Thursday, January 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7214, 2016-01-14

CONTESTANTS
Ben Almoite, a government and law librarian from Richmond, Virginia
Ellen Huber, a human resources director from Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Amelia Hershberger, a management analyst from Albany, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $37,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us again today. You know, just making it to Jeopardy! as a contestant is quite an accomplishment. But winning is even more special. Not only do you pick up some extra cash, but the bragging rights that go along with being a Jeopardy! champion. Amelia has experienced that on two occasions now. How will she do today against Ellen and Ben? Let's start finding out. Good luck. Here we go. Categories in the Jeopardy! Round are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME (3/5)
I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I'LL HAVE WHAT SHE'S HAVING (4/5)
IF YOU BUILD "IT", HE WILL COME (3/5)
THE DUDE ABIDES (5/5)
MOVIE CATCHPHRASES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Amelia: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ellen: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amelia found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Amelia had $800, Ellen was in the red with -$600, and Ben was at $3,400. Amelia wagered $1,000.

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD $800: In 1747 this Prussian king presented a musical theme to Bach, who used it to develop his "Musical Offering"
(Amelia: Who is... Wilhelm?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ben: $3,400
Amelia: -$200
Ellen: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Ben: My dad was in the Navy, stationed there. And the big Elvis Presley live via satellite concert that was broadcast around the world, uh, took place in Honolulu, and we were able to get tickets and sit up in the nosebleeds and watch him. And, um, and even though I don't have any recollection of it, my parents said that we definitely enjoyed it and had a great time.

Alex: I do have a recollection of that. It was directed by a man named Marty Pasetta, who directed the first game show I hosted in the United States.

Ben: Really?

Alex: Yeah.

Ben: Oh, awesome.

Alex: It was a special moment.

Alex: Ellen Huber from Morrisville, Pennsylvania. A big Doctor Who fan--not only the new series, but the old one, as well. A lot of publicity this year about the new series. What is it about that show that's so special?

Ellen: Well, who doesn't like a story about a madman traveling through space and time in a box? Um, it's just a nice, hopeful show. You know, a lot of times, there is always a happy ending. It's not always dystopian, but it's, just, it's fun. It's fun. And anybody can watch it.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: As you were speaking, Amelia hershberger was nodding in agreement. Are you a Doctor Who fan, as well?

Amelia: I am. I, too, am a Whovian.

Alex: A Whov--oh, you refer to yourselves as Whovians.

Amelia: I have als--I have come up with an alternate way of referring to us, which is Doctor Wholigans, but it has not caught on. [Chuckles]

Alex: I like, uh, the other one better.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'LL HAVE WHAT SHE'S HAVING $1000: Oo... lamb chunks marinated & served on a skewer or in a pita... this Greek word sounds good to me, as well!
(Ellen: What is slouvaki--or souvaki?)
(Amelia: What's a gyro?)

IF YOU BUILD "IT", HE WILL COME $800: SMU's school motto is this "liberabit vos", or "the truth will make you free"

IF YOU BUILD "IT", HE WILL COME $200: A kid's hand covering in the shape of Michigan's lower peninsula

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD $1000: Africa's last absolute monarch, King Mswati III of this country has 15 wives but only 13 royal palaces

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME $600: The vandals conquered parts of Italy, Spain & Africa but their first home may have been this Danish peninsula

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME $400: Architect Julia Morgan designed a home with 61 bathrooms for William Randolph Hearst at this Calif. town
(Alex: And that would be the site of his famous Castle [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ben: $4,800
Amelia: $4,000
Ellen: -$800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 14, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW (3/5)
WHO READS (4/5)
BIBLICAL GEOGRAPHY (0/2)
THIS CATEGORY HAS BEEN FLAGGED (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOUBLE ANIMAL NAMES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANTONYM & CLEOPATRA (0/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amelia: 4 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ellen: 3 R, 1 W
Ben: 7 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Amelia had $6,800, Ellen was scoreless, and Ben was at $5,600. Ben wagered $3,000.

DOUBLE ANIMAL NAMES $1200: Emerging from eggs the size of footballs, newly hatched young of this largest living fish are 2 feet long
[Ben mouths the words of the clue.]
(Alex: Ben?)
(Ben: [Shakes head])

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amelia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Amelia had $8,000, Ellen was scoreless, and Ben was at $5,000. Amelia wagered $2,000.

THIS CATEGORY HAS BEEN FLAGGED $1600: The main flag on a warship is called this, also a rank in the navy
(Amelia: What is the admiral flag?)
(Alex: We have a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHO READS $1600: Justice Stephen Breyer said that on finishing this Proust work he promptly reread it & "that happens... to many readers"

ANTONYM & CLEOPATRA $1200: Cleo was a royal, not this antonym also found before "sense" & "law"
(Ellen: What is a muse?)
(Alex: Pardon?)
(Ellen: What is a muse?)

ANTONYM & CLEOPATRA $1600: Cleopatra's charms made her not repellent but this opposite, from the Latin ducere, "to lead"
(Ben: What is attractive?)

I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW $1600: The U.S. Ryder Cup team,
1983 & '87
(Ben: Who is Tom Watson?)

DOUBLE ANIMAL NAMES $2000: This sea creature feeds on penguins & is named for its black-spotted gray coat

I AM THE CAPTAIN NOW $800: The America's cup-winning Courageous,
(Ben: Who is Conner?)

BIBLICAL GEOGRAPHY $2000: This garden where Jesus prayed before his arrest was near the Mount of Olives

ANTONYM & CLEOPATRA $2000: Cleopatra's nose is believed to have been this antonym of "straight", referring specifically to an eagle's beak
(Ben: What is crooked?)

BIBLICAL GEOGRAPHY $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Scholars believe the Exodus didn't go across the Red Sea, but somewhere on land between two bodies of water--this sea & this gulf
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amelia: $6,000 (lock-tie game)
Ben: $3,000
Ellen: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVENTURE LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock-tie for first place; two-thirds-tie for second place.
Amelia: Wager $0 to guarantee your return for the next game, or, if you'd rather lose today than face Ben tomorrow, wager $6,000 to maximize your winnings (or $1,999 to keep from dropping into third place).
Ben: A tie is still a win! Wager all $3,000.
Ellen: Ben would be a fool not to try for the tie for first place, and you'd be a fool not to take advantage of it for second place. Risk between $0 and $1,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth", explorers enter an Icelandic volcano & emerge on this island off Sicily

FINAL SCORES
Ellen: $2,000 - $2,000 = $0 (What is I have no clue?) (3rd place)
Ben: $3,000 - $3,000 = $0 (What is Corsica?) (2nd place)
Amelia: $6,000 - $0 = $6,000 (What is Corsica?) (37001-day champion: $6,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amelia: $9,000, 13 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Ben: $6,000, 17 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Ellen: $2,000, 7 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $17,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Ben: 17/59 = .288
Amelia: 13/60 = .217
Ellen: 7/58 = .121
Team: 37/63 = .587

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOVIE CATCHPHRASES $800: "I'll have what she's having"
(Ellen: What is Sleepless in Seattle?)
[Applause for Ben's run of the category]

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD $600: He's Poseidon's son; in a Disney movie, he's the undersea king

IF YOU BUILD "IT", HE WILL COME $400: In grammar "the" is this type of article
(Amelia: What is indefinite?)

IF YOU BUILD "IT", HE WILL COME $1000: A substance put into food during processing for preservation or coloring
(Ellen: What is a preservative?)

THE DUDE ABIDES $600: If the bartender gives him a Black Russian, he just adds a little of this & now it's a White Russian
[Amelia gave both listed responses.]

THE DUDE ABIDES $800: The Dude isn't a fan of the Eagles, but he can abide the solo career of this member & his songs like "Boys Of Summer"
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now, you are correct.)

THIS CATEGORY HAS BEEN FLAGGED $400: It's the rather cheerful name for the flag seen here

THIS CATEGORY HAS BEEN FLAGGED $800: Seen here, the Washington Monument is encircled by this many flags

CORRECT RESPONSES
Frederick the Great
souvlaki
veritas
a mitt
Swaziland
Jutland
San Simeon
the whale shark
the ensign
Remembrance of Things Past
common
seductive
Jack Nicklaus
the leopard seal
Ted Turner
the Garden of Gethsemane
aquiline
the Gulf of Suez & the Mediterranean Sea
Stromboli
When Harry Met Sally
Triton
definite
an additive
milk (or cream)
Don Henley
Jolly Roger
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVENTURE LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Verne’s “Journey to the Center of the Earth”, explorers enter an Icelandic volcano & emerge on this island off Sicily

Amelia Hershberger: 6000-0=6000 (3x & $43,000)
Ellen Huber: 2000-2000=0
Ben Almoite: 3000-3000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Stromboli (Amelia & Ben - Corsica) (Ellen: What is I have no clue?)
Coryats
Amelia: 9000
Ellen: 2000
Ben: 6000

Combined: 17,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Just a weak game all around. I thought that was bold of the writers to do that category consisting of the other category names. It certainly made it easy for the contestant to sweep it, considering he knew what the answer was before he called for the clue. He looked like he was going to be a powerhouse at that point, but no, he wasn't.

For FJ, I knew it was going to be that minor island that was mentioned in a Sinatra song in the 40s but I couldn't remember it in time. I knew that any major island would be incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMC_vR35PG0
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not if you gave me 1000 guesses.

I was hoping to see the first tie under the new rules, though.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This Danish peninsula a TS? Oof.

LOL at the QB of America's team being a bottom row clue. Especially when the $1200 and $1600 clues needed seriously specific sports knowledge. Although I suppose on the $1200 clue since they asked for 1 of the 2 captains you could assume the pair of Magic/Bird. Otherwise MJ and others were major negbait.

Good for Ellen for going for big clues late when absolutely necessary. But unfortunately she then went TPH on us with no answer on FJ in addition to throwing away $1k in winnings.

And after that FJ answer I'm suddenly hungry for Italian food.
Last edited by Golf on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Stromboli?

I guessed Etna. Stupidly. Yikes. :oops: I think this was one of the more difficult FJs of the season, and I'm curious to see the polls on this.
Last edited by corvo on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I cheered at the end when we had a lock-tie score. I wish we could have had a tie at the end. Oh, well. Baby steps.

I agree this was not a great game The guy ran movie quotes (made easier with knowing what was coming uo though they weren't all that hard) and earned $3,000, which is what he finished with.

Tony Romo was way overvalued at the bottom level. Even casual NFL fans will know his name. I had no idea if he is a team captain, but the quarterback being one seemed a pretty logical guess after all the others were mentioned and he wasn't on the list. I got them all in that category, but Ted Turner should have been at the bottom.

No chance on FJ, guessed Sardinia. I got excited when Alex said S..., but it was not to be. At least he said it was tough.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

If I knew Tony Romo, it certainly must have been overvalued! Stromboli, on the other hand... I said Malta for lack of anything better, though it's not exactly "off Sicily." If only they'd asked the setting of the Popeye movie.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

econgator wrote: I was hoping to see the first tie under the new rules, though.
Yeah, I was hoping for that as well.

We had Sardinia here. I've read the book and seen the James Mason movie, but had no recollection of what island it was. Maybe if there was an Ingrid Bergman TOM I could have gotten it.

Knowing that the whaleshark is the biggest fish seems like trivia 101.

The movie quotes category was insanely easy, especially since they had been given time to process all of them already.
Last edited by OSXpert on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Amelia on her third win. I had 40 correct responses including these triple stumpers: veritas, Jutland, San Simeon, Remembrance of Things Past, common, and Garden of Gethsemane. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of whale shark and ensign. I guessed Sardinia for FJ.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Damn! I thought the episode was running fast, and once DJ! ended, I was sure we were going to have our first post-rule change tie.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

There were a lot of triple stumpers that I was surprised by; off the top of my head: Gulf of Suez/Med. Sea, Remembrance of Things Past, veritas, and leopard seal. Romo as the highest value in a category that included Nicklaus/Ted Turner? Don't understand the reasoning behind that. Also, didn't understand the bearcat clue; Panda translates literally as bearcat in Mandarin but the bearcat isn't a "type" of panda, and bearcat isn't the "nickname" of the U. Cincinnati sports teams, its their actual name. And thought it was a tough FJ, mind wandered to either Sardinia or Lampedusa, so of course it was neither. Never fully read Journey to the Center of the Earth, and not intimately familiar with Italian geography, but I did know there was a third Italian active volcano, just wouldn't have been able to name it/know it had its own namesake island.
Last edited by MarkyMarkm on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I agree with others that this was a tough FJ. I gathered they were probably looking for a volcanic island, and I was pretty sure that Etna was *on* Sicily and was hence incorrect, but I couldn't come up with the right thing. I wrote down "Malta" just to write down something, but I wasn't expecting it to be correct.

"Stromboli" sounded very familiar once I heard it. Congrats to those who came up with it. I imagine it'll poll fairly low.

I also got an above-average number of triple stumpers while watching this game.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

WoW! @ TS mania and FIVE unrevealed clues! Win from stand-and-stares and Instaget FJ; the "Lighthouse of the Med" has been a DD in recent memory!

45R of 55 revealed; ~82%, with 15 LT: Souvlaki (correctly spelled * pronounced ;) ); truth = veritas (admittedly confusing clue, as in "WTH are they ASKING?!"); last king of Africa = Swaziland; Jutland = Danish island; Heart Castle in San Simeon; Proust Remembrance of Things Past (Q'est-ce que A la recherche du temps perdue?); common sense; seductive Cleopatra (VII) from "to lead"; Ryder Cup 1983, 87 = Jack Nicklaus; biggest fish = Whale Shark (Neither a whale nor a shark!); Leopard Seal got it's spots eating penguins; an Ensign is both a flag and a rank; Gethsemane Garden is @Mt of Olives; eagle >>> Aquiline, from Aquila the Eagle constellation; Latin >Aquila = Eagle, so "eagle-nosed"; and Gulf of Suez; ZOMG a runaway from Lach trash!
I venture to suggest a quick responder from the 4th Podium might well have revealed the last 5 clues and picked up a few more there as well... :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

goatman wrote: truth = veritas (admittedly confusing clue, as in "WTH are they ASKING?!")
Yes, I could not decipher what that clue was asking for in the allotted time.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

All I could picture from FJ was Pat Boone supposedly naked in a tree after the group was thrown out of the volcano, but I had no idea it was on Stromboli. It probably sounds more familiar from the Disney "Pinocchio" movie bad guy than because it's an island off Sicily.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

I got FJ in part because when I read the abridged kids version of "Journey" the title of the island reminded me of a villainous Disney character.

Edited to add:
nlw44 wrote: It probably sounds more familiar from the Disney "Pinocchio" movie bad guy than because it's an island off Sicily.
Yup, that one.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

What a neg fest.

During the first segment, I thought sure Ben would control the game by the end of DJ. He was definately superior to Amelia on the buzzer but like another contestant recently, he didn't know how to stay clam. IIRC, Ben's last neg in DJ was on a 2000 clue. If he would have just stayed clam for that clue, it would have left him with $5000 at the end of DJ, and likely allowed him to win on the TS Final Jeopardy.

Too bad he didn't get the FJ correct to force a tie-breaker. I'm sure he would have beat Amelia to the draw but would he have come up with the correct answer?

I was also hoping for Amelia to finish DJ in another second place wagering situation, to further scope her wagering skill (or lack of). She did well to risk $0 but I think most contestants would have gone for the win. Being aware of Ben's fast buzzer reaction would have played into it for me. I would have wagered $1999 unless I hated the category.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Ala slams rule expected Ben to win. As pointed above, Ben ended up with same score as he had after first category run. What a roller coaster it must have been - starting a game with a category run, brutal DJ round and that FJ! At least he wagered all in FJ.

I agree that Tony Romo was way overvalued...I couldn't get earlier cules, negged with MJ for Basketball clue :(
Blurted out Gulf of Sinai :o for Gulf of Suez (are they interchangeable?)

DJ round was tough for me too...man so hard to stay clam.
Category 13 wrote: I'm sure he would have beat Amelia to the draw but would he have come up with the correct answer?
Lets hear from Ben on how many times he got beat.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!