Friday, January 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7225, 2016-01-29

CONTESTANTS
Sandy Hall, a nurse residency program manager originally from Evansville, Indiana
Chris Becker, a bus driver and trainer from Orlando, Florida
Mara Apostol, a criminal defense attorney from Miami, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you very much. Hi, folks. Good news for whoever wins today's game. Not only do they get to relax for the entire weekend, but they get to relax for the next two weeks because coming back on Monday, we have the beginning of our annual College Championship. That's always an exciting two weeks. Sandy and Chris, I'm happy to welcome you two to the program today. And, Mara, good to see you again. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories for you. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHICH NYC BOROUGH? (5/5)
ANAGRAMMED BOOKS OF THE BIBLE (5/5)
ALPHABET SOUP (5/5)
LONG-RUNNING SITCOMS (4/5)
DOUBLE-LETTER BRANDS BY SLOGAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PO PRESENTS UNCONVENTIONAL WARRIORS (4/5) (Po: I'm Po, the Dragon Warrior, presenting five other unconventional warriors.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mara: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Chris: 10 R, 0 W
Sandy: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mara found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Mara had $2,800, Chris had $1,400, and Sandy was at $2,400. Mara made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

DOUBLE-LETTER BRANDS BY SLOGAN $800: "The toughest 4-letter word on wheels"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mara: $5,600
Chris: $2,400
Sandy: $2,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sandy Hall is from Evansville, Indiana. Sandy, as you'll recall, I'm sure, yesterday on the program, one of our contestants was named Phyllis. And she told us that she was named after her mother's cat. You were not named after an animal, but you were named after somebody very well-known.

Sandy: I was. My dad was a huge fan of Sandy Koufax. Uh, the Dodgers pitcher. And so he named me after him.

Alex: Okay, well, Sandy's a great name because it can apply to a son or a daughter.

Sandy: Absolutely.

Alex: So he lucked out. He got you.

Alex: Chris Becker is a bus driver and trainer from Orlando, Florida, who is into doing good works for other people. And I'm thinking now of donating blood. Where we hear the, uh, Red Cross ask for blood donations, you've taken it to the Nth degree.

Chris: Not as many as some, but, uh, I have donated over 5 gallons of blood in my lifetime. Obviously, not all at one time.

Alex: Gosh, I hope not.

[Sandy laughs.]

Alex: You're looking good even though you've donated all that blood.

Chris: Thank you.

Alex: Uh, now we come to Mara Apostol from Florida. She's our champion. She's part of a monthly cupcake competition?

Mara: Yes, I used to partake in a cupcake competition. Every month there was a theme, and you had to make cupcakes along that theme. So for example, one time, it was "honor someone's birthday". And it happened to be Robert's--Robert Frost's birthday around that time. So I made--I used chocolate filigree for the first time and make a cupcake that was lovely, dark, and deep. Um, chocolate that was lovely, dark, and deep. Yeah.

Alex: I get it.

[Laughter]

Mara: Really?

Alex: I--I know--I know some poems, too, you know.

Mara: Good to know.

[Laughter]

Alex: Now let's play "stump the host".

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LONG-RUNNING SITCOMS $600: On "The Simpsons" this character said, "You may remember me from such medical films as 'Alice Doesn't Live Anymore'"
(Alex: Great title there.)

PO PRESENTS UNCONVENTIONAL WARRIORS $800: (Po delivers the clue.) I'm a big fan of this Shakespeare knight but Prince Hal ends up telling him, "the grave doth gape for thee thrice wider"--c'mon, that's not what you say to an old buddy

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mara: $7,800
Chris: $5,800
Sandy: $5,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ROTTEN TOMATOES (4/5)
WHERE'S THAT BOOK? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: And next, we have an interesting twist to [*]. You'll see when we get into the category.)
SENIOR-ITIS (3/5)
STARTS & ENDS WITH DIFFERENT VOWELS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE (5/5)
BAND WITH (4/5) (Alex: ...not width.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chris: 14 R, 1 W
Sandy: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Mara: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sandy snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mara had $9,400, Chris had $9,000, and Sandy was at $7,400. Sandy wagered $2,000.

WHERE'S THAT BOOK? $1600: Max is wearing his wolf suit & causing mischief at the start of this Sendak classic

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sandy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Mara had $11,400, Chris had $9,000, and Sandy was at $10,600. Sandy wagered $2,000.

STARTS & ENDS WITH DIFFERENT VOWELS $1200: A term for military weapons, ammunition & combat vehicles; insert an "I" & you get a statute
(Alex: Anything coming?)
(Sandy: No.)
(Alex: No. The correct response--what is [*]? And if you insert the "I", it's an ordinance.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROTTEN TOMATOES $1600: In 2013 Russian activists pelted King Willem-Alexander of this country with tomatoes

SENIOR-ITIS $1600: This "Father of the Waltz" (& of Jr.) composed more than 150 waltzes

SENIOR-ITIS $2000: Around 1830 this pere wrote a series of historical plays like "Napoleon Bonaparte"

BAND WITH $1600: Richie Sambora on guitar
(Chris: Who is Guns N' Roses?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Chris: $21,400
Mara: $12,200
Sandy: $9,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Chris: Wager $3,001 to cover Mara.
Mara: You have the hope of surpassing Chris if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,201 to force Chris to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Sandy.
Sandy: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $9,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He wrote, "As life and fortune are risked by serving his majesty, it is necessary that the latter shall be secured"

FINAL SCORES
Sandy: $9,800 - $9,799 = $1 (Who was Hamilton?) (3rd place)
Mara: $12,200 - $9,201 = $2,999 (Who is ?) (2nd place)
Chris: $21,400 - $3,001 = $18,399 (Who was Cornwallis?) (New champion: $18,399)
(Alex: [To Chris] "Fortune" very important to [*]. "If I'm be--going to be a traitor to my country, I wanna get paid.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Chris: $21,400, 24 R, 1 W
Sandy: $11,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Mara: $10,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $43,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Chris: 24/58 = .414
Mara: 15/59 = .254
Sandy: 14/60 = .233
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALPHABET SOUP $600: "F" is for this soup with a little cheesy goodness on top

PO PRESENTS UNCONVENTIONAL WARRIORS $200: (Po delivers the clue.) This British admiral, killed during his greatest victory at Trafalgar, was blind in one eye but didn't wear an eyepatch. You know I would have. Nobody messes with you when you wear an eyepatch

PO PRESENTS UNCONVENTIONAL WARRIORS $600: (Po delivers the clue.) In the American Revolution, I would have been grateful to this woman for bringing water in the heat of battle... though Molly Bowl of Noodles & Molly Dessert woutd have been nice to see, too

PO PRESENTS UNCONVENTIONAL WARRIORS $400: (Po delivers the clue.) This Danish master wrote a tale about a brave one-legged tin soldier & his love for a tiny toy dancer; he ended up being melted by the fire into the shape of a heart--sorry, that one always kinda gets me

PO PRESENTS UNCONVENTIONAL WARRIORS $1000: (Po delivers the clue.) Jordan Noble was just 14 when he played the long roll in this 1815 battle, Andrew Jackson's victory over the British; so was a drummer, but's that's OK. We can't alI be, you know, in the thick of the fight
(Alex: And for your information, ladies and gentlemen, Kung Fu Panda 3 opens today nationwide. And I'm sure you all recognize the voice of Jack Black as Po the Panda. And our thanks, Jack.)

SENIOR-ITIS $400: In 1952 Thomas Watson Sr. turned over the presidency of this tech company to Thomas Jr.
(Alex: Yes, Big Blue.)

STARTS & ENDS WITH DIFFERENT VOWELS $1600: You'll find K-I, ki, meaning "energy", within the name of this martial art

THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has officially said that bad weather & poor navigation were to blame for any loss of transports in the area between Miami, Puerto Rico & this island

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jeep
Troy McClure
Sir John Falstaff
Where the Wild Things Are
ordnance
the Netherlands
Johann Strauss
Alexandre Dumas (Père)
Bon Jovi
Benedict Arnold
French onion soup
(Horatio) Nelson
(Molly) Pitcher
Hans Christian Andersen
the Battle of New Orleans
IBM
aikido
Bermuda
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

The American Revolution

He wrote, "As life and fortune are risked by serving his majesty, it is necessary that the latter shall be secured."
Spoiler
Who is Benedict Aronld? Sandy had Hamilton; Mara had nothing; Chris had Cornwallis.
Sandy Hall: $9,800-$9,799=$1

Mara Apostol: $12,200-$9,201=$2,999

Chris Becker: $21,400-$3,001=$18,399
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Mara makes it a TDD in the first round! Mara makes it a TDD in the first round! There is hope after all for proper game play!

Did we all precall the bottom row answer in NYC boroughs?

Don't care if Sandy is a man or a woman, a $2k DD wager accomplishes absolutely nothing. Pure laziness. Or worse.

Why leave $2999 on the table if you're going to lose anyway? Thought about taking away your gold star from the early DD, but decided against it. 8-)

Seems as though everybody overthought FJ, one of those where the blatantly obvious is correct. A solid game by Chris.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"Where the Wild Things Are" as a DD when spotted 'Where' and Sendak?

Alex's pre-reveal comment was pretty much exactly how I read it, and I assumed it would be a triple get. Very surprising TS.

College tournament next. Yay.
Golf wrote:Did we all precall the bottom row answer in NYC boroughs?
I did, but a small part of me wondered if they'd repeat a borough to catch anyone who lazily assumed it would be Queens.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Chris on his win. I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Falstaff, The Netherlands, Alexandre Dumas, and Bon Jovi. I also got the missed DD of ordnance, and I got FJ.
DefCon4
Contributor

Post by DefCon4 »

Congrats to Chris (of course), but everyone played extremely well. I could feel Mara's pain during the Final camera sweep.

Coryat: 42,000
50 R / 0 W
DJ: (3/3) I pulled Jeep out of the same random corner as Mara. It was 4 letters and what else could it be, but it was still a guess.
LT: Troy McClure, Falstaff, Strauss, Bon Jovi
FJ: Not quite an instaget, but not far off. First I had to realize that the words were those of a traitor, and once that was done, it was clear.

What has generally been a very good week for me had a great finish. I was a little slow on the anagrammed bible books (not getting to Genesis at all prior to Mara), but that, albondigas, and the $200 brand and $600 unconventional warriors (didn't write down what those answers or clues were) were all that I clammed on in the round. Little more scattershot in DJ, but I still got 24 right there, including running the band and Western Hemisphere categories.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Easily ran Anagrammed Bible Books.

Lach Trash: Troy McClure (thank you, TV Tropes), ordnance, Bon Jovi.

0/5 in NYC Borough. For some reason, I always lock up on those and can't remember anything other than Manhattan. By time we had it down to just Bronx and Queens, I could still pull neither. Also, Manhattan = city in Kansas is IMO a pretty deep mental dig for $400.

I loved the first two Kung Fu Panda movies. Didn't realize 3 was already out. Recognized nothing in that category, though.

All but French onion in Soup and Steely Dan in Bands.

WLT "umpire" in Vowels for $400?

Precalled Benedict Arnold, because I keep having to remember that he's American Revolution, even though I think his name sounds suited for much earlier times. What the hell, this worked before... look at that, I picked up the TS. Now I really feel bad for chickening out on Wednesday, because I could've ended up with my second 5/5 ever.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Chris on the win. Mara started like gangbusters and I applauded her going TDD in the SJ round (after weeks of seeing contestants wager $1,000 or so in that situation), but Chris had a very strong DJ round. I hated to see Mara lose, but at least it was to another boardie. And tough draw for Mara to have to face Chris in only her second game.

I found the quote in the FJ clue difficult to parse, and it wasn't clear to me that it was uttered by a loyalist / traitor. The best I could come up with was Thomas Paine. I'm looking forward to 2 weeks of easier FJ's. :)

LT for me with Troy McClure, Falstaff, the Netherlands ("Willem" is a prototypical Dutch name), Johann Strauss (that one was Pavlovian), and Dumas.

At first I salivated when the NYC boroughs category came up, but since all the clues in that category were answered correctly by non-New Yorkers in the game, I might have been outbuzzed on some of them if I had been in this game. :)

I really enjoyed the category with the Kung Fu Panda-narrated clues, even if it was blatant product placement.

ETA: Looking at the MCWA's so far, Hamilton and Paine might both make fine poll choices tomorrow. :)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Golf wrote:Did we all precall the bottom row answer in NYC boroughs?
I did, but a small part of me wondered if they'd repeat a borough to catch anyone who lazily assumed it would be Queens.
Yeah, it turned out to be disappointing that it was the predictable choice of Queens. And the category just played pretty easy as it's a very limited universe to start with and then one after another got eliminated.

They did have to recycle a borough for the "J!6"; it turned out to be
Spoiler
Brooklyn.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:Seems as though everybody overthought FJ, one of those where the blatantly obvious is correct.
Obvious in hindsight, but blatantly so? Nah. (I had Hamilton.)

Congrats, Chris!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Feeling pretty burned out after cram week and score on this game shows it with a mere 36R and no get on FJ. Ran the Po Panda category, was all history wheelhouse.
This clue suggested Thomas Paine's Common Sense to me; the language is complex and after reading twice it seemed to mean 'wager all to defeat the King.' Tough stuff. Grats cbec!

Few LT: !FALSTAFF! Really!?! brain lock, eh? I know the feeling... no get on Willem-Alexander as King of NL or guys from Bon Jovi. Gonna crawl into bed and sleep for a day now. :?

NYC Boroughs clues well worth reviewing:
Spoiler
Staten Island > ferry; Manhattan > Same named city in Kansas; Brooklyn > Coney Island AND from J!6; Barclays Center, Home to NY Islanders is also in Brooklyn; Bronx >Only borough entirely on the mainland (not exactly true, as a small portion is on an island, see map!); Queens = site of 1964 & 2014 World's Fairs in Flushing Meadows, so named as it was a former garbage dump.
NYC Boroughs always recurring, here we had a whole category devoted to them, better know them cold:

Last edited by goatman on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Big congrats to longtime boardie cbec! Definitely expected to see you win tonight and you came through. [fist bump emoji]
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

goatman wrote: NYC Boroughs clues well worth reviewing:
Spoiler
Queens = site of 1964 & 2014 World's Fairs in Flushing Meadows, so named as it was a former garbage dump.
The World's Fairs in question were in 1939 and 1964.
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

Thanks to all for the congrats and the retro good luck. I had a great time, and accomplished a few of my J! goals:

1. Saw all 61 clues.
2. Made it to FJ.
3. Became J! Champ!

Still have a few goals left. Let's see how I can do in a couple weeks.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I didn't get this FJ at the time. Rereading it again today, I can see some of the reasons I had trouble parsing it.

There are no first-person pronouns in the clue!

It doesn't say "I would risk my life and fortune by me serving His Majesty." It says that life and fortune are risked by serving His Majesty. So the words don't necessarily have to be the words of a loyalist. It could be someone who supported the revolution, simply making the observation that staying loyal to the king carried a risk.

The clue also doesn't say "by serving His Majesty contrary to expectations." It doesn't have to be about someone who switched sides.

I think because of the lack of first-person pronouns, and the limited time available, the words "life and fortune are risked by serving His Majesty" led to me having thoughts along the lines of "These times are risky for people in general, for those who support the king -- and probably for those on the other side too." I didn't interpret that part of the clue as saying much more than "These are risky times in general for people."

I also didn't interpret the words "the latter [i.e. fortune] shall be secured" as "a fortune, i.e. a specific sum of money, shall be secured by me." I thought it was saying something much more general, along the lines of "being careful with one's money is generally a good idea."

On top of all of this, I grew up in Canada. I know Benedict Arnold was a famous traitor during the revolution, but I don't think I actually knew that he got money for switching sides. In general, there can be many reasons why people switch sides during a war or revolution, and a financial reward is only one of several possible reasons.

I had Hamilton for my guess, without a ton of confidence, largely based on word association with "fortune" or monetary matters.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

hbomb1947 wrote:
goatman wrote: NYC Boroughs clues well worth reviewing:
Spoiler
Queens = site of 1964 & 2014 World's Fairs in Flushing Meadows, so named as it was a former garbage dump.
The World's Fairs in question were in 1939 and 1964.
Thanks! Missed that detail, went by quickly, yes there were three Fairs!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

What a fun game! I think I even forgave them that Kung Fu Panda thing (sorry, not a fan of commercial tie-ins...) - although being a Jersey gal, gotta give them props for Molly Pitcher.

Was really surprised that none of them got Strauss or Dumas. And Bon Jovi was a TS, too? Thought EVERYONE knew Jon and Richie.

As far as FJ - it was a bit of a strange clue, maybe. Thinking about it through the "music" I figured it would probably be Arnold, or maybe Andre. But another Brit general probably wasn't a bad guess if one had to guess, I suppose.

Congrats, Chris... keep studying during your break :-)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Refreshing to see three good wagers for a change.

Mara must have been anticipating Revelation to ring in and get that so fast. I was quite surprised that Hebrews was a TS and Genesis took a long time for who ever to buzz in on. I had those two instantly.
The Battle of New Orleans was overvalued @ $1000.
I also got the missed DD of Ordnance.
DefCon4 wrote: DJ: (3/3) I pulled Jeep out of the same random corner as Mara. It was 4 letters and what else could it be,
I wanted to say FORD. JEEP never occured to me until Mara said it.
She did good to get Gillette also. I have no conscious memory of hearing that slogan.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Well, it finally happened... I got fifty right! Only took me over a hundred episodes. I don't think I'll break 50 or $43,400 outside of Kids' Week or Teen Tournament.
Congrats to naurae29 on becoming a champ yesterday and cbec on the first of probably 20+ wins. That Final was tough; I wrote down Jefferson just to have something.
Hoping for a third lap