Monday, December 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Top 40 Songs

The first two top 40 hits for this late singer -- one in 1971, the other in 1973 -- ended up becoming official state songs.
Spoiler
Who is John Denver? Dee and Stephen had Ray Charles.
Dee Daigle: $8,200-$2,401=$5,799

Patricia Franco: $10,000+$6,401=now a 1-day champion with $16,401

Stephen Byrd: $10,600-$9,401=$1,199
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSXpert

Re: Monday, December 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OSXpert »

Geesh. I felt pretty good with Ray Charles, even though 1971 felt a little late and all I could think of was "Georgia on my mind."

Huge come-from-behind victory - congrats!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Instaget for me as he is my favorite singer.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gamawire wrote:Instaget for me as he is my favorite singer.
One of my favorites, too, although my first stop was Ray Charles. Took me a few seconds to rule him out and get to Denver.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Patricia on her win. I had 37 correct responses including six triple stumpers: Mongols, Cannonball Express, arterial, Austrian Alps, Voyager, and Christopher Lloyd. Instaget FJ.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

FJ was an instaget for me and I wish that I had thought to use it for my Trivial Person of the Week contest on Facebook.

Excellent game tonight by all three players.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I knew Charles was too early for the years in the clue, but I couldn't think of anything better within thirty seconds. Of course, I then felt stupid when the correct answer was revealed.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Is anyone else wondering if David Kendall has as much knowledge of state songs as he does national anthems?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

39R for goats but no get on FJ, another one gone down South with GA on my mind, couldn't shake it off even knowing it was incorrect, don't u just hate that!?!
LT: Casey Jones' Cannonball Express; septic shock, Mean Arterial Pressure; Brenner Pass is in Alps (drove over it many times!); salty dog = grapefruit juice.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I was going through "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible" last night and sent this photo to a few LLama friends:

+$2000… if only review were always that rewarding.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Another Ray Charles here. I just know I'll get the chance to check off that guess on this week's poll. :D And yes, I could only think of the Georgia song, but in 30 second he was all I could come up with (the only other state songs I could even come up with in that time frame were "My Old Kentucky Home" and "Maryland, my Maryland"; and I couldn't think of the singer of either one -- and with good reason, since both of those turn out to be far too old to have been originally recorded when they were written). If I'd had more time, I might have gotten to Mr. Denver; then again, I never knew that "Take Me Home, Country Roads" was the official state song of West Virginia.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see 3 of the Veep clues and 2 of the mountain range clues (was one of those uncovered mountain range clues a DD? And also in that category, would my response of just "Alps" have been sufficient for the Brenner pass TS for which Alex gave the correct response as "Austrian Alps"?

Not that it ended up mattering since he missed FJ, but Stephen should have gone TDD on his "tea" DD, early in the SJ round. He had $4,000 and his opponents had $400 and -$200 respectively, at the time, so there would have been no real downside to missing if he had bet it all. The $2,000 he left on the table could have ended up making a difference.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Ray Charles here as well. I was thinking "Georgia on my Mind and, um, probably some other song."

EDITED TO ADD:

Now that I read the clue again more carefully, I notice that it says "the FIRST two top 40 hits for this late singer..."

Somehow I whizzed right by that during the broadcast. Which is understandable -- 30 seconds isn't always a lot of time, and sometimes you just have to "squint" at the clue and ignore some details.

But this time, it was relevant that this singer first hit the top 40 in the 1970s.
Last edited by skullturf on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

18/27 in J!, which is surprising with no runs. Hornets, Holly Golightly, and quiet cost me 5/5 there.

Strangely, I was clueless in the top two 2 Y's but got the bottom three with ease.

3/5 in Star Trek was better than I thought I'd do. I was gunshy on Christopher Lloyd, but no way was I getting Voyager.

Nurses and Sistine Chapel went entirely over my head. I couldn't even figure out what Nurses for $400 was trying to say.

Hmm. Ray Charles? Nah, 1971 seems too late for Georgia on My Mind, and I can't think of what could go with it. Are there other state s-- Rocky Mountain High, Take Me Home Country Roads, John Denver, done. Why can't you do that more often, brain?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Grave (3), Teams (5), Kitty (4), Tea (1), Sound (4), Veep (3)
Range (1), Transportation (4), 2 Y's (0), Star Trek (5), Nurse (1), Sistine (1)

Lach Trash: "Mongols", "Voyager", "Christopher Lloyd"

First thought was Ray Charles, but I knew "Georgia on My Mind" was earlier than the 1970's, then I remembered "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as well as Denver being prominent in the 70's, so I went with him.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Glad I thought of John Denver before Ray Charles.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Nice assortment of categories for me in this game. Irritated that we didn't see that last Grave Error clue and the rest of the Veeps.
I got Kansas City, Grapefruit Juice and Cannonball Express.

Good wagering in FJ, although Dee went too soft with the $2401. She could have bet up to $4600 and still won on a TS, provided 2nd place makes the correct wager, which Patricia did.
I was hoping for Dee to win again, but that FJ clue was too easy to be a TS. Instaget for me, but without the years given, I might not have gotten it.
Since Patricia demonstrated she knows how to wager from 2nd place, I'm good with her being the champ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Got Denver right away and never looked back. Spent most of the time trying to remember his other song as West Virginia was also an instaget, got Colorado (the state, not the exact title) before time was up.

Did Alex say there was half a minute left in the first round?

I was also bummed we did not finish the Veep category. Kansas City should have been at the bottom of the franchise moves category as they are the only team who aren't still in their new home and haven't played there in almost 50 years.

I think Stephen was at my Atlanta audition, I recall there were a number of South Carolinians there and he looks vaguely familiar.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Remembering the FJ from this game helped me get tonight's.