Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Re: Monday, January 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by SavoyGirl »

SkoolRN wrote:
SavoyGirl wrote:Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

It was particularly painful to see Kate blow it as her story was mine. I was a kid watching the Fleming Jeopardy and I, too, applied to be a contestant as soon as I turned 18. And also didn't make it. I thought I had a long wait till I finally made it (at 40) but Kate waited at least a decade longer. And then.....

Sigh.
In Kate's defense, it's nerve-wracking when you're up there.
Of course I know that. I was there too. But they DO give you unlimited time to calculate your FJ wager.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

If anyone has a digital copy of the 1/30/2012 program that they would be willing to share with me, I'd very much appreciate it and would gladly return the favor another time. WTHR made a SuperBowl-related schedule change for this week only, and they didn't tell my DVR. Please PM me if you can help - thanks!!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyJ wrote:If anyone has a digital copy of the 1/30/2012 program that they would be willing to share with me, I'd very much appreciate it and would gladly return the favor another time. WTHR made a SuperBowl-related schedule change for this week only, and they didn't tell my DVR. Please PM me if you can help - thanks!!
This guy posts each day's episode for about a week after it airs.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This reminded me of that game where the Saints scored a touchdown on the final play with a pass completion and several laterals, then missed the PAT to lose by a point.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On a side note, I loved Danny's response on the DD, even if it was wrong.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Wow. Just wow. I don't think I have anything to add to the wagering situation other than what's already been said...that was just sad.

Especially after Kate completely came out of nowhere with that DJ! climb. As her streak got longer and longer, the game became more and more exciting. It's moments like those that make the J!-watching experience so terrific. (And then it's moments like post-FJ today that make it so frustrating at the same time.)

Easy run of the Albums category. (Writers, you earned your keep for the entire season--in my book, at least--with that Adele clue.) Nothing new, really. :)

Went with Catwoman on FJ, and got stuck in that rut for the whole 30 seconds. Immediately after Alex mentioned the Middle East, the Jeannie connection clicked. A local station used to show reruns of that and "Bewitched" and I really enjoyed watching them...I guess it's been too long. Bother.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Also, does this make Kate yet another unfortunate victim of the "contradicting Alex" curse?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

barandall800 wrote:Also, does this make Kate yet another unfortunate victim of the "contradicting Alex" curse?
I predicted during her interview that she'd lose. Of course, it was looking that way anyway.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

Sure FJ was a cinch, but I was still thrown a bit by "translated." Barbara Eden spoke...Arabic?...on "I Dream of Jeannie"??
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dream_of_Jeannie#Story

According to this link, she spoke Persian when Tony opened the bottle. He had crash landed on an island and found her bottle. He said he wished she spoke English and his wish was granted.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

davey wrote:Sure FJ was a cinch, but I was still thrown a bit by "translated." Barbara Eden spoke...Arabic?...on "I Dream of Jeannie"??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9B7wRLV6r8

Relevant scene starts about 2 minutes in.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

barandall800 wrote:A local station used to show reruns of that and "Bewitched" and I really enjoyed watching them...
Although if they're like most local stations that showed reruns of those shows, they didn't show the first seasons of either because they were in black and white, so you may have never seen the scene in question. Nick at Nite or TV Land, whichever one it was, did show the black-and-white episodes, but I can't remember if I've ever actually seen the first episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" in its entirety -- but I did get this FJ! immediately.

(I have seen the first episode of "Bewitched," and it still seems odd to me that Samantha wouldn't have told Darrin she was a witch until their wedding night, but I guess the '60s were a different time.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote:This reminded me of that game where the Saints scored a touchdown on the final play with a pass completion and several laterals, then missed the PAT to lose by a point.
I remember that game. It was up in Jacksonville. That's a horrible way to lose.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On one hand, I hate seeing Kate's brilliant comeback cut short by a bad wager. On the other hand, I'm happy for Danny that a couple of sensibly bold wagers helped him win, and that he doesn't have to regret losing more than $5,600 on the wager that didn't help. And of course, it's too bad we have to see another good 2x champion fall.

(Did Brendan neg on any $2,000 clues? I.e., was he one neg shy of a lock?)
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

When Alex revealed the FJ category, I pre-called Barbara Eden.

How did the guy in uniform not get I Dream of Jeannie?!???? C'mon, Brendan!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Danny and Kate sure were good at making large deficits disappear. Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain! did have seven letters and that was quite a stab by Danny on the Virginia DD. Players who lose 6000 on a DD and are third entering FJ must have a very low winning percentage. Luck gets credit along with Kate's wager and Brendan missing a gettable clue.

The FJ clue gave me nothing to think about other than Jeannie vs. Jeanie. Double N looked better so I went with that spelling.

The YouTube link had me wondering about the color as I knew as well that there were black and white episodes. Was just the pilot in color? Was the pilot later colorized?

The only thing that would make Brendan's miss worse would be if he was in the air force? His guess shows he had an idea what caliph meant and young or not he has to have some familiarity with the Barbara Eden show. Being fairly near the lock as well has to be game played over and over again in the head.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The YouTube link had me wondering about the color as I knew as well that there were black and white episodes. Was just the pilot in color? Was the pilot later colorized?
I was definitely in B&W originally.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:I thought that maybe they should have given Katie credit for her answer of "2-top" in the clue that was asking for "deuce" as restaurant slang for a table for two. While some may claim that the playing card is correctly known as a "deuce", it certainly can't be denied that many, many people call it a "2", so her response did indeed include the name of a playing card, and I also don't think it can be denied that a table for two is commonly called a "2-top" in the restaurant business. Does anyone see any real reason why this shouldn't have been acceptable?
Cite?

(That would be my reason for negging it)

bpmod wrote:
barandall800 wrote:Also, does this make Kate yet another unfortunate victim of the "contradicting Alex" curse?
I predicted during her interview that she'd lose. Of course, it was looking that way anyway.
I enjoyed all three interviews today. You folk who never watch them miss out on some interesting ones (and yes, some not interesting ones, but there are moments like that in the show itself ... )

I predicted she'd fare badly before the interview segment, she seemed to be ringing in for the sake of ringing in first instead of because she knew an answer, a fatal mistake (which, as someone pointed out earlier, should not be committed by people who have watched the show since (presumably) before I was born!). A mistake that cost her $2,000 very quickly (it was obvious she didn't know either of her first $1K clues.) Her comeback was something to see though, and did have me cheering for her at that time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I thought that maybe they should have given Katie credit for her answer of "2-top" in the clue that was asking for "deuce" as restaurant slang for a table for two. While some may claim that the playing card is correctly known as a "deuce", it certainly can't be denied that many, many people call it a "2", so her response did indeed include the name of a playing card, and I also don't think it can be denied that a table for two is commonly called a "2-top" in the restaurant business. Does anyone see any real reason why this shouldn't have been acceptable?
Cite?

(That would be my reason for negging it)
I doubt if there's really an authoritative source for something like this, but googling terms like restaurant, "2 top", "4 top", and deuce gave me many links to people making references to the terms. Here's one: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/619133

Included on that page are the following quotes:
Over the years on CH I've encountered, come to understand, and have tolerated the use of "two tops" and "four tops" to refer to the basic seating building blocks for restaurants.
How about "deuce"-- we use "deuce" for "two-top" pretty commonly.
Here are a couple of definitions from a book called So You Want to be a Waiter, http://teleburst.wordpress.com/2009/09/ ... r-newbies/
Deuce - As implied by the name, a table where two people are dining. It can refer to the size of a table, i.e. a table that can only fit two people, or it can refer to the size of the party, i.e. “That deuce is chewing up my six-top”.

X-top - “X” refers to a specific number, top refers to the table or party. Refers to either the size of a table (two-top or deuce, 4-top, 6-top, etc.), or, as in deuce can refer to the number of people in the dining party. Usually refers to the size of the party.
Now this could be uniquely an American thing, I really don't know, and it may be something that many people have never heard of if they haven't worked in a restaurant or been close to someone who has. But as mentioned by marpocky, I think the best reason for not accepting the response by Katie is that when Alex gave the categories, he did say that each correct response would be the name of a playing card, not include the name of one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I say no: she didn't contradict him, but merely corrected his phrasing. And if that's still a curse-able offense, I say it was undone by her getting laughs. Like when Alex interviewed me in my semifinal and was trying to force the idea that I could get promoted at my video game testing job by winning on Jeopardy. I explained that I had lost my job and been re-hired in between regular and ToC appearances, and he said, "But if you win this tournament--" and I interrupted, "I could stop working there!" Everyone chuckled, and then I won because of someone else's bad wager!