Tuesday, February 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7237, 2016-02-16

CONTESTANTS
Zach Binney, a Ph.D. student and football analyst from Atlanta, Georgia
Manisha Parekh, a clinical psychologist from Charlotte, North Carolina
Chris Becker, a bus driver and trainer from Orlando, Florida (whose 2-day cash winnings total $18,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hi, folks, and welcome to our program. The bus driver from Disney World in Florida is the one who's been leading the way on the last two shows. Manisha and Zach, I hope you're in good form today to challenge him. Let's go to work. Categories are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SURNAMES (4/4)
THE LOWER 48 (4/5)
YACHTS (4/4)
SIMILAR-SOUNDING WORDS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HISTORY (4/4)
BILLBOARD ALBUM CHART DEBUTS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Zach: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Chris: 8 R, 1 W
Manisha: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chris: $2,400
Manisha: $2,200
Zach: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Pretty soon we'll be into Major League Baseball season, and many folks are familiar with the major league parks. But, Zach Binney, you're familiar with a lot of the minor league parks. And there are some special ones out there.

Zach: Oh, there are some really great ones, yeah. So every summer, my friends and I--uh, we call ourselves "The Scrappy Journeymen with Heart Who Blog the Right Way"--uh, we go around to different regions of the country and go to minor league ballparks. And we've been fortunate enough to go on the field and do promotions and throw out the first pitch, uh, just for writing about the teams. You know, things that you'd never be able to do in the majors. So it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay, of all of the minor league parks you have visited, what's the nicest one?

Zach: The nicest one that's still standing, uh, that I would have to recommend would be, uh, the Humboldt Crabs in Arcata, California. I know the St. Paul Saints moved to a new stadium, but they're a great time, too.

Alex: What about Buffalo? Don't they have a great ballpark?

Zach: Uh, they do. I've only been there for the National Buffalo Wing Festival, not actually for a ball game.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh. Okay.

[Laughs]

Alex: Manisha Parekh from Charlotte, North Carolina. Uh, some months ago, we had a gentleman on our program who was really into roller derby.

Manisha: Mm-hmm.

Alex: You are into roller derby in a different way. You are a participant, right?

Manisha: Yes. I am a member of the Charlotte Roller Girls' B-Dazzlers, uh, Derby Squad. And...

Alex: Now are you--are--are--are there different roles for the players, or--or--or the men and women on the team? Some are runners, some are blockers, some are "beat the crap out of everybody who tries to come up on you"?

[Laughter]

Manisha: Well, everybody beats the crap out of everybody. Otherwise, nobody would join.

Alex: Uh-huh.

[Laughter]

Manisha: Um, it's a great way to get rid of your aggression. Um, but there are two main, um, roles. There's a blocker and then there's a jammer, who is the person who actually scores the points.

Alex: Now if I were on the team, I'd probably be the guy that reaches back like this, grabs your hand, and slings you forward. Right?

Manisha: Gives a whip. Yes.

Alex: Gives a whip... into the lead. All right. We'd win a lot of games.

Alex: Chris Becker, bus driver at Disney World in Florida. You have met... How many thousands of people in your rides?

Chris: Um... literally, hundreds of thousands of people.

Alex: Okay. And is it usually a pleasant experience? Or are there times when there are some folks who really misbehave, and you don't know what to do with them?

Chris: Uh, at the end of the night, there's lots of tired people. Some of the kids can get cranky. They're off my bus within 15 minutes, so...

[Laughter]

Chris: Uh, it's, uh, it's a place where there's a lot--it's a lot of fun for families, and sometimes they have a little too much fun.

Alex: Okay. Nice to know.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Zach found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Chris had $3,600, Manisha had $4,000, and Zach was at $3,200. Zach wagered $1,800.

SIMILAR-SOUNDING WORDS $800: The flower seen here & a metalloid on the periodic table

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SIMILAR-SOUNDING WORDS $200: A house for birds & and a house for bees
(Chris: What are hive and...?)

BILLBOARD ALBUM CHART DEBUTS $800: 2009: "I Dreamed a Dream"

THE LOWER 48 $1000: The highest points in both Pennsylvania & West Virginia lie in this range of the Appalachians
(Zach: What is the Shenandoah?)

SIMILAR-SOUNDING WORDS $1000: Really mean or spiteful & really thick & sticky

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Zach: $5,800
Manisha: $4,000
Chris: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC OBJECTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Exhibited in the British Museum since 1802, it was the centerpiece in a 1999 exhibition called "Cracking Codes"

Chris Becker: 14800+10401=$25201 (3 wins & $52,999)
Manisha Parekh: 8500+5000=13500
Zach Binney: 12600+4401=17001

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rosetta Stone
The game is complete in the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5196
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

If you do not normally watch the credit roll chat, you need to today.

Congrats to Chris on another win. Instaget FJ for me.

I didn't think Alex should have said what Monisha was trying to say. It told the others Wolsey was wrong when she never got that name out correctly.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Another FJ left over from the prior two weeks.

Granted, it's probably a little easier if you've ever been to the British Museum.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought apiary/aviary was a tough start at $200, since it was easy to get snagged on nest/hive.

All but James Taylor in Albums.

I had an inkling this group would TS manga.

Blah blah cracking codes = Rosetta Stone. At least I won't be the person keeping this from 100% this time.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Only thing missing from FJ was a picture of the stone.
Bamaman wrote:I didn't think Alex should have said what Monisha was trying to say. It told the others Wolsey was wrong when she never got that name out correctly.
Oh good, I'm not crazy.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Chris on his third win. I had 41 correct responses including these triple stumpers: "apiary & aviary", Allegheny Mountains, yard, Sir Thomas More, and Sir Walter Raleigh. I also got FJ.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Bamaman wrote:If you do not normally watch the credit roll chat, you need to today.
I don't know the rules about embedding images, so I'll post a link.

http://imgur.com/gd0V22L
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congrats again to our very own cbec!

https://youtu.be/PRHimdak1tk?t=13s
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

With the DD whose correct response was "Uncle Tom's Cabin", I surprised myself by getting it correct, but I was just guessing.

The category mentioned women, and I just randomly picked a work of literature from the 1850s, and I guess my pick was influenced by the fact that it was written by a woman. I didn't actually know that the name "Eva" had any connection to Uncle Tom's Cabin. (Note: I grew up in Canada, not the US, and never read Uncle Tom's Cabin in school.)

I precalled the correct FJ response just based on the category, and was amused to see the clue.

(I didn't know for sure that it was in the British Museum. I knew it was discovered by a Frenchman, and I knew it was discovered around 1799, and I obviously knew it was a famous object associated with codebreaking or decoding.)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

i precalled "Rosetta Stone" and had no reason to change my answer based on an easy clue.

I also swept the "sounds alike" category.

I only knew "Hod carrier" because of a recent NYT crossword puzzle. Definitely a worthwhile pastime for future contestants.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Congrats to Chris on the win. I thought all three players acquitted themselves well, though I wish Manesha had been more aggressive on the DDs. I struggled through a bunch of categories today. Couldn't get my mind on the same track as the writers during Similar Sounding Words. Very impressed by Zach's gets of "perimeters/parameters" and "geranium/Germanium." Similarly did horrible in Flightless Birds and really kicked myself for missing Cassowary. Salvaged my game somewhat by sweeping Women in Poetry.

I ran through a few options in my head before settling on Rosetta Stone but had it in time. I had pre-called the Elgin Marbles so I was at least in the right museum.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Seems like every season there is a Final Jeopardy! about the Rosetta Stone, and every season it is one of the easier non-Kids Week FJs.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Never heard of hod carrier before, learned something today.
FJ was an instaget.
MarkyMarkm
Valued Contributor

Post by MarkyMarkm »

Head immediately went to Code of Hammurabi, but date and British museum immediately went to the right answer. I do think if you are at the Louvre, you should check it out since it isn't particularly well-visited and you can put your face basically right up next to it. I'm surprised there haven't been calls for its repatriation like there have been for the Elgin Marbles and the Rosetta Stone.

Also, Netflix has a pretty good PBS pseudo-documentary (has some parts acted out) on Egypt which has a feature on the translation of the Rosetta Stone, and its well-worth watching, as is the rest of its Egypt mini-documentaries.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:If you do not normally watch the credit roll chat, you need to today.
Totally.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Surname (4), 48 (3), Yacht (4), Word (1), History (3), Billboard (5)
Sir (4), Women (2), Japan (0), Unit (2), Bird (4), "OD" (3)

Lach Trash: Susan Boyle, vicious/viscous, Thomas More, Walter Raleigh; DD: Uncle Tom's Cabin (only because of 1852)

My first thought was an Enigma machine, but there was no way that was correct. I can't believe I didn't think of the Rosetta Stone, as I've answered it correctly before- I just go blank sometimes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Blah blah cracking codes = Rosetta Stone. At least I won't be the person keeping this from 100% this time.
No, that would be me. I missed the 1802 date completely and figured this was a Bletchley Park thing and said What is the Enigma Machine?

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats "Boom Boom" Becker (cbeck)...keep it going.

- Re Roller Derby: Alex mentioned about Fred (previous contestant) as about few months ago. I guess the surgery messed up the timing between filming and airing.
- I hope Manisha doesn't realize that she gifted 20K$ (and more?) to cbeck with the DJ DD wagering.
- This FJ might poll 100%. For FJ, It might be more challenging if the contestants were asked to spell each other's names.

Bad neg with Jenner, instead of Fleming (or was it the other way). Anyways, I have both those names mixed up.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!