LL67 (For the LLamas Among Us)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Have you met your LL referrer in real life?

Yes, we know each other for a reason unrelated to Jeopardy!
29%
Yes, I met them at a Jeopardy!-related event
19%
Yes, but we only met after they referred me
5%
No
48%

Total votes: 86

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL67 (For the LLamas Among Us)

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:
ThreeIfByAir wrote:And the Jewish Autonomous Oblast is something that I remember reading about once, a long time ago, and finding just as fascinating. I'm sure a lot of people think 'oh yes, Russia, tons of people make aliyah from there', but this place is way way in the far east near Khabarovsk, far closer to Beijing than Moscow.
I considered Russia, but -- thinking back to the Pale Q in LL66 -- I went with Poland. Oopsie.
I was thinking about the Jewish population in Goa, India when I had a sudden burst of inspiration -- all those Ethiopian Jews! They're mostly all gone now, and maybe they had an area in Ethiopia devoted to them. I wasn't sure I'd gotten it right, but I thought there was a pretty chance of it. Uh, no.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was so sure that the "only historical importance and very few Jews living there now" part of the clue referred to the Warsaw ghetto that, not only did I guess Poland, I also gave my opponent 0 points for it. If I were to do a video like Lampy it would be to set a bad example.
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

boson wrote:I was so sure that the "only historical importance and very few Jews living there now" part of the clue referred to the Warsaw ghetto that, not only did I guess Poland, I also gave my opponent 0 points for it. If I were to do a video like Lampy it would be to set a bad example.
Tomorrow you may get to see my parenting skills, so I may be doing the same.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote:I was thinking about the Jewish population in Goa, India when I had a sudden burst of inspiration -- all those Ethiopian Jews! They're mostly all gone now, and maybe they had an area in Ethiopia devoted to them. I wasn't sure I'd gotten it right, but I thought there was a pretty chance of it. Uh, no.
Same here.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote:
Woof wrote:
ThreeIfByAir wrote:And the Jewish Autonomous Oblast is something that I remember reading about once, a long time ago, and finding just as fascinating. I'm sure a lot of people think 'oh yes, Russia, tons of people make aliyah from there', but this place is way way in the far east near Khabarovsk, far closer to Beijing than Moscow.
I considered Russia, but -- thinking back to the Pale Q in LL66 -- I went with Poland. Oopsie.
I was thinking about the Jewish population in Goa, India when I had a sudden burst of inspiration -- all those Ethiopian Jews! They're mostly all gone now, and maybe they had an area in Ethiopia devoted to them. I wasn't sure I'd gotten it right, but I thought there was a pretty chance of it. Uh, no.
Ethiopia was my guess too on that question. I never would have guessed Russia in a thousand million years. :)

And I read the art question too quickly, and didn't notice the "her" pronoun; my guess of Camille Pissarro was as bad as Manet. (although had I been attempting to respond with a female Impressionist, I undoubtedly would have gone with Cassatt)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Vermonter wrote:
alietr wrote:I was thinking about the Jewish population in Goa, India when I had a sudden burst of inspiration -- all those Ethiopian Jews! They're mostly all gone now, and maybe they had an area in Ethiopia devoted to them. I wasn't sure I'd gotten it right, but I thought there was a pretty chance of it. Uh, no.
Same here.
I also thought of the Falasha Jews, but was fairly confident that there was no official region set aside for them.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

dhkendall wrote:
cmp146 wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:In case anyone was wondering what I thought the controversy would be, it looks like it's not going to happen. There are a number of sewing machines with a part called a "hand treadle", and I thought that people might be more familiar with that than the foot treadles on spinning wheels and looms. I answered "foot for spinning wheels and looms, hand for sewing machines" and Thorsten counted it right.
When I think of treadle and sewing machine, I picture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_ma ... achine.jpg, a foot treadle machine.
As do I, my grandmother had similar and it was all us grandkids could do to not play with the treadle. (It was right at our level!)

How would s hand treadle even work? I can't even picture it.
I don't know how a hand treadle would work, either. I guess it would be something that you would press on initially to start the machine moving and then your hands would go back to the cloth. I'm more into spinning and weaving, and have barely done any sewing, but I've heard the term "hand-treadle sewing machine" spoken a lot by people who do sew. Maybe they just use an unusual machine.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

When you're sure the answer is Mary Cassatt and it turns out to be some obscure French artist:

I also decided to take a look and see if any question had ever gotten a lower percentage than Morisot. Turns out, the first one I could find was from LL46 all the way back in 2010. But here's the thing:

The answer to the question that stumped 97% of the League?
Mary Cassatt.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nightreign wrote:Turns out, the first one I could find was from LL46 all the way back in 2010. But here's the thing:

The answer to the question that stumped 97% of the League?
Mary Cassatt.
There's no way I would have guessed Cassatt from that picture. And I like her paintings.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

nightreign wrote:When you're sure the answer is Mary Cassatt and it turns out to be some obscure French artist
I don't think I'd call Morisot obscure. Not to say I even considered Morisot--because I didn't--but I have at least heard of her, so I don't think she's obscure.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I've climbed up to 22nd place (yes, up) after a miraculous 0(0)-0(0) tie on Monday, and a much-welcomed 4(4)-2(2) win yesterday. I've loved Mary Cassatt's paintings for a while, but I'm not sure I've even heard of Berthe Morisot. Beatrix Potter, on the other hand, I pulled out of my who knows where. :P I'm glad Thorsten took just "Summer Olympics," as I wasn't sure how specific to be...if it were J! and I was prompted to BMS, I'd have easily said Los Angeles.

If I can just climb out of the relegation zone by season's end, I'll be happy. (Then again, if I go down to E, I might do a bit better next season and be happier... :)) It's been a rough 13 match days... :?
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

barandall800 wrote:I'm glad Thorsten took just "Summer Olympics," as I wasn't sure how specific to be
I put "Olympics" and got credit. Although there was a Winter Olympics that year, too, asking for specificity would have probably given away the answer to a lot of people.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
nightreign wrote:When you're sure the answer is Mary Cassatt and it turns out to be some obscure French artist
I don't think I'd call Morisot obscure. Not to say I even considered Morisot--because I didn't--but I have at least heard of her, so I don't think she's obscure.
I don't think Morisot is obscure either -- 10 hits in the Archive, with many of them describing her as "first female impressionist" (so knowing the painting itself wasn't really necessary, IMO, when given "cofounder"). Perhaps my opponent was assuming it was Cassatt, so only gave me a point for it :( , but it was enough to give me my third victory of the season (yeah, MD 13 and I can still count 'em on one hand :lol: )
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Over three seasons, LL64-66, I had a total of 5 ties. In one stretch, 32 straight matches without a tie.

This season, in 13 matches, I have 5 ties.

I missed the "her" in the question, so I went with Manet, who seemed to be closest in style and subject to the painting for the handful of Impressionists that came to mind. I've heard of Morisot, but even if I realized that I was looking for a woman, I doubt that I would have thought of her. Definitely ruled out Cassatt.
Last edited by RandyG on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

So which question was supposed to cause the uproar?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

jkbrat wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
I don't think Morisot is obscure either -- 10 hits in the Archive, with many of them describing her as "first female impressionist" (so knowing the painting itself wasn't really necessary, IMO, when given "cofounder"). Perhaps my opponent was assuming it was Cassatt, so only gave me a point for it :( , but it was enough to give me my third victory of the season (yeah, MD 13 and I can still count 'em on one hand :lol: )
The "10 hits in the archive" figure is a little misleading, though, because only three times have contestants been asked to give Morisot's name as the response to the clue -- and all three times the clue was a bottom-of-the-board DJ-round clue. So the J! writers haven't historically expected Morisot to be well-known to the show's contestants.

Oh, and I hadn't heard of her, so I think she's obscure. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vermonter wrote:So which question was supposed to cause the uproar?
Cat mentioned earlier he thought the villagers would storm the castle because hand treadles exist but that didn't come to be.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:
Vermonter wrote:So which question was supposed to cause the uproar?
Cat mentioned earlier he thought the villagers would storm the castle because hand treadles exist but that didn't come to be.
I did a search for "hand treadle" and there are lots of hits referring to treadle machines and hand crank machines, but I haven't found anything mentioning a "hand treadle."
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

So, how many other people got question 6 due to Matt Jackson?
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Lampy wrote:
boson wrote:I was so sure that the "only historical importance and very few Jews living there now" part of the clue referred to the Warsaw ghetto that, not only did I guess Poland, I also gave my opponent 0 points for it. If I were to do a video like Lampy it would be to set a bad example.
Tomorrow you may get to see my parenting skills, so I may be doing the same.
Just wondering, Lampy, do you usually breeze through the questions that fast if you are actually playing? Or do you take a look, mull them over for part of the day, and then come back to them? Just curious.