Wednesday, November 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Another FJ miss here. All I could come up with "Kool-Aid" (as in "drinking the Kool-Aid," a phrase that kinda sorta means conformity to Orthodox opinion if you stretch things a bit), which isn't even an abbreviation and I was sure must have been introduced as a product earlier than 1977. (In fact, it dates back to 1927.)
And "drinking the kool-aid" got it's origins from a 1978 event, so I think it was in use before 1986.

According to wikipedia, although the Jonestown mass suicide occurred in 1978, the first documented use of "drinking the Kool-Aid" (actually, "drank the Kool-Aid" in that particular instance) was made in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

Scary performance by Matt tonight; he was sizzling and his rapid-fire delivery and calls for the next clue seemed to make the game go really fast. John held his own and Jennifer's comeback was impressive against the two of them.

I won't comment on my own personal performance tonight other than it was stinky! I would have been annihilated by Matt Jackson.

Like many of you...I had no response for FJ.

Matt is a hurdle looming large for all other semi-finalists next week. (And I think we actually saw some real, bonafide smiles from him tonight!)
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

dhkendall wrote:Four presidents ago I would call recent, especially for those of adult J! age. People of your age would consider "recent" differently. ;)
Perhaps. Especially when you look at the fact that only about 200 out of something like 1400 (for a middle school! outrageous, right?) know who the current president and/or vice president is/are (most of the people here think it's either Trump, Yeezy, or Hillary).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

You didn't realize how popular President Reagan was so don't pat yourself on the back too much. Everyone has weaknesses.

Anyway, easy game throughout. I don't usually mind when contestants start in the middle of a category but the Triples category showed how that can backfire. I got FJ but I wasn't 100% sure. Nice game by Matt as usual but John was pretty sharp too!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Another FJ miss here. All I could come up with "Kool-Aid" (as in "drinking the Kool-Aid" for a phrase that kinda sorta means conformity to Orthodox opinion if you stretch things a bit), which isn't even an abbreviation and I was sure must have been introduced as a product earlier than 1977. (In fact, it dates back to 1927.)
And "drinking the kool-aid" got it's origins from a 1978 event, so I think it was in use before 1986.
Except that was Flavor Aid.

So much for 'saving the good FJs for the ToC'! :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Volante wrote: So much for 'saving the good FJs for the ToC'! :D
You said it!

I put xerox for fj because, where I come from, pc means having an attitude where you try not to offend anyone, regardless of the orthodoxy of your opinion.
Last edited by chmmr on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

bpmod wrote:
Yup. We get the point. :mrgreen:

Brian
Clearly, I only skimmed the other posts. But I was in the damn studio when that clue went up and discussed with Maggie and Robert afterwards how impossible it was, so I win. :D
Twitter: @jfrumkin
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I blurted out "Borderline" for the Madonna song and as I said it realized I was a year off.

It's refreshing that there are no complaints yet for Eric Stonestreet giving clues unlike so many other guest readers.

Matt contradicted Alex with the 8th win correction and still won the game. If Matt had missed the Petrarch DD I wonder what he would have done in a hypothetical 14700 - 17800 - 10400 scenario. As is I felt 0-101 was the play. $2? Fine.

We can make predictions, assumptions and projections for Matt next week. One thing to take into consideration is the semifinal draw as a strong QF game can have varying rewards. Arthur Chu got Mark Japinga & Rebecca Rider both wildcards while Jason Keller drew QF winners in Keith Whitener and Paul Nelson.

The FJ! clue is exactly the type that has stumped many contestants (and viewers) over the run of the show. An 0/3 no matter the strength of the panel surprises me little. Of course I'm on the side of next to nothing at home on the clue.

Orthodox took me on religious detour. I thought kosher, but never wrote it down. I was unable to recall the other word that occurred to me with tref. Halal was one that came to me after the show. What I scribbled as time ran out to avoid a blank page was AOK.

PC/personal computer would have hit me before bedtime. In thirty seconds with the added excitement of a TOC game it was going to be a whiff. Good for you for all that got it as you'll get to boost it to the low 30% level I'm expecting in the poll.

Two games to go and Greg is gone. Dan, Kristin, and John sure need a sole semifinalist-producing game tomorrow. Or by Friday Dan and John will need to either make wildcards or have the max & stay pat figures beat they left on the table. Otherwise it's restless nights.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think the confusing thing about the FJ clue--at least for me--is I thought the two usages would be related somehow. The only thing personal computer and politically correct have in common is the abbreviation. Which is enough, of course, but that wasn't the line of thinking I was using.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

My DVR taping of the show was pre-empted by tornado/severe storm coverage in my area. Sigh. I hated to miss this one.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

The difficulty level of the boards so far have been closer to regular season level than the normal TOC clues we've seen in the past. This may be problematic for some contestants' target figures for a wild card berth. Already the low WC figure is $12,800 with four more losing figures to weather. $15000 is not a typical cutoff level.

The triple category might better have been explained before play began unless they hoped to trip the first responder up. As it was, they just wasted a clue and then explained how the cat worked. I think it's very hard for the writers to gauge difficulty level for word origin clues, which this FJ basically was. They frequently have very low get rates while people try to figure out what the hell it is they're after. I couldn't figure this one out; my surrender answer at 25 seconds was ditto, which was equally absurd as several other things I came up with. 2 for 3 for TOC FJs this time out.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

hbomb1947 wrote:I thought it was funny when Alex T. emulated Matt's hand-waving gesture at the start of the game.
That, sir, was *JAZZ HANDS* and it was EXIMIOUS!

Also I loved the -GROAN- commentary, as did the audience of course...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bomtr wrote:The triple category might better have been explained before play began unless they hoped to trip the first responder up.
I figured it was going to be a triple barreled version of Quasi-Related Pairs from the category: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4114
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I think the confusing thing about the FJ clue--at least for me--is I thought the two usages would be related somehow. The only thing personal computer and politically correct have in common is the abbreviation. Which is enough, of course, but that wasn't the line of thinking I was using.
Yes, this. I was lost.

I loved the triple category.

Matt had enough mojo to overcome the correcting Alex curse--but does the curse expire at the end of the game, or carry over to next week?
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Yeah this FJ! was a stinker in my opinion.
a) I thought "as an individual product" referred to its individuality, so I was thinking of "sing." or "tm" or something rather than a specific product.
b) In my lexicon, PC does not mean "conforming to orthodox opinion", but like someone mentioned above, more along the lines of not trying to offend anyone.

So I was dead meat there.

Once again, strong play from all three contestants. I'm loving this tournament. I forgot how good John was. But cripes almighty dude, wagering 3k on that dinosaur DD was just not cool.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,400
46 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Alvin, Simon & Theodore; copyright

The best I could come up with for FJ! was "drinking the Kool-Aid," but that wasn't an abbreviation. I also hurt myself badly in this game with four costly negs worth a combined $-6,200. Dang.
arjavrawal wrote:
dhkendall wrote:That $600 clue in VETERANS was way overvalued. Not only does it ask us to name the president in 1982, but it *pictures* him? A popular recent president?

The $1000 clue was "Got your 6", obvious on retrospect of course given the charitable organization, but would "Got your 6 o'clock" work?

I didn't get Final but it was a good clue. (I WAGged A-1). (Oh and again I said Plutarch instead of Petra[r]ch and knew it was wrong as soon as I said it)
Haven't seen the show yet (we get it at 7 pacific here), but 1982 was Reagan IIRC, and "popular" and "recent" are NOT two words I would describe him.

Popular maybe, but divided opinion of him nonetheless.
Reagan was four presidents ago, and he won 94 out of a possible 100 states. Between this and your recent post hailing the impending popularity surge of John Kasich, you might not have your finger squarely on the pulse of American political sensibilities.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The only thing that really came to mind for me was "A-OK" but I'd never heard of a product by that name.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My problem with the FJ was that I read "its meaning as conforming to orthodox opinion" as "its generally accepted meaning." So the clue said to me, "This abbreviation meant a product in 1977, but since 1986 it has for the most part meant something else," which was impossible to crack. I just couldn't tell that "conforming to orthodox opinion" was supposed to be a definition. Quotation marks would have been a kick in the right direction.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

That was the worst FJ since Brat/Blatt. Whoever wrote it should be put on probation, if not fired.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Got Your 6 was my only get in Veterans, because Wheel plugged gotyour6.org yesterday.

WLT microscope on Technology for $200?

Lach Trash: Material Girl.

3/5 in Triples. He could've explained the category better, and I could've managed not to blank on "wht the hell trio has a Simon in it?!" Didn't recognize any name in the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer one, though.

Stood and stared for the entire 30 seconds at FJ!, thinking "this is going to be so obvious when it comes up." It wasn't. Maybe because I'm a Mac guy? :lol:
I would have had 'Emerson, Lake and Palmer(knowing the last two immediately, the other one was 'Oh, yeah, that guy' after the fact), if Matt had picked the clues in order. But that's such a prehistoric way to play the game.