Familiar face on Millionaire

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Familiar face on Millionaire

Post by Bob78164 »

Watch today's Who Wants to Be a Millionaire to see a familiar face, College Tournament champion and UToC semifinalist Pam Mueller. --Bob
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Familiar face on Millionaire

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
Pam runs through round one with Ask the Audience remaining. She has $63,100, jumping over two questions, one of which was essentially to name the show that debuted on radio in 1945 and moved to TV in 1947. Most of us J! players and watchers would know Meet the Press is the longest running US Tv show of all time, but Pam must have forgotten it under the lights. SHe returns on Monday going for $100K with ATA remaining.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Thanks for the heads up, Bob! Just started watching it off my DVR and WOW, I may never delete this! Her hair still looks amazing.
When was her tournnament, like last year? Because she doesn't appear to have aged much.
No mention in her intro about her J! appearance. Is that SOP ?

ETA: Maybe she didn't tell anyone about J! The way she reasons out her answers is so atypical of the usual idiot they have as a player, the producers are probably starting to get worried. "Uh oh, we screwed up, she may actually, like, know shit!"
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Paucle wrote:Thanks for the heads up, Bob! Just started watching it off my DVR and WOW, I may never delete this! Her hair still looks amazing.
When was her tournnament, like last year? Because she doesn't appear to have aged much.
No mention in her intro about her J! appearance. Is that SOP ?

ETA: Maybe she didn't tell anyone about J! The way she reasons out her answers is so atypical of the usual idiot they have as a player, the producers are probably starting to get worried. "Uh oh, we screwed up, she may actually, like, know shit!"
I promise you that they knew about it. The application asks for all past game show appearances, and also, when Ken Basin made his run to the million-dollar question on the last show hosted by Regis, she was in the "relationship seat" and he spoke about her Jeopardy! success.

There will almost certainly be extensive discussion of her performance on the Millionaire Bored. --Bob
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Well, not to cast aspersions, because Pam handled herself beautifully. Still ...
Spoiler
If I ever make it to WWTBAM, I really really really hope I get a set of questions that easy in the first round.
To be fair, she faced unusual pressure because
Spoiler
she came on as a contestant right after the guys from The Deadliest Catch copped $100 grand for charity, and it would have been pretty embarrassing to flame out at that point.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Budphrey wrote:Well, not to cast aspersions, because Pam handled herself beautifully. Still ...
Spoiler
If I ever make it to WWTBAM, I really really really hope I get a set of questions that easy in the first round.
Spoiler
she came on as a contestant right after the guys from The Deadliest Catch copped $100 grand for charity, and it would have been pretty embarrassing to flame out at that point.
Bud, I thought she wasted one jump, but the other one was a major WTF?? question. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I had only a 20% chance of getting it right, not an easy task when there are 4 answers. I didn't feel I could confidently eliminate any of them. Can't remember the question, I just knew I hadn't a prayer.

As to the deadliest catch guys, I think they caved too soon! I think had they sussed it out a bit longer they'd've realized that there are only two reasons, really, that someone ...
Spoiler
blushes: shame or embarrassment- and animals feel neither!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Well, not to cast aspersions, because Pam handled herself beautifully. Still ...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bud, I thought she wasted one jump, but the other one was a major WTF?? question. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I had only a 20% chance of getting it right, not an easy task when there are 4 answers. I didn't feel I could confidently eliminate any of them. Can't remember the question, I just knew I hadn't a prayer.

As to the deadliest catch guys, I think they caved too soon! I think had they sussed it out a bit longer they'd've realized that there are only two reasons, really, that someone ...
Spoiler
blushes: shame or embarrassment- and animals feel neither!
The one that had to be jumped by I would suspect 90%+ of contestants was about the Olympics until 1952 with I think
Architecture
Literature
Music
Cuisine
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Thanks Mark! Yeah, that one flummoxed me. I thought I knew the Olympics history pretty well, and I never knew ANY of those disciplines were involved in the competition. I was torn between the first two, because at least the latter two you could, you know, do something live. Watching someone type out a story or draw straight lines doesn't seem very exciting to me, but could you imagine a hibachi competition? Dicing an onion? How about yodeling? Holding a High note? That's competitive! Nope, I'd've been torn between choosing one of the first two.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Paucle wrote:Thanks Mark! Yeah, that one flummoxed me. I thought I knew the Olympics history pretty well, and I never knew ANY of those disciplines were involved in the competition. I was torn between the first two, because at least the latter two you could, you know, do something live. Watching someone type out a story or draw straight lines doesn't seem very exciting to me, but could you imagine a hibachi competition? Dicing an onion? How about yodeling? Holding a High note? That's competitive! Nope, I'd've been torn between choosing one of the first two.
That one was not so bad for me because I knew Pierre de Coubertin won a gold medal in one of those disciplines.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Day two:
Spoiler
Pam was given for 100k (essentially) What bottled TA Edison artifact can be found at the Henry Ford Museum?
a) little toe b) his breath
c) drop of sweat d) lock of hair

Pam, like me, got caught up in that whole "Genius is..." quote and locked on "c." She "final answer"ed it, I was afraid, when Meredith "Sorried" her, that it was d, as hair was one of his many light bulb filament tried-and-failed attempts. But nope, it was actually breath, BION.
Lost her 63k banked, walked with 25 k.
Last edited by Paucle on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
I fell for it too. I was vaguely leaning toward breath when I came up with the "99% perspiration" quote, and then I couldn't be steered away from sweat. I hope the writer of the question did that on purpose, just because I like it better as a brilliant red herring than as a happy accident.
Spoiler about the contestant afterward:
Spoiler
I had a Ken Jennings flashback when the guy after Pam got a question asking which of these things that sounds like a dating website for women can be purchased at Home Depot, with "dude rake" and "man hoe" as two of the choices.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote:
Paucle wrote:Thanks Mark! Yeah, that one flummoxed me. I thought I knew the Olympics history pretty well, and I never knew ANY of those disciplines were involved in the competition. I was torn between the first two, because at least the latter two you could, you know, do something live. Watching someone type out a story or draw straight lines doesn't seem very exciting to me, but could you imagine a hibachi competition? Dicing an onion? How about yodeling? Holding a High note? That's competitive! Nope, I'd've been torn between choosing one of the first two.
That one was not so bad for me because I knew Pierre de Coubertin won a gold medal in one of those disciplines.
Yes, but the question was which one wasn't an Olympic competition. Much trickier.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Paucle wrote:Day two:
Spoiler
Pam was given for 100k (essentially) What bottled TA Edison artifact can be found at the Henry Ford Museum?
a) little toe b) his breath
c) drop of sweat d) lock of hair

Pam, like me, got caught up in that whole "Genius is..." quote and locked on "c." She "final answer"ed it, I was afraid, when Meredith "Sorried" her, that it was d, as hair was one of his many light bulb filament tried-and-failed attempts. But nope, it was actually breath, BION.
Lost her 63k banked, walked with 25 k.
Don't kids read The Straight Dope anymore? (URL contains spoiler.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Don't kids read The Straight Dope anymore? (URL contains spoiler.)
Yes, we do, all the time which thanks to you solves the mystery: this factoid was lost/forgotten in the thousands of factoids learned in the intervening quarter century since that one came out.
I vaguely recall that now, and have the same question I had then: what's the provenance? Ford has Edison's last breath? How can he? I have it, here in this jar! Doubt me? Prove me wrong!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Don't kids read The Straight Dope anymore? (URL contains spoiler.)
Yes, we do, all the time which thanks to you solves the mystery: this factoid was lost/forgotten in the thousands of factoids learned in the intervening quarter century since that one came out.
I vaguely recall that now, and have the same question I had then: what's the provenance? Ford has Edison's last breath? How can he? I have it, here in this jar! Doubt me? Prove me wrong!
Oh really? Then what do I have right here in this beach ball???

(Yes, I got Thomas Edison to blow up a beach ball for me on his deathbed. What can I say? I was a big fan.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hey Heels, look who was on Millionaire today: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6651

You still have that avatar handy?

She left with
Spoiler
$1000
The transcript is here: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38839
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

MarkBarrett wrote:She left with
Spoiler
$1000
For the benefit of future contestants, it just goes to show — and this lesson has been repeated over time —
Spoiler
It's baaaaaaaaad juju to make a big thing of your Jeopardy! accomplishments on Millionaire.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:Hey Heels, look who was on Millionaire today: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6651

You still have that avatar handy?

She left with
Spoiler
$1000
The transcript is here: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38839
Spoiler:
Spoiler
Her first question prompted her to comment that it had to involve France, but it was not necessarily where the treaty was signed. She then used one of her two Jump-the-Question passes. This is where I don't like the randomization, where the first could be the hardest (and possibly trickiest) one of the ten. This also makes ask-the-audience hard to gauge. She was briefly shown the unrandomized topic list and the transcriber captured it as level 5 (say equivalent to a $2000 question). In comparison, the one she missed was rated level 9, say equivalent to $25,000.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Budphrey wrote: For the benefit of future contestants, it just goes to show — and this lesson has been repeated over time —
Spoiler
It's baaaaaaaaad juju to make a big thing of your Jeopardy! accomplishments on Millionaire.
Spoiler
It also adds pressure to the first question (see the result). FWIW, I doubt contestants have much latitude as to what is discussed and makes the air. Mere introduced her as a Jeopardy Hall-of-Famer and the show may have chosen that is the most interesting thing in her resume. I was on WWTBAM about nine years ago and don't remember much talk about what would come up except Mere had a card with possible items to discuss.
earendel

Post by earendel »

What was Rebecca's claim to fame that put her in the J! HoF?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."