Wednesday, February 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Moisterizing (12) vs. Moisterizer (11) stunk as the incorrect response seemed to be the more common term.
They asked for "this kind of cream", so I was thinking that the correct response was going to be an adjective, but I guess a moisturizer is also a kind of cream, so you could really get away with a noun or an adjective in that case, as long as it was 12 letters wrong. However, if the category was "Spell the 12 Letter Word", I'm afraid Mr. Barrett would have been in trouble on this particular clue.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:I got Ontario from the west to east mnemonic about Mata Hari.
Would you care to share this one, because the only Mata Hari mnemonic I can find with a google search involves the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Seems Like Mata Hari Picks Targets Carefully=Statue of Zeus, Lighthouse, Mausoleum, Hanging Gardens, Pyramids, Temple, Colossus of Rhodes.
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Interesting wink-and-nod signal by Charlie during the think music. I was thoroughly convinced the response was "almanac"--at least I'm in good company. Weston's "Give me" phrasing sounded just awful in the African-Americans category. Ugh!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got Ontario from the west to east mnemonic about Mata Hari.
Would you care to share this one, because the only Mata Hari mnemonic I can find with a google search involves the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Seems Like Mata Hari Picks Targets Carefully=Statue of Zeus, Lighthouse, Mausoleum, Hanging Gardens, Pyramids, Temple, Colossus of Rhodes.
The Great Lakes, from west to east, roughly run Superior, Michigan, Huron, Ontario and Erie. Or Sexy Mata Hari Enjoys Oranges. (You can substitute another O word there if you like, but I'm trying to keep it PG).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Moisterizing (12) vs. Moisterizer (11) stunk as the incorrect response seemed to be the more common term.
They asked for "this kind of cream", so I was thinking that the correct response was going to be an adjective, but I guess a moisturizer is also a kind of cream, so you could really get away with a noun or an adjective in that case, as long as it was 12 letters wrong. However, if the category was "Spell the 12 Letter Word", I'm afraid Mr. Barrett would have been in trouble on this particular clue.
Ha! At least I'm consistant. ;) If I had needed to spell moisture it would have been no problem. Funny how I didn't spot it with two attempts. Thanks for the catch.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't think of moisturizer/ing at all. I get eczema so bad that on some days, I look like one of those cut-away bodies they use in science class to show off the muscular system. But i just call the cream hydrocortisone.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:The Great Lakes, from west to east, roughly run Superior, Michigan, Huron, Ontario and Erie. Or Sexy Mata Hari Enjoys Oranges. (You can substitute another O word there if you like, but I'm trying to keep it PG).
Er ... you reversed the order of Ontario and Erie, but your mnemonic saves the day.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Did anyone else say Geneva Accords instead of Geneva Convention(s)? Turns out they're not the same thing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:I briefly considered magazine, going off monthly, but then decided that almanac made more sense as a "storehouse of information".
Like others, I stuck with "almanac" strictly by it sounding like it has Arabic roots. (Al manaq? Have no idea if that's a real Arabic word, but it's going in!) Whereas "magazine" does not. :evil:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously, was "Rolling in the Deep" the ONLY pop song this year that didn't suck?
Nope, that sucks too. Not one good song has been made since 1990, this is a scientific fact.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:The Great Lakes, from west to east, roughly run Superior, Michigan, Huron, Ontario and Erie. Or Sexy Mata Hari Enjoys Oranges. (You can substitute another O word there if you like, but I'm trying to keep it PG).
Er ... you reversed the order of Ontario and Erie, but your mnemonic saves the day.
Err, no he didn't, Ontario is the easternmost, and therefore, O is the last word. This is what tripped up the contestants too.

(The way *I* get them straight is that Erie borders Pennsylvania (Erie, PA, anyone?). Granted this only works with political boundaries drawn on as well, but at least they were today.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I just remember it by "Ontario's the only one that doesn't touch Michigan".
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Like others, I stuck with "almanac" strictly by it sounding like it has Arabic roots. (Al manaq? Have no idea if that's a real Arabic word, but it's going in!) Whereas "magazine" does not. :evil:
Yeah. Me too.
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously, was "Rolling in the Deep" the ONLY pop song this year that didn't suck?
Nope, that sucks too. Not one good song has been made since 1990, this is a scientific fact.
I think you mean 1982.
Bamaman wrote:The Great Lakes, from west to east, roughly run Superior, Michigan, Huron, Ontario and Erie. Or Sexy Mata Hari Enjoys Oranges. (You can substitute another O word there if you like, but I'm trying to keep it PG).
opusthepenguin wrote:Er ... you reversed the order of Ontario and Erie, but your mnemonic saves the day.
dhkendall wrote:Err, no he didn't, Ontario is the easternmost, and therefore, O is the last word. This is what tripped up the contestants too.

(The way *I* get them straight is that Erie borders Pennsylvania (Erie, PA, anyone?). Granted this only works with political boundaries drawn on as well, but at least they were today.)
Actually, yes he did. He put Erie as the easternmost. But the way I get them straight is by living smack-dab between Lakes Erie and Ontario.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Not one good song has been made since 1990, this is a scientific fact.
I think you mean 1982.
What about this one?

Couldn't resist.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Monthly" was the only thing steering me away from almanac, but the pull of al-/Arabic, "storehouse of information," and a year when Ben Franklin was a twentysomething was too strong. I just explained away the "monthly" part as how often it was published at that time. I wouldn't be surprised if this did worse in the poll than the recent Islands FJ. All I can do now is hope the last wild card score is $21,600, so I won't feel like Charlie got ripped off.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Not one good song has been made since 1990, this is a scientific fact.
I think you mean 1982.
What about this one?Couldn't resist.
Anyone who didn't see where that link was going, pet your guide dog.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

I have to admit I never even considered almanac for FJ. My mind went right to "monthly" and "storehouse of information". "Monthly" pointed me to "magazine". Ithen asked myself if "magazine" could mean "storehouse of information" and decided that since the other meaning of a magazine is the thing that holds bullets, it just very well might so that was my answer. If almanac had crossed my mind, I would have probably rejected it because I think of almanacs as being yearly not monthly.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Err, no he didn't, Ontario is the easternmost, and therefore, O is the last word. This is what tripped up the contestants too.
Yes. O is the last word in the mnemonic. Hence my statement, "your mnemonic saves the day." Now, if I may direct your attention to Bamaman's first sentence and invite you to compare the order propounded therein to the order offered by the mnemonic, I think you may find a discrepancy, no?

(BTW, my earlier post mistakenly left in one too many layers of attribution. I made it look as though jeff6286 provided the mnemonic which I now attribute, correctly, to Bamaman above. I have also gone back and edited my earlier post to fix this error. But that leaves you in the position of looking as though you've inexplicably tossed jeff6286 into the mix, even though my post got everything right. It hardly seems fair that you should get the credit for my stupidity. So I recommend you fix your post quoting my post so that you quote what my post should have said and now does say instead of what it did say and now doesn't.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Much like Yogi Berra, I never said a lot of the things that everybody is said to have said that I said...or something like that.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

xxaaaxx wrote:None of them ever seemed to shorten a category, always, "I'll have xyz for 400, please", and we finish both rounds without a warning. Meanwhile, faster-paced rounds get warnings with 7 clues remaining, and leave 2-3 unfinished. Grumble grumble...OK it's out of my system for the rest of the tournament.

So, I sorta muttered 'magazine' under my breath, clinging to the "monthly" bit, and resisting the urge to say something like 'archive' instead (especially since I thought magazine was Italian in origin). That was...very unsatisfactory.
I'm glad at least some people got this, too! I was starting to think that not only did people not read magazines, but they'd forgotten ever having knowledge of their existence! 'Monthly' got it for me, and I equated a gun's ammo-storing magazine with a printed magazine 'storing' info, even though 'storehouse of information' sounded both pretentious, and similar to the tortured syntax found in instructions and any other writing that has been translated from a foreign language into 'quasi-English': 'Please enjoying most happy storehouse times!'
Almanac does 'sound' more Arabic...but, after concluding that they're looking for some kind of publication what other kind of publication best fits a monthly schedule? OK, the pedants who said 'take-out pizza menus' may have a point.;-)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

It would be funny if almanac was of Sicilian origin.
Sage on the Hudson

Subscribing to the Arabic origin

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I agree, the "give me X for $Y00" was annoying after about, oh, the second time he said it.
It's not nearly as annoying as the tired cliche, "Let's make it a true daily double."

dhkendall wrote:Like others, I stuck with "almanac" strictly by it sounding like it has Arabic roots. (Al manaq? Have no idea if that's a real Arabic word, but it's going in!) Whereas "magazine" does not. :evil:
It makes sense that magazine would come from a language other than English, considering that the French word for store is magasin, the Italian magazzino, and the Russian maгaзин.
Last edited by Sage on the Hudson on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.