LL68: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Re: LL68: For the LLamas

Post by dirkgonnadirk »

i think the current rules of discussion are a bit silly. surely most people have the desire to discuss the questions immediately after they submitted, not the next day. IMO the rule should just be 'don't open the thread until you've submitted for that day', and everything in the thread is open season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dirkgonnadirk wrote:i think the current rules of discussion are a bit silly. surely most people have the desire to discuss the questions immediately after they submitted, not the next day. IMO the rule should just be 'don't open the thread until you've submitted for that day', and everything in the thread is open season.
And what if someone specifically comes to the thread for answers?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dirkgonnadirk wrote:i think the current rules of discussion are a bit silly. surely most people have the desire to discuss the questions immediately after they submitted, not the next day. IMO the rule should just be 'don't open the thread until you've submitted for that day', and everything in the thread is open season.
Lots of people have the desire to discuss their Jeopardy! experience immediately after they tape too. But if you lack any self-control, perhaps neither Learned League nor Jeopardy! is for you.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

First day match results posted -- my starting stats are not good at all.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Huzzah! A 4(4)-2(2) win and an 8th place position (!!!!) to start the season. Definitely better than my start last season. Still a long ways to go, but a nice way to kick things off. :)
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Alright, who else is in the "just got pistol-whipped" club? Had a 1(2) against a 7(5). Second worst score in the Rundle vs second best. And, interestingly, the best and worst scores came from the same bout - 9(6) and 0(1). Today I'm matched up against someone who posted a 4(3) and lost, so hopefully that matchup will be slightly more favorable to me.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I lost 1(2) to 5(4). I could have had a third correct but I said "The Naked Gun: 33 and a Third" instead of just "The Naked Gun" for the film question. And now, I face a fellow boardie who earned a 9(6) tie on MD1.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Days like that make me wish I'd asked for an invite. 6/6 playing from home*. And the BWA on Q6 is actually funny!

* Of course, "Hey, it's Enrico Palazzo!" might be my favorite movie line of all time...
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

It's all downhill from here, because I got lucky with these questions and had all but the Australian one almost instantly, but I won my first ever match 6(5) - 4(4).
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Check that, I have two goals this season: staying out of Rundle E, and winning the Best Wrong Answer award. I'll have a loooot of opportunities for that second one. Although George W. Bushranger was a bit too obvious to get the nod today.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

BennyBXB wrote:Alright, who else is in the "just got pistol-whipped" club? Had a 1(2) against a 7(5). Second worst score in the Rundle vs second best. And, interestingly, the best and worst scores came from the same bout - 9(6) and 0(1). Today I'm matched up against someone who posted a 4(3) and lost, so hopefully that matchup will be slightly more favorable to me.
And that person you're facing today is me. Good luck....I think. ;)

On a related note, who's the only person who missed the Tesla question in my ENTIRE rookie rundle? Yup, that's me. At least it didn't cost me a victory, as my opponent gave me a 0 for it. I put DaimlerChrysler, thinking the link was the whole "two words smashed together with the second word starting with a capital" thing....and didn't even realize the company I put changed names back in like 2007. Oops.
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

ouachiouat wrote:And that person you're facing today is me. Good luck....I think. ;)
Haha, best of luck to you as well! Can't help but feel a bit pessimistic given my performance yesterday.
ouachiouat wrote:On a related note, who's the only person who missed the Tesla question in my ENTIRE rookie rundle? Yup, that's me. At least it didn't cost me a victory, as my opponent gave me a 0 for it. I put DaimlerChrysler, thinking the link was the whole "two words smashed together with the second word starting with a capital" thing....and didn't even realize the company I put changed names back in like 2007. Oops.
I just stabbed at Tesla because of SpaceX. The only other one I knew was The Farmer In The Dell. Always kind make me sad as a kid, hearing that the cheese stood alone. Maybe that's because I was always the cheese at that point in my life.

Hi-ho, the derry-o, the farmer in the dell!
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

The cheese stands alone and Elon Musk. That's all that was occupying my vacuous brain. Lost 1(2)-6(5). :oops:
dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Post by dirkgonnadirk »

seaborgium wrote:
And what if someone specifically comes to the thread for answers?
cheating you mean? i'm not sure that there's a large contingent of people who are willing to cheat but too lazy to use google to do so.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

People also come to this thread to discuss the results, if they won or lost and how they did on defense. Waiting to discuss MD2 answers gives us a full day to discuss MD1.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Argh. Lost day 1 because I swore the bandit's name was Reckless Kelly, which is, in fact, a Yahoo Serious movie about a modern day Ned Kelly. The worst part is I knew his name was Ned!
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

I drank the beer... and so did my opponent (jev?) The only two in R Pacific 1 to go 9(6). I won the shootout, though. Wait, what?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BennyBXB wrote:Check that, I have two goals this season: staying out of Rundle E, and winning the Best Wrong Answer award.
Good luck with that second goal. Thorsten's humor is ... quirky is the best way to put it.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

erak wrote:Argh. Lost day 1 because I swore the bandit's name was Reckless Kelly, which is, in fact, a Yahoo Serious movie about a modern day Ned Kelly. The worst part is I knew his name was Ned!
Last names are sufficient unless questions specifically say otherwise, if you want to save yourself from this fate in the future.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

And we made a video. Good to be back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVKDHa2DEA