Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Strangely, $200 was my only miss in Bartlett's. I also couldn't connect Eroica to Beethoven at $200, and after I got the next two, I blanked on both Copeland and Dvorak.
Despite what the closed captioner said, it's "Copland". It really bugs me when they do that.
Captioners usually work in real time, you know. They don't have time to check spellings.

I'm predicting this FJ polls at 90%+.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vermonter wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:That was a great FJ! clue. For the leader and those playing along at home. For 2nd place? It sucks. The category's bite was not as bad as its bark.
Kids Week level material has no place deciding a match.
Ah but they didn't know it would be a match deciding clue and not a runaway game when they wrote it. (I know, then why have Kids Week level FJs at all in that case. I won't argue you there.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Captioners usually work in real time, you know. They don't have time to check spellings.
The J! captioners don't work in real time. Speaking as someone who goes through the entire closed caption stream each night with a fine-tooth comb, I feel confident in saying that they usually do very well with spellings and other orthographical features, often demonstrating knowledge that they likely couldn't have had without looking something up, or working from provided source material. I believe--without certainty--that they are given materials from the show and also frequently Google stuff when they aren't sure. OTOH, they've been getting a little sloppy lately. In the past couple days they misspelled Experian ("Experion") and Kirsten Gillibrand ("Kristen"). Still, if they were working in real time, the J! CC transcript would be an incomprehensible mess, which it isn't. This show is way too sophisticated, and presents material way too varied, for an average person to get all the response spellings as accurate as they are.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:That was a great FJ! clue. For the leader and those playing along at home. For 2nd place? It sucks. The category's bite was not as bad as its bark.
Ah but they didn't know it would be a match deciding clue and not a runaway game when they wrote it. (I know, then why have Kids Week level FJs at all in that case. I won't argue you there.)
I don't mind seeing a mix of FJ difficulty levels over time. Sometimes the FJ should be easy, to reward the person who finished in the lead after DJ (especially if it's a 2/3 game). Other times, it should be difficult, so as to challenge the wagering strategy of the trailing players (as well as to put more of a premium on knowledge base). Plus, they need to throw some cupcake FJ's in there for the benefit of the casual viewers at home, so that those viewers can have the satisfaction of solving them.

P.S. The judges were generous in just accepting "David," since the clue referred to Michelangelo's sculpture but the Renaissance-era sculptor Donatello also crafted two David sculptures (one in marble, one in bronze). My response was "What is Michelangelo's David?" Of course, if the instructions had specified that the contestants needed to write the artist as well as the name of the work, it wouldn't have made the clue any less easy-peasy.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For a taped show like Jeopardy! they obviously don't need to caption in real time, but I also have a feeling they aren't paying the captioner enough to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, either. My guess is the captioner captions the entire show in real time first and then goes back and checks any spellings they weren't sure about.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Only marginally off topic: Mike is the third contestant (I know of) in 7 months to be associated with Troy, NY. He and I both grew up there, and a woman who was on in June lives there now. Troy has a population of around 50,000, so this seems pretty remarkable to me.

(Hi Mike! Welcome to JBoard.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lach Trash: boogie-woogie, May gray, You're on your own.
Nice pickups. How many of you boardies got "May gray" even though you'd never heard it before? Would you have known "June gloom" if they'd asked for it (say, in a category called NOT QUITE RHYME TIME)?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Nice pickups. How many of you boardies got "May gray" even though you'd never heard it before? Would you have known "June gloom" if they'd asked for it (say, in a category called NOT QUITE RHYME TIME)?
I'd know June gloom. Never heard of May grey before this.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Knew June gloom, but not May gray. In the moment, I couldn't even pull anything together.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Thursday night football has been making the local affiliate move J! from 7:30 to 7:00 (and presumably bumping Wheel altogether), but I have learned to deal with it and tune in early one day a week. For tonight's game they moved it completely off the schedule so that we could be treated (?) to ninety minutes of pregame crap about the Browns-Bengals game.

Like it's not bad enough that football fans have been subjected to the worst excuse for football anywhere in America. Now we miss J! to hear Browns pregame? Groan.

PS Bengals own the second half to win 31-10 and remain undefeated. Browns drop to 2-7 and seem incapable of doing anything right. Poop.

Instaget FJ off the board.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:For a taped show like Jeopardy! they obviously don't need to caption in real time, but I also have a feeling they aren't paying the captioner enough to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, either. My guess is the captioner captions the entire show in real time first and then goes back and checks any spellings they weren't sure about.
This debate would best be settled by trainman. He revealed in a somewhat recent Jeopardy Live Panel (that dealt with Matt's infamous $5/$5000 DD wager) that not only is/was he a closed captioner, but he also did closed captioning for J! for a time and can probably settle this once and for all.

Paging trainman ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
I don't mind seeing a mix of FJ difficulty levels over time. Sometimes the FJ should be easy, to reward the person who finished in the lead after DJ (especially if it's a 2/3 game). Other times, it should be difficult, so as to challenge the wagering strategy of the trailing players (as well as to put more of a premium on knowledge base). Plus, they need to throw some cupcake FJ's in there for the benefit of the casual viewers at home, so that those viewers can have the satisfaction of solving them.
I'm OK with the fact that variations in difficulty are unavoidable, but I think that the writers should strive for a clue of roughly equal difficulty each night. FJ! is too consequential to be capricious with it.
opusthepenguin wrote:
I had never heard of either of these before, but I got "May gray." Methinks "June gloom" would've been a bit tougher.
Sprinkles are for winners.
lorimendenhall
Contributor

Post by lorimendenhall »

I live in SoCal and "June Gloom" is frequently used but I've never heard an utterance of "May Gray". FJ super easy but like someone else said, I think it's ok to vary the FJ difficulty level.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had never heard of June gloom before either, but I figured "gray" was the only word rhyming with "May" that could describe bad weather.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I had never heard of June gloom or May gray. But maybe that's just my East Coast bias. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mikeyb wrote:I got Lord Byron but on sort of a blind guess, thinking of someone gothic who loved the ladies.
Same here. I laughed out loud when it turned out to be correct. That was a vicious DD. Thanks to Winchell Factor for the anecdotal mnemonic.

The contestant's guess of Bram Stoker wasn't half bad. (Although he did say "Brahm" Stoker, so that's one more for the list on his odd pronunciations.) I wouldn't have gone with Stoker even if I'd thought of him because I figured he was from a later period than Lady Caroline Lamb. That's because I thought she was Charles Lamb's wife. Turns out she was married to William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, usually addressed as Lord Melbourne, PC FRS. (Hence the "Lady"[*]). Charles and William were contemporaries, so I turned out to be accidentally right. Yet another example of "justified true belief" being an insufficient definition for "knowledge".

[*] Whoops. Not so fast. She was already Lady Caroline when she married Lord Melbourne. Justified true belief =/= knowledge strikes again.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeopardymike wrote:It's very strange to me how angry people are getting about the arms. We all had a very good laugh about it while we were watching the show, though.
Welcome to JBoard! Congrats on winning against tough competitors.

I noticed the crossed arms thing, but it didn't bug me. Ditto the mispronunciations. I learn a lot of stuff from reading that I wouldn't know how to pronounce. I wish I could think of examples, but I know I've seen clues where I would deliberately mispronounce my response. There are things where I'm pretty sure I know the correct pronunciation; but if I'm wrong, Alex will rule against me. If I just go the phonetic route, he'll correct me but at least I'll be right.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

lorimendenhall wrote:I live in SoCal and "June Gloom" is frequently used but I've never heard an utterance of "May Gray"...
I also live in SoCal (born and raised) and May Gray has been a "thing" for many years.
June Gloom is a much older term and I recall hearing that for as long as I can remember, but May Gray (the phrase) has been around the last 10-years or so...
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Picked Off wrote:Heard a fellow Capital Regioner is on tonight and wanted to send some retroactive good luck.
Missed this earlier. Crazy amount of Rensselaer County-ers in recent years!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeopardymike wrote:It's very strange to me how angry people are getting about the arms. We all had a very good laugh about it while we were watching the show, though.
I made an avatar for you. If you want, you can go into User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Avatar and use it on JBoard.

That way we'll all recognize you.