Wednesday, November 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7173, 2015-11-18

2015 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Catherine Hardee, an aspiring teacher from Kinston, North Carolina
Andrew Haringer, a college instructor from Squamish, British Columbia, Canada
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C.

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Well, as you can tell, folks, there's not all that much pressure. Our contestants still have an excellent sense of humor, as these three--Matt, Andrew, and Catherine--get ready to face off to find out who gets to come back tomorrow to start playing for a quarter million dollars. Good luck. Let's get into the Jeopardy! Round right now. And we start you off by showing you these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORIA (5/5)
SCIENCE TIMELINE (5/5)
I'D LIKE TO MAKE IT A TRUE "D.D." (5/5) (Alex: "D.D." coming up in each correct response, of course.)
FOOD & DRINK (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
VIDEO GAME VILLAINS (4/5)
NATIONAL PHRASES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Catherine: 10 R, 0 W
Matt: 9 R, 0 W
Andrew: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Matt had no money, Andrew had $800, and Catherine was at $600. Andrew wagered $1,000.

FOOD & DRINK $1000: Wine Spectator magazine named as its top wine of 2014 Dow's 2011 vintage this from the Douro Valley in Europe
(Alex: Andrew?)
(Andrew: What is shiraz?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $4,800
Catherine: $3,400
Andrew: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: On our program, I try very hard to pronounce words correctly. But Catherine Hardee, am I in trouble with the folks in your town? Because have I been pronouncing it incorrectly?

Catherine: You--well, the first game I was on, about last September, you said I was Catherine Hardee from Kingston.

Alex: And it's Kinston.

Catherine: And it's Kinston, because in the 1790s, they changed it from Kingston to Kinston to reflect the fact that, you know, we fought a war and we no longer had a king. I figured it was because you were Canadian, maybe you were trying to reinstate the monarchy, I don't know.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, I would like to apologize to the people of Kinston and also add, "Get over it."

[Laughter]

Catherine: They all appreciate it.

Alex: Andrew Haringer, from British Columbia, Canada. Proud to represent that country on our program.

Andrew: Yes.

Alex: But you're not Canadian.

Andrew: Yes, there's gonna be some more Canadian apologizing today, because I'm, in fact, American. I've lived in Squamish for two years. I love it there. Uh, so, in true Canadian fashion, I'd just like to say, [Canadian accent] "Sorry."

Alex: No, no. No, no, no. Oh, no. You don't do it that way. You say, "Sorry, eh?"

[Laughter]

Alex: Right?

Andrew: Yeah, absolutely.

Alex: Matt Jackson, you have a brother who looks a lot like you, and after your winning streak on Jeopardy!, that created some confusing moments for some of our viewers.

Matt: Yes, my brother David, who is 18 months older than me and a huge geography buff--helped prepare me for the geography clues on the show--was contacted, actually, the night that my first game was on by a college friend of his who said, "Are you on TV?" To which he replied, "No." To which the friend replied, "Well, do you have a brother? 'Cause there's this guy named Matt Jackson on Jeopardy!, he's kind of killing it, and he has the same fast tone of voice and articulate cadence that you do." So I didn't really know what to make of that. But hi, David. Hope you're doing well.

Alex: Okay, we've gotten a shout-out for Matt's brother.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOOD & DRINK $400: Maytag Dairy Farms in Iowa has been turning out this variety of cheese since 1941

VIDEO GAME VILLAINS $800: A thief of epic proportions, she has a last name like the 8th-most populous U.S. city

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Catherine: $6,000
Matt: $5,600
Andrew: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM RECIPIENTS (4/5)
WHAT'S THE WORD? (5/5)
ORGANIZATIONS (4/5)
RARELY QUOTED SHAKESPEARE LINES (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the play for us.)
WORLD CITIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SHOW TUNES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Andrew: 9 R, 2 W
Catherine: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Catherine snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Matt had $10,000, Andrew had $6,000, and Catherine was at $10,000. Catherine wagered $4,000.

WORLD CITIES $2000: In 1907 a 500,000-year-old "man" was found near & named for this southwest German city
(Catherine: What is Cologne?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Matt had $12,000, Andrew had $6,000, and Catherine was at $6,000. Matt wagered $8,000.

SHOW TUNES $2000: Act I of "Wicked" ends with this high-flying song
(Matt: [Uncovering the Daily Double] Yes!)
(Matt: [Responding correctly] [Pounds hands together, pumps fist in the air] Yes!)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ORGANIZATIONS $2000: It was founded in 1957 by a single mom & a single dad to help & support other single moms & dads

PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM RECIPIENTS $800: This political widow & champion of human rights received the medal in 2014

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $28,400 (lock game)
Andrew: $10,400
Catherine: $6,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: I think we're playing this Final Jeopardy! primarily for our viewers. The category is SPACE EXPLORATION. But, players, you get a shot at it, too. Here's the clue...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPACE EXPLORATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Andrew: Wager $2,401 to cover Catherine.
Catherine: You have the hope of surpassing Andrew for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,600 and $6,398.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first man to travel into space began his journey on that fateful day in what is today this country

FINAL SCORES
Catherine: $6,400 + $0 = $6,400 (What is Kazakhstan?) (3rd place)
Andrew: $10,400 - $2,401 = $7,999 (What is Ukraine?) (2nd place)
Matt: $28,400 + $0 = $28,400 (What is Kazakhstan (hi Matt B.)) (Finalist)
(Alex Trebek: [To Matt] And did you risk anything? You didn't have to. No, a little smiley face. Okay, you're a finalist. You get to play for $250,000 starting tomorrow. Come on over here, Matt. And you know, of course, the two players you're going to be facing starting tomorrow. Here they are.)
(Kerry: Kerry Greene, Manchester, New Hampshire.)
(Alex Jacob: Alex Jacob, Chicago, Illinois.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $22,400, 23 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Andrew: $11,400, 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Catherine: $10,400, 14 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $44,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 24/59 = .407
Andrew: 17/59 = .288
Catherine: 15/59 = .254
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NATIONAL PHRASES $600: When the wind's just right, these noisy birds can cover 1,500 miles in 24 hours during their migration
(Alex: Yes, even though you're an American!)

NATIONAL PHRASES $1000: This high-energy dog breed loves to run; give it space to exercise

SHOW TUNES $1600: (Hi. I'm Debra Messing.) A heroine of mine growing up was Barbra Streisand & one of my favorite show tunes is "Don't Rain On My Parade", which she introduced in this musical
(Andrew: What is Hello, Dolly!?)

WORLD CITIES $1200: Brisbane is the capital city of this "royal" Australian state
(Andrew: What is Victoria?)

WORLD CITIES $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Hanoi, Vietnam.) Hanoi's old quarter consists of 36 streets; Hang Ma specializes in papermaking, but I also stopped off at Hang Bac for some silver & Hang Bun for some noodles, as each street traditionally matches up with one of these organizations of craftsmen

CORRECT RESPONSES
port
blue cheese
Carmen Sandiego
Heidelberg
"Defying Gravity"
Parents Without Partners
Ethel Kennedy
Kazakhstan
Canada geese
an Irish setter
Funny Girl
Queensland
guilds
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Space Exploration

The first man to travel into space began his journey on that fateful day in what is today this country.
Spoiler
What is Kazakhstan? Andrew had Ukraine. Matt added "Hi Matt B." under his correct response.
Catherine Hardee: $6,400+$0=$6,400 -> $10,000

Andrew Haringer: $10,400-$2,401=$7,999 -> $10,000

Matt Jackson: $28,400+$0=now a finalist with $28,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

This was a very interesting game! Catherine and Andrew really hung in there, and for a second I thought Catherine would have made an upset. Unfortunately, she missed her DD, and as soon as Matt found his, his roll started to pile up. It's interesting to note that if Catherine had gotten her DD, she would have had more than half of Matt's total, thus still giving him a run for his money. However, Matt has definitely secured his spot in the finale, and it will be very interesting to see how he plays out against Kerry Greene and Alex Jacob. Congrats to Andrew Haringer and Catherine Hardee on making it this far and being such good sports. This has been a very authentic ToC, one of the best I've seen in the 11 years I've been watching. Bring on the finals!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That could have been an interesting game if Matt hadn't found the daily double and then made a very hubristic bet, or if he'd lost that bet. What was with that hand gesture on Cabaret? A shoutout to his friends in musical theater?

It seemed they were willing to take abbreviations on all of the organizations clues. I wonder if that was discussed beforehand. I'm not sure WWF should have been accepted because that used to stand for something else. I thought NOW was negbait for someone who dared to spell it out, because a lot of people would say National Organization of Women, but it's National Organization for Women.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

floridagator wrote:That could have been an interesting game if Matt hadn't found the daily double and then made a very hubristic bet, or if he'd lost that bet. What was with that hand gesture on Cabaret? A shoutout to his friends in musical theater?
Jazz hands in tribute to Bob Fosse. Not to mention that it was a gesture used by Liza Minnelli when singing the referenced song. And Matt did it last week in his intro.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Was kinda hoping that would be a wheelhouse category, but not so much.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Matt on another great game and win. I had 37 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Carmen Sandiego and Ethel Kennedy. Instaget FJ.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

floridagator wrote:I'm not sure WWF should have been accepted because that used to stand for something else.
EDIT: Sorry, in my haste, I missed the "used to" part of your statement. I think that's the point though.

No it doesn't, and it hasn't for over a decade now. The World Wildlife Fund had an agreement with the World Wrestling Federation about limited use of the "WWF" logo; when Vince McMahon's company kept overstepping their line, they got sued. It changed to the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc) in May, 2005, and managed to make a bunch of money on the deal by selling t-shirts of their new logo and slogan "Get the F out!"

Matt is shorter than I remember/thought. The guy had me laughing multiple times in the episode; good for him. Gonna be one hell of a final.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Till the DDs in DJ it was close game... Then it all changed. Too hyped for my taste. Going to be an interesting final.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
brick

Post by brick »

Elijah Baley wrote:
floridagator wrote:That could have been an interesting game if Matt hadn't found the daily double and then made a very hubristic bet, or if he'd lost that bet. What was with that hand gesture on Cabaret? A shoutout to his friends in musical theater?
Jazz hands in tribute to Bob Fosse. Not to mention that it was a gesture used by Liza Minnelli when singing the referenced song. And Matt did it last week in his intro.
Jazz hands are generally a specific tribute to Fosse, but I don't recall him using them in Cabaret at all, and they definitely aren't used in the performance of the title song. The MC may have busted them out at some point. It's been a while since I saw the film.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Matt: "...this guy's really killing it!" Again with the egoist remarks. He's having fun, but gosh. He really makes the wife mad, she was spitting mad at him tonite on behalf of Andrew & Catherine.
She was also really irritated by him talking over AT again. She said; "I hope that fuzzy-headed guy can put him back in the box tomorrow!" Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger...

INstaget FJ; 48R; ran 'Rare Shakespeare, orgs, words, world cities, historia, science, "D.D"; LT: Carmen Sandiego (Where in the World is...!); get on missed DD: 'Heidelberg Man.'
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
brick

Post by brick »

It looked to me like Catherine was struggling to hold it together by the end. That was kind of hard to watch.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Debated between Ukraine and Kazakhstan for FJ, and went with the former even though Kazakhstan was the first country to pop into my mind. If I get 0/5 this week, I'm going to be kicking myself for this one.

Can't wait to see Matt and Alex in the finals, although I'm also very intrigued to see how Kerry will fare as well. The finals should be very exciting.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

My only worry for this game was that somehow, Matt would falter, and we would be cheated out of the epic Alex vs Matt showdown.
Happily, Matt put that to rest. He was operating in peak form.

Too bad they couldn't have a Nice Guys 'playoff bowl' with Michael Bilow, Andrew Haringer and Elliot Yates.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Impressive last third by Matt, both in the gets and in buzzing. Before that all three were rolling, and it could have been anyone's game.

These were some dream categories for me - all except for musical theatre. Of course the last DD was there... It would have been my undoing on the show.

So Matt vs Kerry vs Alex? Lots of quatloos on Alex. He just seems to dominate the buzzer beyond anything we've seen since Rutter.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

In case you confused it with Squamish, British Columbia, Omicron Persei 8.

Well those second-round DDs had an effect on the course of the game, didn't they?

And the FJ responses in the three semi-finals were Hamburg, Zambia/Gambia, and Kazakhstan. Should've been me up there.

Onward to tomorrow.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

goatman wrote: INstaget FJ; 48R; ran 'Rare Shakespeare, orgs, words, world cities, historia, science, "D.D"; LT: Carmen Sandiego (Where in the World is...!); get on missed DD: 'Heidelberg Man.'
Hey now, let's cool it with the egoistic remarks, ok?
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Unfortunately I had the result of today's game spoiled for me when I went to the Jeopardy website. I clicked on Thursday's line-up, expecting to see Alex, Kerry, and a blank spot. Instead I saw Alex, Kerry, and Matt. Very surprised that they made such a glaring misstep.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeopardy.com does not have any spoiler tags. Proceed there at your own risk.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.