Monday, January 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, January 11, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Golf wrote:Julia obviously very strong in art, then bets the unthinking useless small round number upon finding a DD. And it cost her the game.
How do you know Adam wouldn't have bet more on his DD if Julia had had a bigger lead? I say it's wild guessing on a $2,000 clue with a $2,800 lead that cost her the game.
Considering how timid Adam wagered on his DD, it's not wild guessing. It's a 99+% certainty. Just another case of a contestant with zero game play sense having zero clue she just found a golden ticket to riches.
I'd say you're guessing at what seaborgium meant by 'wild guessing'.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Category 13 wrote:
Golf wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Golf wrote:Julia obviously very strong in art, then bets the unthinking useless small round number upon finding a DD. And it cost her the game.
How do you know Adam wouldn't have bet more on his DD if Julia had had a bigger lead? I say it's wild guessing on a $2,000 clue with a $2,800 lead that cost her the game.
Considering how timid Adam wagered on his DD, it's not wild guessing. It's a 99+% certainty. Just another case of a contestant with zero game play sense having zero clue she just found a golden ticket to riches.
No, I know he was talking about her last miss which of course was not good either. But even with that, if she takes proper advantage of a wheelhouse DD she still wins.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Golf wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
No, I know he was talking about her last miss which of course was not good either. But even with that, if she takes proper advantage of a wheelhouse DD she still wins.
or does she
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

While I agree that Adam's DD wager was too small, I also think that the people saying that Adam should've gone for a TDD are also wrong, especially since they are the same people who thought that Claudia Corriere should've lost her job instead of coming back a few weeks later. Because the third contestant had so little, if Adam had wagered really big and missed, the probability of a lock game would've been well over 99%. Wagering more than $3,500 probably would've been foolish, because in most cases, the remaining clues would've been more evenly split instead of having Adam go on the run he did, so if he had missed with more than that, he probably would've been locked out.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

grindcore wrote:Quick, name a poem about baseball that's not Casey at the Bat.
"Baseball's Sad Lexicon".

Reminds me, somebody on another internet board once announced he'd written a novel whose title was the seventh word in a famous baseball poem. It sounded very promising to me.
I'm smart and I want respect.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:While I agree that Adam's DD wager was too small, I also think that the people saying that Adam should've gone for a TDD are also wrong, especially since they are the same people who thought that Claudia Corriere should've lost her job instead of coming back a few weeks later.
No we're not.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

doihavetoreally wrote: Some weird answers - name a small colonial power that fought with France - Iceland, huh? Filing it under 'Lights/Stage' folder.
My recollection is that the clue even spotted them "located on the North Sea." Maybe Adam was confused because Capt. von Trapp in the Sound of Music was in the Navy but you have to wonder how anyone could come up with that one. Iceland - yeah, that came out of the blue. The Denmark response was at least geographically somewhat reasonable. But this seemed to be the goofiest triple miss that I can remember in a long time.

I did expect at least one of them to miss FJ based on that.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote: Adam's late DD wager was not good in the least. He was in a position where chances were low he would be locked out going into FJ, but had he missed he would have been right on the edge with clues left. And after answering correctly was still way back. Perfect time for the all or nothing wager. (but of course since in this one trial he ended up in the lead I'm sure there are those here praising his wager)
It was a good bet. He knew Julia was going to open the door for him by saying that Louis XIV hired a Spanish guy to explore, giving him the chance to randomly guess a French explorer and sneak into the lead just as time ran out. :lol:

Instaget FJ.

Granted it was before his time, but I thought Birdman of Alcatraz would be something most Jeopardy people would know.
Especially when spotted "orthonologist"
What was it Robert Stroud straightened that helps here?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Elijah Baley wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote: Some weird answers - name a small colonial power that fought with France - Iceland, huh? Filing it under 'Lights/Stage' folder.
My recollection is that the clue even spotted them "located on the North Sea." Maybe Adam was confused because Capt. von Trapp in the Sound of Music was in the Navy but you have to wonder how anyone could come up with that one. Iceland - yeah, that came out of the blue. The Denmark response was at least geographically somewhat reasonable. But this seemed to be the goofiest triple miss that I can remember in a long time.

Yeah, I didn't know that one. I was leaning Denmark or the Netherlands, and was waiting for just one of those to be negged so that I could make my guess.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote: Adam's late DD wager was not good in the least. He was in a position where chances were low he would be locked out going into FJ, but had he missed he would have been right on the edge with clues left. And after answering correctly was still way back. Perfect time for the all or nothing wager. (but of course since in this one trial he ended up in the lead I'm sure there are those here praising his wager)
It was a good bet. He knew Julia was going to open the door for him by saying that Louis XIV hired a Spanish guy to explore, giving him the chance to randomly guess a French explorer and sneak into the lead just as time ran out. :lol:

Instaget FJ.

Granted it was before his time, but I thought Birdman of Alcatraz would be something most Jeopardy people would know.
He hoped to straighten out how I confuse orthonologist and ornithologist all the time. As well as etymology and entymology.

He failed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

dhkendall wrote:
bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

Instaget FJ.

He hoped to straighten out how I confuse orthonologist and ornithologist all the time. As well as etymology and entymology.

He failed.
He must have had his eye on the birdie.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Elijah Baley wrote:

A problem with the clue (although it doubtless had nothing to do with the strange wrong answers) is that the Netherlands were not actually under Habsburg control at the time. The Spanish Netherlands (i.e., Belgium) were.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I thought Redwood National Park was negbait for Sequoia National Park is you didn't know Sequoia wasn't on the coast.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

silverscreentest wrote:I thought Redwood National Park was negbait for Sequoia National Park is you didn't know Sequoia wasn't on the coast.
I fell for that negbait
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

silverscreentest wrote:I thought Redwood National Park was negbait for Sequoia National Park is you didn't know Sequoia wasn't on the coast.
One way to navigate that problem is to recall that the Coastal Redwood (found in its namesake park) is taller (but not as massive) than the Gisnt Sequoia (also found in its namesake park).

Sempevirens Fi!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote:
I fell for that negbait
So did I, and I live in California, and have been to Sequoia.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another Sequoia here.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

seaborgium wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
I fell for that negbait
I'm also a Californian who's been to Sequoia NP, but I recalled that it's next to Kings Canyon NP in Tulare County. A brief pause but no problemo.
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
I fell for that negbait
I'm also a Californian who's been to Sequoia NP, but I recalled that it's next to Kings Canyon NP in Tulare County. A brief pause but no problemo.
I'm a California native and former Californian. I've been to one of the two.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Category 13 wrote:When Alex says to the players, "you're gonna love this clue", it's a pretty good indication that the person holding the lead is going to win.
When AT says to the players, "You're gonna love [anything]," it's a pretty good indication I'm not. (I know some people who think that's a pretty good indication that I just get crankier and crankier. They could be right.)