Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Hi Vinny! You're not the Vinny V from Jersey that's currently (or maybe just recently finished, I haven't watched lately) killing it on Sports Jeopardy!, are you? (Or is it just Jersey state law that every boy born in the Garden State has to be named Vinny V? ;) )
Check the Sports J threads .... ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Hi Vinny! You're not the Vinny V from Jersey that's currently (or maybe just recently finished, I haven't watched lately) killing it on Sports Jeopardy!, are you? (Or is it just Jersey state law that every boy born in the Garden State has to be named Vinny V? ;) )
Check the Sports J threads .... ;)
Spoiler
I did, but I didn't want to change the post post-facto because spoilers
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And then there's the avatar.

Welcome, Vinny. Always nice to have a higher form of artificial intelligence among us (that's meant as a compliment, BTW).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:And then there's the avatar.
Those don't show up on the mobile version, which is the version I use more often now - due to all the posts I've made I don't want to be turned off by seeing my ugly mug all over the place yet I also don't want to stop giving my inane opinions either. I figure this is a good compromise. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
Those don't show up on the mobile version, which is the version I use more often now - due to all the posts I've made I don't want to be turned off by seeing my ugly mug all over the place yet I also don't want to stop giving my inane opinions either. I figure this is a good compromise. :)
Oh, sure, but make us suffer!
Vinny V
Contributor

Post by Vinny V »

Haha, it might be state law, but I am that guy!
Vinny V
Contributor

Post by Vinny V »

Welcome, Vinny. Always nice to have a higher form of artificial intelligence among us (that's meant as a compliment, BTW).
Haha, thanks! No human should know this much about sports lol. But it'll be nice to start keeping J! scores now!
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

After being a long time lurker around these parts, I have decided to take the plunge and sign up for an account. While I have nowhere near the knowledge base of some of you fine folks here, I do have a great passion for all things trivia, and hope to one day improve enough to consider myself Jeopardy material. Ill be using this board to hopefully join in the conversation and track my progress over time. Looking forward to competing in some of the TDs as well.
RedVespa
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by RedVespa »

Greetings and salutations! I'm Katrina, and have just auditioned this week in Seattle. I've taken the test four times, and this was my first call to audition. I figured that I'd sign up on the site now that I'm swimming in the contestant pool. :D

I'm currently employed as an office administrator for a non-profit society, after spending a number of years working in banking and finance. I studied European history and English literature for my undergrad degree at university, which gave me a really good Classical education. I'm a fan of theatre, and am an enthusiastic volunteer for our local Fringe theatre festival every summer.

Thanks for having me!
the_rick64

Post by the_rick64 »

RedVespa wrote:Greetings and salutations! I'm Katrina, and have just auditioned this week in Seattle. I've taken the test four times, and this was my first call to audition. I figured that I'd sign up on the site now that I'm swimming in the contestant pool. :D
I was at the 9 AM audition! Was pretty cool to meet Kelly from the Clue Crew, that may have been my highlight, tbh. Not getting my hopes up, but I have to say that the people who make that process happen do a great job of making sure, at the very least, that you have a fun time while auditioning.
LPython

Post by LPython »

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. My name's Megan, I'm from Chicago, and I fly out to LA tomorrow for my Tues 3/8 date with Alex. I auditioned in Kansas City on 6/30/15 (2 pm audition, IIRC). I got The Call from Glenn about 3 weeks ago and am stoked to be fulfilling a lifelong dream. I have a 1-year-old daughter who is my life's joy and unending source of vexation! She was supposed to come out with me, but she's currently sick with hand, foot, and mouth disease (0/10, would not recommend). So I get a baby break (yay, sleep) and she gets quality time with the grandparents at home.

I've been DVRing (it's on at 3:30 p.m in Chicago, not great for live viewing), hitting J-Archive, reviewing state capitals, etc. And, of course, trying to not freak out. I've really enjoyed perusing the boards and hope everyone's contributions have given me an edge.
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

LPython wrote:Longtime lurker, first-time poster. My name's Megan, I'm from Chicago, and I fly out to LA tomorrow for my Tues 3/8 date with Alex. I auditioned in Kansas City on 6/30/15 (2 pm audition, IIRC). I got The Call from Glenn about 3 weeks ago and am stoked to be fulfilling a lifelong dream. I have a 1-year-old daughter who is my life's joy and unending source of vexation! She was supposed to come out with me, but she's currently sick with hand, foot, and mouth disease (0/10, would not recommend). So I get a baby break (yay, sleep) and she gets quality time with the grandparents at home.

I've been DVRing (it's on at 3:30 p.m in Chicago, not great for live viewing), hitting J-Archive, reviewing state capitals, etc. And, of course, trying to not freak out. I've really enjoyed perusing the boards and hope everyone's contributions have given me an edge.
Funny that you think you'll be sleeping on your Jeopardy! trip. ;)

Best of luck and have fun!
SlickRick87
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SlickRick87 »

Been on here a bit, but I guess I'll throw out my introduction.

My name's Ricky. I'm an accountant who currently lives in Bentonville, AR, and I grew up in a small town in Southern Oregon called Canyonville. I signed up shortly after my taping (airing 4/8). I wish I would have been on here sooner, because this is a pretty cool place. I've been watching Jeopardy! since I was very young and it was always a dream to be on the show.
Claudetty
Contributor

Post by Claudetty »

Hello! Longtime and sporadic lurker, first-time poster. I am preparing to audition in San Francisco on March 16, looking forward to meeting other auditioners.
I live in Anchorage, Alaska, where I had an audition when the Brain Bus stopped here in 2007. I was crestfallen when my time in the contestant pool expired without an invite to compete. and I've been taking the online tests and hoping to get another audition for the last 7 years.
mmannp

Post by mmannp »

Hello! New Member here.

I recently got "The Call" and my taping is on April 28th.

Right now, I'm looking for as much information as I can to prep for J! and to learn from the collective knowledge of the group here!

I am a Project Manager from Katy, TX and I work at a Specialty Chemical Company. Recently celebrated my 20th Wedding Anniversary and I am the proud mom of three daughters.
hermillion

Post by hermillion »

Longtime visitor and observer, but just recently made my first post.

Recently retired middle-school English teacher, where I also coached the (multi-year district champion) Academic team. Have a head full of trivia/minutiae/garbage that I enjoy sharing with anyone willing or unwilling to listen. Moved last year from Oklahoma to Virginia when I reconnected with a long-ago beau and, in our mid-60s, we are planning to marry. I have two grown children who have not yet seen fit to present me with grandchildren.

I have had two live interviews but have yet to receive the call. When I interviewed in July 2014 I was still teaching full-time, but didn't get fished out of EITHER pool! In 2003 I made something of a name for myself on Millionaire, so I keep telling myself that J! is just scared of me! :D I enjoy playing weekly pub trivia with a group of VA friends, read a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction, listen to oldies radio online, and love to travel.
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Hello! I am a new member from Northern Virginia. I'm a writer and a webmaster, and have two teenagers who often make me feel dim-witted, except that I can beat up on them on Jeopardy!

After playing along from my couch for decades, I finally admitted to myself that one of my lifetime goals is to compete on Jeopardy! When I was In high school I was on our local quiz show, "It's Academic," and many years ago I won a set of encyclopedias and a tote bag on a pilot episode of a PBS quiz show that never aired. That's the total of my television and competition experience.

A couple of weeks ago I auditioned in Washington, DC, and it seemed to go well. Maybe I'll get called, maybe I won't. Maggie Speak must have liked my quip about Donald Trump, because I heard her repeating it to someone else. Can't hurt, right? The most difficult part of the audition, for me, was remembering to continue immediately to select the next clue instead of pausing. ("Phew! I got it right! Whoops, can't relax. Um, where am I?")

I'd like to be better prepared in some of my weak areas. Right now I am concentrating on Geography and Presidents, studying with the help of Anki cards and mnemonic songs. "Geography Now" videos are very helpful also. Already I'm seeing results when I shout out answers from the couch! I have decided that I don't want to clutter my brain with things I do not want to know, at least unless and until I get The Call, so sports and pop music are on the back burner. I'm strong on literature and British history and opera.

Already I have learned a lot from reading this message board. Thanks to all.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

hermillion wrote:In 2003 I made something of a name for myself on Millionaire...
I nominate this for the understatement of the year!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Aunt_Ija
Contributor

Post by Aunt_Ija »

I’ve been lurking for for a year, or so, and recently registered. I love TD and hope to work up the courage to formally enter one some day.

I grew up in Jersey (exit 50 for most of grade and high school), went to college in Indiana and worked in NYC for several years after graduating. In ’82 the love of my life convinced me to join him in Ann Arbor and we still live in the general vicinity.

As for my user id - I grew up in a Polish-American household. My name, Maryanne, translated to Marynia (ma RIN ya) in Polish and it’s what my grandparents called me. My little brother pronounced it Ija (EE ya) and it stuck. To this day my family still calls me Ija and my nieces and nephews call me Aunt Ija.
Peregrinus92

Post by Peregrinus92 »

Hi, my name is Tom.

I grew up in Oklahoma and now I reside near Washington DC. Recently I got to attend the taping at DAR Constitution Hall of some of the upcoming Power Players shows. That was a lot of fun.

I have enjoyed the privilege of playing Jeopardy! 13 times since 1989 (http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2751). My reflexes ain't what they used to be.

Tom Cubbage