Wednesday, December 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Seriously? I'm not sure there has been a piece of popular culture that has been more ubiquitous over the past two years than Frozen.
I got as far as, "The girl from Frozen. No clue what her name is."
Frozen was one of the movies I thought of. But none of them triggered a name.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Seriously? I'm not sure there has been a piece of popular culture that has been more ubiquitous over the past two years than Frozen.
Yup. Same here.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yup. Same here.
Clearly, neither of you has seen the inside of a Toys "R" Us or a Target in the past 20 months. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Chandreyi seems to have a Julia-like gift of self-possession; not visibly rattled by her early miss nor by a successful $5,000 guess on a Daily Double. Could serve her well in the game(s) ahead.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Budphrey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yup. Same here.
Clearly, neither of you has seen the inside of a Toys "R" Us or a Target in the past 20 months. This is not necessarily a bad thing.
I went on a vacation to Walt Disney World two weeks ago; it is truly the happiest place on Earth, so long as your definition of happiness involves having Frozen and Star Wars memorabilia available for purchase at every turn.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Budphrey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Yup. Same here.
I am in the grocery business and have seen plenty of Frozen related products such as cereal boxes, fruit snacks, kiddie bowls, etc. I am sure I've heard or read her name a number of times, it just did not come to me. I also didn't try very hard to think of it, but that probably wouldn't have helped.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

silverscreentest wrote:The clue asked for a novel written by James Hilton and the correct response was "What is Shangri-La?" But the novel was Lost Horizon where Shangri-La appears.
IN RESIDENCE $1000: The presidential retreat today known as Camp David was first named this by FDR after a James Hilton novel

Yes, the clue could have been worded better. What I would not concede is that it was a stumper because the players knew Shangri-La, but were confused that it was not a Hilton novel. This and Angler were the no-gets that surprised me.

The Walton work with the first words of the title given are absolutely first box. Or, if not, then contestants need to watch the show more before appearing.

IN RESIDENCE $400: With or without ghosts, a place regularly visited or inhabited can be called by this "scary" name

I had haunted house and will take the neg along with Chandreyi, but I would never have judged her overall prospects in the game based on that or the sell like "hot potatoes" miss.

The FJ! clue category had me thinking royal Charlotte, GoT, Katniss, and that vampire work many of you don't like. The clue drove me crazy as I instantly wrote Elsa and spent the rest of the time dreading it was the other princess as I could not recall Anna. [Whew!]

Chandreyi Ghosh shares her name with an actress, so I hope that is on her Alex time card if there is a good mix-up story.

Yes, blame to Joe for not seeing all of the NHL clues. The ladies getting the clues and consistently immediately switching out was predictable each time it happened.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

9021amyers wrote:"Manse" comes before "mansion" in the dictionary; would the judges have had to accept that?
I had manse too; it's nearer to mansion than manor. Given the third definition in Merriam-Webster, I'd say it would have to be acceptable:
Full Definition of manse

1 archaic : the dwelling of a householder

2 : the residence of a minister; especially : the house of a Presbyterian minister

3 : a large imposing residence
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Ran Edible Expressions.

Although I got the Lach Trash, I thought Compleat Angler was tough for the top box.

Goshen was another LT for me.

Only 0/5 was Residence. "Manor" is yet another one of those words that I kinda vaguely know, but don't know-know.

I use Skype daily and the clue sailed right over my head.

"Hmm, what was a recent popular animated movie? Brave? Crap, what was that girl in Brave? Kiara? No, it was something with an A in it though. Um, Tianna? Nope, that was The Princess and the Frog. Um... what was the girl in Inside Out? Never mind, that was this year, not 2014. Big Hero 6? Nope, I doubt Honey Lemon or GoGo have become popular names. Come on, this is so freaking obvious, Hammer. Think! You can do this, animation is your wheelhouse!" [bom bom] "Nope, still nothing. Go on, tell me, it's going to be painfully obvious... oohhhhhh, DUH." Seriously, how the HELL did my brain think of nearly every Disney movie but the right one?
That was Merida, if you were thinking of Brave. Riley was the girl from Inside Out.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Category 13 wrote:
MitchO wrote:
Golf wrote:A sports category left incomplete, shocker.
I blame Joe, for abandoning the category and then not coming back to it until LTAM. I started rooting against him for that.
Fitting that he came in third, for that lousy FJ wager.
Yeah...he was probably trying hard to get into first and hoped that the leader didn't get final, unfortunately that didn't work as he missed FJ! and the leader got it. All he could have done was bet $1,200 and got him second. I was completely aghast by that wager. I just don't get it...
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
IN RESIDENCE $1000: The presidential retreat today known as Camp David was first named this by FDR after a James Hilton novel

Yes, the clue could have been worded better. What I would not concede is that it was a stumper because the players knew Shangri-La, but were confused that it was not a Hilton novel. This and Angler were the no-gets that surprised me.
Yes, I was surprised that those two were stand-and-stares (especially that old J! chestnut, The Compleat Angler), and I agree that the Shangri-La clue was poorly worded. Other than that, Chandreyi played a hell of a game; congrats to her on a most impressive victory. She had some good gets.

I shocked myself by getting the FJ. I never saw Frozen, but I figured that had to be the animated film referenced in the clue. I thought to myself, "I have no idea who any of the characters in that movie were; just throw out a Swedish name just to say something." But my unconscious mind must have retained something from the heavy press that the movie received (including the whole Adele Dazeem brouhaha), because the Swedish name I wrote down "just to say something" was "Elsa." (During the think music I was torn between "Ilsa" and "Elsa," as "Ilsa" somehow sounded more Swedish to me, but something was pulling me towards "Elsa," and I stuck with my initial guess.) I was elated when I learned during the reveal that my guess actually turned out to be correct.

And, TPH, that's why you should always guess something, and never throw in the towel.

On the "tech names" DD, I had NHO a company called "Asus," but I knew that Bellerephon was Pegasus's rider, so I reluctantly subtracted the "Peg" from that horse's name to get to Asus. (My research indicates that it's a Taiwanese PC manufacturer that ranked 5th in sales globally in 2014. Are they that well-known in the U.S., though? Am I the only one here who was unfamiliar with them?)

In the same category, I never knew that hotmail got its name by adding vowels to "html." That's pretty cool, in a nerdy kind of way. :)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Twenty correct today, ten in each round, plus an insta-Final makes blackjack. After being disappointed by the game quality post-ToC, I'm much more satisfied with the intensity of the contests this last week or two. A game champion in Theresa bows out to a worthy successor in Chandreyi after an intense joust of trivia, and all is right in the world.

For the record, don't visit Jeopardy on Reddit unless you want to read perverts talking about Theresa. I honestly don't know why I go there anymore. Their moderators need to fix this crap.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

hbomb1947 wrote:On the "tech names" DD, I had NHO a company called "Asus," but I knew that Bellerephon was Pegasus's rider, so I reluctantly subtracted the "Peg" from that horse's name to get to Asus. (My research indicates that it's a Taiwanese PC manufacturer that ranked 5th in sales globally in 2014. Are they that well-known in the U.S., though? Am I the only one here who was unfamiliar with them?)
I had an Asus laptop a few years ago. It was cheap and laggy and generally a disappointment, but that may just be Windows 8 talking. Thankfully it crapped out just as this 17-inch HP bad boy hit QVC, and the switch was mostly painless.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

hbomb1947 wrote:On the "tech names" DD, I had NHO a company called "Asus," but I knew that Bellerephon was Pegasus's rider, so I reluctantly subtracted the "Peg" from that horse's name to get to Asus. (My research indicates that it's a Taiwanese PC manufacturer that ranked 5th in sales globally in 2014. Are they that well-known in the U.S., though? Am I the only one here who was unfamiliar with them?)
I've had an Asus Zenbook for a couple of years and absolutely love it, and have recommended the same model to a friend in NJ - yes, Asus is widely available and popular in the US.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Hmm, what was a recent popular animated movie? Brave? Crap, what was that girl in Brave? Kiara? No, it was something with an A in it though. Um, Tianna? Nope, that was The Princess and the Frog. Um... what was the girl in Inside Out? Never mind, that was this year, not 2014. Big Hero 6? Nope, I doubt Honey Lemon or GoGo have become popular names. Come on, this is so freaking obvious, Hammer. Think! You can do this, animation is your wheelhouse!" [bom bom] "Nope, still nothing. Go on, tell me, it's going to be painfully obvious... oohhhhhh, DUH." Seriously, how the HELL did my brain think of nearly every Disney movie but the right one?
That was Merida, if you were thinking of Brave. Riley was the girl from Inside Out.
Both of which I knew, but could not come up in 30 seconds either. I just started in the wrong area, and only got wronger and wronger in my vain attempts to navigate to the correct response. Epic fail. This SHOULD have been super-duper-hyper-ultra-mega instaget. What the hell happened?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

That's two days in a row when I knew exactly what they wanted for FJ but I couldn't think of the right
Spoiler
name
. I said Ella, though it didn't feel right. And wasn't.

My video card is an ASUS, and I considered the ASUS ME572C when I was looking at tablets at the beginning of the year. I'm pretty sure they made at least one generation of the Nexus 7 for Google, too. I still couldn't come up with it in time, though I'd read that about the name. It even took me a couple seconds to realize that was what Chandreyi had said, because I've always pronounced it just like Pegasus without the peg.

LT: angler, Joy Division
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

I got tricked into seeing that movie by sleep-deprived friends with small children who swore it was good. Apparently my efforts to blot it out of my memory were more effective than I thought! I could only think of Merida. Now I have to go drink eggnog until I've forgotten it again.
BJON
Contributor

Post by BJON »

silverscreentest wrote:The clue asked for a novel written by James Hilton and the correct response was "What is Shangri-La?" But the novel was Lost Horizon where Shangri-La appears.
It just wouldn't be a game without at least one badly-written clue.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

MarkBarrett wrote:

I'm still not clear why the clue is valid. Could you provide an alternate similar example?

Technically, the Coyotes changed their location to Arizona from Phoenix just a few weeks before the name of their home was changed to Gila River Arena. But they were right to give Theresa credit because the correct team is associated with the right building even if the names don't quite match.

Astrid wasn't a bad guess because that was a major character in How to Train Your Dragon.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

silverscreentest wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

I'm still not clear why the clue is valid. Could you provide an alternate similar example?
I agree with silverscreentest. It reminds me of the
Spoiler
Formula 1
FJ from early November, in that there was no correct response to the clue as written. I got Shangri-La because I knew what the clue was going for (in fact, I never stopped to notice the inaccuracy, despite the fact that I recently downloaded Lost Horizon to my Kindle), and I'm pretty sure I had heard that fact about Camp David. But if I had blurted out Lost Horizon (as improbable as that may have been, since "Lost Horizon" would be a bizarre name for a Presidential retreat), I would not have scored it at home as a neg. And had a contestant negged with it on the show, I would have anticipated a reversal. However, I do agree with Mark's hypothesis that the reason the clue was a stand-and-stare was that none of the contestants could connect Hilton with the novel about Shangri-La (although if any of them shows up here, I would love to hear if that was what actually happened).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
9021amyers wrote:"Manse" comes before "mansion" in the dictionary; would the judges have had to accept that?
I had manse too; it's nearer to mansion than manor. Given the third definition in Merriam-Webster, I'd say it would have to be acceptable:
Full Definition of manse

1 archaic : the dwelling of a householder

2 : the residence of a minister; especially : the house of a Presbyterian minister

3 : a large imposing residence
Count me as a "manse-r", too. Thanks for looking that up!