Monday, January 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7211, 2016-01-11

CONTESTANTS
Julia Cain, a graduate student from Haverford, Pennsylvania
Dom Tassoni, a product marketing manager from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Adam Hoskins, an attorney from Columbia, Missouri (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. And welcome to all of you in our studio today, and to our newcomers, Julia and Dom. Our returning champion, Adam, as you just heard, is an attorney, but he was informed that this is casual Monday, so he is not wearing a suit and a shirt and tie. Nice to have all of you with us. Good luck. Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? And we begin today with these categories. I hope you have fun with them...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
4 LEGS, 1 CLUE (4/5)
NOTORIOUS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WHAT'S IN THE FRIDGE? (5/5)
NATIONAL PARKS (4/5)
CELEBRITY SPOKESPEOPLE (4/5)
WORDS OF NOTE (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that can be formed from the letters in the C major music scale, which means letters from "A" through "G".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Adam: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Dom: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Julia: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adam found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Adam had $400, Dom was scoreless, and Julia was at $200. Adam wagered $1,000.

NOTORIOUS $600: This 1962 film made convicted murderer-turned-ornithologist Robert Stroud a household name
(Adam: I have no idea.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dom: $2,600
Julia: $1,600
Adam: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julia Cain is a graduate student from Pennsylvania. Graduate student in what field of endeavor?

Julia: Higher education.

Alex: Higher education, okay. That doesn't sound very much like what your grandfather used to do in the circus.

Jenn: My--my great-grandfather--

Alex: Great-grandfather?

Jenn: --was a tattooed man in the circus, yes. He--I am, in fact, carney folk. Um, and after he left the circus, he opened a burlesque hotel and was the commissioner of a New Jersey baseball league.

Alex: How about that?

Julia: He was a busy dude.

Alex: A well-rounded individual.

Julia: Yes.

Alex: You've got to be proud of him.

Alex: Okay, Dom Tassoni from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Dom: Yes.

Alex: You have a--a dog...

Dom: Yeah.

Alex: ...that enjoys watching television.

Dom: Yeah, he doesn't get into Jeopardy! too much, but he loves watching other animals on TV. He watches them intently and will bark and try and tear down the TV if he sees a horse or a water buffalo or anything on TV.

Alex: Just for your information, uh... the biggest animal viewers of Jeopardy! are cats.

[Laughter]

Alex: Dogs, no. Cats love us to death.

Alex: Adam Hoskins is an attorney. He is our champion. He is also a barbecue aficionado. To what extent? What are we talking about here?

Adam: Well, not too much yet. Uh, I live in Kansas City now.

Alex: Ooh!

Adam: So a lot of good barbecue there.

Alex: Yes.

Adam: I also smoke some of my own meat, um, and I have dreams of opening up my own barbecue restaurant one day.

Alex: Terrific.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4 LEGS, 1 CLUE $1000: Oh, deer! In the fall, bulls of this species aka the wapiti fight for harems that can number up to 60

CELEBRITY SPOKESPEOPLE $1000: Charlize Theron did a striking ad for the perfume "J'adore" this brand
(Julia: What is Chanel?)

NATIONAL PARKS $1000: Hawaii has 2 national parks, Hawaii Volcanoes on the Big Island & Haleakala on this "Valley Isle"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Adam: $3,800
Dom: $3,800
Julia: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AUTHORS' LESSER KNOWN WORKS (3/5)
SUMMER OLYMPIC CITIES (3/5)
TECH LOGOS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ART & ARTISTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LOUIS XIV (1/2)
THE "KING", SON (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Adam: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Dom: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Adam had $3,800, Dom had $3,800, and Julia was at $5,400. Julia wagered $2,000.

ART & ARTISTS $1600: Bridget Riley made viewers eyes hurt as a major figure in the 1960s style of geometry & illusions called this "art"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Adam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Adam had $9,000, Dom had $5,400, and Julia was at $13,800. Adam wagered $2,000.

TECH LOGOS $800: Larry the Bird was the original name of this site's logo

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS' LESSER KNOWN WORKS $1600: Along with his doggone novels, he wrote "That Spot", a short story about a faithful dog

AUTHORS' LESSER KNOWN WORKS $2000: "Dracula" author Bram stoker also wrote about "The Lair of" this pale monster

SUMMER OLYMPIC CITIES $1600: This city between Lake Malaren & the Baltic Sea hosted the 1912 Olympics

SUMMER OLYMPIC CITIES $2000: It took until 1956, but finally a Southern Hemisphere city hosted--this one

THE "KING", SON $2000: Equine term for anything that hides the real plan

LOUIS XIV $800: From 1672 to 1678 Louis waged war against this small country on the North Sea then controlled by the Hapsburgs
(Adam: What is Austria?)
(Dom: What is Iceland?)
(Julia: What is Denmark?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Adam: $13,000
Julia: $11,800
Dom: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Adam: Wager $10,601 to cover Julia. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $3,801.
Julia: Your score is within 4/5ths of Adam's, so wager between $2,401 (venusian) and $4,999 (martian), beating Adam's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Dom's part.
Dom: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Julia, but if Julia decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This poem includes the line “But Flynn let drive a single, to the wonderment of all”

FINAL SCORES
Dom: $3,400 + $3,100 = $6,500 (What is Casey at the Bat?) (3rd place)
Julia: $11,800 + $11,800 = $23,600 (What is Casey at the Bat) (2nd place)
Adam: $13,000 + $10,601 = $23,601 (What is Casey at the Bat?) (18802-day champion: $23,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Adam: $12,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: $11,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Dom: $3,400, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $27,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 19/59 = .322
Adam: 19/60 = .317
Dom: 11/58 = .190
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
4 LEGS, 1 CLUE $400: This animal can travel 20 miles a day while carrying 130 pounds

4 LEGS, 1 CLUE $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew feeds an okapi leaves at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, IL.) Though you won't hear them, okapis can communicate via subsonic calls; scientists think they do it so mothers can talk to calves without alerting their major predator, this spotted cat
(Julia: What is a cheetah?)

4 LEGS, 1 CLUE $800: The Patagonian cavy is usually found in this country

CELEBRITY SPOKESPEOPLE $200: Waxing poetic for his homeland, Liam Neeson voiced a recent tourism ad urging us to "discover" this U.K. country
(Dom: What is Ireland?)

NATIONAL PARKS $600: Perhaps the most famous landmark in this Utah park is the Great White Throne

NOTORIOUS $1000: In 1947, as this mobster was killed in California, pals of Meyer Lansky walked in & took over the Flamingo in Vegas--hmm
(Dom: Who is Luciano?)

WORDS OF NOTE $800: Early 20th century
art style seen here

ART & ARTISTS $400: Franz Pforr was one of the 19th century Nazarenes, so called for their interest in the era of this book, as in Franz' work here

ART & ARTISTS $1200: One of his first great works done after moving to Spain was "The Disrobing of Christ" from the late 1570s

TECH LOGOS $1200: Do you use this browser? If so, you should recognize its logo

TECH LOGOS $1600: Now known as "Noface Chillah", the ghost logo of this social networking site lost its silly grin in 2013
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go now.)

LOUIS XIV $2000: In 1674 Louis met, liked & ennobled this explorer who 8 years later put the king's name on Louisiana
(Dom: Who is de Soto?)
(Julia: Who is Ponce de León?)
[End-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Birdman of Alcatraz
the American elk
Dior
Maui
op art
Twitter
Jack London
the White Worm
Stockholm
Melbourne, Australia
stalking horse
the Netherlands
"Casey at the Bat"
a llama
a leopard
Argentina
Northern Ireland
Zion
(Bugsy) Siegel
Dada
the Bible (the New Testamanet accepted)
El Greco
Chrome
Snapchat
(Sieur) de La Salle
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This poem includes the line “But Flynn let drive a single, to the wonderment of all”

Adam Hoskins: 13000+10601=23601 (2x & $42,402)
Dom Tassoni: 3400+3100=6500
Julia Cain: 11800+11800=23600

Correct response:
Spoiler
"Casey at the Bat"
Coryats:
Adam: 12800
Dom: 3400
Julia: 11400

Combined: 27,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Oh dear, Julia.

Quick, name a poem about baseball that's not Casey at the Bat.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran 4 Legs, all but "dada" in Words of Note.

3/5 in Fridge. I have never had caesar dressing, and I said Chobani for Oikos because my mom eats the former.

Not an iota of recognition in Celebrity Endorsements.

I have never been on Snapchat I went ghost = Napstablook and almost said UnderNet as a joke.

"King" for $400 threw me because as usual, I was expecting a straight up "king" sound, and since it's buck-ing-ham, it didn't register.

I knew Chaucer, Ian Fleming, and Moscow, but was blanking on all three.

Instaget FJ!
Golf

Post by Golf »

Minor nit, Julia was not in 2nd place going into DJ, she was in third. Can't stand it when I see lists where somebody "in 10th place" has 37 others ahead (not tied) of them.

Julia obviously very strong in art, then bets the unthinking useless small round number upon finding a DD. And it cost her the game.

Good for Dom for avoiding the top row clue late in the game in Louis where a DD could not be.

Adam's late DD wager was not good in the least. He was in a position where chances were low he would be locked out going into FJ, but had he missed he would have been right on the edge with clues left. And after answering correctly was still way back. Perfect time for the all or nothing wager. (but of course since in this one trial he ended up in the lead I'm sure there are those here praising his wager)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wow. Throwing away the lead at the last second, then seeing that (instaget) FJ clue come up...I would've been physically ill.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Adam on his second win. I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Maui, Jack London, and Melbourne. I also got the missed DD of The Birdman of Alcatraz. I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Adam's late DD wager was not good in the least. He was in a position where chances were low he would be locked out going into FJ, but had he missed he would have been right on the edge with clues left. And after answering correctly was still way back. Perfect time for the all or nothing wager. (but of course since in this one trial he ended up in the lead I'm sure there are those here praising his wager)
It was a good bet. He knew Julia was going to open the door for him by saying that Louis XIV hired a Spanish guy to explore, giving him the chance to randomly guess a French explorer and sneak into the lead just as time ran out. :lol:

Instaget FJ.

Granted it was before his time, but I thought Birdman of Alcatraz would be something most Jeopardy people would know.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Sorry for Julia for snatching defeat from jaws of Victory - she was very strong until the last few clues of DJ.

Some weird answers - name a small colonial power that fought with France - Iceland, huh? Filing it under 'Lights/Stage' folder.

FJ - really? Is there anything pre-kids level?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Abraxas wrote:Congrats to Adam on his second win. I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Maui, Jack London, and Melbourne. I also got the missed DD of The Birdman of Alcatraz. I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.
Same to all above. Same score. Other LT & TOM: Stockholm 1912; Habsburgs controlled Netherlands; Melbourne AuS was first Oly "south side"; Maui = Valley isle; get on Wapiti 'deer' = Elk; no get on "J'adore Dior" for Theron.

Lotta fun cats tonite with llama (dithered over 'alpaca' but went with LLama with TOM wooly. Is that the 3rd or 4th porcupine this year?! And TWO Okapi clues in a week!?! Precalling for the test!! :o

Notorious was stock in trade with Dillinger > Biograph > The Lady in Red (Anna Sage): Billy the Kid 1881 > Silver City NM > Lincoln County War > Regulators > Pat Garrett > Gov Lew Wallace of NM Territory (Author; Ben Hur, declined pardon for shooting sheriff Bill Brady), all TOM and responsorials for this cad. (Cad BTW featured in J6! this week...) In 2010 Gov Bill RIchardson chose to NOT pardon William Bonney posthumously (after all, he shot and killed three lawmen, one unarmed deputy in the back while escaping after trial and conviction!). And of course Bugsy Siegel > Flamingo > Shot through window in LA by unknown assailant, AKA gangnam-style. DO not confuse with Bugs Malone missed getting shot in Valentine Day massacre by Capone (Scarface).

Painful to watch the poor fellow struggle with Robert Stroud The Birdman of ALcatraz (Pavlov!), sigh. :oops:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

When Alex says to the players, "you're gonna love this clue", it's a pretty good indication that the person holding the lead is going to win.

Adam would have been comforted to know that even though second place had over 90% of his total going into FJ, he would still win on a TS.
I'm hoping that whenever the next difficult FJ clue appears, Adam will once again have a slim lead.

Poor wagering from both challengers in FJ. Julia had the advantageous position of winning (without having to answer correctly) on any wager less than 5000, so long as Adam missed. But because of her suicide bet, Dom could have won on a TS if he wagered 999 or less.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,400
38 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Birdman of Alcatraz, Dior, Jack London, Melbourne

Wow. Just wow. That's one way to lose a game. Once FJ! was revealed, the only question was whether someone would flub the title (e.g., "No Joy in Mudville" or "Might Casey Has Struck Out").

Speaking of birds and Alcatraz, it's worth knowing that the island is named for an archaic Spanish word for pelican.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alpaca for the llama, so I've done my refresher course on the difference between the two. Watch me get caught on a vicuna/guanaco the next time. :)

Adam would have fully erased the anti-rooting factor after the Birdman DD miss if he had run the SUMMER OLYMPIC CITIES. Instead he could not handle the depth and then only bet $2000 on the next DD in a second box. Go Julia!

Ponce de Leon? I take it back. Adam deserved to steal the game.

The FJ! clue? Tough for a trailer to overcome the leader on that one. I'll be curious to see what (if any) the misses were for the clue. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game?" One way out of left field: "Chicago" or something else by Sandburg going off Flynn from the Broadway musical? :)

I'm getting SOTUed tomorrow night, so Hammer or whoever else has the access, please update the FJ! round summary on post 3 in the Tuesday thread since I won't see J! until 10 Pacific. Thanks.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote:Julia obviously very strong in art, then bets the unthinking useless small round number upon finding a DD. And it cost her the game.
How do you know Adam wouldn't have bet more on his DD if Julia had had a bigger lead? I say it's wild guessing on a $2,000 clue with a $2,800 lead that cost her the game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Once FJ! was revealed, the only question was whether someone would flub the title (e.g., "No Joy in Mudville" or "Might Casey Has Struck Out").
Ah, good ones. One more came to me with "Casey at Bat."
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Julia would have won except for the wild, erroneous guess of Ponce de Leon.

Did you notice she makes her a's the way most fonts do, like the ones here on JBoard? Of course, students are taught to make their a's the other way.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

4 Legs (3), Notorious (4), Fridge (3), Park (3), Celeb (3), Note (5)
Author (3), Summer (5), Tech (2), Art (3), XIV (1), "King" (3)

Lach Trash: "Dior", "Maui", "Stockholm", "Melbourne"

Instaget FJ.
Golf

Post by Golf »

seaborgium wrote:
Golf wrote:Julia obviously very strong in art, then bets the unthinking useless small round number upon finding a DD. And it cost her the game.
How do you know Adam wouldn't have bet more on his DD if Julia had had a bigger lead? I say it's wild guessing on a $2,000 clue with a $2,800 lead that cost her the game.
Considering how timid Adam wagered on his DD, it's not wild guessing. It's a 99+% certainty. Just another case of a contestant with zero game play sense having zero clue she just found a golden ticket to riches.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote: Adam's late DD wager was not good in the least. He was in a position where chances were low he would be locked out going into FJ, but had he missed he would have been right on the edge with clues left. And after answering correctly was still way back. Perfect time for the all or nothing wager. (but of course since in this one trial he ended up in the lead I'm sure there are those here praising his wager)
It was a good bet. He knew Julia was going to open the door for him by saying that Louis XIV hired a Spanish guy to explore, giving him the chance to randomly guess a French explorer and sneak into the lead just as time ran out. :lol:

Instaget FJ.

Granted it was before his time, but I thought Birdman of Alcatraz would be something most Jeopardy people would know.
Especially when spotted "orthonologist"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012