Wednesday, January 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mfc248 »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I had no idea where to go with this. OITNB briefy flitted through my head, but I rejected it as not fitting the category. They wouldn't give an Emmy to a Netflix show? Clearly wrong.
The clue didn't say anything about the show having won, just that it was nominated; it lost in both categories, to Modern Family in 2014 and Game of Thrones in 2015.
I think what TPH is driving at here is that, the way he saw it, OITNB is not a "television program" as it does not air on a broadcast or cable network. I had much the same thought when it appeared in Final during Vaughn's original run (when the category was simply "television"), although that didn't stop me from getting it then.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

[quote="hbomb1947"]Conversely, maybe it's just me, but I thought "Man on the Flying Trapeze" was somewhat undervalued at $200. I can't be the only one here who had NHO that 1868 song, can I?[/quote]

Never heard it.

Veep for Fj, just to have something. The way the games have gone so far, Fred with 4 games is looking very good for ToC.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 »

hbomb1947 wrote:Conversely, maybe it's just me, but I thought "Man on the Flying Trapeze" was somewhat undervalued at $200. I can't be the only one here who had NHO that 1868 song, can I?
"Man on the Flying Trapeze" came to me immediately, but I was *sure* that I was forgetting a word prior to "man." It took me the rest of the Alex's reading to convince myself that I may as well try it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Daring young man on the flying trapeze.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I said daring young man on the flying trapeze too. But just once.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

hbomb1947 wrote:Congrats to Fred on his fourth win. Not his best-played game, but he has a knack for being the last player standing. And this makes it very likely that he'll be in the TOC, no? Of course, he can seal the deal for sure with a win tomorrow, but now he has to go up against another boardie . . .

(BTW, he pronounced zabaglione as "za-buh-loh-nee." Is that a plausible pronunciation (as opposed to "zah-buh l-yoh-nee")?

LT for me on advent, savvy, Union Pacific, history, and Decatur.
Same thoughts above but the odd pronunciation on za-bah-lee-o-ni is acceptable given dialect variation and the general principle on J! that you can buy a vowel but not a consonant.
Another "VEEP" here; it was a tossup if you didn't watch the Emmys... which I never do. O well!

Admittedly it was fairly slurred. Got the same LT and 45R plus Sylvia Plath > Lazy Lazarus; Forge; valve, Toynbee's History of the Decline and Fall. Pretty fair performance for cramming & prepping.

FYI it took almost two hours for my test status to post 'Taken" from "Incomplete" so don't panic! It's tremendous lag... DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW, IT IS STILL PROCESSING!!! :o :!:
Last edited by goatman on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goatman wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Congrats to Fred on his fourth win. Not his best-played game, but he has a knack for being the last player standing. And this makes it very likely that he'll be in the TOC, no? Of course, he can seal the deal for sure with a win tomorrow, but now he has to go up against another boardie . . .

(BTW, he pronounced zabaglione as "za-buh-loh-nee." Is that a plausible pronunciation (as opposed to "zah-buh l-yoh-nee")?

LT for me on advent, savvy, Union Pacific, history, and Decatur.
Got the same LT and 45R plus Sylvia Plath > Lazy Lazarus; Forge; valve, Toynbee's History of the Decline and Fall. Pretty fair performance for cramming & prepping.
If valve was LT, I picked up that one too.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

Did they say that a forge is a place that metal is melted? If you're melting metal, that's casting, not forging. I don't remember what the exact wording was, but it seems like they should have accepted "smelt". And they should have given Fred "ep" for "adept". If you want the whole word, say you want the word. And Fred does seem a bit like a a live-action Eeyore.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

aeq5006 wrote:And they should have given Fred "ep" for "adept". If you want the whole word, say you want the word.
The clue specifically asked for a word. "Fill in AD __ _ T and you're this skillful word."
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Winchell Factor wrote:I said daring young man on the flying trapeze too. But just once.
I sang it. The entire first verse. I had one of those cheapo stand up toy pianos as a kid, with numbers on the keys and a book of songs that was transcribed that way; The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze was one of the first songs I learned. (Then I figured out any song with only notes 0-9 could be played on a push button phone, and accidentally dialed Europe, back in the days of long distance calling. Parents were not happy, but who knew "Hot Cross Buns" would connect me to Lithuania or whatever it was? :P)
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

hbomb1947 wrote:If valve was LT, I picked up that one too.
Pretty sure Colin got that one.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

aeq5006 wrote:Did they say that a forge is a place that metal is melted? If you're melting metal, that's casting, not forging. I don't remember what the exact wording was, but it seems like they should have accepted "smelt".
cbec was saying the same thing over lunch! Well, I think he was saying that the question had no real right answer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BennyBXB wrote:Say what you will about Fred's pace of play. He's the first four day champ of the season
Matt Jackson may have lost in the TOC, but his 13 wins are still a high point of the season for regular play victories.

I wonder if Holly Holm needs to shop for a new TV? :)

There is no way I could even pinpoint the first time the "Trapeze" song hit my radar. Cartoons? Going to the circus? Game shows? Whenever it was it was before middle school. I also included "Daring Young" as part of my response tonight.

The other "circus" songs I could name are "The Loveliest Night of the Year" and "Entry of the Gladiators" although they probably have more hoity toity classical music titles. If you don't recognize them by title then take a listen on YouTube. I bet they are familiar.

I posted this in the FJ! Clues thread in September:
MarkBarrett wrote:THE EMMY AWARDS (10/22/08)

A former Screen Actors Guild president, he's the only actor to win both comedy & drama Emmys for playing the same character

Ed Asner now has company for the dual victories since Uzo Aduba won tonight for playing "Crazy Eyes" in Orange is the New Black. The show was under the comedy category last year and drama this year.
So...no problem for me solving tonight's FJ! clue. Thank you writers.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The only thing that came to mind for me for FJ was "Transparent."
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

naurae29 wrote:
aeq5006 wrote:Did they say that a forge is a place that metal is melted? If you're melting metal, that's casting, not forging. I don't remember what the exact wording was, but it seems like they should have accepted "smelt".
cbec was saying the same thing over lunch! Well, I think he was saying that the question had no real right answer.
The clue read
To shape molten metal, or the furnace used to melt metal.
I agree it's a flawed clue. Forging is not done with molten metal. Very hot metal at times, yes, but molten, no.
OCSam
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

naurae29 wrote:
Yup. Forging is smacking hot (but still solid) metal with a hammer. If you smack molten metal with a hammer, you just get splashes of molten metal.
Last edited by cbec on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
The other "circus" songs I could name are "The Loveliest Night of the Year" and "Entry of the Gladiators" although they probably have more hoity toity classical music titles. If you don't recognize them by title then take a listen on YouTube. I bet they are familiar.
I just listened to the Trapeze song and "Loveliest Night of the Year" on YouTube, and neither seemed familiar.

I find it amusing that the more hoity-toity title for "Entry of the Gladiators" (a song which which I am thoroughly acquainted) is very similar to its popular title: "Entrance of the Gladiators op. 68." (although according to wikipedia, the composer Fucik originally titled it "Grande Marche Chromatique," but changed the name due to his interest in ancient Rome).
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

OrangeSAM wrote:The clue read

To shape molten metal, or the furnace used to melt metal.
I agree, shaping molten (liquid) metal is casting. Smelting is incorrect, as smelting is separating pure metal from its ore.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $22,800
34 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: savvy

Rough game for me, but the online test went well, so no complaints. Fred just keeps finding ways to win. His gets also lead me to believe he could be dangerous in the next TOC if he figures out the wagering thing.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I just listened to the Trapeze song and "Loveliest Night of the Year" on YouTube, and neither seemed familiar.

I find it amusing that the more hoity-toity title for "Entry of the Gladiators" (a song which which I am thoroughly acquainted) is very similar to its popular title: "Entrance of the Gladiators op. 68." (although according to wikipedia, the composer Fucik originally titled it "Grande Marche Chromatique," but changed the name due to his interest in ancient Rome).
Wow, you actually took me up on my suggestion to listen to the music. I guess coming from a TV-watching, dad on Name That Tune household slants what I think people might know in the music area.

I thought of one more what I consider well-known "circus" song that I know J! uses, "Sabre Dance" by Khachaturian.