LL67 (For the LLamas Among Us)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Have you met your LL referrer in real life?

Yes, we know each other for a reason unrelated to Jeopardy!
29%
Yes, I met them at a Jeopardy!-related event
19%
Yes, but we only met after they referred me
5%
No
48%

Total votes: 86

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL67 (For the LLamas Among Us)

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I had no idea Condé Nast was actually someone's name!
Ditto, but I had the MCWA.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Went for a best wrong answer attempt on Q1 with "Writing Bear" but I guess Thorsten didn't like it. The only Native American authors I could think of were Sherman Alexie and William Least Heat-Moon and I was pretty confident it wasn't either of them (I knew Alexie would be way too young).

I had no idea Condé Nast was actually someone's name! I said Henry Luce.
I muddled Graham Greene (the aboriginal Canadian actor) and Graham Greene (the English author) together.

I still managed a 7(4)-0(1) win, though, so I got that going for me.
@caknuck
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

sarisson wrote:
molly427 wrote:Sorry if this belongs in an off-topic thread instead, but how many people who do LL also did Academic Decathlon in high school? I somehow only just realized today what the different divisions and rundles reminded me of. (I was in the C group, the smart slacker's time to shine.)
That would be "Varsity." We called them smart slackers, too, although my high school team never could get three Varsity starters, which is why we never won States. I was in the "Honors" division and I'm in C Rundle.
The Super Quiz topic my senior year was biographies of ~25 high-achieving women and minorities. It's the reason I never miss a J! clue about I.M. Pei or Aung San Suu Kyi. One of the two Native Americans was N. Scott Momaday (the other was Ben Nighthorse Campbell). Unfortunately, I didn't remember him until after I saw the correct answers to yesterday's questions.

And Academic Decathlon was the best. You're gonna reward me for underachieving in school? Don't mind if I do! I was the Varsity all-around champion for Kern County (CA) for 1993 and 1994. My school got third both years, though, so I never got to go to state. (This is starting to sound like a nerdy version of Al Bundy.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
sarisson wrote:
molly427 wrote:Sorry if this belongs in an off-topic thread instead, but how many people who do LL also did Academic Decathlon in high school? I somehow only just realized today what the different divisions and rundles reminded me of. (I was in the C group, the smart slacker's time to shine.)
That would be "Varsity." We called them smart slackers, too, although my high school team never could get three Varsity starters, which is why we never won States. I was in the "Honors" division and I'm in C Rundle.
The Super Quiz topic my senior year was biographies of ~25 high-achieving women and minorities. It's the reason I never miss a J! clue about I.M. Pei or Aung San Suu Kyi. One of the two Native Americans was N. Scott Momaday (the other was Ben Nighthorse Campbell). Unfortunately, I didn't remember him until after I saw the correct answers to yesterday's questions.

And Academic Decathlon was the best. You're gonna reward me for underachieving in school? Don't mind if I do! I was the Varsity all-around champion for Kern County (CA) for 1993 and 1994. My school got third both years, though, so I never got to go to state. (This is starting to sound like a nerdy version of Al Bundy.)
Yeah, I couldn't remember the names they gave to all the groups, but I remember that for once us slackers and our teachers (well, the two who coached us, anyway) were glad the three of us took such a, uh, relaxed approach to things like homework and papers. We won the county-wide (Berkshire County MA) match, and I got five medals (two gold, one silver, two bronze; I remember a few but not all of the categories I won in but not which category I got which medal for). We did meh at states but we weren't shocked about that, and I still picked up a medal and an honorable mention there so hey!

That sounds like a way more interesting Super Quiz topic than we had (although we still killed it!) which was like, the environment or ecology or something. I remember the name of the Coriolis Effect from that off the top of my head, but not much else. Our book was Far From the Madding Crowd and I don't know if any of us read the whole thing.

AcaDeca happened during a school year where I ended up having a lot of intense/sad personal life stuff happening, and it was a real bright spot. I was friends with a couple people on my team already, and friendly acquaintances with a few more, but I was mostly a loner in high school. Hanging out with my teammates and working together to learn all that stuff was fun in a way I didn't usually get to experience. I remember that I went last in Super Quiz and because of the timing I ended up being the one to clinch the victory for us--it was a team effort and we won because of everyone, but when you're the last one to go it does feel like it's all on you, and my teammates' reaction after that was really nice.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

StevenH wrote:I had Momaday typed in for the Native American author, but then second guessed myself with Alexie and went with the latter. I still would have lost the match (to a certain boardie), but I still feel like an idiot. You would think that by now that I would learn to go with my first instinct in situations like that.
I was happy to have come up with a name of a Native American writer who plausibly fit the time frame, but when I went to look him up (as I often do after I get something wrong) I found out that in the time between learning about him and today he's apparently been outed as a non-Native-American. #thanksfornothingforrestcarter
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I've taught Native American History courses for years and had a concentration in grad school, so that was an instaget for me. Not many Kiowa writers out there!
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

I was in no mood to Llama yesterday, having had a really lousy day at work and not even getting around to viewing the question set until right before trying to sleep off the fifth day of a sinus infection/head cold. My two answers correct were truly representative of the five minutes worth of effort I gave it.

So of course I ended up winning 5(2) - 2(1). Maybe the trivia gods felt bad for me.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote:I also had Singin' in the Rain as I fell 5(4)-3(2) to h-bomb. He gave me three for Remmington and the mailman delivered zero points.

I have started off 0-2 in my first (and likely last) season in D.
I feel like I'm about two iterations from being able to identify Remington in the future (the way I can usually identify Gainsborough and Magritte now). Yeah, the western artist guy whose name I should know by now.

This is my first (and possibly last) season in C. The way things are going, I'm grateful I can't get relegated to E. I'm not going to give up yet, but the depressing thing is that I'm not sure I'd be doing any better in D.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I'm still on track for 0-0-25.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

molly427 wrote: That sounds like a way more interesting Super Quiz topic than we had (although we still killed it!) which was like, the environment or ecology or something. I remember the name of the Coriolis Effect from that off the top of my head, but not much else. Our book was Far From the Madding Crowd and I don't know if any of us read the whole thing.
I remember it well; that was my sophomore year and the Super Quiz topic was oceanography. I was an alternate then, so I took the multiple-choice Super Quiz. I still listen to "Music from the Romantic Age." Our regional awards ceremony in '03 was at Ridgewood High School, the alma mater of a certain 19-day Jeopardy champion.
The next year, I was a starter and got a perfect score on the math test, which I was told was the first time anyone had done that in NJ. Someone else from another school at regionals got a 1000 then, too. That wound up being the only medal I ever won as a starter, since it's very hard to medal in Honors.
I think AcaDec was better training for Jeopardy than it was for LL, since there were no pop music or film or television questions on any of the multiple choice tests.
Hoping for a third lap
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote:I'm still on track for 0-0-25.
Yeah, I saw that. I think you've just had a bad luck of the draw. It'll all even out in the end.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I also had Singin' in the Rain as I fell 5(4)-3(2) to h-bomb. He gave me three for Remmington and the mailman delivered zero points.

I have started off 0-2 in my first (and likely last) season in D.
I feel like I'm about two iterations from being able to identify Remington in the future (the way I can usually identify Gainsborough and Magritte now). Yeah, the western artist guy whose name I should know by now.

This is my first (and possibly last) season in C. The way things are going, I'm grateful I can't get relegated to E. I'm not going to give up yet, but the depressing thing is that I'm not sure I'd be doing any better in D.
I started LL66 1-5-0 and finished 12-11-2. It ain't over till it's over!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the Mexican mountain ranges question, I said "Sierra" and got credit. I'm okay with that. Anyway, I won 9(6)-4(4), so I'd have won either way.

Had I responded thusly to a similar clue on J!, I imagine Alex would have said, "We need more than that," and I think I would have come through.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote:On the Mexican mountain ranges question, I said "Sierra" and got credit. I'm okay with that. Anyway, I won 9(6)-4(4), so I'd have won either way.

Had I responded thusly to a similar clue on J!, I imagine Alex would have said, "We need more than that," and I think I would have come through.
Wow. Given that sierra means "mountain range," that seems a bit too lenient on Thorsten's part.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Still on track for 0-0-25, TCA 138. I have a quest.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
seaborgium wrote:On the Mexican mountain ranges question, I said "Sierra" and got credit. I'm okay with that. Anyway, I won 9(6)-4(4), so I'd have won either way.

Wow. Given that sierra means "mountain range," that seems a bit too lenient on Thorsten's part.
But we don't translate it to say the name of the mountain ranges in English, so it must be part of the name.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Luckily for me, I had "dan" as a question on the show (didn't get it then). Also got lucky with just sierra.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:

I think since he doesn't have the ability to ask for more complete information, he set it up to accept Sierra or Sierras as asking anyone who got that much would instantly add Madres
Total game show career losings = $171,522
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

triviawayne wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:

I think since he doesn't have the ability to ask for more complete information, he set it up to accept Sierra or Sierras as asking anyone who got that much would instantly add Madres
I went with "Sierra Nevada". :(
@caknuck
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

triviawayne wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:

I don't think they necessarily would. Someone who knows a bit about the Spanish language and nothing about Mexican geography is likely to figure that it's probably the Sierra Something.