Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7887
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Vanya wrote:
MitchO wrote:Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

(I'm disappointed, but not at all surprised, that a group of intelligent people this diverse would eventually fall into a political conversation. Today is Election Day in the US. The Election Day ONE YEAR BEFORE THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS. Please try to not make it unbearable to read this [or other] threads in the next year, folks)
And we may soon have a First Philanderer. What fun!
maybe he'll die before she takes office if you hope really hard
For that, you have to catch Tinkerbell, pull her wings off, and blow the wings out of your hand with your eyes closed while making a wish. This can only happen once, so don't waste your wish and don't screw it up.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7255
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Anybody notice anything wrong?

Image

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4295
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof »

Apart from the misspelling of phony?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7255
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:Apart from the misspelling of phony?
That's what I meant. But I looked it up, and 'phoney' appears to be an acceptable variation, much to my surprise (and chagrin, since I pointed it out to the cartoonist).

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by trainman »

Wiley used to require that, in the colorized versions of his daily strips, only the dialogue balloons be colored -- which really made them stand out on an all-colorized daily comics page.

Image

(Looks like the switchover to full color happened around the end of 2008.)

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11365
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

I meant to post it earlier today when I read it in a newspaper and just now remembered:

Nov. 4th is the 54th birthday for both Jeff Probst and Ralph Macchio. They would both get the prize at the carnival game when the guesser went too low. Even with the park's "advantage" of plus/minus 2 or whatever it is these days.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11365
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

In the Jeopardy! Store in the comments for the t-shirt: http://store.jeopardy.com/jeopardy-t-sh ... =117536063

was a post by a Bruce Weinstein that his wife Kristen Bancroft will be a contestant. He seems to have a certain amount of fame according to this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Weinstein

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10110
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman »

Is it ethical to use another company's website for a personal announcement?

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote:Is it ethical to use another company's website for a personal announcement?
Classless, maybe, but not unethical, unless he stands to gain from it.

I watched his CNN quiz, and I would define ethics much more narrowly. Fairness, compassion, and hurting someone's feelings have nothing to do with ethics, imo.

User avatar
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Budphrey »

alietr wrote:Anybody notice anything wrong?

Image
Yes. "For" in the colloquial phrase "for free" is superfluous. AP style would demand saying "I've been doing it free all this time!" Are you sorry you asked?
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Vanya »

I don't want my pot to be upset, thank you very much:

"... the tribe was destroying its existing crop and temporarily suspending its marijuana cultivation and disturbing facilities."

http://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-south-dako ... 22295.html

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bpmod »

Unfortunately, Wikipedia is not the only site on the internet that makes stuff up.

I have recently learned of a new box set by Bruce Springsteen set for release next month. So I googled to see if I could purchase it anywhere. I landed here first and found the following:
‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is packaged in a 10” x 12” box with a hardcover 148-page coffee table book containing 200 studio and live photographs — most of which have never been seen before — plus pages from Springsteen’s notebooks, single covers, images and outtakes from the original album package, and other memorabilia documenting the album.

‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is available for pre-order at Amazon (4CD/3DVDs or 4CD/2Blu-ray) and iTunes.
If anybody knows where this can actually be purchased from a reputable source, let me know.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11365
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:Unfortunately, Wikipedia is not the only site on the internet that makes stuff up.

I have recently learned of a new box set by Bruce Springsteen set for release next month. So I googled to see if I could purchase it anywhere. I landed here first and found the following:
‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is packaged in a 10” x 12” box with a hardcover 148-page coffee table book containing 200 studio and live photographs — most of which have never been seen before — plus pages from Springsteen’s notebooks, single covers, images and outtakes from the original album package, and other memorabilia documenting the album.

‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is available for pre-order at Amazon (4CD/3DVDs or 4CD/2Blu-ray) and iTunes.
If anybody knows where this can actually be purchased from a reputable source, let me know.

Brian
Amazon Canada and Amazon U.S. each have both versions of it for pre-order coming out on Dec. 4. The price could go down by release day. Do you have a problem with Amazon or am I missing something? You want to somehow get it before it comes out?

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:Amazon Canada and Amazon U.S. each have both versions of it for pre-order coming out on Dec. 4. The price could go down by release day. Do you have a problem with Amazon or am I missing something? You want to somehow get it before it comes out?
Yes. I thought my problem with Amazon was well-documented here. Several years ago they stole my money so I don't intend to ever deal with them again.

I don't want it before it comes out (well, I would, but that's asking too much), but a pre-order is what I was hoping to do.

I don't know why Springsteen's website would claim that it is for sale at iTunes, when iTunes doesn't carry any product. As far as I know, they never have and I highly doubt they ever will. But, of course, I have no way of finding out for sure because when I go to their site, it wouldn't (even if I wanted to) allow me to purchase anything, not even a substandard download. I just get a big message across the top saying that they couldn't find iTunes on my computer. Boy, I wish I could get away with that kind of business model.

It seems weird that Columbia records would offer only one channel for purchase. Are Amazon and Columbia related somehow?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11365
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Amazon Canada and Amazon U.S. each have both versions of it for pre-order coming out on Dec. 4. The price could go down by release day. Do you have a problem with Amazon or am I missing something? You want to somehow get it before it comes out?
Yes. I thought my problem with Amazon was well-documented here. Several years ago they stole my money so I don't intend to ever deal with them again.

I don't want it before it comes out (well, I would, but that's asking too much), but a pre-order is what I was hoping to do.

I don't know why Springsteen's website would claim that it is for sale at iTunes, when iTunes doesn't carry any product. As far as I know, they never have and I highly doubt they ever will. But, of course, I have no way of finding out for sure because when I go to their site, it wouldn't (even if I wanted to) allow me to purchase anything, not even a substandard download. I just get a big message across the top saying that they couldn't find iTunes on my computer. Boy, I wish I could get away with that kind of business model.

It seems weird that Columbia records would offer only one channel for purchase. Are Amazon and Columbia related somehow?

Brian
Okay, Amazon out, fine. I can see it available for preorder on walmart.com and bestbuy.com. On iTunes it's available for preorder, but I could not find details to figure out what you would get. Perhaps mp4 only and some kind of computer download as well for the visual materials? I don't have enough experience at that site to know how it might work.

I get the impression it will be a widely available on the release day and you could walk into your store of choice that sells music to insure you walk out with the product. Good luck.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2134
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

bpmod wrote:Unfortunately, Wikipedia is not the only site on the internet that makes stuff up.

I have recently learned of a new box set by Bruce Springsteen set for release next month. So I googled to see if I could purchase it anywhere. I landed here first and found the following:
‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is packaged in a 10” x 12” box with a hardcover 148-page coffee table book containing 200 studio and live photographs — most of which have never been seen before — plus pages from Springsteen’s notebooks, single covers, images and outtakes from the original album package, and other memorabilia documenting the album.

‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is available for pre-order at Amazon (4CD/3DVDs or 4CD/2Blu-ray) and iTunes.
If anybody knows where this can actually be purchased from a reputable source, let me know.

Brian
barnesandnoble.com has the DVD edition available for pre-order. Whether they also will have the Blu-Ray, I do not know.
MarkBarrett wrote:I get the impression it will be a widely available on the release day and you could walk into your store of choice that sells music to insure you walk out with the product. Good luck.
This.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7326
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I get the impression it will be a widely available on the release day and you could walk into your store of choice that sells music to insure you walk out with the product. Good luck.
This.
I thought the same regarding the My Fair Lady 50th Blu-Ray...Best Buy didn't have it in stock within 250 miles of me...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Secret of Kells (10), Warcraft (7), What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10)

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2100
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I get the impression it will be a widely available on the release day and you could walk into your store of choice that sells music to insure you walk out with the product. Good luck.
This.
I thought the same regarding the My Fair Lady 50th Blu-Ray...Best Buy didn't have it in stock within 250 miles of me...
Considering where you live, I'm stunned. Simply stunned.

Could you order it online for store pick-up?
OCSam

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7326
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Volante wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I get the impression it will be a widely available on the release day and you could walk into your store of choice that sells music to insure you walk out with the product. Good luck.
This.
I thought the same regarding the My Fair Lady 50th Blu-Ray...Best Buy didn't have it in stock within 250 miles of me...
Considering where you live, I'm stunned. Simply stunned.

Could you order it online for store pick-up?
Well, yeah, but that would've required going back out there...i just had it shipped home at that point.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Secret of Kells (10), Warcraft (7), What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10)

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bpmod »

I have discovered many times just how hard it is to find things in stock at an actual brick-and-mortar retail location. I have been fairly adept at finding things on eBay, but this item seems to go for much more there than I would like to pay.

But my original point, further clarified (I thought) in my second post on the subject, was: Why would they indicate that iTunes would be the place to purchase an item of this description, when iTunes carries nothing of the type?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Post Reply