Tuesday, December 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Harvard at $400?
Still unanswered.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Still unanswered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_Pudding_Club
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Still unanswered.
You know there's this thing call Google, right?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Still unanswered.
So I'm supposed to know Harvard entirely from some obscure ancient club that has only come up twice? I was expecting, you know, something a LOT more obvious.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Still unanswered.
So I'm supposed to know Harvard entirely from some obscure ancient club that has only come up twice? I was expecting, you know, something a LOT more obvious.
Yes, well, what you find obvious and what others find obvious ain't ever exactly been similar...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Still unanswered.
I'm not even in the US and have only lived in Canada for 11 years - and I knew it. Back-of-my-mind knowledge, probably gleaned from either a bio of someone who went to Harvard, or a novel in which it was mentioned. I'd say it's not that obscure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CailinGaoilge wrote:I'm not even in the US and have only lived in Canada for 11 years - and I knew it. Back-of-my-mind knowledge, probably gleaned from either a bio of someone who went to Harvard, or a novel in which it was mentioned. I'd say it's not that obscure.
And yet you say it was in the back of your mind and have no idea where you learned it. Because that means "not that obscure", as do <10 hits in the archive plus an absolutely pitiful, barely page-long Wikipedia article without a single source.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:I'm not even in the US and have only lived in Canada for 11 years - and I knew it. Back-of-my-mind knowledge, probably gleaned from either a bio of someone who went to Harvard, or a novel in which it was mentioned. I'd say it's not that obscure.
And yet you say it was in the back of your mind and have no idea where you learned it. Because that means "not that obscure", as do <10 hits in the archive plus an absolutely pitiful, barely page-long Wikipedia article without a single source.
But you're still missing the point. No-one can actively know very large numbers of facts, so we all rely on connections, gut instinct, informed/educated guesses and that niggle in the back of our minds that tells us maybe we know this. I'm not planning to apply to be on Jeopardy! - I'm very much not Jeopardy! material - so I don't do the kind of structured preparation the serious quizzers do, but I do get a lot of questions right every day. And that's not from studying, but from having a reasonably broad general knowledge (some topics such as north American sport and areas of science aside), making connections, and going with that niggle in the back of my mind. I might not always be right, but when I'm wrong I've then got a new connection which might in future lead me to the right answer.
Golf

Post by Golf »

In the first clue of a colleges and universities category, answer Harvard. The most famous (and oldest) university in the nation. Simple concept that can be applied to tons of categories.

It's that simple if the clue seems to be lacking a ToM. Which of course this one was not.

Also, might want to not be so demanding when one of your many questions goes unanswered. Kind of like when people get pissy when a game hasn't been archived. It has the opposite effect, makes people not want to comply.
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

It seems to me that perhaps the "photon" response merited a "be more specific please".
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

dhkendall wrote:Curious how the rest of the board did on them.
I laughed when the category was revealed, then fortunately didn't have to explain myself. I ran it and thought it was pretty easy, even for someone like me who doesn't know that much about national anthems.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I'll agree with you that the Hasty Pudding Club may be too obscure for a top row clue, but I can't see it being any lower than $1,200.

But you really go through a lot of machinations to justify your not knowing things. When you see something on the show you've never heard of why don't you write it down and research it later rather than coming here and complaining how obscure it it?
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Archivists wrote: Alex Trebek: Alex Maggio is a writer whose wife is an actress, and this past season, we saw the last episode of a very popular series called Mad Men. Your wife had a cameo in that.

Alex Maggio: Yes, she did. She played a secretary on that show for the last two seasons.
Um, Alex #1: two seasons as a regular does not a cameo make. And nice restraint/curse avoidance by Alex #2.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Still unanswered.
TPH, your intellectual laziness is surpassed only by your lack of curiosity! LOL @ expecting Boardies to look up stuff and teach you these tasty little tidbits; "What is Hasty Pudding?"

Hasty History:
Spoiler
On September 1st, 1795 twenty-one Juniors from Harvard College crowded into the dorm room of Nymphas Hatch and together founded the Hasty Pudding Club. As part of the Club’s original constitution, the Members pledged to "cultivate the social affections and cherish the feelings of friendship & patriotism […] ". But there was another provision within that original charter that proved even more important to the our founding. At the turn of the 18th century, Harvard dining halls were notorious for serving unappetizing meals. Taking matters into their own hands, the Pudding’s founders mandated that “the members in alphabetical order shall provide a pot of hasty-pudding for every meeting.” And so it was that each meeting of the Club was heralded by the arrival of two undergraduates lugging an enormous cast iron pot– much like the one drawn by Washington Allston above– across Harvard Yard.

While hasty pudding may seem like an obscure dish in today’s culinary landscape, it was quite traditional to the Puritan palates of post-colonial New England. Originally an English dish made by boiling milk and wheat flour with a dash of salt, the dessert took on a new life in the American colonies. Here, wheat flour was replaced with corn flour. For further flavor, our ancestors took advantage of the booming molasses trade in Boston. The variations on the dish have given it many nicknames from Indian Pudding to mush to the Yellow Goddess. The pervasive porridge became so popular in fact that Joel Barlow wrote an epic poem dedicated to it in 1793, making it into a symbol of patriotism and sociability in the young republic. Of course, we still eat our eponymous dessert to this day– and we’ve discovered that it tastes best with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. But we digress.

The Pudding quickly became beloved by its Members. At this point there were very few clubs on Harvard’s campus. The rules were quite strict, making diversion hard to come by: mandatory study hours, curfews, laws against theater, even restrictions on the number of books you could borrow from the library. Even starting a club was a small act of rebellion, but what else would you expect from college students born during the Revolutionary War? In fact, George Washington– still alive at the time– became an early hero of the Pudding. On February 22nd, 1796 the Pudding had a dinner and celebration with many odes to President Washington delivered to celebrate his birthday. This tradition, now expanded to include the 5 Presidents of the United States, who were once Pudding Members, continues to this day.

Always looking for new ways to make dreary college life more fun, the Pudding meetings quickly grew more elaborate. By 1801, a new constitution decreed that there must be two trials at each meeting. These trials began as simple roasts of fellow Members, consisting largely of joke indictments and ad hominum attacks. They grew quickly into scripted judicial procedures with various Members playing parts. At first, these trials were still concerend with local Cambridge happenings and indiscretions of the College faculty. But as the years went on the Pudding’s court heard cases against Brutus, Queen Elizabeth I, Cortez, and even the study of mathematics. In 1837, the Pudding took on the case Abby Roe v. Richard and started a tradition from which we never turned back on. The case was a relatively common trial of break of promise. However, when the Member playing Abby Roe arrived –played by none other than James Russell Lowell– he was dressed from head to toe as a woman. Drag had finally found it’s home amongst our Members.

It was only seven years later that the most monumental shift in Pudding history occurred. The next Pudding meeting was scheduled to be in the room of Lemuel Hayward. Hoping to surprise the Club, he took a small group of Members into his confidence. His plan was to eschew the usual mock trial format of meetings. Instead, this covert group would stage a musical in Hayward’s room. In the days leading up to the meeting, the clandestine cohort made their own costumes, built sets, constructed footlights, and learned the lines to a popular English burlesque. And thus, on Friday the 13th, December 1844 the Members staged Bombasts Furioso and the Hasty Pudding Theatricals were born.
Noted Alumni:
Hasty Pudding Club

Particulars from the list:
Spoiler
John Adams, 1775

Attended First Continental Congress; Signed Declaration of Independence; First US Vice President, 1789; Second US President, 1796

John Quincy Adams, 1788

US Senator; Secretary of State under President James Monroe; Sixth US President, 1825-1829; US Representative

Phillips Brooks, 1855

Clergyman; lyricist of “O Little Town of Bethlehem”; namesake of Phillips Brooks House Associtation

Performed in the Pudding; It is rumored that he was cast for his height (he was around 6 foot 3)

Henry Hobson Richardson, 1859

Architect; designed Trinity Church, First Baptist Chruch, and Sever Hall amongst others; invented Richardson Romanesque style

Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1861

Served on the US Supreme Court for 30 years; Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court

Performed in three Pudding productions, including 1860’s Raising the Wind

William Randolph Hearst, 1885 (did not graduate)

Newspaper, publishing and business magnate; Publisher of The San Francisco Examiner and The New York Journal; US Representative

Played a character named Pretzel; was expelled from Harvard after presenting his teachers with chamber pots instead of pudding pots, was expunged from all Harvard records

George Santayana, 1886

Famous man-of-letters and historian: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” and “Only the dead have seen the end of war.”

Played Lady Elfrida in 1885’s Robin Hood

JP Morgan, Jr., 1886

Helped to rescue the America economy during the Banking Panic of 1907; Prominent financier and investment banker

Business manager for 1889’s The Duenna; Ironically, given his later financial successes, nearly bankrupted the Pudding while he was the manager

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1904

32nd President of the United States; New York State Senator; Assistant Secretary of the Navy; New York Governor

Erich Segal, 1958

Wrote both novel and screenplay version of Love Story

Wrote HPT 110: The Big Fizz

Stockard Channing, 1965

Three-time Emmy and one-time Tony award winning actress; played Betty Rizzo in Grease film and First Lady Abby Bartlet in The West Wing

Tech member in HPT 116: William Had The Words; got her last name from marrying Pudding Member, Walter Channing, Played a chorus girl in HPT 59:Catnippers; Treasurer

Five Presidents, including Washington, were made honorary members.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!