Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7165, 2015-11-06

WE ASKED: TV creator Vince Gilligan.

CONTESTANTS
Sadie Iverson, a graduate student from Ventura, California
Laura Ashby, an attorney from Marietta, Georgia
Mike Barrett, a cashier and writer from Medford, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good news and bad news for the winner of today's program. The good news is that you get to come back as returning champion. The bad news is you have to wait two weeks because we have our Tournament of Champions starting next week. Mike is the champ. Laura and Sadie are the challengers. I wish you all good luck, and I put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. You wanna do well with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK (3/5)
ONE DIRECTION (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IN SINK (4/5)
BIG TIME RUSH (2/3)
NEW EDITION (5/5)
"BOY" BANDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Laura: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sadie: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mike had $1,800, Laura was scoreless, and Sadie was at $1,000. Mike made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

ONE DIRECTION $1000: Willem Barents sailed in this direction from Amsterdam to the Barents Sea; he was looking for this passage
(Mike: What is northwest?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sadie: $1,800
Mike: $400
Laura: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: This past summer, I had a marvelous vacation in the Canadian Arctic and Greenland. Now, Sadie Iverson, you traveled to the Alaskan Arctic on business?

Sadie: That's right. Um, uh, for my graduate work, I work in ecology, and so I work in the Alaskan Arctic on the tundra. There's permafrost underneath my site, lots of wildlife.

Alex: Now no trees--that was the thing that caught my attention immediately when you get north of the Arctic Circle. No trees whatsoever, but a lot of tiny plants.

Sadie: Yes, and some of them are even things that we'd usually think of as trees. Like I've seen willows this tall...

Alex: Yes.

Sadie: ...with buds on them.

Alex: Yes, it's the length of a match stick.

Sadie: Yes.

Alex: All right. Exciting stuff.

Alex: Laura Ashby is an attorney from Georgia and a published playwright.

Laura: Yes. In high school, I wrote a rock musical that was actually performed by my high school and then later went on to be published. It was very loosely based on Much Ado About Nothing, but had a lot of rock 'n' roll music, and, uh...

Alex: Make any money out of it?

Laura: Uh, like a couple of bucks here and there, but it's neat. I'll see some school in Florida has put it on, and then, uh--

Alex: Oh, that's wonderful. Okay, good for you.

Alex: Our champion is Mike Barrett. He's a cashier and writer from Medford, Massachusetts, who writes also, but novels. What kind of novels are we talking about?

Mike: Mostly romance.

Alex: Oh, hello.

Mike: I had a--a friend and I would joke in college that if we ever needed the money, we should start writing romance novels, and then we found ourselves both out of a job at the same time. We were like, "Seems like the time to start." Yeah.

Alex: You wrote a romance novel?

[Laughs]

Alex: Are they period pieces or contemporary?

Mike: Uh, contemporary.

Alex: Yeah?

Mike: Yeah.

Alex: Lot of sex and a lot of...

Mike: My grandmother's gonna be watching, Alex.

Alex: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: You don't know everything there is to know about your grandmother.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"BOY" BANDS $600: This British duo revived the career of Dusty Springfield when she joined them on "What Have I Done To Deserve This?"

ONE DIRECTION $800: Direction on a map from Iran to Iraq, or proverbial direction to find the indie stations on the radio dial
(Sadie: What is northeast?)

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK $200: In 2013, Anthony Foxx got this job in Obama's cabinet

IN SINK $1000: Food residue in the enameled cast-iron cookware from this brand whose name is French for "cauldron"; it's okay to let it soak
(Mike: What is Crock-Pot?)

NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK $1000: In 2015 Christian Thielemann got the new job of music director at this festival, a shrine to Wagner

BIG TIME RUSH $1000: Discovery of the "Eureka" diamond began the 1870s rush to this South African mining town bearing a feminine name
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Laura: $2,800
Sadie: $2,600
Mike: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Children's Lit

As she arrived at the house of her new employer, "the wind seemed to catch her up into the air and fling her" at the door.
Spoiler
Who is Mary Poppins?
Sadie Iverson: $2,400+$2,400=$4,800

Mike Barrett: $9,200+6,601=$15,801

Laura Ashby: $15,800+$2,601=now a 1-day champion with $18,401
Last edited by theFJguy on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

And a Kid's Week FJ to end the week.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Strange...I was waiting for FJ and instead it was Children's Lit for $200. Probably a glitch.

Bring on the TOC.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Sadie looked very nervous at the beginning and I'm sure everyone's very happy (if Twitter is any indication) that Lauraaaaaa will be returniiiiiiing in two weeeeeeks.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Laura on her win. I had 37 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Pet Shop Boys, Secretary of Transportation, Kimberley, Barcelona, and crystal. Instaget FJ; I got it before Alex finished reading the clue.
Golf

Post by Golf »

What a hilarious endgame by the challengers, two categories and two DD's left. Naturally the challenger picks one of the two clues guaranteed not to hold a DD. Then upon finding a DD eventual champ makes a wager that accomplishes nothing on a bottom row clue. Immediately after, she chooses the only clue that cannot hold a DD. Then, after (mercifully) searching for and finding the last DD, contestant makes a wager that (basically) guarantees no chance of being in the lead going into FJ if correct, and certainly has no chance of winning if wrong.

It's been quite a while with an endgame containing so many binary decisions, and each and every one of them was wrong. Ugh.

Yes, bring on two weeks of superior game play. Please.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The game didn't go that well for me. Missed FJ too.

Bring on Monday.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget Kiddy Lit Kiddy Klue. 50R, LT: Kimberly diamond mine, Bayreuth film fest IAW Wagner; Secretary Transportation; crystal lattice; Coco Chanel;
Antoni Gaudi ("God's architect") > Barcelona (Sagrada Familia); he has seven works designated UNESCO World Heritage Sites!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

So, Mike has writen some contemporary romance novels. Does this just beg the question: is there a lot of sex in them?
Stay classy, Alex.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Kids (2), One (2), Sink (0), Rush (1), New (5), "Boy" (5)
Women (4), Europe (3), "UV" (1), Bible (1), Gems (0), Real (5)

Lach Trash: "Pet Shop Boys", "4th", "Coco Chanel", "Barcelona"

Instaget FJ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Another very easy FJ, so I finish the week a perfect 4-0 (throwing out the defective clue from Wednesday's episode). Children's lit is not generally a strong category for me, but to paraphrase Mark Barrett from his post in yesterday's game thread, the bark of the category exceeded its bite.

I picked up LT with Bayreuth, Kimberley, 4th (for Book of Numbers), Coco Chanel, Barcelona, and the aquamarine DD.

Kind of a boring game with contestants just blandly going from top to bottom even when they could have used a DD. Looking forward to the TOC!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

FJ:
Spoiler
Image :roll:
At least I didn't miss (or never get a chance to know if I would have figured out) all the Kids' Week FJs this week.

And of course I knew Pet Shop Boys (among lots of other LT). I'd have had to yell at myself on Twitter if I didn't.
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

At least I can take a day off of watching after the ToC and not feel guilty about it.

Super anoyyiiiiiiiiiiing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Since her voice annoys a bunch of people, I hope she wins a bunch of games so they will continue to be annoyed.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This has to go down in history as my most embarrassing FJ miss ever.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I hope to live to see the day when someone who hasn't ever heard it said out loud pronounces "Bayreuth" as "Beirut" and the judges have to decide whether to accept it. (During my brief Quiz Bowl career, I always hoped to hear a moderator say "Malcolm the tenth". Apparently, I need to get out more.)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

bpmod wrote:This has to go down in history as my most embarrassing FJ miss ever.
I didn't even know the correct response was based on a book. I said "Dorothy," thinking that there was child labor in Kansas. Whoops.
I had $25,000 ($27,000 without negs) and 33 R/ 2 W. Trash: Bayreuth, Barcelona, and... how in the world was "4" (for Numbers) a triple stumper?! That's almost as bad as everyone on the one Celebrity episode last year missing "Genesis" when given "first book of the Bible."
Hoping for a third lap
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I missed the first round. Where is the new champ from? She seemed to have an inflection in her voice that I've only heard once before, from a female friend who grew up in Nashville. It sounded like she would drag the exhalation of the final sound on many of the words, like "Two Hundredddddddddddddddd?", almost in that "answering a question with a question" tone. It just struck me.

I swear, I think they group easy FJs and impossible FJs in bunches so that they're in streaks.