Article on "The Ugly, Sexist Aftermath of Appearing on 'Jeopardy"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Article on "The Ugly, Sexist Aftermath of Appearing on 'Jeopardy"

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Article on "The Ugly, Sexist Aftermath of Appearing on 'Jeopardy"

Post by Bamaman »

Based on stories women shared here about a certain former boardie, I am not surprised at this. The only social media about the show I see other than this place is Facebook and if people are like that on there, I'd hate to imagine what all happens on more anonymous sites the show can't control.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

While nothing is foolproof, I would think the best thing would be for Jeopardy and other shows to stop using last names of the players.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

triviawayne wrote:While nothing is foolproof, I would think the best thing would be for Jeopardy and other shows to stop using last names of the players.
That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, would be an extreme overreaction, and is also something that no game show I know of has ever done. And I know that if I get The Call, I want to proudly hear Johnny Gilbert announce my full name (even though I would want my podium to say "H-Bomb") -- partly because I'm my parents' son. And also, I would want my alma maters and employer to be able to brag about me having been on the show -- and for random people watching to say "Hey, I know that guy!" or "I know his family!"
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Batraxos
Multiple Swimmer

Post by Batraxos »

hbomb1947 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:While nothing is foolproof, I would think the best thing would be for Jeopardy and other shows to stop using last names of the players.
That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater, would be an extreme overreaction, and is also something that no game show I know of has ever done. And I know that if I get The Call, I want to proudly hear Johnny Gilbert announce my full name (even though I would want my podium to say "H-Bomb") -- partly because I'm my parents' son. And also, I would want my alma maters and employer to be able to brag about me having been on the show -- and for random people watching to say "Hey, I know that guy!" or "I know his family!"
I agree. I want to hear my whole name, although I am female, and would not welcome that sort of attention (as if anyone does).
I've lived in seven states and have lost touch with some folks I'd like to hear from.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Aside from Rachel "Steve" Cooke, who had a name conflict, I'm not sure if this is permissible under the rules. The first name you choose for your intro is what goes on your podium.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There was a woman a couple years ago that had her last name on her podium. I imagine if you wanted to be introduced as James but went by Jim (for example) they'd allow it.

I don't know if they've ever allowed a complete nickname and I think they might frown on something like H-bomb.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Bamaman wrote:There was a woman a couple years ago that had her last name on her podium. I imagine if you wanted to be introduced as James but went by Jim (for example) they'd allow it.

I don't know if they've ever allowed a complete nickname and I think they might frown on something like H-bomb.
I look forward to finding out. :D

But we haven't gotten to that bridge yet.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I believe Dr. Oz was introduced by Johnny as Mehmet Oz but his podium said Dr. Oz, which is how Alex called him.

Granted this was Celebrity J!, but hbomb' case is similar as just like Dr. Oz is something a great number of people know Mehmet as, a great number of people (including several of us) know this boardie simply as hbomb, a nickname he uses a lot. (It would also help if he was playing against someone with the same first name(.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:I believe Dr. Oz was introduced by Johnny as Mehmet Oz but his podium said Dr. Oz, which is how Alex called him.

Granted this was Celebrity J!, but hbomb' case is similar as just like Dr. Oz is something a great number of people know Mehmet as, a great number of people (including several of us) know this boardie simply as hbomb, a nickname he uses a lot. (It would also help if he was playing against someone with the same first name(.
Crikey! It's the double open parentheses! These are very rarely spotted in the wild!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:I believe Dr. Oz was introduced by Johnny as Mehmet Oz but his podium said Dr. Oz, which is how Alex called him.

Well, I'm pretty confident that there are few if any other people with my first name in the contestant pool. :) And according to the j-archive, no contestant who shares my first name has appeared on the show since Season 22. So I would be unlikely to get any help from that factor. :)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

jeff6286 wrote:

Crikey! It's the double open parentheses! These are very rarely spotted in the wild!
))

(whew, that was close.)
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

That's not a nickname, though - that's a title, with a surname that was used during the introduction.

I'm curious whether there is a precedent for it, for J! trivia purposes. The info sheet I received via e-mail when I got The Call had spaces for "Name," "From," "Occupation" and "Tape Date," and the instructions read: "(Please write your first name EXACTLY as you intend to sign-in with your tele-writer, and your occupation and where you are from just as you wish to be introduced)."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:

That's not a nickname, though - that's a title, with a surname that was used during the introduction.

I'm curious whether there is a precedent for it, for J! trivia purposes. The info sheet I received via e-mail when I got The Call had spaces for "Name," "From," "Occupation" and "Tape Date," and the instructions read: "(Please write your first name EXACTLY as you intend to sign-in with your tele-writer, and your occupation and where you are from just as you wish to be introduced)."
Good to know...

I will fill out my paperwork with Night Train/POTUS/Shmahasville
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

First off, there are all sorts of ignorant, foul-mouthed idiots out there that insist on proving such. And they obviously watch Jeopardy. They existed before social media, they exist during social media, they will exist after social media is a thing of the past. It is sad that people say the things they say.

But it seems people demand a double standard, they want to be plugged in all the time. They want the masses to read about what they do, but then they want the masses to say only good things and complain when they do not. If you're a Jeopardy contestant on social media, you know you're going to get the full spectrum of comments. If you don't want that either don't be a contestant or don't be on social media.

Regardless, and sadly, nothing in that article should be eye opening in the least.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote:First off, there are all sorts of ignorant, foul-mouthed idiots out there that insist on proving such. And they obviously watch Jeopardy. They existed before social media, they exist during social media, they will exist after social media is a thing of the past. It is sad that people say the things they say.

But it seems people demand a double standard, they want to be plugged in all the time. They want the masses to read about what they do, but then they want the masses to say only good things and complain when they do not. If you're a Jeopardy contestant on social media, you know you're going to get the full spectrum of comments. If you don't want that either don't be a contestant or don't be on social media.

Regardless, and sadly, nothing in that article should be eye opening in the least.
Your equivalent of "don't read the comment section" is not acceptable.

People should be able to be a contestant on a game show without having to risk being harassed for doing so.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf

Post by Golf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Golf wrote:First off, there are all sorts of ignorant, foul-mouthed idiots out there that insist on proving such. And they obviously watch Jeopardy. They existed before social media, they exist during social media, they will exist after social media is a thing of the past. It is sad that people say the things they say.

People should be able to be a contestant on a game show without having to risk being harassed for doing so.
There's no risk if you're not on social media opening yourself up to countless idiots.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Golf wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:

There's no risk if you're not on social media opening yourself up to countless idiots.
Your theory is untrue. Regardless of whether or not a contestant is on social media, people make comments like this in places where a contestant can see them, or - as happened once in my case after I was on the show - find their real-world addresses and mail them letters.

The "double standard" is that this happens predominately to women contestants, not men. Talia conducted a survey of male contestants and they self-reported that their experience of harassment was not at all comparable.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
Golf wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:

Your theory is untrue. Regardless of whether or not a contestant is on social media, people make comments like this in places where a contestant can see them, or - as happened once in my case after I was on the show - find their real-world addresses and mail them letters.

The "double standard" is that this happens predominately to women contestants, not men. Talia conducted a survey of male contestants and they self-reported that their experience of harassment was not at all comparable.
Golf's theory is also the equivalent of saying that women should not go out alone at night if they don't want to be attacked. It's also known as victim-blaming.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Does the JBoard count as social media? Because Zach Horan was contacting female champions here via private messaging. I hardly think that we should encourage jeopardy contestants to NOT be members here.