Wednesday, January 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7223, 2016-01-27

CONTESTANTS
Bianca Hegedus, a financial analyst from Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Colin West, a graduate student in physics from Port Jefferson, New York
Fred Vaughn, an Internet operations technician from Mineral Point, Wisconsin (whose 3-day cash winnings total $49,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. Welcome again to our program, a half-hour of answers and questions featuring a good champion in Fred and two excellent challengers in Bianca and Colin. Welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT BORDERS AUSTRIA (4/5)
AIR QUOTES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SKILLFUL ADJECTIVES (3/5)
TECHNOLOGY (4/5)
PRO WOMEN (3/3)
"CON" MEN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bianca: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Colin: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Fred: 7 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Fred: $3,400
Colin: $2,200
Bianca: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bianca Hegedus is a financial analyst from Pennsylvania. Now in order to get here, you had to take some pretty tough tests.

Bianca: Yes.

Alex: So it's quite an accomplishment just winding up as a contestant on our program, and yet you have admitted that your 10-year-old could beat you at Jeopardy!?

Bianca: Yes, my 10-year-old, Kevin, when he was 6 years old, he memorized the map of the world. He can tell you where Burkina Faso is.

Fred: Whoa.

Bianca: And we have an app about placing countries on the world, and the first time we played it, he beat me.

Alex: Yeah, but that--

Bianca: At 6.

Alex: Yeah, but that's geography. Now what about the other subjects?

Bianca: Uh, he also does sports statistics. He can quote you sports statistics. He does lists. He is a budding Jeopardy! wannabe.

Alex: All right, well, have him take the test, please.

Bianca: I will, thank you.

Alex: Okay.

Bianca: Colin West is a graduate student in physics who got some advice from Alan Alda, the famous actor.

Colin: Yes, uh, at my university, Stony Brook University, Alan runs a program where he teaches scientists improv theater tricks to help with our ability to communicate both with the public and with each other. Um, and I found that it's helped me, uh, be a better scientist, that...

Alex: What's the best advice he gave you?

Colin: Oh, just to connect, to put yourself in the other person's shoes, try to anticipate what they're thinking and feeling.

Alex: Yeah, that would help in teaching science.

Colin: Yeah.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

Alex: Fred Vaughn is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. Uh, he has already decided that some of the money he has won on Jeopardy! will be used to travel. That's often the case with our champions. And he also wants to donate some to charities. What's your favorite charity? And tell me why.

Fred: Oh, my. Um, it would have to be, um, Hodan Community Services in my town, Mineral Point, Wisconsin. Um, they provide, you know, services and work opportunities for disabled adults.

Alex: Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bianca found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Fred had $1,600, Colin had $2,000, and Bianca was at $3,600. Bianca wagered $1,000.

AIR QUOTES $800: "These our actors, as I foretold you, were all spirits and are melted into air" in this island-set Shakespeare play
(Alex: You are correct, and we have less than a minute now to finish the round.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TECHNOLOGY $800: To shape molten metal, or the furnace used to melt metal
(Colin: What is a smelt?)

IT BORDERS AUSTRIA $1000: In 2015, thousands of Middle Eastern migrants headed for the Austrian border, many via this ex-Yugoslav republic due south
(Fred: What is Croatia?)

SKILLFUL ADJECTIVES $200: Fill in AD __ __ T & you're this skillful word
(Fred: What is E-P?)
(Colin: What is... uh, R-O-I?)

SKILLFUL ADJECTIVES $800: From the Latin for "wise", it has the rare double-V

AIR QUOTES $1000: Her poem "Lady Lazarus" ends, "Out of the ash / I rise with my red hair / And I eat men like air"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bianca: $4,600
Colin: $2,600
Fred: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"Z" WORDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ZOOLOGY (4/5)
POP MUSIC (5/5)
INFLUENTIAL NONFICTION (4/5)
19th CENTURY AMERICA (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MIXED BAG (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Fred: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Colin: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Bianca: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colin snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Fred had $2,600, Colin had $4,200, and Bianca was at $5,800. Colin wagered $2,200.

19th CENTURY AMERICA $1600: In 1890 this bureau of the government reported that the West was so settled that no frontier could be said to exist
(Colin: What is the Land Bureau?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Fred who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Fred had $8,200, Colin had $6,000, and Bianca was at $5,800. Fred wagered $2,000.

"Z" WORDS $2000: This eponymic word for Mexican rebels of the 19ios & their modern descendants

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
19th CENTURY AMERICA $1200: The Credit Mobilier scandal involved this "oceanic" railroad company
(Colin: What is the Atlantic?)
(Fred: What is the Southern Pacific?)

INFLUENTIAL NONFICTION $1200: Arnold Toynbee's 12-volume "Study of" this school subject provoked debate on the decline & fall of civilizations

19th CENTURY AMERICA $2000: This American naval hero wasn't killed in the Illinois city that bears his surname, but rather in a duel in Maryland
(Fred: Um... [groans] Ooh.)
(Alex: Too much time.)

ZOOLOGY $2000: This toothed whale has the largest brain of any animal & can dive to a depth of almost 2 miles
(Bianca: What is a dolphin?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Colin: $11,200
Fred: $10,600
Bianca: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE EMMYS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Colin: Wager $10,001 to cover Fred.
Fred: You have to wager $3,401 to cover Bianca's doubled score, but certainly no more than $3,599, so as to force Bianca to be right to have a chance at winning.
Bianca: Consider risking between $3,601 and $5,799. This will top a $0 wager by Fred while still beating Colin on the Triple Stumper (should Colin wager to cover Fred's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the first show nominated for both Outstanding Comedy Series (2014) & Outstanding Drama Series (2015)

FINAL SCORES
Bianca: $7,000 + $4,201 = $11,201 (What is Orange is the New Black Black?) (2nd place)
Fred: $10,600 + $5,500 = $16,100 (What is Orange is the New Black?) (49601-day champion: $16,100)
Colin: $11,200 - $10,200 = $1,000 (What is Veep?) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Colin: $13,400, 19 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Fred: $10,600, 17 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Bianca: $6,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Colin: 19/59 = .322
Fred: 18/59 = .305
Bianca: 13/59 = .220
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TECHNOLOGY $400: A stopcock is an external this 5-letter item used to control a liquid flow through a pipe
(Fred: What is a gauge?)

IT BORDERS AUSTRIA $600: The geographic center of the European Union is in this country
(Fred: What is the Czech Republic?)
(Alex: You were thinking of your son there with that geography clue.)
(Bianca: That's correct. [Laughs])

PRO WOMEN $600: This MMA champ said, "What makes me so confident that I can win is I'm the greatest fighter in the world"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

MIXED BAG $1200: What the couple here is doing, or a No. 1 pop hit from the summer of '78

19th CENTURY AMERICA $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) 62,000 men in parallel corps columns covered up to 15 miles a day on their way to Savannah in this general's march to the sea

ZOOLOGY $800: Anteaters belong to a suborder called vermilingua, which means "worm" this in Latin
(Alex: Yes, minute to go.)

ZOOLOGY $1600: The nesting group of this large tropical seabird is called a colony, not a hatch
(Alex: Yes, a red-footed [*] there.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Tempest
forge
Slovenia
adept
savvy
Sylvia Plath
the Census (Bureau)
Zapatistas
the Union Pacific
History
Stephen Decatur
the sperm whale
Orange is the New Black
a valve
Germany
Ronda Rousey
shadow dancing
Sherman
tongue
a booby
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

The Emmys

It's the first show nominated for both Outstanding Comedy Series (2014) and Outstanding Drama Series (2015).
Spoiler
What is Orange Is the New Black? Colin had Veep.

Bianca Hegedus: $7,000+$4,201=$11,201

Fred Vaughn: $10,600+$5,500=$16,100; now a 4-day champ with $65,700

Colin West: $11,200-$10,200=$1,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I was pretty certain of OITNB for final, but the fact that it was a correct response in final something like a year ago led me to doubt it a little.

Well done Fred! 4-time champ! 4-time champ!

And how about the bottom row Zapatista DD? Mexican rebels when spotted Z? Very, very generous.

When Alex introduced "z" words and "zoology", I really wanted the other four categories to be z-words. No dice.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They also had The Tempest at $1600 with island in the clue.

I knew if it was a recent show, I would have no chance. I have heard of it, but that is it.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Couldn't think of anything. I've seen one episode of Orange is the New Black, and didn't know it was now a Drama. I went with Veep just to say something, but that was a bottom level response earlier this week I think.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fred seemed very tired. So much sighing and mumbling. It was painful to watch him.

I couldn't get it going today. Finished with $0. Kept blanking on obvious things like "Take It Easy" (one of my favorite Eagles songs, too), cheetah, Mercury, etc., or getting zinged by stuff I found undervalued like Aristotle or conductor.

I had no idea where to go with this. OITNB briefy flitted through my head, but I rejected it as not fitting the category. They wouldn't give an Emmy to a Netflix show? Clearly wrong.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Fred on his fourth win. I had 45 correct responses including these triple stumpers: forge, Slovenia, adept, savvy, Sylvia Plath, Union Pacific, and history. I also got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Finally!! The streak is over!!! I'm so pleased that I'm not even mad anymore that they left that Pro Women category to die, or that The Tempest was a friggin DD, or that Bianca threw away 2000 to guess 'dolphin'.

Instaget FJ.
DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 »

Coryat: 33,600
41R / 2W
DD (2/3): Got Tempest (gimme given the island cluing) and Zapatista, wasn't close to Census (I guessed Indian Affairs without thinking too closely about the date given).
LT: Adept, sperm whale, A Study of History, Union Pacific, Stephen Decatur.
FJ: Nope. Went with Veep as well out of cluelessness. I didn't even think about streaming-only programming.

Slow Jeopardy round for me -- I blame the meeting I was in prior to the show. Couldn't stay clam on two clues and my brain wasn't quite quick enough for the last three Skillful Words clues even though none were particularly obscure. I also said "smelt" for "forge." I did run "Con" Men, and was doing perfectly in Pro Women when time ran out. My somewhat saving grace was I got all of the 2000s in Double Jeopardy. I don't know if that's ever happened before.
grindcore wrote: Well done Fred! 4-time champ! 4-time champ!
Here here!
When Alex introduced "z" words and "zoology", I really wanted the other four categories to be z-words. No dice.
I had exactly the same thoughts. The reveal of Pop Music made me say "Awww..." and my wife looked at me like I was crazy.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

grindcore wrote:I was pretty certain of OITNB for final, but the fact that it was a correct response in final something like a year ago led me to doubt it a little.
Not just as a correct FJ response, one in another Vaughntourage game! http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4772

I believe OITNB switched to drama because the Emmy's tightened their rules on what can be a comedy between 2014 and 2015: it has to be a half-hour program now.

Congratulations for being another Vaughn breaking a long drought, Fred!
Last edited by Rafferty Barnes on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

As I mentioned earlier this week, I was in the audience for all five of this week's games. I was also staying in the hotel in Culver City where most of the contestants stay, and I watched most of the contestants get on that shuttle bus in the morning to take them to the studio.

One little game I played in my own head: I tried to see whether I could guess which of the contestants boarding that bus was the defending champion, just based on their body language and demeanor.

My guess (incorrect, as it turns out) was that Colin was the defending champion.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
grindcore wrote:I was pretty certain of OITNB for final, but the fact that it was a correct response in final something like a year ago led me to doubt it a little.
Not just as a correct FJ response, one in another Vaughntourage game! http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4772

Congratulations for being another Vaughn breaking a long drought, Fred!
This was a case of a little too much knowledge doing me in; I recalled that exact Final clue and thus rejected OITNB as having been used too (relatively) recently, a thought which in hindsight, should not have borne on my thought process. After running through Scandal and Veep, I settled on an even worse option - Modern Family.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

I, too, remember this clue from a previous FJ was surprised they re-used it; but I couldn't think of anything that fit the clue better so went with it. My most common complaint about that show is that it can't decide what it wants to be; not quite funny enough to get me laughing, not quite dramatic enough to get me invested in character outcome.

They've already had a clue on Daredevil, Sense8, multiple clues on House of Cards and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt each; I'd bet a lot of money they're going to have clues about Narcos/Jessica Jones/Master of None/Making a Murderer in the coming months.

And congrats to Fred on the 4th win, although I was hoping he'd do it more impressively. We see if he locks up ToC tomorrow.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Austria (4), Air (3), Skill (3), Tech (0), Pro (3), "Con" (4)
"Z" (0), Zoology (0), Pop (2), Nonfiction (2), 19th Century (3), Mix (3)

Lach Trash: Stephen Decatur.

Veep was my first choice and Orange is the New Black was the second. I remember that Veep was an answer a few days ago, so in hindsight I probably should have changed my answer.
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Say what you will about Fred's pace of play. He's the first four day champ of the season, I think he can play however he wants. He's like Hong Kong Phooey, the mild-mannered citizen living a double life as the number-one super guy.

Nailed OITNB, and didn't remember the previous Final clue that may have dissuaded me. Overall a poor game by my standards, although my mother did turn her head at final and say "how did you know that?," which is always a confidence booster.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Fred on his fourth win. Not his best-played game, but he has a knack for being the last player standing. And this makes it very likely that he'll be in the TOC, no? Of course, he can seal the deal for sure with a win tomorrow, but now he has to go up against another boardie . . .

(BTW, he pronounced zabaglione as "za-buh-loh-nee." Is that a plausible pronunciation (as opposed to "zah-buh l-yoh-nee")?

LT for me on advent, savvy, Union Pacific, history, and Decatur.

Instaget FJ. I'm a huge, huge fan of OITNB; I've seen every episode and have also read the book, and can't wait for Season 3, coming in June!

I prefer it when the "mixed bag" category is called "potpourri." :)

Very stoked that I ran the pop music category, considering my well-documented struggles with pop culture (including on last night's online test).

A couple of posters above have mentioned overvalued clues. How about cheetah at $1,200, spotted "swift African cat"? Conversely, maybe it's just me, but I thought "Man on the Flying Trapeze" was somewhat undervalued at $200. I can't be the only one here who had NHO that 1868 song, can I?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ I had it sort of, but I clammed since I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to risk mangling it (one of many reasons behind my $0 Coryat today).

However, I was 9001% sure that FJ! could absolutely not, under any circumstances, possibly be OITNB. Now do you see why I don't trust my own brain most of the time?
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I had no idea where to go with this. OITNB briefy flitted through my head, but I rejected it as not fitting the category. They wouldn't give an Emmy to a Netflix show? Clearly wrong.
The clue didn't say anything about the show having won, just that it was nominated; it lost in both categories, to Modern Family in 2014 and Game of Thrones in 2015.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I was a bit concerned for Fred when he fell to a distant third in the first round. Was thinking, "this could be the game he tanks". Nice comeback in DJ, and I think it was fortunate he was in second instead of third, knowing his random wagering record. This time he overwagered. Will he underwager from the lead again tomorrow? I'm hoping he will finally put together a solid runaway and secure that ToC reservation.