Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6301, 2012-01-30

CONTESTANTS
Danny Parra, a sportscaster from Miami, Florida
Kate Jeracki, a newspaper staff writer from Fort Collins, Colorado
Brendan Graham, a soldier and a physician from San Antonio, Texas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $46,602)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome.
Another month is coming to an end, another week begins here on "Jeopardy!" with an excellent champion in Brendan.
Kate and Danny, welcome aboard.
Let's go to work, shall we?
First round of play coming up right now.
Clues are worth from $200 to $1,000 in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TIE ONE ON (5/5)
ALBUMS (4/5)
ART "R"EVIEW (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT (4/5) (Alex: Each response will be a playing card.)
STATE FLOWERS (5/5)
MARK TWAIN NEVER SAID... (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brendan: 17 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Danny: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Kate: 4 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brendan: $5,000
Danny: $1,800
Kate: -$2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex:
Danny Parra is a sportscaster from Florida whose home run calls are done in an unusual way, I hear.
Tell us.

Danny:
They're movie quotes.
Um...
For instance?
For example, I know a lot of people loved Arnold Schwarzenegger, so, you know, I'd throw in a little...
]imitates Arnold Schwarzenegger]
"Get in the chopper" or
"Who told you you could eat my cookies?"
[Laughter]

Danny:
[normal voice]
It was fun.
And it still is.

[Laughter]

Alex:
All right.
Good for you.

Alex:
Kate jeracki.

Kate:
Hi.

Alex:
Most of our "Jeopardy!" fans know that this show was on in the '60s and early '70s, from '64 to '74--

Kate:
Mm-hmm.

Alex:
--with Art Fleming as the host.
You tried out for those programs, right?

Kate:
I did. I did. I--as soon as I turned 18, uh, which was the minimum age, I went to New York and watched from the audience, like everybody's there, as the stage hands pulled the cards up and revealed what the answers were.

Alex:
Mm-hmm.

Kate:
It was, um, a little bit low-tech.

[Laughter]

Alex:
But you tried out for the show.

Kate:
I did.

Alex:
Did you make it?

Kate:
Almost.

Alex:
Almost.
Okay.

Kate:
Almost.
I got to the final question.
And I still remember the answer, which was Thelma Ryan.

Alex:
Whoa.
Thelma Ryan?
Mrs., uh, Nixon?

Kate:
Who was pat Nixon?

[Laughter]

Alex:
Payback.
Payback.

Alex:
Brendan Graham is our champion.
He has earned a lot of money--$46,000--and he plans--already, he has made plans on giving some of it away.

Brendan:
Uh, yes.
Uh, my wife Lindsay, who's in the audience today, is also a military physician like me, and there are a couple of, uh, military charities that are very dear to our heart.
Uh, the wounded warrior project, uh, that helps, uh, wounded warriors who are wounded in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan when they come back to the states, and the other one that's very dear to our heart is, uh, the fisher house, which is a project that, uh, pays for housing for families and loved ones of wounded soldiers so they can be close to their soldiers in their recuperation and their recovery and help them do the best they can.

[Applause]

Alex:
Way to go.
Two very good charities.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kate found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Brendan had $10,200, Kate was in the red with -$1,600, and Danny was at $3,600. Kate wagered $1,000.

ART "R"EVIEW $1000: This term can refer to a style of art or design or to a highly ornamental style of music of the late 18th Century

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAY YOUR CARDS RIGHT $1000: It's slang for the type of restaurant table seen here
(Kate: What is a 2-top?)

ALBUMS $800: This Nigerian-born woman returned in 2010 with "Soldier of Love", which topped the Billboard album chart

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brendan: $10,200
Danny: $3,600
Kate: -$600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S A PARTY! (5/5)
TIME (5/5)
PLACE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OCCASION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HOPE "U" CAN MAKE IT (5/5)
BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kate: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Brendan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Danny: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Danny snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Brendan had $13,800, Kate was in the red with -$200, and Danny was at $6,000. Danny wagered $5,000.

PLACE $800: Cape Dezhnev, the easternmost point on mainland Asia, juts into this strait

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Danny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Brendan had $15,000, Kate had $200, and Danny was at $16,600. Danny wagered $6,000.

OCCASION $1600: September 21, 1897: It seems 3 months early, but the N.Y. Sun publishes an editorial famous for this 7-word phrase
(Danny: What is, "Remember the Maine! To Hell with Spain!")

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brendan: $21,000
Kate: $11,400
Danny: $11,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s TV CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Brendan: Wager $1,801 to cover Kate.
Kate: You have the hope of surpassing Brendan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,601 to force Brendan to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Danny.
Danny: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $10,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of her first spoken lines is translated as "You have the face of a wise and fearless caliph"

FINAL SCORES
Danny: $11,000 + $11,000 = $22,000 (Who is Jeannie?) (New champion: $22,000)
Kate: $11,400 + $10,000 = $21,400 (Who is Jeanie?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Brendan: $21,000 - $1,801 = $19,199 (Who is Scherezade) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brendan: $21,000, 25 R, 0 W
Danny: $12,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kate: $11,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $45,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Brendan: 25/58 = .431
Danny: 18/60 = .300
Kate: 16/59 = .271
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STATE FLOWERS $1000: The yellow hibiscus
(Kate: What is ...?)

TIE ONE ON $600: That's Isaac Asimov rocking one of these, also called a "shoelace tie"

ALBUMS $1000: Her sophomore album "21" featured her hit "Rolling in the Deep"
(Kate: Who is Amy Winehouse?)

ART "R"EVIEW $400: Donatello used a relatively flat type of this technique, where figures project from the background

ART "R"EVIEW $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) You can take a textured surface, a piece of paper, & charcoal, & turn it into this type of two-dimensional image

BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE $800: This West Coast state's 1971 "bottle bill" helped jump-start recycling in the U.S. by banning nonrefundables
(Danny: What is California?)

HOPE "U" CAN MAKE IT $1600: John Stuart Mill wrote the book on this philosophy that says an action is right if it promotes happiness
(Danny: What is utopia?)
(Alex: No.)
(Danny: Utopian?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
rococo
a deuce
Sade
the Bering Strait
"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus."
Jeannie
Hawaii
a bolo tie
Adele
relief
a rubbing
Oregon
utilitarianism
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AlphaDummy »

Damn.

Oh, damn.

:cry:
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

Wow
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Why am I not surprised?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

20/30, 16/30.

Keith Urban, Taylor Swift and Adele in the albums category? I'm happy. "Rolling in the Deep" is awesome.

Picked up Lach Trash on Deuce and Yes, Virginia.

Also went with CA over OR on Bottles for $800, since I've seen "CA CASH REFUND" on a lot of bottles. Is this a well known thing for Oregon?

Absolutely lost on FJ!, knowing the word "caliph" but not what it meant. Even when he said "middle east", I thought "whaaaaaa?!?" Of course I've heard of Jeannie, but I never would've made that connection in a zillion years.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. As Alex said, caliph lead me to the right answer.

As for Kate's wager...

WTF!??!?!??!
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:20/30, 16/30.

Keith Urban, Taylor Swift and Adele in the albums category? I'm happy. "Rolling in the Deep" is awesome.
There's hope for you yet. :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

1960s TV Characters

Post by Bamaman »

One of her first spoken lines is translated "You have the face of a wise and fearless caliph"

Spoiler
Who is Jeannie?
Player responses:
Spoiler
Danny and Kate both had the correct response. Brendan said Scheherazade
Wagers:

Danny: $11,000+$11,000=$22,000
Kate: $11,400+$10,000=$21,400
Brendan: $21,000-$1,801=$19,199
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

That was a great second round comeback for Kate. I assume they would also have taken Barbara Eden as an acceptable answer.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Sigh...such an amazing comeback in the latter stages of Double Jeopardy, only to lose because of a poor wager. It wasn't even like she bet small in order to stay in 2nd place on a triple stumper, which in itself would have been a very poor strategy, not giving herself any chance at the win. Why risk 90% of your money and not the 95% required to lock out 3rd place? I just don't understand. I'm going to tell myself that she made a math error, because that's a lot easier to understand than a complete failure of logic and reason.

I thought that maybe they should have given Katie credit for her answer of "2-top" in the clue that was asking for "deuce" as restaurant slang for a table for two. While some may claim that the playing card is correctly known as a "deuce", it certainly can't be denied that many, many people call it a "2", so her response did indeed include the name of a playing card, and I also don't think it can be denied that a table for two is commonly called a "2-top" in the restaurant business. Does anyone see any real reason why this shouldn't have been acceptable?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Why am I not surprised?

I'm surprised. If you've been waiting since the Fleming era to get on the show, you ought to make a better wager than that. She gets off the mat to fight back into second place and ruins it all by a horrible wager, costing her $20,001 today and a chance to play again. At the end of the closing credits, they showed the players shaking hands. I hope Danny thanked her for the win.

Instaget FJ for me. I have no idea what caliph means, but I knew her character was supposed to be from the middle east so it led me to there.

I also fell for the California neg bait on the bottles question. I have no idea why we should know it started in Oregon, maybe Vanya can tell us.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

SkoolRN wrote:That was a great second round comeback for Kate. I assume they would also have taken Barbara Eden as an acceptable answer.
Since the category was 60s TV Characters, I'm pretty sure that would've been wrong.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

xxaaaxx wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:That was a great second round comeback for Kate. I assume they would also have taken Barbara Eden as an acceptable answer.
Since the category was 60s TV Characters, I'm pretty sure that would've been wrong.
Okay. Missed that detail.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! Kate's late run was amazing and when 60s TV Characters was revealed as the FJ category I thought it was a fat pitch right over the plate. Kate was obviously watching TV (at least Jeopardy) during the 60s and it looked good for her with Brendan being quite a bit younger and maybe not being up on all the 60s era characters. Sure enough, Brendan whiffed and Kate got it right...but NOT WAGERING TO COVER THIRD PLACE????

It was particularly painful to see Kate blow it as her story was mine. I was a kid watching the Fleming Jeopardy and I, too, applied to be a contestant as soon as I turned 18. And also didn't make it. I thought I had a long wait till I finally made it (at 40) but Kate waited at least a decade longer. And then.....

Sigh.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

what's up with the wager? Gotta at least cover 3rd place
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

My head hurts. I need some Aleve.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jeff6286 wrote:I thought that maybe they should have given Katie credit for her answer of "2-top" in the clue that was asking for "deuce" as restaurant slang for a table for two. While some may claim that the playing card is correctly known as a "deuce", it certainly can't be denied that many, many people call it a "2", so her response did indeed include the name of a playing card, and I also don't think it can be denied that a table for two is commonly called a "2-top" in the restaurant business. Does anyone see any real reason why this shouldn't have been acceptable?
Because there is no card in a standard deck called a "2-top." The responses had to BE the name of a card, not merely include it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

marpocky wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I thought that maybe they should have given Katie credit for her answer of "2-top" in the clue that was asking for "deuce" as restaurant slang for a table for two. While some may claim that the playing card is correctly known as a "deuce", it certainly can't be denied that many, many people call it a "2", so her response did indeed include the name of a playing card, and I also don't think it can be denied that a table for two is commonly called a "2-top" in the restaurant business. Does anyone see any real reason why this shouldn't have been acceptable?
Because there is no card in a standard deck called a "2-top." The responses had to BE the name of a card, not merely include it.
Ah, that makes sense I suppose. Thanks for clearing that up.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

SavoyGirl wrote:Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! Kate's late run was amazing and when 60s TV Characters was revealed as the FJ category I thought it was a fat pitch right over the plate. Kate was obviously watching TV (at least Jeopardy) during the 60s and it looked good for her with Brendan being quite a bit younger and maybe not being up on all the 60s era characters. Sure enough, Brendan whiffed and Kate got it right...but NOT WAGERING TO COVER THIRD PLACE????

It was particularly painful to see Kate blow it as her story was mine. I was a kid watching the Fleming Jeopardy and I, too, applied to be a contestant as soon as I turned 18. And also didn't make it. I thought I had a long wait till I finally made it (at 40) but Kate waited at least a decade longer. And then.....

Sigh.
In Kate's defense, it's nerve-wracking when you're up there.
Casey Stengel.