all but the first one" for me in "L", because I have never heard "take the law into your own hands" and forgot what "vigilante" meant.

FJ! category left me with no hope, but "giant's foe" led me to David without hesitation.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Mike on his win. I had 36 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Queens and boogie woogie. I also got the missed DD of Humboldt, and I got FJ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Good game albeit with an easy FJ (which was an instaget for me). The new champ had some good gets.

LT with Queens (I've been to that time capsule), Vermont, Edward VIII, and the DD of Humboldt.

I thought the $800 Lord Byron DD was tough for its dollar level, and conversely that Dukakis was overvalued at $2,000.

In the 2-word rhyming phrases category, for the clue that asked for a film appealing primarily to women, I said "rom com" for "chick flick." Judges? Is the fact that "rom" and "com" aren't actually words fatal to my case? :)

Today we had yet another FJ wagering scenario where the 2 leading contestants would have had an incentive to wager for a tie before the unfortunate rules change banning ties.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Is it just not known outside of NY/NJ that Forest Hills = Queens? It's the home of Spider-Man!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
WLT Reagan on Presidential Election for $800? That one of those "you had to be there" clues?
No historical clue is a "you had to be there" clue. WLT Reagan was that in his landslide re-election victory in 1984, his opponent was Walter Mondale, who only managed to win his home state of Minnesota (as well as the District of Columbia). As Presidential landslide victories go, it's right up there with Nixon winning 49 states against McGovern in 1972, and FDR's victory over Alf Landon in 1936 that was also asked about in tonight's category (FDR got a higher percentage of electoral votes in that election, although he lost two states).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

MitchO wrote:Is it just not known outside of NY/NJ that Forest Hills = Queens? It's the home of Spider-Man!
As the clue indicated, the time capsule from the 1939 World's Fair is in Flushing Meadows, not Forest Hills.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MitchO wrote:Is it just not known outside of NY/NJ that Forest Hills = Queens? It's the home of Spider-Man!
Alternatively, the U.S. Open tennis tournament was held in Forest Hills until moving a few blocks away to Flushing Meadows in the late 1970s. The old tennis stadium is now used for rock concerts.

Anyway, Mike's pronunciation on a few of his responses annoyed me. Tan-zayn-ia? Mark Roof-alo?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

hbomb1947 wrote:
As the clue indicated, the time capsule from the 1939 World's Fair is in Flushing Meadows, not Forest Hills.
I mixed up my "I thought that was obvious" Queens references, sorry.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

hbomb1947 wrote:Good game albeit with an easy FJ (which was an instaget for me). The new champ had some good gets.

LT with Queens (I've been to that time capsule), Vermont, Edward VIII, and the DD of Humboldt.

I thought the $800 Lord Byron DD was tough for its dollar level, and conversely that Dukakis was overvalued at $2,000.

In the 2-word rhyming phrases category, for the clue that asked for a film appealing primarily to women, I said "rom com" for "chick flick." Judges? Is the fact that "rom" and "com" aren't actually words fatal to my case? :)

Today we had yet another FJ wagering scenario where the 2 leading contestants would have had an incentive to wager for a tie before the unfortunate rules change banning ties.
With both Massachusetts and the year given? Way overvalued!

Today was a theatre-lover's dream, with a whole category on Bartlett Sher and the Joan Didion clue. Vanessa Redgrave did Year of Magical Thinking as a one-woman show several years ago. I got Lord Byron but on sort of a blind guess, thinking of someone gothic who loved the ladies.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

46R instaget FJ; 5/5 in Elections, classical music, 'Lunar "C"'; LT: Edward VIII; Boogie-woogie; Queens. Fun instagets; 14th State = VT; Wallonia > Belgium ("Walloons"); get, MDD "Humboldt Current."
NB Oglethorpe is on a comeback; Horace Walpole's Castle of Otranto is a core know that comes around infrequently but worth having in hip pocket! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hbomb1947 wrote:Today we had yet another FJ wagering scenario where the 2 leading contestants would have had an incentive to wager for a tie before the unfortunate rules change banning ties.
Also, Ken would have been in contention for a three-way tie if he went all in. In spite of the No-Ties rule, Sam and Ken both fumbled their wagers.
Sam could have either wagered to cover Ken's doubled score (5201) or wagered zero, to win by a buck on a TS.
In Ken's case, It's one of those rare occasions where holding back the extra dollar was only going to cost him a chance to tie the leader, however unlikely it was to see a zero wager from him. Ken could have also tried wagering 2600 for a chance at a tie-breaker with Sam in case Sam bets zero, but still salvage 2nd place on a TS (if Sam wagers 5201).
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Today we had yet another FJ wagering scenario where the 2 leading contestants would have had an incentive to wager for a tie before the unfortunate rules change banning ties.
Also, Ken would have been in contention for a three-way tie if he went all in. In spite of the No-Ties rule, Sam and Ken both fumbled their wagers.
Sam could have either wagered to cover Ken's doubled score (5201) or wagered zero, to win by a buck on a TS.
In Ken's case, It's one of those rare occasions where holding back the extra dollar was only going to cost him a chance to tie the leader, however unlikely it was to see a zero wager from him. Ken could have also tried wagering 2600 for a chance at a tie-breaker with Sam in case Sam bets zero, but still salvage 2nd place on a TS (if Sam wagers 5201).
Sam was in Stratton's dilemma. If he doesn't bet zero (assuming that Mike makes the expected cover bet), then he has to get FJ right to have a chance to win and he might as well go all-in to maximize his potential winnings (unless he cares about the difference between second and third).

A three-way tie was never a realistic scenario. No way Mike was going to bet zero, and no way Sam was going to wager 5200.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This week, with the exception of Monday, has been pretty repetitive thus far. Guy comes to the show and pulls off a very good, solid win, and then loses the following day despite (nearly) doubling up. We'll see if it hits Mike tomorrow, too.
Ursa Minor
Contributor

Post by Ursa Minor »

hbomb1947 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
No historical clue is a "you had to be there" clue. WLT Reagan was that in his landslide re-election victory in 1984, his opponent was Walter Mondale, who only managed to win his home state of Minnesota (as well as the District of Columbia). As Presidential landslide victories go, it's right up there with Nixon winning 49 states against McGovern in 1972, and FDR's victory over Alf Landon in 1936 that was also asked about in tonight's category (FDR got a higher percentage of electoral votes in that election, although he lost two states).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sam was in Stratton's dilemma. If he doesn't bet zero, then he has to get FJ right to have a chance to win and he might as well go all-in to maximize his potential winnings (unless he cares about the difference between second and third).

A three-way tie was never a realistic scenario. No way Mike was going to bet zero, and no way Sam was going to wager 5200.
This is all true, but it was still a rare anomaly for third place to have exactly 1/2 of the leader's score at the same time second place is exactly 2/3 to the leader.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

This was a rare game where I found the DJ round easier than the J round. Going into DJ, I was a distant fourth (a few wrong answers in the first round) but I gained steadily in the second round, sweeping two categories and went into FJ with a lead. (Of course, had I actually been playing for real, it's unlikely I would have been able to ring in and attempt all the ones I knew in DJ). However, art history is a weak personal category and I opted to wager nothing and finished in third place. Ironically, I did get FJ correct.