Wednesday, November 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7168, 2015-11-11

2015 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 3.

WE ASKED: Actor Eric Stonestreet

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Giles, a third grade teacher from Longmont, Colorado
John Schultz, a computer programmer from Ann Arbor, Michigan
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C.

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to the third of our quarterfinal matches. The winners this week get to come back next week as semifinalists. And remember, there are also those four spots available to the high scorers among non-winners. Matt, John, and Jennifer, good to see you again. And good luck. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRESIDENTS BY WON-LOST RECORD (5/5)
FASHION (4/5)
IT BORDERS CHINA (5/5)
TECHNOLOGY MILESTONES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
F-STOP (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with the letter "F".)
VETERANS (5/5) (Eric Stonestreet: I'm Eric Stonestreet of Modern Family here to present [*], a category honoring service men and women on this Veterans Day.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 16 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
John: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jennifer: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Matt had $3,200, John had $2,400, and Jennifer was at $600. John wagered $2,000.

TECHNOLOGY MILESTONES $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Historical Scientific Instruments at Harvard University.) During World War II, computer pioneer Grace Hopper helped maintain the Harvard Mark I & its successor, the Mark II; one day, she removed a moth from the circuits, making her the first to literally do this to a computer

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $5,400
Matt: $3,600
Jennifer: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: After becoming a Jeopardy! champion, Jennifer Giles took some of her money to spend on a great trip, but you also did some pro bono work that I want you to tell the folks about.

Jennifer: Absolutely, well, I, um, I volunteer for a group that is building a school in Nepal. And after the earthquakes hit, they, uh, needed some support. And since the folks that were, um, that are in charge were going the week after, I could literally just give them my check, and they--the money went right there to the village to, um, provide shelter for the villagers.

Alex: Good for you.

Jennifer: Thanks.

Alex: Now what about this holiday? Where'd you go?

Jennifer: I went to Norway.

Alex: Exciting.

Jennifer: Yes, it was.

Alex: Good, okay.

Alex: John Schultz is from Ann Arbor, Michigan. She gave her check away. You got your check in the mail on a very important day in your life.

John: That's right, uh, my wife Elizabeth and I were, uh, we had just come back from the signing. You know, the whole ceremony, the closing of our first house. And we got home to our apartment and the check was in the mail.

Alex: Was all of the money spent on the house? Or did you manage to take a little to perhaps go on a vacation or something?

John: Uh, we haven't spent all of it yet, but, uh, we had a whole house to fill up, you know, after moving out of an apartment.

Alex: Ah.

John: So it's really helped.

Alex: Okay.

John: Just eased that along.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Now Matt Jackson, paralegal, good champion. Won a lot of money. And after you had your first win, you received a special tweet.

Matt: Um, it was actually after my eighth win.

Alex: Oh, sorry.

Matt: Um, but I received a message--or, there was a message posted to the web by one of my theatrical idols, Lin-Manuel Miranda, um, who had heard that I'd been using one of his songs as pump-up music before my run, and was very excited to hear about that.

Alex: That must've made you feel pretty good, too.

Matt: It did.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FASHION $600: Madonna & daughter Lourdes launched a clothing line called this, the name of a 1985 hit by Madonna
(Jennifer: What is Lucky Star?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $8,600
John: $7,600
Jennifer: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Abbreviations

Its meaning as an individual product dates to 1977; its meaning as conforming to orthodox opinion dates to 1986.
Spoiler
What is PC? Jennifer had "idem"; John had no response; Matt had "Trad".
Jennifer Giles: $10,400-$6,600=$3,800

John Schultz: $17,800-$2,800=$15,000

Matt Jackson: $24,900-$2=now a semifinalist with $24,898
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A triple miss on that FJ? Really? I was surprised to see that.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Gosh, this tournament is getting really intense. Much applause to Matt's win as I assumed he would of course, but I gotta give extra props to John and Jennifer for standing their ground so well against him. We'll probably see John in the semifinals, but at this rate it seems like anything could happen. Dan might regret not wagering more now as he's 3rd on the wildcard listings, behind John and Vaughn. I know this is hypothetical, but if Elliot won tomorrow, what if the finals match ended up being between John, Vaughn, and Elliot? It'd be an awkward reunion for Elliot. :P Looking forward to seeing him, Kerry, and Andrew duke it out tomorrow!
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

I got hung upon the word "orthodox" in the clue, and thought they meant it in a strictly religious context, and I couldn't make any sense of that. So I didn't come up with anything.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:A triple miss on that FJ? Really? I was surprised to see that.
I wasn't. I even thought of this FJ! and still ended up with no response.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

That $600 clue in VETERANS was way overvalued. Not only does it ask us to name the president in 1982, but it *pictures* him? A popular recent president?

The $1000 clue was "Got your 6", obvious on retrospect of course given the charitable organization, but would "Got your 6 o'clock" work?

I didn't get Final but it was a good clue. (I WAGged A-1). (Oh and again I said Plutarch instead of Petrach and knew it was wrong as soon as I said it)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

zdude69closedrofl wrote:Gosh, this tournament is getting really intense. Much applause to Matt's win as I assumed he would of course, but I gotta give extra props to John and Jennifer for standing their ground so well against him. We'll probably see John in the semifinals, but at this rate it seems like anything could happen. Dan might regret not wagering more now as he's 3rd on the wildcard listings, behind John and Vaughn. I know this is hypothetical, but if Elliot won tomorrow, what if the finals match ended up being between John, Vaughn, and Elliot? It'd be an awkward reunion for Elliot. :P Looking forward to seeing him, Kerry, and Andrew duke it out tomorrow!
Oh god no...there's no way in the world that it could happen. They would still have to go fight off against Matt Jackson first, as he is the biggest hurdle of the Tournament.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
zdude69closedrofl wrote:Gosh, this tournament is getting really intense. Much applause to Matt's win as I assumed he would of course, but I gotta give extra props to John and Jennifer for standing their ground so well against him. We'll probably see John in the semifinals, but at this rate it seems like anything could happen. Dan might regret not wagering more now as he's 3rd on the wildcard listings, behind John and Vaughn. I know this is hypothetical, but if Elliot won tomorrow, what if the finals match ended up being between John, Vaughn, and Elliot? It'd be an awkward reunion for Elliot. :P Looking forward to seeing him, Kerry, and Andrew duke it out tomorrow!
Oh god no...there's no way in the world that it could happen. They would still have to go fight off against Matt Jackson first, as he is the biggest hurdle of the Tournament.
It's not IMPOSSIBLE, you know. Remember the 2006 TOC where everyone was expecting David Madden to take it all? The finals match ended up being Bill MacDonald and Vik Vaz having a reunion, with Michael Falk being in between them and eventually winning it all. Obviously this is all incredibly unlikely, but anything's possible on this show. That's what I love about it.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

dhkendall wrote:That $600 clue in VETERANS was way overvalued. Not only does it ask us to name the president in 1982, but it *pictures* him? A popular recent president?

The $1000 clue was "Got your 6", obvious on retrospect of course given the charitable organization, but would "Got your 6 o'clock" work?

I didn't get Final but it was a good clue. (I WAGged A-1). (Oh and again I said Plutarch instead of Petra[r]ch and knew it was wrong as soon as I said it)
Haven't seen the show yet (we get it at 7 pacific here), but 1982 was Reagan IIRC, and "popular" and "recent" are NOT two words I would describe him.

Popular maybe, but divided opinion of him nonetheless.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

arjavrawal wrote:
dhkendall wrote:That $600 clue in VETERANS was way overvalued. Not only does it ask us to name the president in 1982, but it *pictures* him? A popular recent president?

I didn't get Final but it was a good clue. (I WAGged A-1). (Oh and again I said Plutarch instead of Petra[r]ch and knew it was wrong as soon as I said it)
Haven't seen the show yet (we get it at 7 pacific here), but 1982 was Reagan IIRC, and "popular" and "recent" are NOT two words I would describe him.

Four presidents ago I would call recent, especially for those of adult J! age. People of your age would consider "recent" differently. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

JonathanHenke wrote:I got hung upon the word "orthodox" in the clue, and thought they meant it in a strictly religious context, and I couldn't make any sense of that. So I didn't come up with anything.
I had the exact same thought process and pretty much the same result. Ended up with "canon" when the music stopped, thinking maybe the camera brand was introduced in 1977, but of course it's not an abbreviation anyway.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:A triple miss on that FJ? Really? I was surprised to see that.
I'm not. I suspect they all started with the product and tried to work their way to the term. Personal computer as a phrase has nothing to do with politically correct, so there's no reason to think they'd make that leap.

Now, if you start with the term and realize they want an abbreviation, "PC" should pop into one's mind readily.

For what it is worth, the show previously went for the origin of "politically incorrect":

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4026
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got FJ right away. The product seemed elusive, so I went for the orthodoxy and it made sense. I agree with the earlier poster who said the photo of Ronald Reagan was unnecessary. That reduced it to kids' week.

What U.S. president said this, and whom was he speaking of? (Searching is cheating.) "I hate that man more than any other who has ever lived."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

arjavrawal wrote:

Well he certainly was more popular than Mondale in 84...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not me. I was as clueless as they were.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was yet another well-played game. I had 36 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Material Girl; and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Instaget FJ.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Good wager from Matt on FJ, the others not so much.

Subject matter doesn't seem as difficult as recent ToC's.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
Not me. I was as clueless as they were.
Me as well.