Friday, January 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, January 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkyMarkm »

Great job by Chris, especially in DJ, and he did it all without a single DD. FJ took time but went with Benedict Arnold in the last 10 seconds after having thought about Hamilton.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT "umpire" in Vowels for $400?
Leo Durocher, a very famous baseball manager with a notoriously short fuse.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT "umpire" in Vowels for $400?
Leo Durocher, a very famous baseball manager with a notoriously short fuse.
And a common way to criticize umpires is to call their visual abilities into question.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Does anybody else find Jack Black as unfunny as I find Jack Black unfunny?

Nobody not from Saskatchewan can pronounce Saskatchewan.
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

jwatcher16 wrote:
Was really surprised that none of them got Strauss or Dumas. And Bon Jovi was a TS, too? Thought EVERYONE knew Jon and Richie.

As far as FJ - it was a bit of a strange clue, maybe. Thinking about it through the "music" I figured it would probably be Arnold, or maybe Andre. But another Brit general probably wasn't a bad guess if one had to guess, I suppose.

Congrats, Chris... keep studying during your break :-)
Yeah, I knew Bon Jovi, but for some reason, I get Richie Sambora and Slash mixed up all the time. As soon as AT negged me, I thought, "What? Not GnR? Crap, it's Bon Jovi!"

For FJ, I had never heard anything like the quote in the clue, and I could only follow it as far as someone in charge of protecting the King's wealth. Luckily for me, Mara didn't get it either.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats cbec! Well played game all 'round.

I couldn't parse fj either. Somehow I thought the "latter" referred to "his majesty", and I never made sense of the sentence. I guessed Cornwallis to have a loyalist name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yay cbec! Way to go!

The best I could do in parsing FJ was to think they were willing to die to have their fortune, so I went with Patrick Henry. Was quite surprised by Alex's comment before the reveals. Ah well.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

NYC (5), Bible (3), Alpha (3), Sitcom (3), Slogan (2), Panda (4)
Rotten (5), Book (2), Senior (4), Vowel (1), Western (4), Band (4)

Lach Trash: Netherlands, Johann Strauss, Alexandre Dumas, Bon Jovi.

I focused too much on the word "majesty" and just thought of Thomas Paine writing about the monarchy in Common Sense.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Saddest TS of the year: Troy McClure. One of the best peripheral characters in TV history.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MDaunt wrote:Does anybody else find Jack Black as unfunny as I find Jack Black unfunny?
I'm sure there are others, but I've enjoyed him going back to "Mr. Show."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTy1Qyl03kI
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Got FJ but it took me a bit and I wasn't sure. Missed both Jeep (I said Hess thinking of the toy trucks for some reason) and Ordnance (I even paused the DVR because I thought it was on the tip of my tongue, but I was nowhere near it.)

Disappointed no one got Troy McClure, but that is fairly obscure for Jeopardy. I was surprised they drew the triangle for the clue asking for Bermuda.

Surprised we got all the clues in the first round considering we had the obligatory corporate synergy category. (Never mock synergy Lemon, it's bigger than all of us.)

Congrats to Chris, and looking forward to the College Tournament.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Say something on a Daily Double clue whether playing at home or having $2800 show money on the line. Way to get Jeep under the wire for Mara.

If Strauss was a TS then I wonder how a category of regulars like the Bs and the Schu-s would have played.

I'm seeing a good mix of names guessed incorrectly for the FJ! clue with Hamilton, Paine, Cornwallis, Jefferson, Henry...

Paine for me going off, "wrote" over "fortune" for Hamilton. Alex did not have to say much after time was up for me to realize how I should have processed the clue. Peter Brady did not help me out for this one as I would have needed 10,000 pounds or Fort Ticonderoga in the wording.

A very nice 21,400 debut Coryat for Chris. Hope you get to play a DD next month.

What was the pirouette Alex did during credits about?
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

Golf wrote:Why leave $2999 on the table if you're going to lose anyway?
Hey, remember how yesterday I went straight for the math category?

There was nothing to gain from going all in. If I got it right and cbec got it wrong, my wager guaranteed that I was going to win. In any other right/wrong scenario, no wager would increase my chances of winning. This isn't hindsight talking, I knew this at time.

But how could I possibly be so sure? Well, because I knew Chris was a boardie and that he watched The Final Wager. And he knew the same about me. We even briefly discussed Thursday's wagering right before our game. Chris was wagering to cover, no doubt about it.

Since the extra $2999 couldn't possibly increase my chances of winning, why would I risk coming in third by going all in?

Look, we all enjoy analyzing contestants' decisions. But game theory operates a little differently when you have information. It's certainly true that not all J! contestants have information about each other. But sometimes they do. And in those cases, the mindgames aren't as speculative as they may seem to viewers at home.

My enthusiastic congratulations to Chris, whose breadth of knowledge and skill with the buzzer impressed me tremendously (as soon as I got over the immense frustration of not even getting in before him on the Canada question).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $46,000
54 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: ordnance (DD), Johann Strauss, Alexander Dumas, Bon Jovi

Well, that was a dream game for me, even with the "c'mon, it can't be that easy, can it?" clams on Queens and The Netherlands. I bet it was even more of a dream for you, cbec! Congrats and good retroluck!

Fun fact: my wife and I had albondigas on our first date.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yay cbec! Great game!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

cbec wrote:Thanks to all for the congrats and the retro good luck. I had a great time, and accomplished a few of my J! goals:

1. Saw all 61 clues.
2. Made it to FJ.
3. Became J! Champ!

Still have a few goals left. Let's see how I can do in a couple weeks.
Congratulations! You certainly dominated most of DJ.
mujason

Post by mujason »

If everybody had guessed Major Andre on Final, it would have been the opposite of the Final from Joon Pahk's sixth game (where everybody guessed Arnold instead of Andre).

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3733
-Jason
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

naurae29 wrote:
Golf wrote:Why leave $2999 on the table if you're going to lose anyway?
Hey, remember how yesterday I went straight for the math category?

There was nothing to gain from going all in. If I got it right and cbec got it wrong, my wager guaranteed that I was going to win. In any other right/wrong scenario, no wager would increase my chances of winning. This isn't hindsight talking, I knew this at time.

But how could I possibly be so sure? Well, because I knew Chris was a boardie and that he watched The Final Wager. And he knew the same about me. We even briefly discussed Thursday's wagering right before our game. Chris was wagering to cover, no doubt about it.

Since the extra $2999 couldn't possibly increase my chances of winning, why would I risk coming in third by going all in?

Look, we all enjoy analyzing contestants' decisions. But game theory operates a little differently when you have information. It's certainly true that not all J! contestants have information about each other. But sometimes they do. And in those cases, the mindgames aren't as speculative as they may seem to viewers at home.

My enthusiastic congratulations to Chris, whose breadth of knowledge and skill with the buzzer impressed me tremendously (as soon as I got over the immense frustration of not even getting in before him on the Canada question).
Thanks for your thoughts regarding the wager, and congrats on these cool accomplishments.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Congrats to both naurae29 and cbec!!

A few things that popped into my head during tonight's game:

1. if there's a corporate tie-in category, save it for last; I'm guessing they have to show all 5 clues. Same with "off-site guest reader" categories like the Children's Hospital one.

2. take your time on Daily Doubles, as Alex Jacob suggested. My instinct was to yell out "Ford" and get it out of the way, because I'd never heard that motto. I'm curious what Mara's process was – did you know it right away, did you have a hunch, or did you take the full time to tease it out?

3. when faced with a wheelhouse category with a known number of options, head for the bottom. The bottom clue might just become a buzzer race, unless the writers play a trick. Probably not the best to depend on that if you can get the clue cold.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Mara's Wager

Post by Category 13 »

naurae29 wrote: But how could I possibly be so sure? Well, because I knew Chris was a boardie and that he watched The Final Wager. And he knew the same about me. We even briefly discussed Thursday's wagering right before our game. Chris was wagering to cover, no doubt about it.
During the last commercial break, I always have the pre FJ scores written down and figure out what I would 'recommend' each contestant wager.
I had your 'preferred' wager written down as $7401, as that would cover Sandy's doubled score and be enough to beat Chris on a R-R-W reveal.
I usually frown on wagering to cover the standing lead score by a dollar, but after thinking about it for a minute, I realized $9201 was a better play in this particular situation than assuming the leader would make the expected minimal cover wager. If Chris had anticipated that you would wager to cover third place (as you did in the previous game), he just might try to out fox you with a zero wager, since his fall back score of $18,399 would otherwise be vulnurable to both Sandy or you.
I realized you still had to get it correct to cover Sandy, so it was justified to go the extra $1800.
And if Sandy wagers anything more than $6800, you still secure 2nd place on a TS.